1/1

The Two of Us

Seungcheol and Jeonghan met when they were just toddlers. In an instant, they became the best of friends. They were inseparable. Nobody can tear them apart. They’re like twins, have each other’s side.

 

They would always go to the beach and play in the water, swimming and splashing water to each other’s faces. They would always go to the boat yard, playing hide and seek from morning 'til dawn. But there is one place that they love to hang out and play, and that is Seungcheol's room.

 

Years had passed and they were still inseparable. They took the same classes during grade school, middle school, and even high school. They always sat beside each other. People started to get suspicious about them and asked them if they were in a relationship. Both of them would say no and they are just best of friends.

 

Until one rainy, Saturday afternoon, they were at Seungcheol's place, just chatting about random stuff like they always do.

 

"You know Cheol, I think I'm in love." Jeonghan blurted out and Seungcheol was taken aback at what the other had said.

 

"And who's the unlucky one?" Seungcheol said while laughing but there's something pricked in his heart. He doesn’t know if it’s because his best friend doesn’t told him sooner or it’s because it might be someone else.

 

"You'll know soon."

 

“You better tell me who she is or else, I’m gonna kick your .”

 

“Like you’re even gonna do that. I know you love me that much.” Jeonghan said while grinning. “And it’s he, not she.” He added.

 

Seungcheol was surprised. He knew in himself that he was gay but he never yet told anyone about this. He never opened his real uality to other, even to his best friend. He’s scared of what will his father would do to him if he found out that his only son is gay.

 

“Cheol-ah? Are you okay?” Jeonghan asked the other. “You’re spacing out.” He added.

 

“Yeah, I’m okay. I’m just surprised. Didn’t expect that you like .” Seungcheol blurted while laughing. They both laughed at what he said.

 

 

Seungcheol is clearly in love with his best friend. He knew that he was in love with the other when they were 14. It was Seungcheol’s 14th birthday. His father went out to buy a cake for him just as what his father promised him. He waited until it was nearly 11 pm, his birthday coming to an end. Suddenly, the 13 year old Jeonghan knocked on the door and the older sees that the other brought something for him. A cake, a chocolate cake, his favorite.

 

“Seungcheollie! Happy Birthday! I want to be the last one who will greet you!” Jeonghan indeed was the last one to greeted Seungcheol on his 14th birthday and that was the most unforgettable birthday present Seungcheol had ever received.

 

It’s now 4 years since he knew that he loves his best friend, in a romantic way. So the day Jeonghan told him that he was in love, he doesn’t know what to feel. But one thing is for sure, he hopes that he was the one his best friend who’s in love with

 

Jeonghan wanted to surprise Seungcheol on his birthday. He is planning to confess to him because he cannot take it anymore. He wanted his feeling to be acknowledge by his best friend. And his hopes are high that Seungcheol feels the same way.

 

It was Seungcheol’s birthday and his father thrown him a huge birthday party. All his family, relatives, friends are present in the party but Jeonghan is nowhere to be found. Seungcheol kept on calling Jeonghan but it always end up in the voicemail. He wanted to go to the younger’s house to check what’s going on but then, a pair of arms slipped into his waist. He knew those arms very well.

 

“Hannie, you’re late.” Seungcheol turned around to face his best friend.

 

“I’m so sorry, Cheol, something came up.” Jeonghan said to the other. Nothing ever came up. He was just nervous on how he will confess to his best friend. “I need to tell you something.” He whispered into the other’s ears.

 

“About what?” a puzzle faced can be seen on Seungcheol.

 

“Can we talk in private? Just the two of us.”

 

“Yah, Yoon Jeonghan, you’re scaring me.”

 

With that, the two went to Seungcheol’s room, their favorite hideout. Both of them were nervous. Jeonghan being tensed on what he was about to say and Seungcheol being anxious on what Jeonghan would tell him. They sat on the edge of the older’s bed.

 

“Jeonghan, what is it you want to-“

 

Seungcheol was cut off on what he was about to say. A pair of soft lips was pressed onto his own. It was gentle and smooth. Jeonghan removed his lips and Seungcheol frowned at the loss of contact. He looked straight into Jeonghan’s eyes, looking for answers on his muted questions.

 

“Cheol, I like you. No. I love you.” Jeonghan confessed.

 

“I thought I was gonna be the first one to confess.” Seungcheol admitted. “And. I love you too.”

 

“Wait. What? Did I just heard that wrong? Can you say it again?” Jeonghan can’t believe what he’s hearing.

 

“I love you, Yoon Jeonghan.” The sweet confession of Seungcheol melted the heart and ears of Jeonghan. He was in awe. His best friend is also in love with him. They are in love with each other.

 

“So this means, we’re not best friends anymore?” Seungcheol asked.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because, you’re now my boyfriend.” Seungcheol is smiling so widely. Jeonghan is still in the process of sinking in the word ‘boyfriend’ as their label.

 

Days, weeks, months, had passed and yet their love is getting stronger in every second. They are a perfect couple, fitted to each other’s arms, hands intertwined like a match made in heaven, lips molded perfectly just for each other, eyes made for them to see each other’s soul, bodies synchronize while making love, and hearts beating fast for each other.

 

They are so in love.

 

Nobody could ever doubt that.

 

In their world, it’s just the two of them.

 

But in just a blink of an eye, everything changed.