Chapter 6: Smile

Mending of the Hearts

Tao stood in front of the closed door of Luhan's room. He took a few deep breaths trying to ease his racing heart.

"Ok Tao, you can do this" Tao said to himself, closing his eyes before opening the door. When he opened his eyes he guessed that this is how Luhan must have felt when he entered his room for the first time.

The taller male felt unsure, as if he was intruding in the most sacred sanctuary. He looked as the figure that laid face down on the bed moved lightly, probably from crying. He closed the door and placed the bags on the floor, walking up to the bed.

"What do you want Xiumin" Luhan croaked through the pillow. Tao just kept quiet and looked at the boy. Luhan frowned when the only reply he got was silence, if there was something that he knew well from his best friend was that he wasn't the quiet type, he always had something to say.

Luhan could hear light rustling and movement, followed by the feeling of someone walking around and getting besides the bed. When the movement seized he took a glance at his side, eyes widening at the sight.

Next to his bed was the back of Tao’s head, the taller sitting on the floor cross legged and back pressed against Luhan's bed.  Luhan sat up and wiped his tears away, sniffing loudly. He smiled at the taller, being grateful that the he didn't force him to do something that he'd rather not do. The young man would just sit and wait until he was ready, just like he did now.

"Tao" Luhan called, the younger humming and turning to face him. Luhan's breath got caught in his throat when he met Tao's strong yet tender gaze, but he managed to cover it quickly.

"Thanks" Luhan said, wrapping his arms around Tao's shoulders. He felt Tao stiffen at first, probably not used to the contact, but relaxed soon after, leaning his head on Luhan's arms.

They stayed like that until Luhan decided to pull Tao to the bed, so that the other could be more comfortable. Luhan had guessed that Tao would be the one sharing rooms with him since the other's bags were laying on the floor.

Both males now sat on the bed facing each other, legs crossed like pretzels and hands resting on their laps, a comfortable silence falling over them. Luhan once again was caught in the hypnotizing trance that Tao's eyes casted over him every time he looked at the younger. His brows knitted together when he looked at Tao's face, a serious expression having overruled all the other expressions that Tao once had.

"You should smile more often, you look so grumpy all the time" Luhan told the other, pushing the edges of the raven haired man’s mouth, pushing them up with his index fingers. It didn't look like a smile considering that the expression of his eyes didn't match the one of his lips, but Luhan continued nonetheless. When Luhan stretched Tao's mouth until his teeth could be seen he pulled back to admire his work.

Luhan's loud laughter boomed against the walls of the room as he exploded in a fit of laughter. Tao just stared at him before dropping his 'smile'.

"What's so funny?" Tao asked, trying hard not to laugh. Luhan just fell from the bed and kept laughing, clutching his stomach as he wheezed for air.

"You look just like my grandmother when I go visit her" Luhan said in between laughs "she makes that same face" the boy explained, still laughing hard. Tao couldn't help the chuckle that left his mouth at the sight of Luhan. He had to admit, Luhan had a charming smile that you couldn’t help but laugh along with.

"Ha! You laughed, I saw it" Luhan pointed an accusing finger at the younger, who quickly covered his laugh.

Both boys had a small staring contest, mostly Luhan, Tao just stared at the other with his normal face. That was until Tao couldn’t help smile that crept on his face again and Luhan had a brilliant idea.

"Let's go hang out" Luhan suggested with a grin. Tao raised an eyebrow questioningly, Luhan rolling his eyes at the other.

"Come on~, it will be fun" Luhan pleaded "plus you need some fresh air, you're starting to look unhealthy and I really want to distract my brain from what happened earlier" Luhan added poking Tao's cheek.

Tao tried to stand strong against the idea, but the suggestion of the older was really appealing to him, and he really needed to go out some more. What convinced him however, was the fact that the other was feeling uncomfortable and wanted to distract himself. It all ended for Tao when Luhan gave him the puppy eyes. Tao's heart skipped a beat and his very being melted away. A long sigh signaled Luhan that he had won.

Luhan smiled widely and jumped to his feet, dragging Tao along with him. They walked to the living room were Suho was seating on the couch hugging a large bowl of popcorn. When the other male caught sight of the other two, he averted his gaze from the tv and smiled at them.

"Tao and I are going for a walk ok, we'll be back soon" Luhan announced, not even waiting for the answer and dragging the other out the door. They walked down the street, Luhan's curious eyes looking at everything with pure glee. Tao just looked up ahead, not really paying attention to anything in particular.

Luhan gave a side glance at Tao. Now that he looked at the boy carefully, he could actually see how this new way of behaving suited more with his body. Sure he missed a lot the younger's old ways, but it was weird seeing someone so tall and manly acting like a little kid, and sometimes even like a girl.

"Is everything alright?" Tao asked, just looking up front. Luhan's breath got stuck in his throat when Tao asked him that, realizing that he had actually turned his head to look at Tao.

"We can go back if you're not feeling well" Tao continued, turning to face Luhan.

"No no! It's ok I was just-" Luhan got cut off when he tripped on something while he turned to face Tao. Tao’s reaction was to catch the older, Luhan ending up pressed against Tao's chest as the younger held most of Luhan's weight.

Luhan could feel his face getting warmer in embarrassment, and right now he wasn't sure if his legs would react and carry his body. Luhan could also feel the other's heartbeat, it sounded erratic, but he guessed that it must have been from the sudden reaction that Tao had in order to catch him before he would face plant on the floor.

Luhan tried to recover his posture, hands pressing on Tao's abdomen and arms for support. He only ended up blushing even more when he felt Tao's abs through the fabric of his shirt. Under his other hand, Luhan felt Tao's arm muscles tensing and moving while the young man tried to help his hyung get up straight.

Just when Luhan was recovering his footing, someone in a rush gave him a light shove, sending him once again against the panda's chest. This time Luhan was flushed against the warm chest, arms securing him against it. Luhan looked up and saw Tao glaring in the direction which he presumed the person that pushed him went off to.

Slowly turning his head, Tao's eyes met with Luhan's. A soft reddish color adorned Tao's cheeks, but Luhan let it pass as the light of the sings nearby. Luhan looked at Tao with his wide eyes, trapping the other in some kind of trance.

Tao stared at Luhan's red tinged face, a hint of hope in his being. One of Tao's biggest fears was that Luhan wouldn't accept him. Seeing the color in the other's usually pale face, even if this was because of embarrassment, it still gave him some hope that it could be the other liking him as well. This line of thoughts made Tao feel happy, and this was portrayed by a small tug on the corner of his mouth that pulled it to a small side smile.

Luhan gasped and pulled away from Tao. The younger looked a little hurt because of that but, he didn't show it.

"You smiled again" Luhan said, more quietly this time. Tao looked away to cover the red of his face.

Soft hands cupped the taller's face, causing him to tense. The hands turned his head so that he was facing Luhan again.

"Why do you keep hiding? I won’t hurt you Tao" Luhan said softly, smiling when Tao closed his eyes and exhaled calmly. Another small smile reached the tall man’s face, causing Luhan to smile as well.

Tao had never been so happy, since Kris left.  He could tell that Luhan was fighting with all his might to pull the other out of his shell, out of the cage that had trapped him when Kris had left him. A happy tear escaped his eye at the thought of someone willing to fight for him, and accept him like he was.

"There, see, you look better smiling" Luhan cooed, wiping away the tear "let's head back" Luhan added, Tao nodding in agreement.

Luhan let go of the others face and started walking. Tao walked behind Luhan, the smile refusing to leave him. The pair stopped in a small food place that they knew and bought something to eat.

"Thanks again" Luhan said from his side of the table. Tao looked up from his food questioningly.

"For catching me, and for the thing in the bathroom earlier" Tao nodded and kept eating. But Luhan kept on speaking.

"God I'm so pathetic, I can't even stand up for myself, heck I can't even stand up straight" Luhan said covering his face with his both hands, food getting cold at his side. Tao looked at the boy, not sure of what to do.

"Maybe that's one of the reasons why Sehun left me, I'm such a waist of space" Luhan whispered into his hands.

 The soft click of chopsticks being placed on the table sounded in the air, followed by the sound of Tao shuffling out of his seat. Luhan pressed his hands harder against his face, thinking that Tao was going to leave him.

The boy was proven wrong when strong arms wrapped around him. Luhan refused to look at the other.

"Luhan" Tao started, his lips and choosing his words. Luhan was surprised to hear the other's voice, and hearing his name being called by it made him feel all tingly inside.

"You are, the most amazing person in the world. You’re so nice, and thoughtful that, I could never imagine what would happen if you didn’t exist, the world would probably explode if you didn’t. I feel lucky every time that I have you by my side, I don’t know what would become of me if I didn’t have you by my side right now." Tao said, Luhan getting flustered with what Tao said. Getting no response, Tao decided to keep talking.

"Sehun is just a self-centered with too much pride in his stupid head, he doesn't deserve you, you're too much for him, and he knew it. He’s even more stupid for leaving you like that." Tao said squeezing the boy in his arms. Tao felt the older slowly wrapping his arms around his waist tightly.

"One day you'll find someone that is perfect for you Lu, I promise" Tao said, heart aching at the thought of him not being that special person.

Luhan chuckled, making Tao look down at him.

"You sure have matured a lot panda" Luhan said playfully. Tao just thought about it for a moment, maybe he was right, he had matured a lot in those last months.

Tao hugged Luhan close before releasing the other so he could eat, pulling his own food across the table and starting to eat as well.

They ate what was left of food and left the place, deciding to go back. When they reached the dorm they saw Sehun walking out, heading for the opposite direction. Luhan tensed a little at the sight of the other, but when he felt  Tao’s presence behind him he calmed down and smiled. He softly reached back for the younger’s hand grabbed it. Tao blinked a few times before grabbing the hand back and following Luhan with yet another small smile.

They walked into their home, Luhan greeting the others with a more cheerful smile, releasing Tao’s hand when they entered.

After a quick bath Luhan walked to the living room, finding only a few of their roommates.

"Where is everyone" Luhan asked D.O.

"Sehun went out, and Kai went to look for him some time ago. Suho and Lay went to walk around and Tao is down at the gym of the building. The rest of the members are sleeping" D.O told his friend, scooting to the side so that Luhan could sit. They watched two movies before D.O went to bed.

Luhan remained there watching tv for some time until his mind once again wondered off to Tao. He started worry a little for the younger, remembering that Tao would work out or train 'till his body couldn't take it anymore. He waited a few more minutes, rubbing his knees in a nervous motion.

When he couldn't take it anymore, he stormed out of the dorm, heading straight for the gym.

 

---

I love reading all the comments you guys leave!

I really hope you guys enjoy this! I am giving it my best!

Really thank you all for subscribing! You’re so awesome!

Please don’t be shy and keep leaving comments, feedback is appreciated and your opinions are welcomed. If you have suggestions don’t be shy either.

As always comment, subscribe and I really hope you keep reading ^.^

Until the next chapter!

Peace out! <3