The messy kind

Get It Together

Koo JunhoeTuesday, 5:14 AM

It was way too early to wake up, Junhoe thought as the first thing, feeling the weak sun beams flickering on his closed eyelids. He breathed slowly, waiting for his mind to clear up. He felt like a mess. And it wasn’t the hot kind of mess, but the really messy kind. Why? The mechanic, chill voice ind his head wasn’t helping, but it never was. “But you’re always a mess, why is this different. Why is this so much more miserable?” He was really feeling like today, he thought to himself, but for some unchain reason, he couldn’t really seem to figure out why. If he lay here with his eyes closed, pretending to be asleep, the feeling might vanish. “Naïve,” the voice told him. It took him a couple of minutes to acknowledge the failure, and got up despite his mood. Perhaps he was just sick, but the idea seemed almost silly to him. He snorted ironic at him self in the mirror, trying, but failing, to remember the last time he’d actually been sick. His reflection looked looked as miserable as his mood, and for a moment he didn’t even recognise himself, with huge, dark bags under his eyes as if he hadn’t slept for ages, and skin, pale and dry.

“Junhoe!” With a start Junhoe was pulled roughly back from a dark corner of his mind, and found himself in the dining hall, to faces starring at him. A third looking everywhere else. “Man you look like ,” Jiwon said with an expression seeming both worried and amazed. Junhoe sipped some coffee. “Thank you,” he could hear his own voice saying drowning in sarcasm. The bitter tast from the coffee just added up, to the already bad taste he had in his mouth. In the distance Jiwon was discussing something with Hanbin about him, but the sound faded, and he couldn’t care less at the moment. Over his cup of coffee he could see Jinhwan, pretending to read the newspaper, or at least Junhoe liked the idea of Jinhwan only pretending not to focus on him.

 

Koo JunhoeTuesday, 2:46 PM

Choir class was quiet as always. Junhoe noticed how ironic it sounded, wasn’t choir supposed to be loud and full of vocal, not whispers and suppressed sighs. Jinhwan hadn’t talked to him all day. Not that they usually talked that much, but today was really less than the normal less. “Is he mad at you?” Chanwoo asked curiously in a low voice, hoping Jinhwan, who at the moment was talking to Yunhyeong, wouldn’t hear them. Since the shorter had refused to contribute to the group project, as long as that meant he had to talk to Junhoe, Chanwoo and Junhoe had actually started to think better of, if not even like, each other. Junhoe shrugged and whispered back: “To be honest, I’m actually not sure.” Chanwoo frowned and eyed Jinhwan. “Better find out what you did wrong soon, trust me, it isn’t fun to be around when he’s upset,” he mumbled. Junhoe smiled. “Doesn’t seem very frightening.” And indeed Jinhwan didn’t. He looked more like someone who was about to vanish into the grey wall and just disappear. Chanwoo shook his head, “No, not Jinhwan, I’m talking about Hanbin and Jiwon. Just…” but at that moment Yunhyeong and Jinhwan approached the table, and Chanwoo felt silent again.

 

Kim JinhwanTuesday, 2:46 PM

“You’re avoiding him, right?” Junhoe had to Jinhwans relief left the classroom the minute the bell rang, leaving him, Chanwoo and Yunhyeong back cleaning their table. Jinhwan tried to ignore the question, but Chanwoo pressed on: “Why’re you mad at him? What did he do?” Jinhwan looked around in the classroom, they were almost completely alone now. “I’m not avoiding him, okay?” Jinhwan spoke irritated with his friend, “I’m just preferring not to talk to him today.” Yunhyeong laughed quietly and asked: “Isn’t that pretty much the same?” The older shrugged: “No.” But he wasn’t so sure. “But he did upset you right?” Chanwoo wouldn’t just let go of the matter like that. “Does it even matter? It’s nothing.” Jinhwan was getting really tired of this conversation. Yunhyeong made an ahhhh sound. “So he did upset you!” Chanwoo nodded and said: “Just wait ‘till Jiwon or Hanbin hears. That kid is going to be so dead.” It sounded weird for Chanwoo to call Junhoe, who was both older and taller than him, kid. “They’re not going to hear anything,” Jinhwan could sense an unwelcome threat in his voice, “Can we just forget it please?” The last bit was spoken softly, but both Chanwoo and Yunhyeong looked weird at him. After a few seconds Yunhyeong spoke quietly: “Jinhwan, are you sure that you’re okay?” Jinhwan never answered.

 

Koo JunhoeTuesday, 8:11 PM

“Hey, Junhoe.” Yunhyeong had stopped him on his way outside. “Oh, hi,” Junhoe answered, suddenly feeling extremely awkward. Him and Yunhyeong hadn’t spoken that much. “I know it’s none of my business,” the other began, and Junhoes mood fell considerably, “But you should go and speak to Jinhwan.” Yunhyeong actually looked worried, but Junhoe just didn’t feel like seeking any more problems right now. “But it’s him who doesn’t want to speak to me. How is that my problem?” He did realise how childish that must have sounded. “Look, like I said, it’s none of my business, but I really care about Jinhwan, and I also really think that you should ask yourself, what you did wrong, and try to fix it.” Junhoe wanted to say something, protest, but he couldn’t think of anything. He knew Yunhyeong was right. With a sigh he then agreed: “Yeah, yeah, understood.” The other smiled shortly. “Thanks,” he said softly and left.