Silent hours

Get It Together

Kim Jinhwan – Monday, 3:45 PM

Jinhwan didn’t attend the next class, nor the one after that. At noon, when only English was left, he joined Jiwon at a table at the back of the dusty classroom. “Where have you been?” the younger asked wonderingly in a whisper, “If you really had planned to skive off school today, you might as well have counted me in too.” Jinhwan, who didn’t felt like discussing the matter, just mumbled a sorry and dived into the work. The rest of the day Jinhwan remained quiet. Jiwon eventually gave up on trying to make him talke and wandered off with Hanbin instead, arm in arm, and didn’t come back before long after dinner.

 

Kim Jinhwan – Monday, 9:23 PM

Jinhwan knew he was supposed to at least try to start on his English essay, but the foreign words blurred as the concentrations slipped away. With a sigh he let his head rest upon the open booked and closed his eyes for a second. What an awful day. What was Junhoes problem? Annoyed he squeezed his eyes even tighter in an attempt to cut off all thoughts. A voice suddenly drilled through the quietness, and made Jinhwan open his eyes. He was now looking into a another pair of eyes, awfully aware of the thin line of drool running down from the corner of his mouth. Had he actually been sleeping? “What are you doing?” Junhoe asked frowning, but with a slight smile. “Studying,” Jinhwan answered lifting op his head and looked down into the book which was now laying upside down. “Doesn’t really look like it.” The other laughed, and Jinhwan got unpleasant feeling that Junhoe had watched him in his sleep before waking him up. “None of your business,” Jinhwan mumbled under his breath, but the other didn’t seemed to have heard anything. Instead his dumped himself on the table, placing his thigh carefully next to Jinhwans head. Out from under his uniform jacket he pulled a bottle containing a clear liquor. Alarmed Jinhwan threw a quick look over his shoulder. “What the are you doing? You can’t drink here, it’s a library.” The others laugh and continuingly smile started to annoy him. “So what? This place isn’t worse than any other,” Junhoe shrugged and put the bottle to his lips and gulped. If they were caught, Jinhwan thought, he might as well wave goodbye to his education. Junhoe stretched held the bottle in front of Jinhwan’s face. “Want any? Tastes like , but anyway.” Jinhwan shook his head, glancing over his shoulder a second time. “Don’t be such a ,” Junhoe urged, drawing the bottle even closer to the elder. Jinhwan, who was by now both really annoyed with the others behaviour and scared of getting caught, was about to tell Junhoe off for real, when their eyes met. Junhoe looked into his eyes, as if he could see right through him, and for a second everything seemed to have stopped. The time, Junhoes laugher, Jinhwans heartbeat. “Whatever,” Junhoe suddenly sad, making the other start, “I’ll better be off then.” Jinhwan was so taken aback at the sudden eye lock, and didn’t manage to express anything. For some time he sat alone and quiet at the dark library, looking in the same direction Junhoe had disappeared in. Waiting for his heartbeat to return.

 

Kim Jinhwan – Monday, 10:08 PM

On the way back, right in front of the door to his and Hanbin room, Jinhwan stumbled into Jiwon. His hair was messy and sweaty out seemed a bit out of breath. “Oh hey Jinhwan. I was just on my way back.” He looked at Jinhwans weird expression and then added: “Are you okay man?” He really wasn’t but nodded anyway and waved his friend down the dark hallway. Inside the smell of sweat pricked in the nose and he could hear the shower running behind a door. They must have been working out again, Jinhwan thought, whishing they would begin to use the gym instead.

Throwing himself on the bed, Jinhwan wished only to fall asleep as quick as possible, but Hanbin wouldn’t let him go that easy. “Jiwon said that you’ve been acting weird all day.” His hair was still wet and hanging sticky on his forehead. Jinhwan rolled his as, not interested in talking right at the moment. “Perhaps,” he mumbled, “Just let me sleep, please?” Hanbin sighted ad shook his head. Jinhwan could feel drops of water hitting his faced, but didn’t bother to do anything about it. A moment later, when Hanbin had crawled into bed with a laptop in his lap, the younger asked again: “Is it about Koo Junhoe?” At this point, Jinhwan choose to look up, confused and with a nervous feeling spreading inside his chest. “Why would it?” He sounded way to angry, and Hanbin just continued to look worried at his hyung. “You tell me.” He was looking at his laptop, but Jinhwan could sense that he was concentration on him. “And I tell you it hasn’t. Satisfied yet?” Grumpy Jinhwan rolled over and close his eyes again, this time uninterrupted. Even though, he found it hard to sleep that night; Junhoes eyes kept popping up on the inside of his eyelids. When he finally fell asleep, this images had transformed into dreams.