Choir's a straight thing

Get It Together

Kim Jinhwan – Monday, 7:32 AM

“And by the way,” Jiwon looked over the table filled with breakfast, and looked in the direction of the tall, handsome transfer student, “Your boyfriend’s pretty straight. Forgot to mention, did he?” Jinhwan didn’t answer at first, still mad about them leaving him alone yesterday, and took good time drinking his coffee. As he sat the mug on the table again, he said with a cool voice: “Why would I care?” But the thought, of Junhoe liking girls, wasn’t nice. Hanbin was also looking over at Junhoe now with a judging expression, and he wasn’t the only one. By now most of the students had noticed the new guy, and was all looking interested in the mysterious hot male, especially a cluster of giggling girls, who found Junhoe, at least as attractive as Jinhwan did. They looked silly, he thought, like stupid small girls being too shy to ask their idol for an autograph. Phatic. It didn’t seem like Junhoe minded them though, which made Jinhwan even more irritated. Annoyed he turned towards his friends again. “How do you even know?” Jinhwan asked Jiwon, trying to sound as unconcerned as possible. “He got himself a girlfriend, and I don’t know about you man, but to me, that sounds pretty straight,” he answered as a matter of fact while sipping to Hanbins juice. Something heavy sank inside of Jinhwan. Of cause a guy like Junhoe had a girlfriend, he was too handsome not to, but he guessed that he’d just been hoping for … Never mind, Jinhwan choke the thoughts off him, and stuffed his mouth with the remaining of his toast.

 

After breakfast Jinhwan said goodbye to his friends and headed for chorus classes alone. The hall were noisy and filled with people like usually, but it seemed louder to the short guy than normally. 

Refraining from snapping at a girl, who’d blindly just bumped into him, Jinhwan speeded up at started to walk in pace that looked more like running. Around the corner he stopped and breathed heavily for a second. Straightening out his jacket, he looked up at the now empty hallway. He was the first one to arrive at choir, which suited him perfectly. The door leading into the class room was small and greyish, and almost impossible to notice, if you didn’t knew wat you were looking for. It gave Jinhwan some sort of calm feeling, and as the rest of his class turned up around the corner one by one, his mood slowly began to rise.

“Quiet!” The shouting came from a short, thin man, but the class felt silent at once. Professor Mun was no joke and a master of making others behave as he pleased. His thick, dark hair lay around his head like a helmet and his nose was too long and crooked. Hadn’t he been that scary, he’d been the obvious victim for the students to make a joke of, but as it were no one had ever dared to even smile in his direction. “I’ve come to understand that a new student will join us, and I prey to god he’s just half as incompetent as the rest of this miserable class.” The excitement to see who this new student was, overshadowed the uncomfortable atmosphere the teacher normally was spreading. “Mr. Koo, I see no reason for you to make and introduction, please take a seat so we can continue this class.” As if someone had just kicked Jinhwan in the stomach, all air seemed to have disappeared from his longs. He looked up, and true enough Junhoes tall figure was towering over the group of silent, but amazed students. Of course, how could he forget. He’d mentioned it for Jinhwan just the other night, they were supposed to take all vocal classes together. Without any thought Jinhwan waved at the tall boy and said: “Junhoe, over here.” But the classroom had been way too quiet, and Professor Mun gave him a stern, cool look. “I did believe that I asked the class to be silent Mr. Kim” But it had been worth the effort, because shortly after Junhoe appeared next to Jinhwan. He wasn’t smiling nor did he say anything, but Jinhwan could see that he’d appreciated the invitation.   

Professor Mun parted the class in minor groups, making them analysing a song. Two second years named Song Yunhyeong and Jung Chanwoo teamed up with Jinhwan and Junhoe. They’d both been in the class long enough for Jinhwan to have befriended them, and was therefore also way more interested in the new guy than the other, not to mention the long forgotten song. “So why exactly did you transfer here?”  Junhoe shrugged at Yunhyeongs question, hesitating before answering it: “Better education, I guess?” But the other shoke his head. “Bull,” Chanwoo said, “The only thing you get out of this place is fair food and three years of ual frustration.” Both Jinhwan and Yunhyeong laughed quiet, careful not to get Professor Muns attention, but their newfound class mate remained unamused and without another word started on the groupprojekt alone. Jinhwan could see Chanwoos lips forming the word: “DULL.”

 

Kim Jinhwan – Monday, 9:48 AM

“So, the hard hardworking type, huh?” Jinhwan sat down at the stairs behind the choir classroom next to Junhoe, and when he didn’t answer, Jinhwan continued eager to start a conversation, “Interested in singing?” Junhoe reached down his jacket pocket and pulled out a cigarette and started to light it. Students weren’t really supposed to be smoking, but Jinhwan didn’t stop Junhoe. After he’d drawn a deep breath he let out a sigh and looked up at the boy he was sharing the slim stair tread with. “Not really,” he answered, his voice deep and husky. Jinhwan frowned. “But then why are you taking choir classes?” To be honest Jinhwan had just expected him to shrug like always and avoid any further questions, but to his surprise and joy Junhoe started to talk in a slow pace: “My mother wants me to sing, says anything else would be a waste. I guess it’s okay, it’s just… I don’t really want to appear to girly.” Slightly offended Jinhwan asked for a further explanation. “Eighty percent of the class was girl and I don’t want people to think I’m, you know, gay or anything.” There was a short pause. Junhoe was smoking calmly, gazing out in front of him, while Jinhwan sat at the same stair tread, which suddenly felt too small. He could feel arm pressing up against his, but there was an awkward tension. “Choir can be a straight thing too. I’m not gay, you know,” Jinhwan ten said, biting his lip. Junhoe looked up at the boy, and for some reason he was smiling. “Of course you’re not,” he said softly, slowly he rose and left the stairs, probably for his next class, but Jinhwan didn’t feel like moving. Why had he been smiling like that? Arragonant idoit.