/I am not human/

Mystical
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    I walked into the bathroom before tugging down one shoulder of my shirt. It was perfectly fine. There was no sign of a burn or any scars marring my flesh. Only smooth, porcelain skin showed itself. With furrowed brows, I turned to go back to the living room. Seulgi was sitting on the couch, staring out of the window again with sunrise yellow eyes. With a deep breath, I made my way over to her before sitting down.

    “So, care to explain?” I asked, looking at Seulgi’s stupidly flawless side profile until she turned her head to look at me with her mystifying golden eyes.

    “I am not human.” Seulgi dropped the bomb as if it were nothing.

    I only stared at her. I was surprised to find that I wasn’t shocked - heck, I wasn’t even surprised. There had been enough hints and signs as to the fact that Seulgi wasn’t human, a couple being her ethereal looks and her color changing eyes. “Okay. Then what are you?”

    “I am a shapeshifter.”

    “A shapeshifter. A shapeshifter as in changing into different animals shapeshifter?”

    “Yes.”

    “But you don’t change into animals or anything. Were you hiding it this whole time? Or is there something else?”

    “When you hit me with your monster contraption, I lost my ability to shapeshift. I lost all of my powers. I regained my powers of healing two days before, however. There are two types of shapeshifters. There are Consumers, and there are Restorers. I am a Restorer. In order to shapeshift into a particular animal or person, I only need to touch that animal or person to change. I also have the power to heal. Consumers, however, must kill that certain person or animal to shapeshift. They have the power to essentially the life out of any organism. That was what Void was doing to you last night.”

    The flood of information made my mind reel. Everything made sense now. I remembered the bird Seulgi had brought to me with a frustrated expression on her face, the way the air around her always seemed to be focusing on her. “Your power of healing - was that the golden light from your hands?”

    “Yes.” Seulgi looked around before standing up and walking over to a rather dead plant in one corner of the living room. With everything that had been going on for the past week, I had had no time to care for a plant. I watched silently as Seulgi crouched down next to the plant. Slowly, she opened her hand, palm facing the plant, before I saw that unbelievable sight once again - this time in pure daylight. Golden light emitted from Seulgi’s hand, flowing towards the plant and weaving around it. Miraculously, the plant seemed to soak in the golden light Seulgi was giving it, and it turned a bright, healthy green and stood up straight.

    “Oh my god. You’re actually - you can actually do that.”

    Seulgi stood up from her spot in front of the plant before walking back to the couch and sitting down. “I was not lying when I said that I was 543 years old. Everything I had said when I first saw you was all true.”

    “Wait. You said that there are two of your types. How do you - you know, tell each other apart?”

    “Well, Restorers have golden eyes and Consumers have red eyes.”    

    “Wait, but your eyes change color,” I said, brows furrowing.

    Seulgi looked slightly uncomfortable, her eyes sparking bits of red again. “My eyes are a mutation of some sort. I was born with eyes like these. I am not proud of them.”

    “Why? I mean, they’re pretty beautiful,” I murmured.

    Seulgi’s eyes stopped sparking, and began swirling instead, a mix of blue, green, and gold speckling her mystifying orbs. “Thank you.” Her voice was soft, a tinge of sadness evident in her tone. The mood shifted to a somber one.

    “You said something about being trapped when I first met you. Trapped by people?”

    “Yes. However, that entrapment might have been the sole reason why I am still alive now.”

    “What are you talking about?”

    “My kind has nearly been completely wiped off the face of this earth by the Consumers. We are naturally stronger than them, but there are more of them than there are Restorers. Which confuses me as to why Void decided to come on his own.”

    “Void? Is he the one that tried to kill me?”

    Seulgi looked up at me with apologetic pools of emerald. “Yes. I have a . . . personal connection with him.”

    I felt disgust rise in me. “You dated him?”

    “No! No, definitely not. We were childhood friends. It is rare to have a Restorer and Consumer have any positive relations with the other, but Void had not been the person that he is now.”

    “And his reason for trying to kill me?”

    “You are beautiful. He wants your body.”

    I felt heat surge through me at Seulgi’s words, and I flinched away from her. “What?”

    Seulgi seemed to realize what her words sounded like as she quickly shook her head. “No, not in that way. As I said, Consumers can only change through killing the person or animal that they want to be. You are very pleasing to the eye, especially for a human, and he wants that for benefits in the human world.”

    I wasn’t sure whether to feel afraid or flattered at Seulgi’s words. “So, he’s after you. And now he’s after me. And . . . I’m in danger of dying. This is great. This is just amazing, isn’t it. Magical people are real, you’re not human, you lied about losing your memory, well I might as well just quit life now.”

    “No. You cannot do that. I will protect you. I am truly sorry for putting you in danger, but I swear on my life that I will protect you no matter what. Please do not kill yourself.”

    I wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter