/That was a hug, by the way/

Mystical
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “They can’t find anything about her.”

    I rushed over to Taeyeon’s side, looking at the computer screen frantically. “What are you talking about? She’s right here. What do you mean they can’t find her? She was never born or something? Where’s her birth certificate?”

    Taeyeon looked at me, biting her lip. “As far as they know, she doesn’t exist.” Taeyeon pointed towards Seulgi who was obviously trying not to look too impressed, but was failing miserably as her eyes roamed around the glass roof that this part of the lab held.

    I turned back to Taeyeon in exasperation. “So, what? She’s a ghost?”

    “My father is one of the most powerful people in the military, Rene. With the software they have over there, they should’ve been able to find her - easy. But they have nothing.”

    I gave a frustrated sigh. “Then what now? What am I going to do about a girl who seemingly doesn’t exist, and who I hit with my car earlier this morning? It’s not like I can put her into child care because she’s obviously too old for that.”

    “We could give her over to the officials, but I’d rather not. I don’t really trust them to take care of her.”

    I bit my lip and looked over at Seulgi who was running her fingers over the sleek metal of the tables with childish curiosity. I looked back at Taeyeon, pouting. “No, I don’t want that either. By the way, what about her eyes? Did the doctor say anything about her eyes?”

    “He said there was nothing wrong with them. She can obviously see okay through them, too.”

    “Obviously. They’re actually really beautiful, but it’s sort of creepy at the same time.”

    Suddenly, Taeyeon started to smile mischievously as she looked at me. I knew that look. “You. You’re going to have to take care of her.”

    I blinked in confusion before my jaw practically unhinged itself. “Me. Take care of her.”

    Taeyeon nodded enthusiastically as she leaned back in her chair. “Mhm. It’s only natural. You hit her with your car, so you should take responsibility for her memory loss. If it even is memory loss. We don’t have much things going on in the lab these days, so I can spare you for a week or so to get her used to everything. Paid leave.”

    “No. No way. I can’t take care of a full grown - .”

    “Agh!”

    I immediately cut off and whipped my head towards the source of the yell to stare at the scene in front of my eyes in horror. Seulgi had Minho against the ground with his arm yanked behind him and one of her hands pushing on the back of his neck. Seulgi’s eyes were bright red and glowing with intensity as she kept Minho in his vulnerable position.

“S-Seulgi! Let go of him! Oh my god.” I rushed over towards her and the senior scientist before slowing down. I didn’t want to provoke Seulgi at all in case she was actually insane and decided to just snap Minho’s arm in two. Seulgi looked up at me with her frightening blood-red eyes. The gentleness I had been impressioned with from her was gone, and I felt fear instead.

“Irene.” Her voice was more of a low growl, now.

“Seulgi, let go of him, please. He’s my senior. Seulgi, let go of him.”

Amazingly, Seulgi’s eyes suddenly shifted from red to green, and she got off of Minho with alarming speed. I watched as Minho groaned and got up into a sitting position - rubbing his shoulder in the process.

“I - I was taken by surprise. I am sorry, Irene’s senior. I apologize greatly.”

“No, no. It’s okay. I shouldn’t have done that. It’s my fault.”

I stood in place - frozen - as I watched the scene in front of me with confusion. I had been about to yell at Seulgi, but now I wasn’t sure what to do.

“Minho, are you okay?” I asked, tentatively.

“Oh, Irene. I’m fine. I was confused as to who Seulgi was so I grabbed her shoulder and surprised her. It was completely my fault. That was a nice self defense technique, though,” Minho said, looking over at Seulgi and giving her a smile.

“Idiot. You’re always doing that to people,” Taeyeon said as she walked over to the man on the ground and helped him up.

I looked over at Seulgi, now, and saw that her eyes were still a deep green. I realized that her eyes turned green whenever she apologized as she had to me back in the room, and now to Minho. So, green when she’s sorry?

“Are you . . . okay, Seulgi?”

“Yes. Of course I am. I had just been startled. I was not hurt at all,” she said, bowing her head slightly.

It was hard to believe that the girl in front of me right now was the same girl from just a minute ago. She had gone from absolutely terrifying to as meek as a lamb in just a second, and that was actually a little scary, too.

“Alright, it’s okay. You heard Minho. It’s not your fault.”

I tentatively walked over to her and stood in front of her. She was taller than me as I had observed before, but only by an inch or two. It still slightly irked me, though. I watched as Seulgi slowly lifted her head before staring into my eyes with eyes that were beginning to mix with green and gold - creating a beautiful combination of colors. I could probably stare at her eyes all day without getting bored.

“Really?”

I snapped out of it, and gave her a reassuring smile. “Yes. Really.”

Her eyes abruptly turned blue as she returned my grin. “Okay.”

“Well, other than that shocking first impression you gave me earlier, we haven’t properly introduced ourselves. My name is Choi Minho. It’s nice to meet you.”

I watched as Minho extended his hand, and I felt the urge to burst into laughter at the trigger of the memory of what had happened with Seulgi earlier. I quickly looked over at her to see her eyes turn purple momentar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter