Chapter 3

Our Bad Romance

It’s been over a week since Ren stumbled upon that weird Host Club, the club Jin is apparently a  part of. He made sure to avoid that area as much as possible as well as… he avoided Jin, too!  After LiNa warning him about other girls, he took it very seriously and decided that he didn’t want to get caught up in petty drama over a boy! No way! But the poor boy tried to get his attention so many times before, during and after their Art History class which they only shared two times a week… Monday and Wednesday. Even so, he wasn’t going to cave and meet with him simply because… he didn’t want to get those weird feelings again either!

 

When he talked to Minhyun about that day meeting Jin, he was told that he’d officially turned into a chick because there was just no way that Ren was not crushing on Jin! Ever since he started this whole playing as a girl, this double life, he has not once been flustered or attracted to any guy. But he’d see beautiful girls and naturally was attracted to them because hello, he’s actually a guy. The bad part was he couldn’t approach those girls dressed as a girl… but what about Jin? He was attracted to Jin, a guy!

 

The situation was so difficult. Because Ren is a guy, he feels so confused. He knows he’s not attracted to guys, but he’s attracted to Jin. Something didn’t seem right here. “He does have a pretty face, almost like a girl’s.” Minhyun had said, adding onto that suspicious thought. “He’s short like a girl, too.”

 

“Kpop idol material, basically…” Ren muttered, sipping on his latte. “Flower boy.”

 

He and Minhyun were currently at the campus in the cafe located in the main building, which was dangerously located close to the V-I-Double X Host Club. “You know, I heard there’s another Host Club at this academy…” he added, suddenly remembering what he overheard earlier in the week.

 

“Really? Where’d you hear that?”

 

“The girls in the bathroom. That’s all they could talk about.” Ren said softly. “They were gushing about some guy named Jeonghan…”

 

“Are you interested in checking it out?” Minhyun asked with a teasing smile. “You basically could since you’re a girl, right?”

 

“I don’t think they discriminate, I’m sure all genders are welcomed…” Ren glared. “I think it’s you who’s interested, go yourself. Don’t use me, jerk!”

 

“Gosh, so beautiful but so mean.” Minhyun chuckled, sipping his fountain drink until he was air. “I’m gonna go get a refill.” He added before getting up and headed to the front counter, leaving Ren at their table alone.

 

There weren’t many students around today, possibly because today was a Friday and not many have classes today unlike Ren and Minhyun. He just sat there minding his own business and pulled out his phone to browse some of his social apps to pass time, looking for any updates on his favorite idol singer in the states, Lady GaGa. While he was scrolling down his feed, he heard a group of guys sit at the table next to his and immediately heard them whispering about him. Why don’t people realize life isn’t a TV show. I can literally hear you even when you’re 10 feet away…

 

“Jeonghan, why don’t you invite her to the club?”

 

At the name mentioned, Ren looked up over at their table immediately and couldn’t believe his eyes! The extremely attractive guy sitting across from him had long dark brown shoulder length hair and his facial features… reminded him of himself! What the…?


The two had locked eyes with each other, even Jeonghan looked stunned. My female doppelganger?! Was a thought that passed through his mind. As they stared at each other, his friends started to notice the similarities! “Whoa, it’s the female Jeonghan… we definitely have to invite her now!” The blonde with the 10:10 eye smile blurted out in awe at Ren’s beauty. (Hoshi/Soonyoung).

 

At that comment, Ren grabbed his latte and got up, leaving the table as quick as he could. “Where is she going?!” He could hear them say in confusion. No way! Not another Host Club! Ren thought as he suddenly found him walking in the direction of… .

 

“V!” (Ken)

 

“I…” (Leo)

 

“Double!” (Hongbin & Ravi)

 

“X!” (Hyuk)

 

“Welcomes you to the number one host club of Ouran College Academy!” (N)

 

That’s why he said number one… Ren finally understood. He had wondered why the leader said that last time, and now he knew, it was because there was another host club. Probably their rival!

 

“My dear Rin, you actually came!” Jin suddenly beamed to his right, a rose in hand just like last time.


“I don’t want your rose!” Ren blushed, backing away.

 

“That’s okay!” The boy chuckled, tossing the rose over his shoulder. “Perhaps you’d like cake, again?” It was already in his hand, the one that was behind his back. Smooth… real smooth.

 

“N-No.” Ren struggled to say. He did want it but… he couldn’t cave. “I have to go!” He turned to run off, but Jin grabbed him by the wrist and stopped him.

 

“No, wait! Please don’t go!” Jin pleaded. “Won’t you stay for a bit?”

 

Ren looked back at him before his eyes quickly panned down to the hold on his wrist, Jin’s hand looked small and delicate yet the hold was firm and strong. It surprised Ren. ‘He does have a pretty face, almost like a girl’s.’ Minhyun’s comment played back in his head. That’s when Ren dared to look Jin in the eyes.

 

“Do we have any popcorn?” N whispered to the other members. The sound of Ken eating suddenly echoed in the quiet room and they all looked to see he was already eating popcorn out of a big container. Where did he get it, they weren’t sure!

 

“It’s only chapter three and already things are happening…” Ravi muttered as they watched the two a few feet away have a moment with each other. They were staring each other in the eye...

 

“Our host club is a weird place, I get it.” Jin said honestly after a few seconds.

 

“Yah!” N pouted in the background.

 

“But won’t you give us a chance?”

 

“Why?” Ren asked, curious on why Jin looked so hopeful.

 

“Because I can see it in your eyes… that look of loneliness. I just thought it’d be nice if you could surround yourself with people and perhaps make some friends with the other girls who come here every day. I notice you don’t have any female friends, do you?”

 

“... that’s none of your business.” Ren pulled his hand away, feeling… violated for some reason. Like Jin read his mind without his permission. “I don’t need to make friends, I’m fine with the friends I have now, thanks.”

 

“Bu-”

 

“I’m not into host clubs, sorry.” He added before glancing at the other members. “I’ll be going now.” He said, his expression faltered when he saw Jin’s dejected face. “Goodbye.”

 

“Wait, at least take this!” Jin suddenly spoke up, “I can tell you really like cake, so please take it.”

 

Ren couldn't believe how fast the boy’s mood changed. He’s bipolar. “Fine. Thanks, I guess.”

 

“No problem!” Jin smiled cutely and Ren instantly turned around and headed for the door without another word, feeling the blood rush up to his cheeks.

 

“Awh! I was hoping she’d stick around this time…” Ken pouted, hugging Chopper to his chest dearly. Jin wasn’t the only one who seemed interested in Rin, though it was a more friendly interest than a romantic interest.

 

“Some girls just don’t like host clubs.” Ravi shrugged. “I wouldn’t blame them… it’s all basically fake attention anyway.”


 

“Fake?! You’ve been giving fake attention all this time?!” N looked at him horrified.

 

“And you’ve been giving them genuine attention?” The younger laughed.

 

“Of course! My feelings are true and real! How can you pretend?!”

 

As N scolded the others about giving fake attention, Jin spaced out, thinking about Rin who denied his invite to stay at the host club.

 

“Are you okay?” Leo asked, resting a hand on Jin’s small shoulder.

 

“Yeah.” Jin nodded. “I just thought maybe we could help her…”

 

“I know, but she’s right, if she’s fine with the friends she has now, she doesn’t need anymore.”

 

“But why does she look so lonely?” Jin sighed.

 

“You’re getting attached.” He chuckled, patting him on the head. “Just give her space, maybe she’ll come around again, eventually.”

 

“I hope so… it’d be nice to have her around.” Finally, a smile returned to Jin’s cheery face. Leo smiled, glad his fellow host member was in a better mood.  “So, can I have ca-”

 

“No.” He said flatly, leaving no room for negotiation this time and simply left while looking at his clipboard. Jin pouted watching him walk away.

 

💓

 

By the end of the next week, Ren avoided anyone who wasn’t his friend now. I didn’t come here to mess around with boys! I came here for school! He thought to himself as he was walking around the library, looking for a book that was needed for one of his other class assignments. When he came to the back of the library and pulled out the book he was looking for... Oh god.

 

It was just like a scene out of a movie! He could see someone on the other side of the bookshelf who also took a book out from that side at the same time. To make matters worse, it was his doppleganger!

 

“Hi.” Jeonghan flashed a breathtaking smile accompanied with a small wink towards Ren.

 

Jeonghan’s face disappeared when Ren put his book back. “I’ll get my books another time…” he muttered, hurrying away away from the small book aisle but Jeonghan was already at the end of it waiting for him with a small laugh.

 

“I see you’re pretty shy. It’s okay, I just wanted to say hi.” He assured her, a more friendly smile this time around.

 

“Goodbye.” Ren simply said, walking past him to escape, it felt so weird talking to someone who looked like him, he wasn’t shy, he was weirded out! He had to wonder if Jeonghan didn’t feel the same and that’s why he approached him? Regardless, Ren wasn’t going to stop and talk to him, not today and probably never. Jeonghan watched Rens escape off into another book aisle and chuckled quietly to himself, swearing he’d get Ren to make an appearance at Seventeen’s host club. There were simply too many bets on the line right now for him to fail...

 

Not really paying attention to where he was going, Ren escaped off to another book aisle and leaned against the shelf with a quiet sigh. Maybe I need to start wearing a mask to school… he was thinking when suddenly he heard sniffling off to his right at the end of the bookshelf. Who? Is someone crying? He silently made his way closer to peek around the shelf to see…

 

He almost gasped and retreated quickly. What’s Jin doing here?! He thought stupidly. And… why is he crying? He suddenly felt worried and peeked around the corner again to see Jin sitting on the floor with a book in his lap, the book from their Art History class. He had his bag next to him with his notebook out, probably to take notes but he wasn’t at the moment since he was too busy wiping at his eyes.

 

Seeing Jin’s tear stained face made Ren’s heart ached a bit. He felt bad… but he also couldn’t help but stare, feeling his heart rate pick up a bit. Just like that day in the rain, he thought Jin looked beautiful with those tear stained cheeks. I must be some sort of sadist, my god… He pouted, facepalming his forehead.

 

“R-Rin?” He snapped out of it when he heard Jin’s voice call out his fake name. He looked down quickly, cringing that he was caught. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Uh…” Ren came out of his hiding spot to stand by the upset boy. “I came to get some books for class… but then I heard someone crying back here.”

 

“Oh! Sorry!” Jin chuckled, closing his book and got up from his spot to faced him.

 

“Are you okay? Did something happen?” It’d be rude not to ask, right?

 

“I’m okay, I just… well I read the chapter we were supposed to read for Art History and there was a sad story about one of the artist. I sort of relate to him in some ways…” Jin replied with a sad smile. “It got to me a little…”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Ah, there’s no need to be sorry!” Jin frowned at Ren’s apology. “I’m just a baby when it comes to sad things is all.” He admitted with a soft sigh.

 

“Well, it’s no fun being sad… so let’s go get some cake or something?” Ren suggested without really thinking about it. They must have a common interest in sweets at least...

 

“Really?” Jin’s face lit up almost instantly.

 

“Y-Yes.” He was stunned that he even suggested it himself but was glad to see Jin in a better mood now. Going for some cake with a fellow classmate, completely harmless, right?! Ren thought as Jin put his things back into his bag before slinging it over his shoulder, ready to go.

 

“Let’s go in my car?” He asked, dangling his keys up in the air. Ren stared at the set of keys, a little surprised. He has a car? Impressive…

 

“Sure.”

 

💓

 

“Oh my god, sorry for the mess!” Jin said embarrassed as he was cleaning out the front and back seats of his car as fast as he could. He had opened the back door for Ren to put his bag away when he saw the mess. “I let my mom borrow my car for a few weeks, I can’t believe she didn’t clean up after herself!” He added, grabbing the last few things before allowing Ren to put his bag on the seat.

 

“That’s okay. Don’t worry.” Ren said, bending over slightly to place his bag down, that’s when his eyes locked onto the toddler seat in the middle of the backseat. Why he didn’t see at first until now surprised him. “Uh… what’s this?” He asked, pointing to the seat as Jin got into the passenger seat.

 

“Oh, a toddler seat?” Jin replied, looking at him confused.

 

“You have a kid?” Ren blurted out, completely curious now. They’re in college, he doesn’t even know how old the guy is… chances are he could already have a kid.

 

“Sometimes.” Jin chuckled, putting his seatbelt on. Ren quickly got into the passenger seat and put his seatbelt on as well.

 

“Joint custody?” Ren was just so curious now.

 

“Little sister.” Jin finally said, clearing it up. “I have a 3 ½ year old sister named Min, but I like to call her Minnie. My parents are divorced so they have joint custody over her and that’s why I said sometimes.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry… I had no idea.” Ren felt like a jerk now for asking, but he couldn’t help it!

 

“It’s okay, don’t worry!” Jin smiled. “I’m just happy you were so interested to ask. When everyone sees that toddler seat they just assume I have a kid…”

 

“Ah… I thought the same, sorry.”

 

“It’s totally understandable, I mean a 22 year old college student with a toddler seat in the back… of course it’s plausible.”

 

“22?” Ren stared at him. “You’re 22?”

 

“Uh… yeah, my birthday was last week on the 8th.” He nodded. “I was gonna invite you but, you seemed busy.” Ren felt horrible now, he was sure Jin was only being nice in saying busy instead of ‘you ignored me’.

 

“I’m sorry I missed it. Happy Belated Birthday, I’m definitely paying for the cake now to make up for it.” Ren gave a weak smile.

 

“Thanks, I look forward to it, Rin.” Jin looked so happy just now it made Ren’s heart fluttered. He’s too beautiful to be a guy! He thought, but couldn’t help laugh on the inside since well… he himself is apparently beautiful enough to pass as a girl! “By the way, since we’re talking about birthdays, is yours coming up soon?”

 

“Yeah, in November, on the 3rd.” He replied. “I’ll be turning 21.” He added.

 

“Oh, so I’m older than you!” Jin laughed. “I thought we were about the same age or something, guess I was wrong.”

 

“Me too.” Ren smiled at Jin’s cute laugh. Why is he so girly?! His face, his hands, his laugh… his emotions? Though he wasn’t trying to be ist, even he could be sensitive too.

 

“Well, let’s go get that cake, shall we?” Jin interrupted his thoughts with that bright smile. He nodded, feeling a little more comfortable in his presence now.

 

After Jin started his car, his phone started to ring in his hoodie pocket. Even the ringtone was something a kpop fangirl would put on their phone. Is he gay? Ren thought, a little disappointed that he was being a little judgemental about the things Jin did. Scratch that, he’s just fabulous. He thought instead to be a little more… nicer.

 

“Yo!” Jin greeted the person on the phone. “What’s up? Oh… oh… oh! Uh… hold on!” He covered the mic piece and looked over to Ren with an apologetic look. “Sorry, but my mom called asking me to pick up Minnie from daycare since she’s stuck at work… do you mind? Or we can go get cake another time?”

 

“I don’t mind.” Ren said instantly, like he had made up his mind before Jin even asked the question.

 

“Okay, cool. … Mom! I’ll go get Minnie, don’t worry, see you at home! Love you!” Jin said cheerfully on the phone before hanging up. “Thanks, I suppose this is the chance you can meet my little ball of sunshine, though I warn you… she’s really good at being cute so if she asks you for anything you have to tell her no. Got it?”

 

“Got it.” Ren chuckled at the description.

 

Once they were in agreement, they headed off to the daycare center his sister was at to pick her up. Ren was a little excited, wondering if Minnie was just as cute as her brother… And there I go, thinking those weird things again!

 

Pulling up to the drive up lane of the building, there were teachers standing outside with a bunch of little kids, helping them over to their parents cars. Jin got out of the car and walked around to greet some of the teachers while Ren remained in the car, watching in awe. He found all the little children so adorable and smiled. The sight was so precious when he saw a little girl run up to Jin, holding her arms up for him to pick her up. He assumed that was his little sister since they said their goodbyes to the teachers and kids and returned to the car.

 

Jin put Minnie on the ground before opening the door for her. “Crap, I parked too far.” He muttered, helping his sister cross the gap between the car and the curb. Ren turned in his seat to watch, a huge smile on his lips, it was so cute to watch. “Sorry, Min, your unnie at driving.”

 

“Unnie?” Ren asked once he heard him say it.

 

Jin looked at him with slightly wide eyes before laughing awkwardly. “Minnie likes to call me unnie…” he stuttered, “since I act girly sometimes.”

 

“Oh…” Ren nodded, but that just raised red flags again.

 

“All buckled in?” Jin asked his sister who gave him two thumbs up before noticing Ren in the passenger seat.

 

“Who’s that?!” She exclaimed, looking excited.

 

“Ah, that’s Rin, one of my classmates.” Jin introduced. Ren gave a small wave with a cute ‘Hi’.

 

“She’s so pretty!” Minnie beamed.

 

“I know, she’s really pretty!” Jin laughed at Ren’s embarrassed expression before he sat back in his seat properly. “She’s really shy, too!”

 

“Am not!” Ren protested. “Weren’t we going to get cake? Let’s hurry up and go, I don’t have all day.”

 

“Cake!” Minnie shouted.

 

“Okay, okay! Let’s go!” Jin hurried to the driver’s seat after shutting the backseat door.

 

💓

 

“Mmmm~!”

 

“You like it?” Jin asked his little sister who was squealing in delight on his lap from the bite of cake he shared with her. The little girl nodded before asking for another bite.

 

Ren sat there across the table from them with a pleased smile, the siblings were being so cute together he just couldn’t look away. He was ignoring that suspicious comment Jin made earlier about Minnie liking to call him unnie… he could think about that later but right now…

 

“You two are so cute.” Ren finally said. He just had to say it…

 

“Awh, thanks.” Jin chuckled just as Minnie reached for the bite he was about to eat. “Ah, Minnie, it’s my turn.”

 

“No! It’s mine!” She pulled on his hand more.

 

“Yah! You almost ate all of the cake so far, I’ve only had one bite!”

 

“Miiine!” Minnie pouted, successfully getting the bite since Jin caved. He didn’t want his sister throwing a fit in front of Ren who just called them cute!

 

“I can buy another one?” Ren giggled at their little disagreement.

 

“No, that’s okay.”

 

“Yes! Buy another one, pretty unnie!” Minnie beamed, letting Jin take a bite of the cake this time.

 

“No, we’re okay.” Jin quickly said. “Besides, you’ve had enough.”

 

“No I didn’t!” Minnie huffed, pulling at Jin’s arm again with the last bite of cake.

 

Ren laughed at the expression Jin made when he let his sister eat the last bite, it was a mix of irritation and sadness. It was so cute, so precious, so adorable, he couldn’t take it! “I’ll buy another one.” He decided on his own before getting up to go order it.

 

“Minnie! Rin bought me that cake for my birthday she missed… and you ate it all!” Jin quietly scolded.

 

“I’m sorry, unnie…” his sister pouted, giving those undeniably cute sad puppy eyes.


“Aish, it’s okay.” He assured her, kissing her forehead lightly. “Your birthday is coming up soon anyways…”

 

“Here you go.” Ren returned to the table, placing the white cake with strawberries on it in front of Jin. It brought back the memory of Jin giving Ren a slice of white cake with strawberries back at the host club!

 

“Thank you.” Jin looked up with another bright smile.

 

“Cake!” Minnie squeaked, reaching for the fork again and Jin sighed in defeat.

 

💓

 

“Your sister is adorable.” Ren commented after Jin came back to the car. They were at Jin’s place at the moment, Minnie was getting dropped off since Jin offered to drive Ren home. His mother was home by now at least so it was okay.

 

“Thanks.” Jin forced a smile and Ren noticed he must have still been pouting about his sister eating all the cake.

 

“I was waiting until she was gone…” Ren said quietly before pulling out a small box and handed it over to Jin. “I bought an extra. I had a feeling she was going to eat the second slice anyway. You’re a really good brother for not complaining too much about it, so here, you deserve it.”

 

“Really?” Jin stared at the cake being handed over to him. “Thank you!” Ren swore he was never going to get tired of seeing that bright smile of his…

 

“No problem…” he managed to say back as Jin opened up the box and took a bite. Just like his sister had done earlier, he squealed in delight at the sweet taste.

 

“You both have that same habit?” Ren asked, trying to contain his feels, it was just so cute… he was having a moment.

 

“What habit?” Jin asked slightly confused.

 

“Nevermind.” Ren shook his head with a laugh.

 

It was nice that Ren let Jin finish his cake before he took him home. The drive wasn’t really far anyway. After pulling up in the large lot, Jin couldn’t stop staring at the enormous house. He had no idea Ren/Rin was from a rich family, sure she dressed nice… last time he walked her home, he didn’t pay much attention, he was actually too focused on Rin’s beauty!

 

“This is your place?” Jin asked, leaning forward against the steering wheel to see if he could see the top of the giant mansion from his spot.

 

“You don’t remember from last time?” Ren chuckled. “It’s more like my grandparents place.” He added. “I’m staying with them since my parents and brother are currently working and studying overseas. Though when I finish college, I’m gonna move out.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Jin nodded at his answer. “I’ve been wanting to move out, too, but since mom works all the time and we have Minnie every other two weeks…”

 

“Maybe things will come up and you can later?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

It suddenly got quiet between the two and Ren spoke up before it could get awkward.

 

“Thanks for bringing me home. I’d invite you in for tea or something but I don’t want to keep you from your mother and sister.”

 

“Another time, then?” Jin smiled cutely.

 

“O-Okay.” Ren did his best from blushing right in front of him. “See you at school!” He added quickly getting out and running inside after getting his bag from the backseat. Once he was inside he dropped his bag by the door and let out a deep breath, like he had been holding it ever since he saw Jin earlier in the day.

 

“You’re home a little late, aren’t you?” His grandfather startled him. He was sitting on the couch in the room by the front entrance.

 

“What do you mean, late?! I have a curfew? It’s not even 5pm yet!” Ren complained, walking into the room to sit on the loveseat improperly that was next to the couch. He let out a long sigh. “How do girls wear these all day? My poor feet…” he mumbled, raising his knee up so he could unbuckle the straps of his low heels.

 

“I keep telling you that you don’t have to dress fancy…”

 

“If I’m gonna pretend to be a girl, I might as well play the role right!” Ren pouted, taking off the other shoe and let it drop on the ground. “Halabeoji… I think this playing as a girl is really getting to my head.” He complained, lying on his side to face his grandfather.

 

“What do you mean by that?” His grandfather glanced at him, setting his book down in his lap after placing the bookmark to save his place.

 

“I don’t know, there’s this guy from my class…”

 

“His name was Jin, right?” Ren quietly nodded. “You’re attracted to boys now?” The elder laughed.

 

“Yah! It’s not funny!” Ren frowned while sitting up. “I’m really confused… I don’t feel like this towards any other guys. This guy is different though, he’s really pretty and… acts like a girl at times.”

 

“Then you’re still attracted to girls.” His grandfather smiled.

 


“But…?” Ren looked at him confused. The look the elder was giving him was really confusing him. “I don’t get it?!”

 

“You will, eventually. Now, be a good granddaughter and go get dinner started before halmoni gets home.”

 

“Eugh!” Ren pouted, getting up out of his seat and marched to the kitchen like a spoiled child. He didn’t really like cooking and was used to being taken care of, but when his parents left that all came to an end. They spoiled him too much, even his brother spoiled him. Now he was responsible for a lot of things since well… he doesn’t pay rent so the least he could do is help around the estate, right?

 

“What do you old geezers want for dinner?” He poked his head back into the room his grandfather was in.

 

“Really, now?” The elder chuckled. “I’d like some prime rib with potato salad and french bread, maybe some coleslaw and gravy, something western.”

 

Ren was glaring at him by now. “You’re getting a baked potato and that’s it.”


Chapter three~!

 

sgyYGfcjXkLsEycqXTkn2JeIvxOhq1FxAq0bAo3m

LOL BAKED POTATO~!

3vGabpp_kJIoGnH0RVQvtYDHD4AE5UHJrocC-7CZ

Wah, some progress between our two main characters hehe

Hopefully the story can really start moving after this ^^

L8YAEbN5W_4S9Bx9ZttuAfW-7nlEUtoHLdn3RRPz

Until next time~!