No Longer At The Sideline chap 4

No Longer At The Sideline

Tuesday afternoon came. Skyler and Castor haven’t seen each other since Saturday night. Castor was absent last Monday. Skyler already told his partner in advance that he wouldn’t be able to attend to their usual project session for Monday afternoon. Now that Skyler is in front of the door of Castor’s cottage, he actually felt a bit nervous. He pressed the doorbell button. No one answered the door so he decided to call Castor’s cellphone.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to the door.” Castor’s voice sounded weak. “There’s a tree beside the cottage. My window is open.” With that, the phone call ended.

Skyler saw the tree and started to climb. He walked carefully on the large branch and went inside Castor’s room through the window. He immediately saw Castor lying on the bed in silky pajamas, which complimented Castor’s pale skin right now. Skyler’s palm rested against the prince’s forehead. “Is anybody taking care of you?”

“Not really.” Came a weak reply from the prince.

“What about your parents?”

“Out of the country.”

“The three rivals?”

Castor managed to let out a weak chuckle. “I don’t really trust them with my weak state.”

“Friend or relatives?”

“I actually thought about contacting you.”

“What about…me?” That wasn’t the question Skyler was suppose to blurt out. He was suppose to suggest some private doctor or nurse but Castor’s statement caught him off guard.

“But we seem to be on bad terms last Saturday. I clearly remember you saying that you don’t want to be friends or anything more than that so I thought you probably won’t care whatever happens to me anyway.” Castor managed a weak smile. It wasn’t a genuine either.

“I’ll cook something. I bet you haven’t eaten all day.” Skyler said as he left the room. He went to the kitchen and just made a simple but delicious mushroom soup. When he went back in Castor’s room, he saw that the prince was already in sitting position. The prince back was leaning against the headboard.

“Smells delicious.” Castor managed to pull off a genuine smile this time.

Skyler placed the bed tray in front of the prince. “Careful, it’s hot.”

Castor nodded and started to eat carefully. He would blow off the hotness before placing the spoon in his mouth. “It’s really delicious. I’m blessed to eat Skyler’s cooking!” He exclaimed childishly.

“You’re exaggerating. Mushroom soup is easy to make.” Skyler couldn’t help but feel a smile tugging on his lips. He thought about how weird their relationship is. If they’re on good terms, something bad would happen. If they’re on bad terms, something good would happen. Then he starts to wonder how the rest of his school year would be when this project is over. The project was his only reason after all on why he can’t completely avoid the prince yet. The only reason that kept him and the prince together.

“I’m done.” Castor managed to finish the entire soup in the bowl. Then he took the medicine before lying back down again on the bed. “I guess this means that our project session is postponed again.”

“Guess so.” Skyler said as he took the tray and started to walk out of the room.

“I wish we can just keep on postponing it.”

Skyler paused. He heard it even if it was said in a very soft manner. “Do you hate our project that much?” He wanted to know why Castor said such a thing.

“I just want to spend more time with you without doing the project. Oh heck, what am I saying? I’m really sick…” Castor mumbled and turned so he was facing the wall. He was expecting Skyler to give some sort or reply or retort but the blonde just left the room silently.

It took quite some time before Skyler came back in Castor’s room. Castor was simply dozing off and gained his consciousness when he heard the door opening but he still pretended to be asleep while hoping to really get some sleep. Good thing that he was still facing the wall. It makes it easier to act that he is still asleep. Then he felt fingers running through his hair.

“You’re not yet asleep, are you?” Castor didn’t reply. Skyler slipped inside the blanket and lied down next to Castor. He wrapped his arms loosely on the prince’s waist and felt the prince stiff up a bit at the action. “I noticed something today.” Still no reply. Skyler roughly pulled Castor so the prince was lying with his back on the bed and the blonde straddling him.

Castor yelped in surprise at the sudden action. His wide eyes looked into Skyler’s, who was gazing hotly right back at him. “What are you doing?” The prince asked, frightened a bit. After all, he is helpless right now with his fever.

“I wanted to talk. Face to face.” Skyler emphasized and continued staring at Castor’s face.

The prince got conscious. He could feel a blush forming on his face. “Okay, I get your point but you’re kinda scaring me and this compromising position really doesn’t help to make this situation comfortable.”

“Sorry.” Skyler gave a quick peck on Castor’s lips before lying down beside him again. “I’m aware that I shouldn’t be kissing a sick person but you looked cute at the moment so I couldn’t resist.”

“Idiot.” Castor blushed some more but he felt more comfortable now. “So what did you want to tell me?” He scooted closer towards the blonde.

“We were mostly in bad terms, arguing and not getting along. Today, when you answered my question, I noticed the we are both in denial and liars. Sometimes we say things but take it back and sometimes we just say things without meaning it.” Skyler’s arm went back to wrapping loosely around Castor’s waist. “And I’ll lie to you again. I’m only doing this because you’re sick.”

“Liar.” Castor gave out a fleeting smile before leaning his head on Skyler’s chest and hugging him right back. This was exactly how he felt when he woke up in Skyler’s arms last Saturday morning. He wanted their conversation to continue because he had a lot of questions to ask but he’s sick and tired right now. Rest is his first priority. He felt a light kiss on his temple before he resigned himself to unconsciousness.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“Nobody is answering the door. His phone seems to be turned off. I’m worried!!! I haven’t seen him since Friday!!! I want to sneak in but that‘s just wrong and what if he isn‘t home anyway? What should I do?!?!” Rascor was talking over the cellphone. Right now, he’s standing in front of Castor’s cottage.

“Do whatever you want. I’m busy. Besides, you think a rival would help you?” Xien held his cellphone between his cheek and shoulder as his hands were busy with organizing papers.

“Are you choosing paperwork over Castor?!?!?!” Rascor accused.

Xien paused from what he is doing. He placed the papers down and held the phone properly by his hand. “He was with Skyler last Saturday and got heartbroken. I got to witness everything. I wanted to comfort him but he might think that I am just taking advantage of the situation. He obviously doesn’t feel well but he’ll come back to school soon so stop worrying already.

“Damn that Skyler…” The anger in Rascor’s voice was very clear over the phone. “We really have to think of a revenge over that guy. I’m going over to your place right now!!!”

“What? Hey--” Xien was cut off as Rascor hanged up. Then after a few minutes, there was the sound of the doorbell. When he opened the door, Rascor was already there. “You idiot. I’m busy. I don’t have time for you right now.”

“What do you mean for me? We are going to do this for Castor!!! If I didn’t know any better, I think your feelings for him are started to fade.” Rascor huffed. Then there was silence. “Whoa…I was only joking man…” But Xien just continued to stare solemnly at Rascor. “No way… you don’t have feelings for him anymore?”

“I was just joking man.” Xien imitated Rascor. “But I’m really busy and you shouldn’t really ask help from your rival.”

Rascor looked at him confusingly for a minute because Xien just…well…joked? And at a serious moment too. That’s just not that Xien he knows. “In case you haven’t notice, Mr. Smartass. We are rivals when it comes to Castor’s love but we along with Chrono have always been accomplices when it comes to revenge to whoever hurts Castor. Besides, you’re always busy but you always make time for Castor. This revenge is for Castor!”

Xien sighed and leaned against the doorframe. “You don’t understand, Rascor. Skyler is different from the rest because Castor…loves this person. I hate to admit it but that’s the truth. If we do revenge on Skyler, Castor would be hurt. You wouldn’t want to hurt Castor, would you?”

Rascor looked down and clenched his fists. “I can’t accept this! I could accept if I lose Castor to you but to lose him over some random guy that came into his life just a few day ago?!?!” He punched the wall beside the doorframe that Xien was leaning.

Xien remained unfazed though the anger radiating all over Rascor’s body. He looked at the hand that punched the wall. “Idiot. Don’t hurt yourself. Castor wouldn’t like that either.” He took Rascor’s hand and checked for broken bones. “Good thing you didn’t break any bones but this will bruise badly. Come inside. I’ll give you some icepack.” He was starting to walk back inside when he found out that Rascor didn’t follow him. “Do I have to drag your in here?”

“I can walk just fine.” Rascor seethed as he made his way inside the cottage. Yes, Xien also has his own cottage near the school while Rascor and Chrono live in an apartment near their school. Chrono’s reason is because of his hectic schedule of being a teenage star. Rascor’s reason because he doesn’t like the dorm’s curfew.

Xien went to the kitchen and took an ice pack. “Here.” He handed the icepack to Rascor.

“Thanks. I know you care for me.” Rascor grinned. It seems that his mood has lifted up again. Talk about mood swings. That’s Rascor for ya.

“A lot.” Xien emphasized as he went back to staring solemnly at Rascor.

Rascor stared right back at him. It doesn’t help that they were sitting right next to each other. “That look on your face is the same as before.”

“Hm?” Xien managed to look clueless but he knows what Rascor is talking about.

“You really don’t have feelings for Castor anymore.” Rascor stated and went back to being serious. But he was really in for a big surprise when he felt Xien’s lips on his. He punched Xien in reflex. “What the hell are you doing?!?!?!?” He threw the icepack at Xien and left the cottage feeling angry and confuse.

Xien just sighed and placed the icepack on his cheek instead. He is going to have a bruise as well. “I have to go back to work.” He needed work to take his mind off of things.

Wednesday morning. The three rivals met up at the school gate to wait for their beloved prince as usual but the atmosphere was tense for Xien, awkward for Rascor and different for Chrono. The teenage star knows that something must have happened between the genius and the athlete. “What happened? Don’t say ‘nothing’ when you’ve got bruises as evidences.”

Rascor folded his arms and looked away, refusing to speak while Xien merely shrugged and said. “Rascor’s knock on the door is actually considered as ‘punching’ so when I opened it, I got punched. Apparently, he’s too dumb to notice the difference between punching and knocking.”

“What the heck?!?! I’m not dumb!!! What kind of lame excuse is that anyway?!?!” Rascor grabbed Xien’s collar and shook him roughly.

“Hey, hey! Calm down! Don’t get violent right in front of the school. Castor won‘t approve of your violence.” Chrono interjected.

Rascor reluctantly released Xien. “If it weren’t for Castor, you would have ended up in the hospital a long time ago.”

Xien fixed his uniform as he was released. “Not really. We have a family doctor so I’ll just be staying at home if I would be injured badly.”

“Rich git.”

“Poor bastard.”

“Oh look at the time!” Chrono interrupted again. “It’s almost time for classes to start. I guess Castor won’t be showing up today so let’s get to class. See ya!” He left.

“What was that all about last night?” Rascor asked softly as they are now alone.

“Just forget about it.” Xien sighed.

“How can I forget about it?!?! You stole my first kiss!!!” The athlete exclaimed.

The genius raised an eyebrow. “That was your first kiss?” Then he laughed. “You’re kidding.” But Rascor remained serious despite the blush forming on his cheeks. “Don’t tell me you were saving your first kiss for Castor?” Xien laughed some more.

Rascor pouted. “What’s wrong with that?!?! I wanted it to be special with the person I love. You just had to ruin it. Stop laughing!”

Xien calmed down from laughing, taking deep breaths. He placed a hand on Rascor’s shoulder. “Haven’t you thought that maybe Castor might not like the way you kiss him because you have no experience? You’re probably a sloppy kisser. No wonder you didn’t respond to the kiss last night. You probably didn’t know what to do.” He tried to keep himself from laughing hard again.

“Didn’t I respond by punching you? The bruise is there on your cheek for you to remember.” Rascor’s eyebrow twitched. Now that he thought about it, he really don’t know how to respond if he wanted to. // It’s not like I wanted to kiss him back anyway. // He gave out a low growl to his thoughts.

“I understand that you weren’t satisfied because I didn’t do the French kiss.” Xien said with mocked sympathy.

If Rascor was a cartoon character, smoke would have been going out from his ears right now. “Shut up! Ugh! I’m not having this stupid conversation with you.” He turned and stomped his way towards the school.

End of chapter 4

OoOoOoOoOoOoOo

A/N: One more chapter to go...so please comment!!! ^_^