CH 2

Pure Heart

 


 

 

Ryeowook decided to hide behind Donghae as they approached the dining table, filled up with six hungry housemates of Donghae. His heart is beating fast and Donghae gave him an assurance grip, just to hear a soft mumble of Ryeowook, “I want to go home...”

Donghae doubted it. Leeteuk might find its better for Ryeowook to stay with them now, that he knows everything of their existence and also due to the condition he is in. Leeteuk might be considerate but if its concern anything related to them, he would turn into a strict leader at once.

Everyone’s attention shifted to the two, mostly trying to peek through to Ryeowook that completely concealing himself behind Donghae. Ryeowook, due to his so called teenager curiosity, peeked a bit, and shocked when a voice startled him from behind. “What’s your name again?” the voice is soft, belong to Kyuhyun.

As a reflect, Ryeowook accidentally hit the latter stomach with his elbow. Kyuhyun bent his body in pain, a soundless groan escaped his throat. “Oh my god...” Ryeowook trembled; a bit guilty a bit scared of Kyuhyun’s future reaction. However, the others who are watching decided that such a scene is funny when they burst into wholehearted laugh.

“Shut up.” Kyuhyun hissed.

“This is a nice start for the day.” Heechul snickered.

Kyuhyun glared towards the latter, quickly finding Ryeowook, still hiding behind Donghae after all the commotion. Donghae is still laughing, tears collecting inside his eyes. All Kyuhyun can see is Ryeowook’s eyes just over Donghae’s shoulder, a bit apologetic. “This is the second time you showed me your taekwondo moves. Considering you can’t even move when you almost got .”

Ryeowook pouted. “It is your fault. Why did you talk behind my ears?”

“I was just asking for your name.”

“His name is Ryeowook.” Donghae cut off. “Well, thank you Kyuhyun for the nice start but I’m trying to introduce him. Everyone, he is Ryeowook, my schoolmate.” Donghae smiled, bringing Ryeowook in front of him. Ryeowook tried to move back but, Donghae’s hold is surprisingly strong. With no choice, he bowed and smiled; awkwardly.

“You are still going to the stupid school?” a tall lean guy butted in, picking up a sandwich.

Donghae smiled. “My Eunhyuk is alone over there.” he pulled Ryeowook to sit with him, opposite to a munching boy that Ryeowook found cute. “That’s Henry. “

Henry raised his hand, his smile almost make his eyes closed. Ryeowook lowered his head, playing with his fingers.

“Ryeowook, eat the breakfast.” Ryeowook looked up, finding a man behind him, putting a sandwich onto his plate. “I don’t know how do you like it, but I made it according to everyone preference. And don’t worry, its edible to human.” He said, as if understanding what has been bothering the human.

Ryeowook looked at the sandwich, look normal. “I told you, we eat as human did.” Donghae blurted out. “Leeteuk hyung wouldn’t lie. He is not good with it.”

“But he is good in bed.” A blonde guy interfered. Henry almost sprayed out his food, when the tall guy stopped him from doing so.

“Heechul.” Leeteuk glared.

“Yes babe.” Heechul countered.

“We are trying to eat.” The tall guy said.

“You ed Yesung didn’t you, Siwon?” Heechul smirked.

Henry gaped, looking at Siwon next to him as Siwon put an apple slice inside his gaping mouth. “I did it skilfully.”

Kyuhyun snickered. “We all know you are the sloppiest in . And Donghae.”

“Geez, Eunhyuk never said he is unsatisfied.” Donghae retorted.

“Doesn’t mean he like it though. Eunhyuk is always nice to people. He is nice to me to.” Henry said with his mouth full of food. Everyone burst out laughing.

Donghae pouted. “Whatever, I’m good.”

Ryeowook, trough all the conversation turned beet red, and decide to just lower his head. Donghae has told him how he and the others are almost thousands years old and he cannot deny the need for these oldies to talk about their ual desire.

“Guys, we are eating.” Leeteuk spoke out, face blushed. He gulped down a glass of water, and purposely stepped onto Heechul’s foot under the table.

“Arrrrkkk! Teuki!”

“You are sleeping outside today.” Leeteuk smiled his angelic smile.

Kyuhyun smirked. “Serve you right. Well, Donghae, your schoolmate isn’t hungry or what?” Kyuhyun asked nonchalantly, eyes right towards his food. Everyone’s attention diverted to the shy Ryeowook.

“Wook?” Donghae hold his shoulder. “Eat a bit, okay?”

Ryeowook sighed, biting his lip. “Hae, I want to go home...” Ryeowook said; slow but surely can be heard by everyone.

Donghae sighed, looking at Leeteuk in the process. The oldest however just smile. “If that’s what you want. We can’t stop you.” Ryeowook smiled for the first time, sincerely. “But, we also can do anything if you say anything you shouldn’t.” Leeteuk’s voice deep and straight.

Ryeowook gulped. “Hyung, Ryeowook is my friend, my best friend. He wouldn’t.” Donghae defended him.

Siwon chuckled. “We can’t say. I have been thinking about something that I think you guys have noticed. We don’t know him.”

Donghae put down his sandwich. “I know him. I’ve seen him before this. I know he wouldn’t do anything that would bring us danger. Plus, I’m always with him, we are in the same school and if you can’t believe him, I can watch over him.”

Heechul put out a fake cough. “If Donghae say so, don’t you think its okay?”

“I think its okay hyung. He seems nice.” Henry gave Ryeowook a smile; as he pinched Siwon in the hand.

Siwon yelped in pain. “Well, he doesn’t seem like a bad person.” His heart though, still in disbelieves.

Everyone now stared at the quiet Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun picked up his glass as he stands. “If it’s a problem to believe him, and Donghae’s assurance is not enough, I can watch over him too.” He walked away towards the keys stand, hiding smirk on his lips.

“You mean you are going to school with me?” Donghae flabbergasted. “No way! No way!”

“That’s a good idea.” Leeteuk nodded. “Okay then, starting from now, Donghae and Kyuhyun will be on your watch, okay Ryeowook?”

Ryeowook nodded. “But, Donghae is enough.”

Donghae nodded frantically. The thought of having to be with Kyuhyun and meet the latter every single day scared him to the bone.

Heechul shook his head. “He will be busy with Eunhyuk. Who gonna watch over you?” he interfered.

Ryeowook bit his lip. “But, seriously...” he played with his finger. “I wouldn’t do anything that brings you danger. I promise.” He put up one of his palm. “I promise for my whole life.”

“You hate me or what?”Kyuhyun appeared next to his ear again.

Ryeowook yelped in shock, heart beating fast. “Geez seriously, why did you always do that?”

Kyuhyun bent his body just to reach the latter’s chin. “Because I like it.” Ryeowook’s eyes blinked. “Let us watch over each other, alright?” he winked, walking away in a second; leaving the stumped Ryeowook with his mouth gaped open.

He is weird. He is just a wacko.

 

Leeteuk closed the door of his study room. He looked around trying to figure out if any of the books would be a good reference to Ryeowook’s case. This is the first time that he encountered such a situation. In that moment he started to be disbelieve of Ryeowook, even though his mind is saying that Ryeowook is a nice kid. He took a seat on the couch, feeling his heavy burden on his shoulder. It has been his responsibility to protect his family from the recruiting Kang Brothers and the Shins and even from the human. Since the beginning of the soul-eaters existence, they are made from the dark matter element added with different essences that made them different from each other. They are a total of four groups subsisted and because of the differences, they have been in serious dispute until a war erupted that at last that vanished the clusters; now there’s no more dividing in soul-eaters, all left is just being in group like them or alone. The Kang brothers created their own group, containing soul-eaters that only see human as their daily food. Adding to the fire, the Shin family; the hunter is up to their tail. Due to some out of control soul-eaters out there, the Shin has been active, watching for their every move.

A knock to the door, shocked him a bit as the others entered except for Kyuhyun who has been gone after the breakfast. Heechul quickly shifted to Leeteuk’s side; putting his head on the latter’s shoulder. “Heechul...”

“Let me rest. And you guys gonna talk a lot about Ryeowook after all.” Heechul nagged. With no choice, Leeteuk silenced.

“Hyung, do you know why?” Donghae asked, sitting next to Siwon as Henry took the one seated couch.

Leeteuk knows right away that Donghae is referring to Ryeowook and he shook his head as answer. “But, how is he before?”

Donghae sighed. “He’s good, all clear and shiny. But two months ago, remember when I said I’m going to a funeral and you guys laugh your off?” Everyone nodded. “It’s for his parents. They were killed by a crazy bastard, Soe Jaehee his name is.”

“For what?” Siwon interfered.

“I don’t really know the detail. But when they did the funeral, Ryeowook is still unconscious. He woke up after six days and after that he hasn’t go to school and been locking himself up in his house.” Donghae continued long.

Henry puffed his baby cheeks. “That’s so sad.”

“So, why was he out yesterday?” Leeteuk questioned.

Donghae shrugged. “All he said is he was trying to get some air.”

Siwon crossed his legs. “It could be because of that.” he said; refering tothe murder.

“Or it could be a trigger.” Heechul said; hummed from Leeteuk’s shoulder.

“What do you mean?” Leeteuk asked.

“The lizard look alike hunter we met last week said something, remember?” Heechul sighed.

“About what?” Leeteuk is trying hard to remember.

“The immortal, the hidden heart, the key.” Heechul repeated the key information he remembered. “We thought he was high, though.”

“The hidden heart...” Henry mumbled. “Ryeowook?!”

“What is all that about?” Siwon looked at Leeteuk.

Donghae’s face turned frantic. “Don’t tell me that’s true. It’s just a legend.”

Leeteuk shook his head. “No one knows if it’s a legend. No one is alive to prove it.”

“Then, let’s ask the dead.” Heechul said, getting up from Leeteuk’s shoulder. “Let’s meet the Park.”

 

Ryeowook stayed firm behind the door. Last night he was sent home by Donghae and Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun being Kyuhyun tried to stay at his home. He kicked both of the guys out and tried to sleep but his mind wandered off. He can’t stop thinking about how Kyuhyun saved him that night. Being with Donghae’s family, he cannot deny that they seems nice but the fact that he knew what they are capable off, sent him a chill down his spine.

However his wandering mind was stopped when a knock was heard from the door.  A bit in shock, Ryeowook opened the door in annoyance just to find a man leaning to the wall by the door. He quickly recognizes the latter and tried to close the door again when Kyuhyun stopped it with his foot.

“Geez...you are not welcoming at all.” Kyuhyun chuckled and yawned after that. He didn’t have any sleep last night.

Ryeowook pouted. “What are you doing here?” opening the door again.

“Picking you up. We should watch over each other, remember?”

“Donghae?” Ryeowook puzzled, his eyes searching for his friend.

Kyuhyun shrugged. “I don’t know.” He made a poker face. However, deep in his thought he is laughing hard, thinking how Donghae fumed when he was locked inside the car just for Kyuhyun to run quickly to Ryeowook’s house; alone. He knows the latter cant resort to break the door in public and he cannot be late to pick up Eunhyuk. “Let’s go to school.”

Ryeowook’s face changed. The thought of school and being with crowd invaded him. He knows that once he steps into his class, he will be bombarded with questions; all about his family’s tragedy. All those thought made him sighed in burden and grievances.

Kyuhyun noticed the sigh and stared at Ryeowook. He has heard about the latter from Henry and those facts made him feel a need to cheer the smaller one. He knows for himself that he is never good in human social relationship, friendship or whatever ships they have but he is wandering about how he thinks he need to intervene in this one matter. He never has any care or aware of the need in taking care of others but this time it is different.

“We can skip it if you want to?” Kyuhyun suggested.

Ryeowook’s eyes lighted up and Kyuhyun noticed it. “But...it’s your first day.” He said, reluctantly.

Kyuhyun smiled. “Well, not that I need a perfect attendance.”

That statement made Ryeowook laughed a bit but noticing that Kyuhyun staring at him; Ryeowook stopped abruptly. “So, you can go home. Or you want to...” Ryeowook trailed off.

“Or I want what?” Kyuhyun cut him off.

“Come in?”

“Are you inviting me?”

Ryeowook huffed in irritation. “It’s okay if you don’t want to.” He said; closing the door.

Once again Kyuhyun stopped it and chuckled. “Of course I want to. Can’t lose the chance aren’t I?” he stepped in into the house, pulling off his shoes as his eyes roaming through the house. It is smaller than their mansion but still it is nice than most human house he has been to. “Nice house.”

Ryeowook ignored the comment, quickly taking off his tie. Deciding to skip the school; again and plus with Kyuhyun as his crime partner doesn’t seem so appealing but this is what he wanted today. “By the way, I locked the gate?” Ryeowook puzzled.

“I jumped.” Kyuhyun replied short, sitting on the couch. He patted on the seat next to him but Ryeowook shook his head.

“I don’t like sitting there.” He said, going up to the stairs.

“You invited me in and now leaving me alone here?”

Ryeowook nodded. “I didn’t say I will entertain you.” Ryeowook stopped after taking two steps. “And Kyuhyun...”

“Hmmm?”

“Thank you for that night.” Ryeowook blurted out, quickly running up the stairs.

Kyuhyun, a bit taken aback by the sudden gratitude, stood up but failed to reply the already gone Ryeowook. He crossed his arms; satisfied by the latter’s appreciation. If he could say it honestly, he has never saved anyone before. But seeing Ryeowook that night, his feet were just as moved by themselves, just to protect the latter.

He walked to the stairs, a bit hesitated to climb it. His eyes caught a frame hanging by the wall, smiling faces of Ryeowook and his parents; Kyuhyun believes. He walked closer; staring at Ryeowook’s smiling face. So, he could smile like that...

“Do you wanna eat anything?” Ryeowook’s voice suddenly reached his ears from the staircase. Kyuhyun quickly shifted his attention towards the real person, and nodded. “What do you want?” Ryeowook’s voice sounded nervous; a bit shaky.

Kyuhyun smirked. He knows the latter is always nervous around him; not that he knows why. But Kyuhyun knows that he also felt the same, it just that he is a good actor. “You can cook?”

Ryeowook nodded. “Simple one.”

As both of them walked to the kitchen, Kyuhyun hummed a song; thinking any dish he wants. He is not that hungry but maybe this could ease the latter’s loneliness a bit. “I want spaghetti. Bolognese.”

Ryeowook dumbfounded. “At early in the morning?”

Kyuhyun took a seat at the chair on the middle counter island. “What’s wrong with that? I like spaghetti.”

“Okay okay. Just don’t complain if it’s terrible.” Ryeowook sighed. He rummaged through the fridge; getting out the ingredients. He feels himself blushed, noticing that Kyuhyun is staring at his every moves. “Help me.” He said, trying to get rid of the awkwardness.

“I’m not good with kitchen chores.” Kyuhyun crossed his arms, his face a bit puffed. “A guest shouldn’t do any work though.”

“You are not my guest.” Ryeowook retorted.

“You invited me in.”

“You came here without being invited.”

Kyuhyun deadpanned. “You are so stubborn, don’t you?”

Ryeowook chuckled. “A bit, yeah.” His hands busy with the knife. “My dad used to say I inherited it from my mom.” His face turned gloomy.

Kyuhyun noticed it even though Ryeowook is lowering his head; trying to show his attention towards peeling the onions. “What do you want me to help with?” he asked, moved next to Ryeowook.

Ryeowook tapped a jar of tomato puree on the counter island. “I can’t open it.” he looked at Kyuhyun with puppy eyes; not noticing a twitch at the corner of the taller one’s eyes.

Kyuhyun sighed. “You can’t do this?” he reached the glass bottle; thinking that this is his first time holding a tomato puree jar. He used his full force, trying to get it open when suddenly the bottle cracked into several pieces. “Aiyaaa....”

“Gosh! Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook yelped in shock, watching how the tomato puree tainted the floor as well as Kyuhyun’s white shirt. “What are you doing?!”

“I don’t think it will break like that!” Kyuhyun retorted.

“You should control your strength! You are not normal, remember?!” Ryeowook said, dragging the latter to the sink; carefully avoiding the glass pieces on the floor.

“I never opened anything like that...” Kyuhyun trailed off; pouting. “Told you, I’m not good with kitchen chores.”

Ryeowook glared at the latter, getting the wet cloth to wipe Kyuhyun’s shirt. “Geez...never thought that the soul-eater can also be dumb and troublesome.” He nagged.

Kyuhyun deadpanned. “You have such a good tongue.” Kyuhyun replied.

“I was born with it.” Ryeowook smirked. “Gosh, I don’t think it can be cleaned.” He continued; referring to the shirt.

Kyuhyun sighed. “It’s okay, just let me get changed.” He said, stopping Ryeowook’s hand from wiping. Without thinking, he swiftly buttoning off his shirt and Ryeowook shrieked.

“What are you doing?!”

“Changing.” He answered nonchalantly; getting his shirt off in front of the pitiful one. Ryeowook looked elsewhere, giving his full attention towards the sink. “Let me borrow your t-shirt.”

Ryeowook nodded, looking to his left. From the corner of his eyes he can see Kyuhyun’s revealed abdomen. “In my room, first room up to the second floor.” He said, getting to the messy floor.

Kyuhyun looked at the latter weirdly, and grabbed his arm without notice. “Are you shy?”

“Why should I?” Ryeowook braved himself to look at Kyuhyun in the eyes. He feels the awkwardness filling up the air.

“Well, can’t deny I’ve got a nice body, right blushie?” Kyuhyun smirked; looking at the blushing face. “Do you wanna touch me?” Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows playfully.

Ryeowook dumfounded. “For god sake, I will rot my hand.” He quickly tried to push the latter out of the kitchen. “Go and change!”

Kyuhyun chuckled; not bothering to tease Ryeowook anymore. He yawned as he climbs the stairs and found Ryeowook’s room. The first word crossed his mind is simple. Ryeowook’s room is spacious, with a pastel peach wall and some photos hanging. A normal sized king sized bed, and a study table. A night stand, cute looking night lamp on it and lastly the teddy bear on the bed and he conclude that, “Gosh he is cute,” a bit gawking as he yawned again.

Kyuhyun decided to take a seat on the bed, taking a deep breath. His eyes fluttered and he grabbed the teddy bear, making himself a pillow. He laid calmly, just like his own bed, and thinking that until to this moment he cannot get rid of the thought that this house of Ryeowook is too quiet. It’s lonely...

Deep in thought his eyes fluttered close; not noticing that sleep slowly took over him.

 

Ryeowook jumped around. “No no no! Stupid Ryeowook!”

After he has cleaned the mess Kyuhyun made, he found his mind replaying the scene of Kyuhyun without his shirt again and again. “Seriously...” he clenched the knife handle in frustration and started to chop the onion vigorously. “Idiot...”

After awhile, he noticed that Kyuhyun has been in his room far too long. Switched off the boiling water, he ran towards the stairs; calling Kyuhyun in the process. “Kyuhyun!”

“Kyu...” reached his room, his mouth shut closed; looking at the sleeping Kyuhyun on his bed. His eyes blinked rapidly, processing the fact that Kyuhyun is sleeping in his room, still without his shirt. Ryeowook tip toed towards the bed; trying to stay quiet as much as possible.

“Geez, if you are tired, just say so.” He mumbled. He reached the blanket over the other side, slowing down the air-conditioner and sighed.

He slipped down and sits on the floor, resting his chin on the edge of the bed. Staring at Kyuhyun, he can’t contradict that he does feel a sense of fear every time Kyuhyun is near him but it is not that strong. In fact, he feels a bit awkward and somehow comfortable around the latter. Deep in his heart he is thankful at Kyuhyun for saving him that night.

“Kyuhyun, thank you.” He said; softly.

Suddenly, Kyuhyun, who has always been a light sleeper; already woke up when Ryeowook covered him with the blanket; turned to face Ryeowook by the side of the bed. “For what?”

Ryeowook who has already chucked his face onto the soft bed replied with muffled voice, “For being with me today.”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “You are so welcome.”

 

The red head smashed the table in anger. His face red from all the resentment he felt towards the unwind soul-eater in front of him. “What are you doing?! I told you to bring him back! The heck you have done?!”

The latter scoffed. “I was having fun. His mother, she made my partner punished to death. Hung up and nothing. I was starting to like him a bit.”

The other two watching giggled in silent; earning a glare from the leader of Kang Brothers. “And now what has happen? He is with those peace lover fags!”

“Look Yunho. It is not that bad. At least he trigged his awakening.” Jessica said, leaning to the wall.

“And lied to the psychiatrist. I heard he made quite a ruckus. Cool.” Jaehee winked as Changmin gave him a thumb up.

“Jaehee, I’m not joking at all. And only after two months you come back. You should have come back sooner idiot.” Yunho frowned.

Jaehee snickered. “You never know how to have fun. The nurses are hot.”

“What’s your opinion on this?” Yunho reverted towards the man by the window; looking far into the sky out front. This man is always dark...

“What do you want me to do?” he asked as a reply.

“Get him.” Yunho ordered.

The brunette hesitated for a bit but nodded, eyes glittered with dark purple gleams as he remembered someone he going to have to betray. Sighed he stepped outside of the room.

“That Yesung, you have to be careful of him.” Jaehee said, reaching a cigarette from his pocket. “He is quite fond of Siwon from the other group.”

“But still he is better than you.” Yunho retorted.

Jaehee smirked. “Well, we will have to see about that.”

 

 


 

huhuhu XD enjoy it ~~~ thanks for reading, commenting, subscribing and voting <3