Hoshi's star

Short Season
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time there was a mad vampire scientist who spends hundreds of years into studying how to create a perfect Chimera. Chimera that could connect to a person. Millions of fund was wasted, hundreds life of living organism was stolen, but the mad scientist didn’t stop not until he created what he wanted to. Until one day he perfectly achieved his goal. A creature has a lion body and has a wings of condor. It was called Griffin. He proudly presented it to the Vampires Association.

“Griffin could help us when war comes!” he cried in the open hall one hand holding the leash of his chimera.

“There was no war, no war was going to happen. You’re playing with the natures balance. You should be punished.” The chimera was snatched into his hands by the guards.

The mad scientist was thrown into the dungeon. Not seeing the sun for 200 years. Fighting for his life only drinking a cup of blood per month. He swore to continue his research after his sentence. He will take revenge to the Vampire Association.

A decade past after the freedom was given back to the mad scientist. The news about the mad scientist adopting a lot of kids from different orphanage arises. The orphanage can’t check the kids personally given that the scientist lives in his own isolated island. But they made a call in the span of 3 months for assurance purposes. To make sure that the kids are safe.  This kids isn’t just vampires, but also humans, werewolves, fairies and even Shape shifters. The Association was a bit alarm when the count of the kids that were adopted reached to more than 50.

The Orphanage was the one who files the report, for the past months they never heard a word from the mad scientist thou the kids were answering the phone call saying the scientist were just busy. When this reached the Association they’ve doubt it so given that the Scientist lives in an isolated island it is really hard to find, but the Association was determined to check the situation in the island.

*

Hoshi is back from one of his assignment. He just change his uniform before going to the balcony to get some fresh air. The Association was giving him consecutive assignments that’s a bit hard this days, maybe because he’s becoming an adult now. He looks at the sky watching the stars shines like a diamond. It looks like they’re watching him, it looks like the stars know him so well he closes his eyes, then his hands slowly comes up, motioning to reach something. He imagined what if the tales about wishing to stars are true, he could have wish for a Family or a person who would give him encouraging words just like his subordinates but also could stay beside him. A person that would paint colours in his dark and white life.

He felt someone throws something in his head so he opened his eyes. He looks at where it came from and saw his subordinate from the other balcony giving him a big smile. The smile is always blinding, it is beautiful to see especially to those agents like them who only lives because the Association needs them. There’s nothing extravagant in their life like the spreading rumours down town. But given the fact that they receive golds and other necessities for a person to live it can’t be helped.

He waved back to the other person, wishing his smile is as warm as the other.

“Glad you’re back!” the other screamed.

“I’m also glad that I’m back Seokmin.” Hoshi replied, he then put his foot in the railings, and jumped to the other’s balcony.

“Woah! You change your hair!” Seokmin who widen his eyes. Hoshi removed his beanie showing his Silver blonde hair.

“Do I look weird? It is needed from my last assignment.” He explained.

They both entered Seokmin’s apartment. It is just like Hoshi’s, nothing’s very different aside from Seokmin’s that has clothes here and there, Hoshi’s room is more neat because he thinks he only stays there to change his clothes, and the smell is definitely different. Seokmin is a shape shifter, he was saved years ago he can’t find his family so he signed contract to the Association. The smell is rather a bit different. Hoshi is more relaxed here, he sit in Seokmin’s couch placing the pillow in his lap. Knowing that you have someone that is there for you is giving Hoshi the safety he wish he could feel in his own apartment.

Seokmin sit in the other end of the couch, staring at Hoshi’s face, so Hoshi stares back. A smile is always present in Seokmin’s face. Sometimes Hoshi wants to know what’s on the other’s mind, he really wants to read minds just like Jeonghan, his other subordinate, if he could see it just once maybe he can copy it. He fall asleep thinking when he could smile sincerely like Seokmin.

*

The next morning the higher ranking officials calls every Agent that was present in the vicinity of the Vampires Association. Hoshi thought maybe it was a bigger operation this time, maybe they could work as a partner or a group it makes him excited, he always works alone he is one of the top agent alongside Jeonghan and 3 others. Because of their training and their special abilities they can finish their assignments alone.

But after hearing the situation he voluntarily takes the case which surprised the Officials, especially Nana because she usually just throws some random case to Hoshi who’s always just silent.

Hearing the story gives goose bumps all over Hoshi’s body. His hands and feet turns cold and he sweats a lot.  So much for his hate for Scientist and laboratories he took the case. He wants to know if the kids were still okay, he wants to save them not wanting them to be a subject of any scientific experiments. Hoshi knows very well the void that it would cause. If you survive you would go to Existential crisis just like him.

To say that Hoshi isn’t contented with his life that’s not it, he is lost, the emotion that painted in his face is not his. The scientist teach him what to feel, how to communicate with other people. Being the only one who survived from hundreds of experiment they want him to be a perfect weapon, he’s like a vessel and the scientist just filled him with different colours to associate for a given situation.

Even his real name Kwon Soonyoung isn’t him, so when they give him the chance to give himself a codename for his first operation, he excitedly shouts for Hoshi dedicated for his love for the stars.

He doesn’t want anyone to feel empty just like him.

*

For a quiet a while Hoshi studies the Folder that Nana handed to him. They give him three days to prepare, but preparation isn’t needed for Hoshi, he wants to study the situation in the environment itself rather than to read words and sentences that can’t guaranteed fact.

In his room while packing a bit of clothes he needed, Jeonghan just walks in.

“What is it Jeonghan?” he asked tiredly.

“I’ve heard that you accept it. I want it though.” Jeonghan said, then he flopped to the bed. Hoshi didn’t answer.

“You know the son of the son of the Princess? Kim Mingyu, he is so tall now. It is impressive.” Jeonghan is there again talking about his assignment which must be classified. “and his older brother, the human is cute too, he knows how to sing and play guitar.”

“Jeonghan if you tattle tale every classified information and the association found out you’re not the only one who’s doomed.” Hoshi warned him.

“but I’m just saying that I’m having a great time with my friends.” Jeonghan countered him, hoshi is a bit surprised. Agents aren’t allowed to be friends while doing work. He looked at Jeonghan like he’s asking if it’s true. “it’s not hard to make friends with them, it’s so warm in their house. I’m always welcome there. The human amused me he knows I can read him but he acts like I can’t, he knows I can manipulate memories but he said he’s not afraid.” Jeonghan finished, Hoshi is jealous thinking Jeonghan found a playmate. Then Jeonghan smacked him in the head.

“He’s not a playmate! Joshua is especial to me, I won’t play his memory.”

“Don’t say that, your work isn’t done yet”

“You know it would take hundreds of years to baby sit the Erebus.”

“and it wouldn’t take a hundred years before your human dies, so memories with him would be worthless Jeonghan, drop your feelings.” Hoshi said closing his bag and was sent flying to the wall by Jeonghan who’s showing of his fangs and his eyes are crimson red. Jeonghan was fast to put his arms to his neck cutting off his air passage.

This was the first time he saw Jeonghan this angry, did he crossed the line. He just utter the truth, but then he saw tears running down Jeonghan’s cheeks. Jeonghan looks in pain thou Hoshi didn’t see any wound or bleeding in Jeonghan’s body before he walks in the room. Hoshi was a bit lost.

“Don’t state the obvious Soonyoung, our memories worth it all. His smile, his laugh, his voice, I will treasure every memories of ours. Don’t talk like you know anything about feeling Kwon Soonyoung when you yourself doesn’t know anything about it.” Jeonghan released him wiping his own tears “Don’t come to me when your heart beats for someone you can’t have Soonyoung” Jeonghan walks out of the room slamming the door. Hoshi cough because he thought he would die for the lack of air.

Jeonghan acted like he doesn’t know Hoshi after that.

*

They spent 3 hours in the air trying to find the island Hoshi was reading news in his phone then the navigator tells him to prepare. They use harness because they can’t find a flat surface that the helicopter can land. Hoshi carry a medium sized bag. He is welcomed by four girls.

“We thought an adult would come here” the girl with black hair stated “let’s bow girls, welcome to our island” she continued.

“I’m Hoshi, is there’s adult here who I can talk to?” He asked the girls just shakes their head.

“I am Chaerin a vampire, this is Dara and Bom they are both fairy, and this is Minzy she’s a shape shifter. We can ask our Minghao he’s our oldest brother” chaerin who welcomed him introduces themselves.

By their height their age seems like ranging from 8 to 12. They walk to through the forest and deep inside there’s a mansion, it was impressively clean inside, Hoshi saw kids playing here and there. The place looks like a heaven for kids, even thou they come to different races and species they all get along so well.

“we will call Minghao” Dara and Bom said in unison they both run holding each other’s hand.

“I-I will make tea” Minzy who looks like their youngest stated then walks slowly away.

Chaerin opened a room which looks like office mixed with a library because of the large number of books in each shelve.

“please wait here.” Chaerin walks out of the room leaving Hoshi alone. This gives Hoshi the opportunity to stroll each shelves.

The books there are all about Mutations, chimera, hybrids. It makes Hoshi’s stomach churn. Thinking of it he didn’t saw any Adult around he thought he would be welcomed by the professor but kids greeted him. Hoshi grabbed a book about Psychological meaning of Colours and sits on the couch, after waiting for 30 minutes the door opens, revealing Minzy who’s holding a tray with a cup of tea. Then in his back he saw a boy with curly yellow blonde hair who sends him a big smile. The smile is definitely different from anyone else, it gives him chills. Hoshi closes the book and stands up. The two walks towards him and Minzy places the tea in the table before leaving.

“You must be Hoshi! I’m sorry for keeping you wait, I just received a phone call from the orphanage and the vampires Association and I’m Minghao also a vampire like you” Minghao explained.

“Are the kids okay in this island?”

“They’re 100% happy and satisfied they enjoy here, in short we’re all okay”

“Can I talk to the person who adopted you?”

“oh Dad is not here, he just travelled to go to Europe to fix some papers there. He wouldn’t be here until winter.”

Hoshi didn’t know if Minghao is lying or not but the smile spread in his face didn’t fade. Hoshi sip in his tea.

“But if you want to wait for him for months then you are welcome here. There’s a lot of rooms here.”

Hoshi decided to stay for a while he calls the Association to scan the entire Europe to see if what Minghao told him was true.

*

Hoshi spends his first three days inside the room, he learned that there are at least 30 kids in the mansion and they all work as a group, from the kitchen to the house cleaning. Minghao explained that a virus spread last year so many of them died from sickness. Minghao is always beside him to explain everything he asked.

“So where did you get your food?” Hoshi asked. The food is great and it was fun when they’re about to eat, they tell story in the dining hall its quiet refreshing to Hoshi. The kids didn’t fight for food and for the vampires they drink animal bloods.

“We have a small farm, the kids loves playing there sometimes the kids also haunt inside the forest although I told them we didn’t need to.” Minghao said with a pout, Hoshi can’t avert his eyes Minghao is cute sometimes.

“Give me a tour in this island.” Hoshi said. Minghao happily nods.

*

They first visit the small poultry, there is twins that take cares of it, there’s also a farm.

“The kids thinks they’re just playing around so I let them handle a task that they want.”

“You’re like their leader.”

“No, I’m their older brother, they just obey me because of that. Nothing else.” Minghao explained.

*

After a month Hoshi is accustomed now to the place. But his phone lost its signal. He thought that maybe because a storm would come or maybe it’s just a natural phenomenon. The electricity is good, because they use Solar energy and they also have Generators. The kids can blend in the environment so well. One night Hoshi can’t sleep so he grabs his beanie and jacket to go out of the Mansion for a walk. The moon provided enough light to show him where he should go. Until something shining caught his attention.

There are dust like glitter who’s shimmering along with the wind. It almost looks like stars in the dark. He followed the dust, he saw half Minghao standing in the edge of the cliff facing the sea shore. Glitter dust like was floating around him, what makes Hoshi’s mouth agape was Minghao’s blue butterfly like wings, it’s so beautiful, the dust was coming from his wings. He is facing the sea water eyes closed like he is communicating with it, the brightness of the moon was giving him an effect like a goddess, Minghao is a fairy and not a vampire. Hoshi takes a step backwards but end up stepping in a twig. It makes a breaking sound, Hoshi was frozen. Minghao opens his eyes then turns around to see where the noise came from.

“Hoshi” Minghao’s voice is soft like a whisper then his wings moved then he floats going to Hoshi.

Hoshi can’t utter a word he is stunned, Minghao’s eyes are red and when he spoke Hoshi saw the fangs of a vampire, his skin looks so white and flawless. Hoshi can’t move either especially when Minghao’s face was now levelled to him. Their face few inches away. Minghao now concentrating all his energy to his hand, creating a blue concentrated energy.

“I didn’t know you’d find out too soon, I think your end…“ Minghao was cut off when Hoshi’s hand come to caresses his cheeks.

“You’re so beautiful” Hoshi didn’t know why those words come out of his mouth, he thinks it’s not enough to describe what he is seeing right now. Minghao is so colourful from his kindness when Hoshi first meet him, he thought his kindness is so white and pure. The smile that was given to him by Minghao was also beautiful it was a colour yellow, the brightness was like the sun quiet blinding. Minghao’s soft voice was colour green like forest it was so relaxing. His heart beats so fast that it feels like it would fall out of his chest when he scanned his brain but can’t find the right word to describe the colour of red that is in front of him but Minghao is Blue and Hoshi can’t understand that.

Minghao’s cheeks was covered in a pink hearing those words coming from the stranger that visited them. No one told him he was beautiful. The scientist itself said that he was a beast, he looked straight in Hoshi’s eyes. Not a single glint of lie was there. It makes him flustered. He releases the energy that he concentrated in his hands.

Minghao is slowly coming down. His head low. Now that Minghao is so close Hoshi noticed that although Minghao’s ears are really looks like pointed it is bigger now. And his skin is really thin white and glossy. But there are a lot of questions that running to Hoshi’s mind.

“Why did you lie to me?”

“I’m sorry.” Coming from Minghao.        

“So you’re a fairy and a vampire this entire whole time?” Hoshi asked Minghao nods, still looking down.

“Why you need to hide this?!” Hoshi walks around him “Look at your pretty wings! And this little glitter around them, they’re magnificent.” Then Hoshi stand in front of him he holds Minghao’s chin to look at him. “This is the first time I saw a star this close Minghao”

By that time Minghao’s canine already sink back in and his eyes are now colour of golden brown almost gold. Hoshi’s heart skipped. Their faces are so close with each other.

“Aren’t you mad?” Minghao thought he would cry, does Hoshi trusted him in a short period of time? He could kill him right now if he wanted to.

“Why would I?” Hoshi can’t help but to smile. He just wants to smile at Minghao to assure him that it is okay to open up. But his smile isn’t like any smile he always wear while he is in the Association. A smile that is only for Minghao.

“This island has a great view at night” Minghao said offering him a night tour. But before they could move in their spot. Hoshi removes his beanie and jacket, he made Minghao wear it.

*

They walked pass the big trees going deeper into the woods. Hoshi is silent all time just looking straight to where they’re going, Minghao is confused and he thought the other would hate him for hiding it. He thinks maybe Hoshi isn’t bad as they all think.  When Hoshi came to the island Minghao already see him as enemy. He would kill him anytime. It is there rule in their island. But now he can feel the hesitation. They end up at the falls, they stop for a bit and sit on the rocks. Hoshi lays flat on the big rock. Minghao can’t stop himself from staring at Hoshi.

“Minghao.” Hoshi calls him.

“hmm?”

“I want to tell you a story.” Hoshi is staring at the sky.

“okay?”

“You see, this scientist are crazy. 21 years ago there was a laboratory, they look for all the donors in the world for cells. The project was all about producing a perfect vampire. They kind of made a fetus, a baby out of all the cells.” Hoshi takes a deep breath before looking at Minghao “did you get it?” he asked and Minghao nods “but all of it fails either the fetus is too weak to make it and the other are fighting for their life but the scientist end up giving up on them, saying they’re just a waste of time. But ten babies survived. This babies grow up until they are all five years old, sadly the three of them are becoming weak each year then one day the others didn’t see them. The scientist said they left but the remaining kids knows it. They dispose them.”

“each one of the remaining kids was trained. They teaches them everything they think they needed. Advance technology to psychology and how to control their ability. Sadly each session one was getting heavily injured and was rushed to hospital but never came back, until only two was left. At the age of six this two needs to know the nature of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter