Seven

The Prince Who Never Laughed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸



 

It didn't take very long at all for Jinyoung and Jackson to wrap up their things in the small glassblower’s shop they had grown so fond of and move their business and lives into the castle and the upper district. It took them a couple of weeks to set up shop again, the process slowed down due to the lessons Jackson had to take seven days a week in order to prepare for the fact that if he wanted to stand by Mark's side, he would have to stand in the public eye and scrutiny, and unfortunately so very soon too. This meant that even when they had actually managed to get their shop up and all their tools working, they had almost no time to practice their art or actually keep their shop open, because Jackson had managed to trick Jinyoung into attending all of his princely training lessons with him, and there was simply too little time after those.

Jackson’s ulterior motive had apparently been to have someone with him to try and endure the torture of the boring lessons and compete in doing well in the entirety of his training, so the foreign boy had been sorely disappointed to find that Jinyoung cleared the lessons in etiquette and manners more easily than Jackson did, learning quickly the different noble houses and being able to recite the main produces and amounts of all the districts with just two nights of memorizing. But of course, Jinyoung had the advantage of being from this Kingdom and also being already kind of trained in its manners and matters due to his parents always doing their best to raise him better than they were. That combined with Jinyoung’s inherent grace of someone who could have passed off as a noble if just given the right clothes (and he was, so they tested this on some of the nobles in the court and got them easily to be horribly ashamed of them not knowing who Jinyoung was), made Jinyoung adjust easily into life at court like he had been born into nobility.

But what Jackson lacked in training and natural grace, he made up in perseverance. Jackson complained but he did not give up, staying up until dawn to memorize the coats of arms for each house and continuing on practicing the steps to court dances for hours after the instructor left, determined to get it right. Jinyoung was not really surprised by this, having already known how Jackson put his everything into what the stubborn boy did with no regard for his own health and wellbeing. It was why Jinyoung was there with Jackson although he wouldn't need to be, practicing the dances and studying tax produces and whatever required of the Crown Prince’s fiancé late into the night, so that Jinyoung would be there to make sure his stupid friend ate and slept and stopped just before crashing. Jinyoung went through training unnecessary for him so he could be there to wrap his arm around Jackson's waist to support his friend’s way back to their quarters in godawful hours before dawn.

What Jinyoung found really amazing though was that after hours of training and too few of sleep, Jackson would still be up early in the morning, a bundle of smiles and happiness as he would get to have breakfast with Prince Mark, chatting excitedly about what he had learned like he had not slept just a handful of hours last night, so desperate for the Prince’s approval and praise that he already possessed and got no matter what he did. The Prince’s adoration towards Jackson was painfully obvious, considering that the silver haired Prince looked at Jackson like the foreign boy had single-handedly hung the moon in the sky. But it was all good, since Jackson got some kind of strength from the Prince’s small smiles and melodical laughs that allowed him to push on, working harder and harder to be “worthy” of the silver haired boy and the status Jackson had suddenly been elevated to.

Frankly Jinyoung thought Jackson was kind of crazy and definitely a bit of a masochist, but Jinyoung also knew that the same age boy would follow his heart into mortal danger and never regret it, so the best thing Jinyoung could do as Jackson's best friend was support him, and catch him if he would fall, because there would be no stopping the stubborn idiot. And Jinyoung would do it, even if it made Jinyoung tired and unable to eat in the mornings because he always lost his appetite when he slept too little. Not being able to eat made the slender glassblower grumpy as hell in the mornings, causing him to snap at Jaebum as the guard would try to start a conversation every now and then at the breakfast table he and Jinyoung were seated in.

Suspiciously enough, Jaebum started dropping by their lessons with the excuse that he “needed to make sure the Prince’s fiancé is safe” although Jinyoung and Jackson already had either Yugyeom or Bambam all day watching over them. Jaebum wasn’t even subtle, not with how he more often than not brought some snacks with him as he came to check up on them, his frown only going away after Jinyoung would grab something to eat. It wasn’t that Jaebum would smile or anything, but his expression would somehow morph into this softer, more gentle one, that Jinyoung really, really did not like. That expression spoke of some sort of affection and caring, and Jinyoung did not want to be coddled, or taken care of, or babied, or worried about. He was not used to that sort of a thing, having always been a person who had taken care of themselves, independent and strong and not relying on anyone else, because that would be showing weakness. Jinyoung did not want to depend on anyone else, so he hated himself for getting used to Jaebum dropping by and giving him a snack before his blood sugar would get too low instead of making sure himself that he would have enough snacks with him.

And Jinyoung was not blind, or stupid. The Captain of the Guard would have denied everything regarding him caring about Jinyoung and his well-being, not to even mention anything more beyond worry and simple affection, but Jinyoung knew what the angry expressions and flushed cheeks of Jaebum meant when Jinyoung annoyed the guard on purpose. Jinyoung threw sweet smiles and poisonous words, saying things he did not mean simply because although he knew what Jaebum’s actions signified, Jinyoung did not know how to show his... appreciation... for them, and frankly, Jinyoung was kind of scared because of how much he was enjoying those displays of caring. Conflict and banter were easier than soft glances and the occasional kind word and the warm, fluttery feeling that accompanied them.

So the two of them were dancing around one another, arguing and coming head to head so much that eventually even the sweet but sometimes dense Jackson got worried about his best friend, telling Jinyoung in a most adorable and naive way that he would go tell Jaebum not to bother Jinyoung anymore if Jinyoung wanted him to. Jinyoung ruffled the black mop of his friend’s hair and told Jackson not to think too much if it was that straining, drawing Jackson’s attention away from where Jinyoung did not want it to be the only way Jinyoung knew how; by annoying Jackson enough to make the foreign boy forget the subject of conversation. And it worked. Jackson huffed and pouted, and when Jinyoung told him he was cute, they could only continue their training after Jackson had run after Jinyoung and tackled him onto the floor, blowing raspberries on Jinyoung’s sensitive neck until the leaner boy yielded and told Jackson that the older boy was Very Manly and not at all like a cute and silly puppy (even though he was).

(When Mark told Jackson the foreign boy looked like a puppy drooling after the food served at dinner time, Jinyoung took offense that Jackson seemed pleased with the comment.)

Jaebum continued to come find them even though Jinyoung was sometimes horrible to him, the guard’s jaw set in determination and lips pursed as he completed his self set mission to make sure Jinyoung had enough to eat. But as tough as the guard thought himself to be, he was still the one to quickly look away if Jinyoung flashed him a grateful smile. It was a fun game to play, toying with the older man and his easily flaring temper, and Jinyoung decidedly ignored that his heart felt lighter every time he saw the grumpy guard approach them during their lessons and a clenching in his chest when the glint in Jaebum’s eyes would soften as he regarded an eating Jinyoung.

The problem was that it was fine as long as it was a game, a dance, nothing serious, but developing feelings… It would be no good. Jinyoung was here to support Jackson. He had no time for distractions, no time to go seeking something for himself when he had more important things going on, like looking after Jackson’s well-being.



 

The two month anniversary of Mark’s and Jackson’s forced engagement was the agreed date for Jackson’s proper introduction to the public.

Mark had done his utmost to make the event as easy and unstressful as possible for Jackson, with the minimum amount of court etiquette and other things Jackson would have to learn to make it through the day with dignity, but there was only so much Mark could do. The silver Prince could see the toll the pressure was taking on Jackson, the dark shadows underneath his lover’s eyes and the way Jackson's smile sometimes faltered when he thought no one was looking. Thankfully Mark also noted the way Jinyoung seemed to be always around Jackson with his attentive eyes and steadying hands, making sure Jackson made it through the days when the foreign boy was pushing himself too far and too hard. But whenever Mark tried to breach the subject of perhaps taking a rest to Jackson, his fiancé always dismissed it with bright smiles that he seemed to manage to summon out of nowhere, even when things were tough, so Mark started instead to exchange glances with Jinyoung, getting small nods or quick conversations in turn that confirmed that Jinyoung was doing what he could, and Jackson could still go on. Mark trusted Jinyoung to inform him if an intervention needed to be staged to save Jackson from himself.

Jackson would not allow Mark to watch his progress, but from what he heard from his guards and Jinyoung, the glassblower was outdoing all expectations set by the court. Mark was so proud of him, and sad he could not do more to help his lover.

The moments they got for just the two of them were few and far between due to Jackson’s horribly tight schedule, and more often than not they included Jackson falling asleep in Mark’s lap or his arms. Be that as it may, Mark treasured those moments of comfortable silence, just having the possibility to card his fingers through Jackson’s black hair and kiss his eyelids gently as he allowed his fiancé to catch a few moments of extra rest was precious to him. Jackson was always mad at Mark for not waking him up so that they could have done something fun in the little time together, but Mark took his lover’s pouts and complaints in a stride, distracting the younger boy with gentle smiles and kisses that got both of them flustered and panting, forgetting all the worries and pressures they were carrying inside, even if for just the moment.

When the day of the introduction ceremony finally came, Jackson was a mess of nerves. Mark could overhear him babbling to Jinyoung about how he would probably fall and hit his face while walking up to the balcony they would be making their greeting to the public from, and Jinyoung telling the boy that he would be fine and do well via calm words and the occasional sarcastic quip. Mark’s chest clenched with the desire to be there for Jackson, but he had to rush for the first public appearance he had to make with his father before Jackson would be presented to everyone.

But oh boy, when Mark finally saw Jackson that day right before they were supposed to get up on the balcony to impress everyone, Mark was pretty sure he fell in love with the glassblower all over again. The elaborately decorated blue and silver jacket Jackson was wearing was the perfect complement to match Mark’s silver hair, and Jackson looked perfectly the part of a royal in it, but that was not what made Mark weak. It was the way Jackson looked up from beneath his eyelashes at Mark, nervous for approval, that made Mark pull Jackson into a nook to make out and mess up the hairstyle Bambam had painstakingly done for the black haired boy. Jackson almost had his hands in Mark’s pants by the time Jaebum came to interrupt them, the Captain of the guard looking almost bored threatening them with the mutilation of Jackson if he came onto Mark too fast.

In the end they ended up running away giggling from Jaebum, Mark leading the way once again down the corridors of the castle, until Jaebum managed to get them to stop by telling them they would be late for the announcing of their engagement if they would not stop fooling around like this.

The introduction and announcement went well, the crowd going wild when it was revealed that the Crown Prince was intent on marrying the person who had gotten his first kiss all those months ago. This turn of events apparently fit perfectly the way the legend around his lips had built up, and a fairytale like ending with him ending up together with that person who had gotten his first kiss was what the public wanted. It was a perfect cinderella story of someone rising from poverty into nobility by the virtue of being pure of heart and whatever else they had included as Jackson’s attributes in the story. Really, the story could say whatever, it was not like Mark really cared or minded either way - Jackson and Mark had the public’s approval, and that was what was important, considering how the court was keeping a close eye on them and how they would fare, still eager to find any faults to show that the match Mark insisted on would not be a good one.

Even if there were any small mistakes Mark and Jackson might make, Mark knew time would prove the court and their doubts to be wrong. His and Jackson’s match was the best it could be, and they worked hard to make their lives function together, so they would be fine. Mark felt his love for the glassblower grow every day, and from the way Jackson melted against him or pressed him up against the wall just to kiss his face and tell him how beautiful he was, Mark knew the glassblower felt the same.

After the introduction, things got easier. Instead of waiting Jackson to fail, most of the court started to be supportive of him and the good publicity and morale the kind, hard-working, humble and cheerful foreign common boy could bring as the fiancé of the Crown Prince. Jackson's schedule loosened and Mark could see the tension slowly waning from the line of the younger boy’s body as gained more confidence and was able to spend time on things he truly enjoyed, like his art, and Mark. Mark cherished those hours they stole, sometimes hiding in the maze, sometimes in Mark's royal quarters, exploring both the castle grounds and each other’s bodies, getting to know each other better in every sense they could.

They had always felt comfortable with one another, but over the months spent actually seeing each other every day, Mark became sure he had made the right choice to trust his feelings and his instinct and keep Jackson close even though it had been neither convenient nor easy. Jackson was a wonderful person, and with how well he had taken the training imposed on him Jackson would have made Mark a fine spouse even if Mark wouldn’t be head over heels in love with him, which he was. But even though Mark had been trained to be fine with his words all his life, he still did not find it easy to express with words how overwhelmingly happy he felt when Jackson smiled at him so uninhibitedly when they were lying on the grass in the maze, or when Jackson played with the court kids and thought them fencing with wooden swords, or when Jackson really focused on learning something so he could be with Mark and he got this little crease between his eyebrows that Mark adored.

Mark felt selfish, getting so much of the sunshine of Jackson's smile and the warmth of his love all for himself, especially so because Jackson found it easy to express his feelings of love towards Mark, kissing the older boy on the hand or cheek or lips whenever no one wasn't looking and saying those words in murmurs and whispers when they were standing close, never waiting or expecting for Mark to say them back as the older boy would get flustered, fumbling to try to get a word out. Mark did make an effort to say those words as often as he could, in the first moments of twilight before they would have to part on their way to their own quarters, and sometimes as traced words on the expanse of Jackson's chest whenever they were resting tranquilly against one another, and he hoped that Jackson understood that although the words were rare, they didn't mean Mark loved him any less. Mark was simply overwhelmed by the glow of Jackson, and he was so in love with the other boy that he did not know what to do with himself. That felt ridiculous, but it was true.

They had only known each other for a little less than a year, but then again, Mark had kind of always known that Jackson was the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.



 

Jackson had kind of always known Mark was the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, but then again, they had only known each other for a little less than a year.

There were a lot of things Jackson was uncertain or insecure about, such as his looks and his talent and if he could do a good job as the spouse of someone who would be ruling a kingdom, but there was one thing he was certain of, and that was his love for Mark. Jackson wanted to firmly believe that if he set his mind on it and worked hard, he could be enough for Mark as both the spouse of a Prince and the lover of the most wonderful person he had learned to know. And he thought he was doing a pretty good job so far - he was advancing in his lessons in All The Boring Things a Prince’s Spouse Must Know, and he still got Mark laugh and smile brightly everyday, so he was doing good, right? Jackson was happy and so humbled that he had the chance to enjoy those smiles and laughs, and have the privilege of having Mark look at him like he was something good and precious.

Jinyoung kept telling him that he was good, that he was doing exceptionally well, and that he was thought to be handsome and hardworking and talented all over the Kingdom, but Jackson found that hard to believe. He still appreciated that Jinyoung was there to listen to him whenever he needed to vent and even when Jackson would go overboard by being too dramatic about his faults. Jinyoung was there for him to set Jackson straight when he had calmed down, reminding him that things were not so bad at all, and that he was doing alright.

Jackson didn’t know what he would have done without Jinyoung.

Jinyoung was also the one who got him secret lessons at the upper district silversmith, no questions asked, and Jackson was more grateful than he would probably be ever able to express in words, but Jinyoung seemed to understand.

The ring was pretty much as simple as could be. It was in no means expensive, but Jackson had seen Mark's jewelry collection - there was no way Jackson could afford anything as intricate and valuable, so he had decided that in the end it was more important that he had made the ring by hand than that it would be any match for Mark's collection. Jackson had planned to make a ring of glass - he had made several rings of glass as practice, but glass just was not the right material for this type of a ring, looking more like children's toy rings than a ring worthy of Mark, so the glassblower had come up with the idea of a silver ring that he could decorate with glass instead of gemstones.

It had not been easy. Firstly learning to craft rings from a completely different material than he was used to was not easy at all, but Jackson had time and perseverance, and his teacher was both patient and well paid. Adding the glass elements he wanted was no simple task either, but at least that was familiar ground. It was a simple silver ring with a wide groove that Jackson had filled with a thin layer of glass that he had carefully embedded small glass shapes in. Without the support of the silver the ring could never have preserved itself unbroken, so delicate it was. The ring depicted a small silver white bird flying around on top of a pale and uneven blue background. Jackson had wanted to continue the theme he had started with the glass wren necklace that he had given Mark on that day in front of their old shop all those months ago. Mark still wore the necklace every day, the sight of it making Jackson feel giddy as it was one manifestation of his love for Mark, and Mark thought it so precious.

The glass and silver ring was not really one befitting the Crown Prince of the Kingdom, but it was befitting of Mark and Jackson, and Jackson had decided that was all that mattered.

The thing was… Jackson's plan of telling Mark he wanted to spend eternity with him only went as far as to acquire the ring, and he had no idea how he should proceed after that. He would have just blurted it out whenever, like when they were kissing in a secluded corner in the castle, Mark’s black eyes sparkling as he was looking at Jackson, so close, but that did not feel grand enough. Mark was a fairy tale prince after all - the first proposal had been totally unromantic because it was forced, but it still had had the perfect setting with a wonderful background of the castle walls and the sunset and all. Mark deserved the perfect super romantic proposal fit of everything he was, but the thing was, Jackson had no idea what that should be. He couldn’t exactly ride up the stairs to Mark’s castle with a white horse or anything, he lived in that same castle and he honestly didn’t think he could stay horseback for any fancy dramatic tricks like that. He had no good enough singing voice for serenading and frankly Mark’s balcony was way too high for him to hear if Jackson was singing to him in the garden, and Jackson didn’t know how to play any instruments anyway, and it was either him or Jinyoung who would need to accompany his singing, and Jinyoung was not amenable of the idea that he would have to learn to play an instrument. The only idea that Jackson found acceptable was for him to leave a note for Mark and let him follow a trail of rose petals to some place where Jackson would propose, but the implementation details weren’t exactly simple, considering he would have to bribe or convince the eager maids to not clean up the petals, and telling anyone any hint of his plans would risk everyone in the castle knowing about his plans.

So Jackson carried the ring around with him, safely hidden inside his money pouch, refusing to ask for help on coming up with a good idea for the proposal because it was supposed to be his and if someone came up with the idea, it would be cheating.

But time was not Jackson’s friend, because after a couple of failed attempts at being romantic - just telling the maids not to clean had not helped as the draft inside and the wind outside had ruined the rose petals plan, but at least Jackson had learned the price of Youngjae’s silence (favors, this time buying lunch for a week) - he realised that the date of their first kiss in the throne room was approaching, and Jackson knew it would be the perfect day for a perfect romantic proposal. If Jackson only knew what the perfect romantic proposal would be.

In the end with a little help from Jinyoung, Youngjae and a reluctant Jaebum, Jackson had arranged that the throne room would be devoid of people on the afternoon of their unofficial but kind of still publicly established anniversary date, figuring that he would propose in the same room they had first kissed in. Jackson did his utmost to make everything perfect - he had probably gone over the top getting all the flowers and even a huge blue and white banner saying “Will you marry me, Mark”, but Mark was worth it. He would bring Mark in blindfolded, open his eyes so the silver haired boy would see the banner, and turn around to see Jackson on one knee. 100% perfect and worthy of Mark. Jackson was very proud of himself.

Jackson and Mark had different schedules on the morning of their anniversary, which suited Jackson more than well, as he could oversee and take part in completing the decorations for the throne room, knowing Mark was in a something or other meeting. The lovers had agreed to meet afterwards, and Jackson had planned to lead Mark into the throne room immediately, his nerves getting the best of him, wanting to get this over soon, so he could have Mark’s (hopefully positive) answer and stop feeling so anxious about the whole ordeal.

But when Jackson arrived in front of the meeting room Mark had told him the meeting would be in, it was empty except for one of Mark’s personal guards. It was the tall one, Yugyeom, who looked like he was loitering with how he was not standing in attention, instead leaning against the wall and looking bored as he picked his nails. Jackson coughed in the doorframe, and Yugyeom looked up like he had been expecting Jackson, a friendly smile sliding on his face.

“Hello Jackson.” The closest of Mark's guards addressed Jackson informally per his own request, but according to them only until he had an official title as Mark's spouse, because they would get in trouble. “His Highness asked me to you to the eastern wing.”

Jackson blinked, watching Yugyeom straighten and walk over to him with his unfair kilometers long legs, slipping into his more formal stance now that he was apparently on duty again. “Oh. Really? Did the meeting end early or something? We agreed to meet here.”

“Something like that.” Yugyeom nodded, a smile still on his face although he was now walking partly in front of Jackson in the duty of an guard. The eastern wing was pretty much on the other side of the castle from the throne roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter