o2.

California
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry, we’re not accepting new singer or song writers yet.”

I sighed, reminiscing that one sentences I just received several hours ago from a certain company right after I tried to show them my songs. I’m clutching to my guitar bag’s straps tightly as I’m walking on the busy street of Koreatown although when it’s already 9 PM. My intention is to go back to my apartment after I finished my part-time job, but a honey-like voice could be heard from afar. I lifted my head slowly to see the same guy as several days ago, with his guitar, and he’s singing that one song which makes the time stops for me.

I want to take the star there and give it to your eyes
Give it with my everything inside it

I walk slowly towards the guy and stop my movement when I’m several meters away from where he’s sitting, hiding myself behind a couple who’s listening to the guy’s song.

Sometimes I cry, what if I lose you?
Sometimes I feel you sleeping in my arms

As he starts strumming his guitar a little louder, I can feel the burning passion inside of him. It’s like he has dedicated his life into it, into music. My grip on the straps loosened and my hands fall to the side while my eyes are fixed to his expression, at how he’s enjoying his own performance.

I promise you, on the day of first snow
I promise you, holding your hands as we walk on the day, and shout
I love you may our hands together wouldn't know the flow of time

I know the song. I like the song so much. But with him singing it, I find myself liking the song even more because he plays it with a whole new different feeling. He finished the song perfectly and everybody’s clapping their hands before filling the can with money. I’m still mesmerized with his playing that I didn’t realize the couple in front of me is already gone. I see how he smiles at the pedestrians while mouthing ‘thank you’ numerous times.

And I know, I feel like everything stops when his eyes darted to mine. He’s staring at me as if he’s ready to up the soul out of my body. I blink several times before a passerby bumped my shoulder just enough to bring back my consciousness. I don’t know why I bow at him before turning around to leave him. I can see a slight smile on his lips right when I turn around and my heart beats ten time faster.

Started from that day, I always see him on the street of Koreatown every time I’m walking back to my home from Bourbon Street Café. He always sings Korean songs with his own unique way that succeeded on making me missing my homeland more and more.

“Oh, that guy? Yeah, some of our customers said that we should hire him. Our representative talked to him some time ago, but he refused to join us. He said he likes his state and that he doesn’t want too many people to recognize him. So, yeah.” Said Mr. Kim while wiping the wine glass on his hand. “What about him anyway?” He glanced at me.

“Well, I’m always seeing him on my way back to my apartment and he has a good deep voice.” I bobbed my shoulders.

“And?” I can see the tip of his lips curled up into a playful smirk. “And that he’s handsome?” He wriggles his eyebrows and I laughed at it.

“So what if he’s handsome?” I shake my head while putting my guitar inside its bag.

“Do you like him?”

“Mr. Kim.” I whined, slightly hitting his upper arm and the male chuckled. “I’ll be going home now. Thanks for today.”

“No, thank you for today. Oh, here.” He put down the glass on the high table before rummaging through his pocket before giving me an envelope. “Some customers gave you tips. They said your voice is so calming.” My eyes twinkles as I take the envelope from his hand.

“Oh, my. Thank you!” I chirped, clutching on it happily. “I’ll be going now.” I said, giving him my last bow and he nodded before telling me to go home safely. I can’t keep myself from smiling at the thought of receiving my very first bonus as I put the envelope inside the guitar bag. When I stopped at the bus station, I’m a bit sad that the guy that I want to see is nowhere to be seen.

“Maybe he’s not performing today.” I thought. Right after I went down from the bus, I’m entering an empty hallway as some of the lamps are flickering. I tightened my grip on the bag’s straps before I started walking with fast steps. Right when I’m halfway through it, I can hear someone’s walking behind me. I glanced at my back to see a guy with his hoodie covering his face is walking towards me with a faster pace. I widened my eyes in panicked as I fasten my pace and I can hear how he started running, trying to catch me. I started running when I can see the way out and I still can hear him chasing me.

Suddenly, I see someone entering the hallway from the way out’s direction and I brave myself to shout, “Help me!” I cried. That person lifted his head and he widened his eyes in shock. I keep on running towards him before I hide myself behind his tall figure, peeking at the guy who chased me earlier. He’s already turning back, running to the different direction. The tall man turns his face around to look at me who’s clutching at the fabric on his back while shaking.

“Are you okay?” He asked. I slowly lift my head and I believe my heart beats faster, not just because of I’m shock at the guy who chased me, not just because of I’m running, because they guy right in front of me, is the guy that I wanted to see, the guy who’s always singing on the street. He’s searching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter