001

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

‘Kim Hanbin’ was a name known to practically every student in the school. He was the bad boy type, the thug gangster, the one who had his finger in every controversy the school ever got caught in. Whether it was fighting on or outside school grounds, Hanbin was there. When someone was harassed to the point of transferring, Hanbin’s name arose. How was it that this anarchy was allowed to continue? Perhaps his parents were rich and glossed over all the flawed cracks in their son, maybe it was because he admitted to deeds with such an indifference that it made the school faculty tremor, or was it that penetrating gaze of ‘who is next’ that kept him safe? The rumors about him were atrocious. No one really dared to approach him. He wasn’t exactly friendly.

 

Then again, it may have been none of those and Hanbin was really a child hanging with the wrong crowd; used again and again as the scapegoat to the point where apologising and indifference were necessary and became habitual. Maybe he was a kind soul who was lost and in need of guidance, waiting for the right hand to reach out to him. But then again, who really knew him to begin with? Hanbin was not the type to yammer and run his tongue through a marathon. For the most part he was a quiet kid who stuck by a small group of friends. He could have been anyone.

 

During a break between classes, the students in a particular class were boisterous. As with all classes there were those who studied between periods, those that chattered, and those that just joked around. Among them was Lee Yowon who sat in the seat, in front of the desk, upon which Hanbin usually slept whenever he bothered coming to class. To pass the time, Yowon was revisiting notes from the class that’d ended not really taking in anything. Her attention was elsewhere, being absorbed by gossip coming from a group of girls. She was by no means a gossiper, nor did she find the topic interesting, just that they were loud and easier to listen to than blocking out. The scoop was on 'iKon,' the iconic gang whose popularity was growing. It was rumored that the names of members within that group were hidden. The speculation was hinting at Hanbin being a member.

 

It was usually around here that Yowon lost interest in conversations. Everyone was just too obsessed with Hanbin. They knew nothing of him other than his name yet each time his name cropped up everyone would hold their breaths to listen. To Yowon, Hanbin was nothing but a bully. He didn’t specially choose targets. He targeted everyone. If the school were to ever hand out an award for ‘Equality’ it would go to Hanbin because he was a jerk to just about everybody.

 

Pulling out books for the next lesson she told herself to ‘keep it together.’ She didn’t have the luxury to waste brain space. The pressure to enter university was strong and everyone felt it especially when teacher’s reminded them sternly that they were building the foundations of their future. It was a cyclical lecture; one Yowon received in school, at after school classes and at home. Nowhere was safe. The teacher, who’d just entered, took her place at the desk and began class with the very same string of words.

 

Even with all this tension taxing on their shoulders, there were always students who were lax. One of these was a certain student who sauntered in from the back door and stretching with a complimentary yawn, headed to his seat. Sliding his bag from his shoulder, he fell asleep as soon as his head hit the table. This was a routinely ritual for Kim Hanbin. He had no dreams, aspired for no future in particular, nor did he care about passing high school.

 

At night he worked late shifts and during the day he found sleep to be the most efficient way to save money. As far as school was concerned, he wouldn’t attend if they didn’t constantly call home and bug him with letters. It was his parents who wanted him to have at least a high school degree. Ironic because neither of them had one. What they had was him and at such a young age that even he considered it shameful. And university? Hanbin had a cue of expletives ready for those who thought he would go to one.

 

Using his arm as a pillow, he made himself comfortable and sank off into dreamland. What Hanbin didn't realise was that his fist was poking into someone's back. Yowon grimaced. Scooting forward to relieve herself, she wished Hanbin would just stay home or haunt a dark street corner or whatever he did when he was absent. Having him sit behind her was quite literally a pain with all the heavy rings he wore. Taking a deep breath she thought to ignore him, redirecting her attention back to the teacher who was pairing students for an assignment. She heard her name called alongside an idiot’s and she knew she would be stuck working on her own. Sighing, she reached for her scheduler, marking in the deadline. Turning to him, she found him still asleep, a trail of drool leaking through his mouth. Yowon arched a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter