007

First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanbin didn’t know how to approach the problem. Should he speak with Bobby or Yowon? A part of him wanted to do neither. He was afraid once they learnt what he knew they would kick him to the curb. What if he lost his friend and his girlfriend all in the same day? It was too much for his ego to handle. However taking this into account he could hardly let the two get away with everything. It was safe to say that Hanbin was conflicted.

 

While trying to reason with himself he closed off from the people who were causing him dissonance. How could he maintain his relations with them while knowing everything? It didn’t matter if Yowon messaged him or Bobby rang him, he was ignoring both.

 

They should have known they were doing something wrong. Instead of speaking to him they dropped communication. Hanbin hadn’t calculated for this. It bothered him. Didn’t they care at all? Was it only him who put his all into relationships? Perhaps everything to date had been one-sided. It made sense. It was Hanbin who was supportive of Bobby wanting to become a fencer after the latter had given up on the thug life. Bobby on the other hand had never tried to encourage Hanbin’s recent attempts to raise his grades. Come to think of it, neither had Yowon. They were both indifferent to his success.

 

Hanbin grit his teeth. Why did he work so hard to please people who didn’t care? What was the point? Why did he even want them around? What was he trying to achieve?

 

Enough was enough. It was his birthday. He should be happy on this day. However there were no birthday wishes from either of those people. What had he to show for his investment in them? Not even a crummy ‘smiley face.’

 

Hanbin didn’t want to go to school. He didn’t want to see them happy together. He didn’t want to hate them. He didn’t want to feel insignificant. His eyes stung. The envy and rejection made it hard for him to get out of bed. Just to be sure, he checked his phone. His mother had sent him a string of messages every hour since the start of the day, the school kids had sent in their obligations, there was even a video from the gangsters wishing him another year of happiness, but nothing from those two. Tears leaked from his eyes.

 

He switched off his phone and decided to get ready for school. His thoughts regurgitated to violence. This time however he was changing tactics. He would hurt them in a way that would give them the most pain. Before leaving he made sure to pack a pocket knife.

 

-

 

Hanbin waited for her outside the school gates. Yowon had been avoiding him more and more lately. This time though he would confront her head on even if it meant taking her hand and running away. She was last to leave. There were dark circles under her eyes. She sighed with her whole body. Hanbin couldn’t help but wonder if it was because of Bobby. Maybe the guy had finally grown sick of seeing her presents in his locker and yelled at her. Hanbin grinned at the idea.

 

In her daze, she almost walked past him. Hanbin clutched her arm before she could. She glanced up at him wearily, then recognition sparked in her eyes. “Hanbin, I don’t have time today.”

 

“Do you know that’s the only sentence I hear from you?” He gruffed and tugged on her arm. “Follow me.” She didn’t protest as he lead her back through the gates, across the courtyard, to the back of the school building. They were alone now.

 

Hanbin rounded on her. “Don’t you have anything to say to me?”

 

Yowon frowned. “Say what?”

 

Hanbin clutched his head. “You really did forget didn’t you?”

 

“About what? What are we talking about?”

 

“My birthday!”

 

Yowon’s eyes grew. “That’s today?” She held her head for a second and murmured, “I’m sorry. I completely forgot. Happy birthday.”

 

Hanbin snorted. “Forget it.”

 

“Hanbin, I’m really-”

 

“Just stop! Don’t say ‘sorry.’ I don’t want to hear it. You and him both-- What’s your relationship with him?”

 

Her brows pinched together. “Who?”

 

“Bobby,” Hanbin spat. “Are you guys seeing each other behind my back? Is that it? Just tell me the truth. I need to know. Actually, no, lie if you have to... I’ll believe you. Just say something,” he implored.

 

“We’re just friends.”

 

“Then why? Why the hell are you always with him more than your boyfriend?”

 

“Because… just because.” Yowon bit her lip. “I’m sorry, I-I can’t tell you that.”

 

“Why the hell not?”

 

Yowon clenched her fists. “I’m running late. I should go.”

 

A hollow laugh erupted from him. “Fine, have it your way. Don’t tell me, run away! But it’s the end of us if you don’t tell me what your relationship is with Bobby.”

 

“He’s just a friend, Hanbin.”

 

“You seem closer than that,” he accused.

 

“We’ve known each other for a long time, but I promise we’re just friends. He’s your friend too, why don’t you ask him yourself?”

 

“He’s not answering me, that’s why! That idiot didn’t bother to wish me either.”

 

“You didn’t wish him either,” she reminded.

 

“The hell?”

 

“He’s got a tournament. His flight left early morning. He was sulking you didn’t wish him luck, but I’m sure you’ll get his message once he lands in America. He can’t stay annoyed forever.”

 

“Do you hear yourself?” Hanbin scorned. “You knew about his flight but forgot my birthday. Why don’t you make up a story? Hell, I’m dumb! I’ll believe it.”

 

“I said I was sorry. I’ve just been busy.”

 

Hanbin was close to becoming hysterical. He ripped her phone from her hand and checked her calendar. “You didn’t even record it,” he said dejectedly. “I really mean nothing to you don’t I?”

 

“Give me back my phone!” Yowon exclaimed reaching as high as she could while he held it over her head. He was trying to search for her eyes. She wasn’t even looking at him. Her goal was to get the phone. What was the point?

 

Yowon tried to pull his arm. “I need that.”

 

“Take it then!” He shoved.

 

Just then the knife fell from his pocket. He hurriedly stuffed it back before she could identify it.

 

“Is that what you use to open the lockers.”

 

Bingo. Hanbin cleared his throat. “I do not!”

 

“You know what, it doesn’t matter. I really have to go. I’m getting really late,” she hurried.

 

“Wait!” He clutched her shoulders. “You’re serious right, there’s nothing going on.”

 

“Can we have this conversation another time? I’m in a rush!”

 

Hanbin couldn’t believe her. He’d spent days agonizing over it. Why didn’t she consider that as she left? She didn’t tell him the truth. He knew it all. He tried not to make a pitiful sound. Gritting his teeth he pulled out his own phone. Bobby had a match, she remembered it more than she remembered his birthday. She gave out to him, Hanbin, for not wishing that fool luck. She defended Bobby right in front of him. What more did he need to know?

 

Yowo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter