CHAPTER SIX

Born to be

the wheel of fate

tumblr_m1gu84fMXu1rsv0mzo1_400.jpg

»  tumblr_nngko0vrw31rcpwx1o1_500.gif

The kids of the lady next door had died….again.

12 year old Daera had seen scenes of death almost everyday. Starvation, torture, murder was all very common where she lived. Afterall they were the scum of Shilla, the beggars and poverty stricken. It was extremely cold and with nothing to protect herself with she felt extremely alone in this world. She wished her parents had been around. She only remembered flashes of her parents faces but she knew they had loved her until they were caught by the guards and promptly executed for trying to steal from foreign officials.  Something snuggled next to her providing warmth.

‘Poongyi’ she laughed, excited.

Even though no one cared for her, she never lost hope. Her Poongyi was always there. She saw the poor pitiful creature almost dying on the road when she provided for it and saved it. Her most precious friend, her dog Poongyi. Both of them survived on scraps provided by some of the nobles out of pity. Rain pounded above their heads, making its way through the shallow sparse covering of the trees onto their heads. She was used to these conditions and slowly fell asleep.

The next day the pounding stopped and the suffering started. She had not eaten any proper food for almost 3 days and it was taking its toll on her. She made her way to the market place hoping to steal to fill her belly. The patrol guards made it difficult to try anything. Afterall she valued her life more. If caught stealing the guards would so things much worse to her. Her last resort would be to beg. She settled down on the roadside and spread her clothing, hoping someone would have pity. She was a broken, dirty child but was determined to survive. Afterall she had a goal and to obtain that goal she would have to survive.

A few days passing and Daera would have been ready to do anything to get a small piece of bread. She lay unmoving on the roadside trying her best to continue breathing. She knew if she died, she would lay there a few days rotting  until someone would report the stench and she would be carried away and burnt like paper. She had watched it happen tons of times. Eyes almost closing she felt something fall in front of her. Her eyes snapped open. It was a slice of bread but before Daera could pounce on it something unexpected happened. Poongyi had the piece in her jaws and was proceeding to eat it. Anger pulsed through her and she committed an act she regrets to this day. It was after she had devoured the bread that she looked upon and saw the motionless body of Poongyi, her best friend.

 

It was thundering a few days later and Daera was again amongst the sparse shelter of the trees when the wheels of her fate turned. She was approached by a nobleman who asked to follow him. The ever cautious Daera let down her guard and followed him into the house that would change her fate, enabling her to achieve her goal.

 

tumblr_m1gu5vMEe21rsv0mzo1_400.jpg


Short chapter but it will give you insight on Deara's character.