CHAPTER ONE

Born to be

letter

tumblr_m1gu84fMXu1rsv0mzo1_400.jpg

    fa7bed30fc57488b26d270d06f08a8e9.gif

‘Young lady…………young lady’

The servent ran around the house searching for her mistress.

‘I’m here Byeol. What is the matter?’ a girl of around 16 with exceptional beauty asked.

‘Young lady, the lord has asked for you’ Byeol panted.

‘ I didn’t know he had returned. I shall go see him’ Song Gaya proceeded towards her fathers chambers. She called out for him confident her voice would reach him through the thin papyrus door.

‘Come in’ she could hear her fathers deep, rich voice. Oh how she had missed it. Her father barely used to be at home due to his trade as a merchant. Gaya lightly steps in, sliding the door close and deeply bows to her father.

‘Welcome back father’

‘ How my daughter has grown. You look more and more like your mother everyday’ her father smiles at her, a wistful look in his eyes, no doubt thinking about his late wife.

‘ Where did your travels take you this time, father?’ Gaya asked. She would always be interested in the travel stories her father would tell her.

‘This time it was Yuan but this is not the reason I have called you here Gaya. I have important news.’

Gaya curiously looked at her father and sat straigher.

‘Gaya, the crown prince is finally of age and soon the royal family shall find a bride for him among the noble families. We are to praticipate. You are to participate. What do you think?’

Gaya sighed. She knew this day would come. There were rumours flying around.

‘I shall participate father. I shall bring honour to this family’ Gaya bowed.

After more conversation, Gaya leaves for her room.

In truth she had no wish to participate. She knew that once she participated she would be prodded and poked by the royal family advisors in everywhich  way. But she had to participate. If a letter of participation is send and the person refuses to attend they would be charged of treason, but that would be highly plausible, afterall ever girl dreamd of becoming a princess. All that Gaya could hope for is that her letter never arrived.

The next day she received news of her brother being in the estate. She set down the book she was reading and hoped he would not come meet her but hope is seldom upheld.

‘Little sister, may I enter?’ she heard YunHo’s voice from outside her door.

‘Yes’ Gaya answered knowing what he could have come to talk about, the crown princess selection.

YunHo entered the room and Gaya could not help but wonder how much he had changed. He looked more…polished. She could guess it was because of his recent promotion to state minister.

He sat down and asked exactly what Gaya predicted.

‘Are you participating in the selection?’

She inwardly sighed and answered.

‘My letter hasn’t arrived yet but yes I will’

‘That is just a matter of time. Do not worry. Since you have accepted let’s go get you some new silks.’

‘I do not need new silk. I have plenty’

‘Dearest Gaya you need the finest pieces to catch the attention of the prince. Do you not know against how many you will be competing?’ he seemed to be frustrated.

Gaya knew his scheme, he wanted her to get selected and become Queen so that he may attain an even higher position as the queen’s brother, albeit half. She knew of his nature since she was aware of what all her brother had done in order to achieve his place in the Royal Court.

‘I wish for you to know something brother, I do not want to be selected. I am only participating out of obligation’ she truthfully spoke her mind.

‘Only time will show whether you shall get selected or not, for now let’s just buy some silk’ he seemed to miss her point completely for he had no doubt that his sister’s beauty and poise could not be overlooked even by the prince.

Knowing her brother would not give up, she agreed to accompany him to the shops in search for silk.

Her brother kept asking the shopkeepers for the most expensive fabrics and asking Gaya to choose.

As Gaya was getting increasingly annoyed she noticed a familiar face within the crowds. She rushed towards the girl she considered to be one of her closest confidants.

‘Hyang’ she leaped at the slender girl.

The girl, Hyang seemed surprised to see Gaya and upon instantly recognising Gaya her face broke out into a beautiful smile.

‘What are you doing here?’ Hyang asked.

‘Oh, YunHo orabeoni bought me to buy silk’ she answered.

At the mention of Yunho’s name, Hyang’s cheeks turned progressively pinker. Gaya was well aware of Hyang’s infatuation with her brother and also encouraged it hoping it would cure her brother of his questionable ways. But Hyang never made her feelings known, well aware that her low status as a gisaeng* and his high status as a minister could never be overcomed. She was happy sitting next to him and pouring him alcohol whenever he came to visit Choonhwagwan.**

‘Where were you, you just ran off’ she heard her brother.

‘I met Hyang. I’m sorry I ran off.’

Her brother greeted Hyang.

‘Well I should get going. I have to get ready for visitors’ Hyang politely bowed and started to leave.

‘Wait, I have to meet someone there. I come along with you’ her brother said to Hyang. Turning to Gaya he asked whether she could go home alone. Gaya agreed in a heartbeat and wandered off to her palanquin wondering if her brother harboured feelings for Hyang.

Upon returning home she felt restless as if something was going to take place and sure enough it did.

Byeol rushed into her room, not bothering to knock.

‘Young lady, your letter has arrived.’


Gisaeng - similar to a japanese geisha, an artisan

Choonhwagwan - place where the Gisaengs entertain customers


tumblr_m1gu5vMEe21rsv0mzo1_400.jpg