The Beginning.

I'm (not) With The Band.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I already know the direction we should be taking, we have to continue the theme of youthfulness from our last album but I don't want to repeat the same kind of songs again because that would be boring. We still have to talk about youth but we can do it in a different way our last album was hopeful in a way even though some of the songs seemed sad on the surface, underneath that there was still a feeling of hope and finding happiness in the sad parts of your youth. I think we should focus on the dichotomy of feeling sadness in moments that should seem happy, right?"

There were very few things Adrienne knew about Suga; he was 23 years old, he had about four inches of height on her, he was from a place called Daegu and when he found a subject that he was interested in he talked about it.

A lot.

Adrienne nodded once he finished his speech and the only few words she could actually understand were directed at her, but the blank look in her eyes made it clear that she did not understand any of what he'd just said. Well, that was an exaggeration; there were a few words she did know but there was no way to connect the dots and decipher what he meant when he moved on to the next sentence so quickly.

Yoongi exhaled deeply and buried his face in both of his hands, this was exactly what he feared happening. They had only been in Yoongi's studio working (attempting to) for about four hours but the haggard look on both of their faces made it seem like they hadn't left the room in weeks.  

"You don't understand?" Yoongi asked through his hands.

"I don't understand," she repeated, "You talk a lot."

"How do you expect to make music with me if you can't under-" He stopped himself before he said something harsh and dropped his hands to his lap. Tired eyes looked over at the girl seated next to him and Yoongi honestly wondered how they would make it through the next few months without verbally attacking each other let alone creating a body of work that he could be proud of.

"Maybe you could play me something?" Adrienne asked in an attempt to get them on the same page.

"Fine," Yoongi agreed flatly as he swiveled in his chair and hit play on a song he had already started working on.

"I started working on this a few months ago"

When the song started Adrienne's eyes closed like always did when she really wanted to immerse herself in a song. It was a simple melody, still in the early stages as far as she could tell and even though it was sweet to listen to Adrienne couldn't help but feel that a big part of it was missing. When the melody finished playing Yoongi looked at her expectedly, like Adrienne often looked at her sister when she required her opinion on a song.

Adrienne's thoughts on the piece were a lot more complex than her limited Korean vocabulary allowed her to communicate and she knew saying it in English would get them nowhere since Namjoon wasn't around to translate for her. So instead of struggling through the painful process of trying to explain herself Adrienne replied with the only sentence she could think of that could simply express how she felt.

"I don't like it."

"...What?"

"I'm sorry, Suga. It's cute but it's....boring?" Adrienne nibbled on her bottom lip before speaking again "It's too heavy."

"It's not finished-" Yoongi argued.

"I get that but- um...." Adrienne's mind went blank as she completely forgot how to continue her thought in Korean.

She wanted to say that if the base melody is too simple and heavy then it will make it harder to build something more complex and gentle around it in the long run. She wanted to say that but Andy only heard herself groan with annoyance and lean back deeper in the office chair.

She knew that trying to collaborate with someone she didn't share a language with would be hard but Adrienne never expected problems so early. 

Yoongi rested his elbows on the edge of the console, pressing his thumb against the center of his forehead and closed his eyes together tightly in a small attempt to keep himself together. He had always preferred working alone for reasons just like this, there was no one around to judge his work before he was done with it.

He huffed and gave Adrienne a sideways glance then shrugged his shoulders and scooted forward, "What do you know anyway?"

"I'm sorry?" Adrienne asked incredulously.

"You can't be any older than I am and I've never heard of you before so why should I care if you don't like my music?"

Yoongi spoke slowly and without any energy, he wasn't even looking in Adrienne's direction by the time he was done. Which seemed to be a foolish idea because he may have stopped himself once he saw the agitated expression on Adrienne's face.

"I may not be someone famous with years of experience but I wouldn't be here if I didn't know anything" She replied and pushed herself backward from the desk.

"Okay but-"

"Don't interrupt me," Andy said swiftly, holding her index finger out to her co-producer as she stood up.

"I have been making music since I've known what music is so if I say I don't like something you should take that into consideration instead of becoming defensive like a child."  

She was speaking in a mixture of English and Korean at this point but Adrienne really didn't care if she understood her or not. All she wanted right now was to be away from Yoongi who looked like he was going to respond. Before he got the chance to Adrienne spun on her heels and headed for the door, keeping her neck stiff as she heard it slam behind her.

Adrienne was halfway down the hall and still fuming when she heard a screeching voice call her name from behind.

It was Namjoon, he was sweating and nearly out of breath for reasons Adrienne didn't really care to ask about but he still managed to smile and ask if she was alright after jogging closer to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter