Chaotic feelings that come to an end

English SOS

Finally! I'm done. I know Minhyun and Ren are the same age as Joshua and the 95line of seventeen but in this case I decided to make them slightly older so yea. Take a read, comment, vote, etc etc. I hope you like it.


Joshua texted Aron that Thursday night, but the other LA native replied saying he was busy for the next few days but they could talk on Saturday when he had his next shift at the café. Short of asking one of his other friends, Joshua would just have to wait.

He thought long and hard about what happened and concluded that he maybe did have a minor crush on Jeonghan. The other boy was lively and attractive. Shallow as it was, Joshua wasn’t going to lie to himself about Jeonghan’s handsome looks. Despite coming to this conclusion, he knew that it could go nowhere. Joshua adamant about going back to California for school, didn’t need to get involved with someone. That would only lead to heartache and tears. He needed to squash the minor crush down to nothing. He had too. Jeonghan probably didn’t even like him that anyhow. A crush was a crush, nothing more.


Saturday morning woke him up bright and early. The birds chirped away as normal, he could make out the tiny sounds of his parents shuffling around in the kitchen, and he laid in bed panicking a little. The two started their weekend tutoring sessions today. It meant more time with Jeonghan, teaching him, and having to see him. The situation would exacerbate the minor crush. He would have to tread carefully.

He grabbed his customary café uniform that consisted of a white button up, black slacks, and his vest.  Joshua glanced down at the floor eyes wandering to find the bag of English for dummies info. It would have to come with him for the next two days. Getting Jeonghan prepped for his next English test definitely required some work. Both boys would have to put in more time and Jeonghan was hopefully spending more time at home studying English. Otherwise the long haired one wouldn’t be playing in the upcoming games like he wanted. That would do neither of them any good, because Joshua would be out of his letters of rec and Jeonghan would still be benched. Then he would have to spend even more time with him.

Joshua grabbed the bag and said his goodbyes to his parents after breakfast was over. His mom would be in and out of meetings and phone calls to stock up on supplies and for upcoming events that would have the café shut down to the public. He considered himself lucky; his mom wouldn’t overhear his conversation with Aron later. Both of them would be working the register and making coffee for a bit, giving him ample time to ask for his opinion on this minor crush. Every time he thought of it though he blushed. It embarrassed the crap out of him. He’d never been infatuated with anybody, and now to get butterflies in his stomach over a guy, while he had plans that didn’t involve being in the same country within a year or two. Joshua couldn’t see how this would end well.


Arriving at the café he waved to Aron and Minhyun manning the front counter. He said his hellos to the rest of the staff on his way to his mom’s office. Taking out his keyring from his pocket he unlocked the door and carefully placed his guitar case in the corner near the bookshelf. Joshua dropped the bag of books near the case, and took off his jacket to deposit it on the back of the small couch that was situated against the wall. He walked out and locked the door once more, placing the keys back in his pocket.

Back in the front counter, he took an apron off the hook and grabbed his name pin from the bucket and fixed it to his apron. He watched as Aron and Minhyun finished up with a customer’s order, thinking on how he was going to approach the subject. Best get over with it and just blurt it out he thought. The two turned back to him, giving him a slap on the back.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Aron said, eyes questioning.

Minhyun eyes widened and said, “Ooh, something interesting going on in your life now Joshua?”

He blushed, “Nothing that interesting ok. I just needed some clarification.”

“I’m hurt. I thought we were close Joshua.” Minhyun said, miming being shot in the heart, exaggerating his pain.

Joshua shook his head, with a small smile. “We are. I just needed someone who would tell me the truth straight up without sugarcoating anything.”

“You mean bluntly, without concern for people’s feelings?” He said pointing to Aron with a smile on his face. “That’s Aron to a T.” he said teasing smirk playing on his face.

“Hey,” Aron said giving Minhyun a side eye glare, “Josh, meant a person who tells it as it is.”

“Whatever you say hyung.” Minhyun singsonged, a playful glint in his eyes.

Joshua laughed. He needed this off his mind so clearing his throat, the words tumbled out his mouth, “I think I have a crush on someone.” His lips pressed together and could feel his shoulders hunch in. “I mean I’m not sure but it kind of feels like a crush feels. I never had one before and it’s just weird and I can’t be having one now.” He rambled, shoulders tense under their scrutinizing looks.

Minhyun and Aron looked at each other, lips twitching. Simultaneously they said, “You’ve never— “They looked at each other again, gesturing for one to begin.

Taking the lead, Minhyun asked kindly, “You’ve never had a crush on someone before? Like never?”

Joshua nodded in confirmation. “How can you know that you have a crush on them then?” Aron pointed out.

“I blush when they get close. Those butterflies in the stomach thing? I have that feeling when I think about them and when I keep thinking about what happened the other day.” With each sentence, his voice rose and the words rushed out. Incredulously he said, “I blushed over how close he was! Blushed!” realizing too late he outed the gender of his crush. Joshua’s cheeks pinked and he turned to look at the side.

“A guy?” They blurted. Peeking at them, Joshua saw their wide eyes and slack jaws. He nodded lightly in confirmation.

“I didn’t see this coming.” Minhyun said. Aron nodded.

“Well it’s not the end of the world. Liking a guy doesn’t make you different in our eyes.” Aron stated, clapping him on the back in comfort.

“That’s not what I’m worried about though. I could care less about his gender right now. I want to know if it is a crush and how do I make it go away.” Joshua said, voice laced with fear.

Placing his hands on his shoulders, Aron said lightly, “Hey, calm down. Why do you want to make it go away? Having a crush is someone is very normal.”

“Yea. There’s nothing bad about having one.”

Shrugging off Aron’s hands, Joshua gave a small glare to the both of them. “Yes, there is. Especially since I don’t have plans to stay here in Korea past another year. I don’t want to get any closer to him than I already am. What if I happen to keep falling for him? What if I want to pursue a relationship? It wouldn’t be good. I’m not changing my plans. Not over something that may not last.” He let out a huge breath, his cheeks pink from exertion of spewing all these words out. His head drooped, “What am I even saying? He might not even like me back.” Joshua wanted the world to open a hole and just swallow him up at this point, this was embarrassing and he hated having to ask for help. “I just want these feelings to stop.”

Minhyun patted him on the head, trying to comfort him.

Aron said, “So this guy…is he a looker?” with a teasing lilt to his voice. Joshua looked at him bewildered.

Minhyun picked up on that train of thought and said, “Is he handsome or more of the pretty type? Is he your type? Do you even have one?” His voice full of mirth as he continued.

“Wha-at?” He sputtered. Switching between the two of them he looked at them eyes wide.

“Does your crush look hot? To you at least? Who is he? A classmate?” Minhyun asked, his eyes looking like they had sparkles dancing within.

Aron snapped his fingers. “That kid you’re tutoring in English! The one you complained about the other day when you dropped by to grab a drink on your way home.” He his chin pausing, ”Hey, didn’t you say he spaced out sometimes…. maybe it’s because he’s too busy looking at you.”

“Probably awestruck by your big, sparkly eyes, and your cute smile.” Minhyun said, poking at Joshua’s cheek.

“True.” Aron added, slinging his arm around Minhyun with a wide grin.

Joshua looked at them incredulously. “Did you two drink some drugged coffee this morning or something?”

They laughed, clutching at each other to keep from falling. “No. But I’m pretty sure half of the stuff the kid you’re tutoring did was because he was too in to you. Spacing out. I think you mentioned it that it was nice that he was actually paying attention. Well…I would too if my tutor was hot.” Aron stated smiling slyly.

“Right. I remember when I went to cram school and the teacher was really pretty. I paid extra attention.” Minhyun mentioned.

“Oh my gosh you two! He probably doesn’t even like me back. What on earth are you guys on?” Joshua asked, confusion etched on his face.

“May not like you back? Have you seen yourself?”

“Or the customers who come back to see you? You’re quite the looker. We have some regulars just because you work here on the weekends. It’s not even just the way you look too. You’re so polite it’s ridiculous. You’re almost like the poster child for perfect son-in-law material.”

“it’s probably his obliviousness, Minyun. You know stuff like flirting goes over his head. He’s innocent. Like a lamb. That’s why he doesn’t know when the wolves are out for him.”

“True. He didn’t notice last week, that one guy was hitting on him. Or one of his regulars blushed when he asked if she wanted her normal order.”

“You two are nuts. And making my head hurt.” Joshua groaned. “You didn’t even answer my question either.”

“Given what you just told us. Yea you have a crush on him. And he most likely has one on you too. You know, in case you were wondering.”

“I wasn’t wondering. Thanks for the info anyhow.” He replied sarcastically.

“There’s that sass. Some of your regulars like it you know?” Minhyun mentioned.

“I could’ve lived my life without knowing that.” Joshua replied pulling a face. “Ugh. Enough get back in the kitchen Aron. You’re not supposed to be out here anyhow.”

“I see. It’s like that huh. When I’m done being useful I’m banished.” Aron teased. Joshua stuck out his tongue at him. The older man laughed and walked through the doors into the kitchen.

“Not one more word out of you Minhyun. Please.” He stressed.

Minhyun chuckled. “I’m off soon anyway. Aron can tell me if anything juicy happens.” Joshua hung his head and sighed.


Joshua and Minhyun worked the counter until the lunch rush was over and Minhyun clocked off. As he hung up his apron, he ruffled Joshua’s hair and said, “Keep me updated on what happens.” Joshua scoffed.

Joshua manned the front as customers dwindled and the time ticked closer to 2pm. As he called out the name of one last drink, he heard the jingle that signaled another customer. Joshua raised his head and let out a loud welcome. Jeonghan walked in. He was dressed casually but he looked good, which was annoying. He wanted the crush to die not grow when he saw the guy. He waited as the blond walked up to the counter.

“Hey.” Joshua said with a smile. “Let me get someone to man the register really quick and we can get started.” He turned and walked into the kitchen calling out in English, “Aron! I need you at the register please.”

“Ooh.” He replied back in English as he walked to Joshua. Nudging him lightly, “Is the kid here?”

“Shush. Yes, he is. And before you say anything, I needed to add more tutoring hours.” Joshua flatly stated.

“Ok, ok. I get it. It’s not for spending more time with him.” Aron teased.

“It isn’t.” He huffed. “Now come on. He’s waiting. I’m going to be upstairs if you need anything.”

“Don’t need to get your stuff?”

“I set up earlier when I went on break.”

A few minutes later, they walked out. Joshua took off his apron and hung it up on a hook on the wall. He ignored Aron’s stares.

“I got the register Josh,” he said.

“Thanks Aron.” He said with a smile. The two of them bumped fists, and did their secret handshake. Even when Joshua could tell Aron was giddy with finally seeing Jeonghan in the flesh and wanting to tease Joshua some more.

Walking to Jeonghan, Joshua pointed to the stairway and stated, “Let’s go upstairs. We can work up there.”

Jeonghan followed him as Joshua led the way. He asked, “Is it ok for you to leave your job like that?”

Joshua laughed. “Oh. It’s not really a job. This place is owned by my mom. I come here and help out on the weekends and to spend time with her,” he explained as they climbed the stairs.

“That must keep you busy then. With your club, tutoring me, and then your weekends being occupied by me too now.”

“Well, the tutoring is only temporary. After you get back on track with the material and understand how to not fall into the same mistakes as before the tutoring is pretty much done and over. Then I have more free time again.” Joshua mused as he led them both to a table heavy with books and papers. Free time to stop the rushing feelings of infatuation with Jeonghan.

The other boy fell silent. “Jeonghan. Hey, calling Yoon Jeonghan. Anyone in there?” Jeonghan jerked back into reality. Joshua laughed, “Head got lost in the clouds again?” Aron’s words popped up in his head, ‘He’s probably too busy staring at you.

“Nah. Just thinking about some things.”

Shaking his head, Joshua sat down and gestured towards the other bench for Jeonghan to sit. Opening a folder, Joshua took out practice worksheets. Handing them to Jeonghan he said, “Let’s get started.”


After an hour of learning and going over pronunciation, Aron approached their table with a wide grin on his face. “Joshua, it’s time for the weekend song jam.”

Joshua looked down at his watch. “You’re right. Crap.” He blushed, looking up to Jeonghan he said, “Umm so I forgot to tell you every weekend I play a few songs at the café. It’ll only take me like fifteen minutes. I’ll be back. Get some coffee. It’s on me.”

He gave his friend a small glare in warning to not say anything unnecessary while he was gone. Aron just smiled back smugly. With that he ran down the stairs. He jogged the rest of the way to his mom’s office and grabbed his guitar, locking the door behind him. The faster he performed the less likely Aron had a chance to say something to Jeonghan.

Joshua started setting up the mics he needed, quietly saying hello to the café’s regulars who were in his proximity. He settled himself on a stool with his guitar in his arms. After his customary message to those who were in the audience, he strummed the first few chords of one his most practiced songs and opened his mouth and sang. He let the words flow out softly, like honey drizzled on dessert. Joshua finished the song up as normal with a shy smile on his face and a small nod. Moving onto the next song announcing that he had learned something new for once, which the regulars gave a little chuckle because they knew his regular set by now even if he changed up the mix of songs frequently. Rubbing his hands on his slacks, he flashed a quick smile and began. G-Dragon and TOP’s baby goodnight filled the café on the first floor.

Joshua finished the song with a last strum of his guitar. Smiling at the audience and the applause, he bowed. he looked around smiling at the regulars and the new customers, until he felt eyes bore into him. Jeonghan stared at him in awe it seemed. Joshua looked away in embarrassment. Aron’s words echoed in his mind; he felt the tell-tale sign of blood rushing to his cheeks.

Joshua walked off the small stage and approached Jeonghan cautiously with his guitar in hand. “You watched?” He asked, looking at Jeonghan, his eyes slightly downcast.

He heard Jeonghan clear his throat, and he replied, “Yeah. Your voice is pretty.”

Joshua smiled. It was one thing to hear that he sounded good from the regulars, friends, and even his family; but hearing it from someone that he had on a crush on felt different.

“Did you get something to drink while you down here?” he asked.

Jeonghan opened his mouth but he was beat by Aron. “He ordered two iced Americanos. He even paid for them, one for you and one for him.”

“You didn’t have to do that. I told you it was on me.” He said looking at Jeonghan in dismay.

“He insisted Josh. Isn’t he a nice guy?” Aron said with a smile on his face. Joshua looked at Aron, suspicious at his super friendly manner, wondering if he said anything funny to Jeonghan while he sang.

“Thanks, Jeonghan. Can you bring them to up when they’re done Aron?” Aron nodded. “Let’s get back to work then. Just let me put my guitar away. I’ll be up in a minute.” The black haired boy walked off back to his mom’s office. He snuck a glance behind him and noticed that Aron and Jeonghan were talking. Joshua made a mental note to ask Aron what he spilled to the blond.


Playing with the piano in the music room he wondered how Jeonghan had done on the first test after all their tutoring. Joshua remembered that Jeonghan had been nervous and wanted to spend a lot of time going over all the material. The day of the test he came to their study room looking dazed; tired and dazed, but a smile on his face. When he asked how he had done, the blond smiled at Joshua like he saved the blonde’s life. Time passed so the test would have to be passed back soon enough. He hoped that every little bit of time they spent studying proved to be fruitful.

Lightly tapping on the keys, he hummed an old song getting lost in the sound until he heard the door bang open. He turned and saw the boy who occupied his thoughts on a regular basis.

“Jeonghan! What are you doing here?” He asked in surprise.

He whipped out his test and said, “Look at the score.” Jeonghan vibrated with excitement. The smile on his face wide with happiness.

Joshua looked down at the paper. His face formed a huge grin. “You did it! An A! Keep this up and you’ll be playing at the official games next month.” Joshua smiled back at him, lips pulled into a wide grin. He felt himself being lifted all of the sudden. Startled Joshua grabbed onto Jeonghan as the blond spun him around. Despite being a basketball player, Jeonghan’s apparently arms weren’t that strong; as they both ended up on the floor, with Jeonghan’s head meeting the linoleum. He felt the other’s boy heartbeat beneath his hand and he tried to get up, but Jeonghan still had him in his arms. Worried Joshua cried out, “Oh my gosh! Are you ok? Jeonghan?”

Jeonghan groaned. He let out a peal of laughter. “I’m fine. I got a little too excited.”

Getting off of Jeonghan, he stood up and laughed. Giving him a hand up, Joshua said, “I can tell. I haven’t been lifted like that since I was a little kid.” He decided he might as well ask if Jeonghan wanted to eat with him. Even if he wanted the crush to go away, somehow he still wanted to spend time with the other boy. So Joshua asked with an impish smile, “Since you’re already here, want to eat lunch with me?” The blond nodded enthusiastically.

They spent the rest of lunch talking and eating the lunch that Joshua’s mom packed for him. Joshua rambled on about his love of music when Jeonghan’s finger came into view. Shocked he froze while Jeonghan raised his finger and swiped something onto his thumb. Joshua eyes widened, blinking slowly at Jeonghan. The blond a rice piece off his thumb, while Joshua sat stock still completely surprised. Jeonghan opened his mouth, only to get interrupted.

Bursting into the room Seungkwan shouted, “Joshua hyung! You won’t believe it!”

 Followed Vernon, “Boo! For god sakes don’t go screaming into the room, you know Joshua sleeps here sometimes.”

He could feel his cheeks warm, ‘Why was he constantly blushing these days?’. Turning around, Joshua gave a small giggle. “What’s up Seungkwan? Vernon, it’s ok. You of all people should know Seungkwan’s habits by now.”

“You heard Joshua hyung, Vernon. It’s fine. Anyway before I was rudely interrupted,” giving Vernon a dirty look, “We passed the semi-finals for the summer festival we participated in! We’re in the finals! Cash prizes and a trophy could be ours hyung! Jihoon wants us to come up with a new set list for the competition and have more practices.” 

“That’s great! We can always practice at Mansae. Mom doesn’t mind and I think the customers actually like hearing us all the time. Ah, but on the weekends it’ll have to wait until I finish tutoring Jeonghan.” He said, running a finger over his lip musingly. Passing the semi-finals meant more work, but it also meant more time away from his confusing thoughts of I like Jeonghan but I want it to stop.

At that, both underclassmen swerved their eyes Jeonghan’s way. Seungkwan gave a sly smile. Vernon just looked at Jeonghan funny. “So you’re the person who’s been taking up all of Joshua’s time. Nice to meet you Jeonghan-hyung. How’s the tutoring going?” Seungkwan said.

“Nice to meet you too. Tutoring is going pretty good so far. Hopefully within a few months I can return Joshua to the music club full time.” Hearing that the smile on Joshua’s face disappeared. He felt a small pang in his heart. He knew realistically any relationship that he started would end when he went back to the states, yet he still felt sad over the idea of not seeing Jeonghan anymore even for tutoring. Joshua needed to grab a hold on his feelings before they spiraled out of control.

 The blond turned to the half foreign looking boy and asked, “And you’re in music club too I’m assuming?”

“Only when they need some rapping. Otherwise I’m just a spectator.” The boy said with a shrug. Just as Seungkwan was going to ask more questions. Joshua cleared his throat. He interrupted their grilling by pointing out the time and how they should be going towards class unless they wanted to be late.

Outside his room, Joshua said to Jeonghan, “It was nice eating lunch with you. Congratulations again on that A.”

“The only reason I got that A was thanks to you.” He said rubbing his hand over his head in an embarrassed manner.

Joshua shook his head and turned to enter his class, but he turned around and said, “I’ll see you tomorrow Jeonghan.”


The first test came and went, followed by a series of quizzes and homework assignments. As the first game for the basketball team got closer and closer, Jeonghan got more and more jittery. Joshua saw as he would shake his leg, have his attention wander, and the corner of his eyes pinch from the fluorescent lighting due to the lack of sleep. Once Jeonghan received the confirmation he could play in the game, the little signs of stress disappeared.

Two days before the first official game, they had another session. Joshua waited for Jeonghan to sit before he began the day’s tutoring material. they spent the next two hours going over the material. As Joshua put away his teaching materials, Jeonghan pulled out a ticket and slid it towards Joshua. “If you have time tomorrow, here’s a ticket for the first official basketball game,” he said with an eager smile on his lips.

Joshua’s slight smile fell, taking on a sorrowful expression. “I’m sorry Jeonghan. I don’t think I’ll be able too. The music club is having the final part of the competition tomorrow. I have no idea of when it’ll end. I don’t think I’ll have time to go your first game.” Which was true and not true, he knew what time the club performed, but didn’t know when they were going to be done.

“Ah…” pushing the ticket towards Joshua still, “Take it anyway. You never know.” He said. At that point he walked out of the room in a hurry. Joshua stared at his back as he hurried away. Sighing he looked at the ticket and wondered what he would do.


Joshua tried to not think about what had gone down that Tuesday. But memories kept popping up in his head at the most random times; when he was cooking his dinner, while he was doing his homework, even during music club practice. He was so distracted that he didn’t notice Seungkwan making pointing gestures at Jihoon who was walking his way until Jihoon bore down at him.  He flared his nostrils and glared down at Joshua in all his 164 cm glory, even though Joshua was a good 14 cm taller than Jihoon.

“Joshua hyung,” voice edged with annoyance, “Did you hear anything I said in the last 10 minutes?”

He lowered his head, pushed back into his seat, and shook his head. Jihoon let out a gust of air and a minor growl. “Seungkwan! Get him up to speed. And stop dozing off hyung, the competition is tomorrow! We need you at your best.”

He nodded meekly, knowing he was in the wrong this time. He let his mind wander over Jeonghan. He needed help. He had to go back to talk to Aron and Minhyun; Joshua hoped they knocked some sense into him.


He dropped by the café this time for a needed talk. He was confused about what to do. Joshua knew two things: he liked Jeonghan, and that he wanted to stop liking him but at the same time he didn’t. Both were contradicting each other, but a crush that never came to fruition would die. He half hoped for that to happen and half hoped it wouldn’t. Joshua needed some advice, and a push in the right direction, whichever it might be.

“So, you sounded really desperate on the phone earlier. What’s up? Something big happen with your crush?” Minhyun said, as he pushed a latte towards Joshua.

Taking a sip, as calmly as he could, Joshua asked, “First, why is Minki sitting next to you when he should be behind the register? And where’s Aron?”

“I heard about your problem and I couldn’t help but come here to help our little Joshie figure things out. Your first crush! Someone caught your eye. I’m so proud.”

Giving Minki a dirty look he said dryly, “You’re not my mom. Is Aron taking your place at the register?”

“No, he called in sick. He caught the stomach flu from his roommate. He said to tell you sorry he couldn’t be here to help you in your inner turmoil.” Minhyun reported with a cheeky grin. “So what’s the problem?”

“Jeonghan asked me to go to the first official basketball game, but I don’t know if I’ll be done with the competition in time tomorrow and I’m not even sure if I would go even if I finished early. I kind of want to go, but at the same time I don’t.” Every single time he talked about Jeonghan and his problems about this crush, he just rambled and spilled everything like water on the floor. It embarrassed him.

“So he essentially asked you to see him play, since Aron told me he’s a basketball player, but you might be busy. On the other hand, if you finish early you’re not sure if you want to go. Is that right?” Minhyun asked.

Joshua nodded, taking another sip of his latte to try and calm himself down.

“What’s the problem though?” Minki said. “You like him. Isn’t that reason enough to go if you finish early?”

“I have plans after next year to go back to California. I don’t need a relationship complicating things. I don’t want this crush to grow bigger. If I see him play it will. It’s like if I see him at all it grows.” He said with a pout.

“But you like him. Don’t you want to see where it could go?” Minhyun asked.

“He could be your first love Shua!” Minki exclaimed smiling.

Hand folding into a fist, he said in a small voice, “And if I fall in love and my plans don’t change and he doesn’t want a long distance relationship nor does he want to follow me, what do I do then?” Joshua looked at them, eyes glittering, “It’s gambling with my heart and I don’t know if I’m ready for that.”

Minhyun grabbed his fist and carefully unfolded it, seeing the half crescent marks he made in his palm. He tsked and said, “It’s scary, I know. But sometimes you have to take the risk and plunge in. Otherwise you’re not living life to the fullest and you’ll always regret not having tried.” Holding Joshua’s hand and giving his head a few pats, “Regret is an ugly emotion. It haunts you for a long time.” He said with a brittle smile.

“Life is all about taking risks and seeing where you end up. He could be your happy ending Shua. If he’s not, then it’s not the end of the world. You just have to pick up your pieces and start again. We’ll be here to help.” Minki said, moving over to give him a half hug.

“I’ll think about.” Joshua said, looking at his cup.


The day of the competition he still hadn’t decided. It scared him. The possibilities that could happen. He wasn’t ready, so he pushed the game out of his head and they went upstage to perform. They did their set list, bowed, and walked back down to wait for the other contestants to finish.

As the club prepared for to go on stage for the announcements of the winners, Seungkwan sidled up to him and asked, “Are you going to the basketball game after this hyung?”

Baffled Joshua looked at him and asked, “How do you know about that?”

“I have my sources. So are you going to go? He asked you right? That means he’s interested in you.”

“I don’t know Seungkwan.” He said shrugging off the younger boy’s hand.

“He’s the reason you were so distracted during practice the other day. I think you should go and confront it head on.”

“I’m not you Seungkwan. I can’t do that.”

“No, but you’re always so sure of what you want hyung. It’s admirable. You almost never waver in your decisions and in life. Where’s that guy now?” He asked, eyes serious.

Joshua shook his head. “I’m not sure this time. I seriously don’t know.” As he opened his mouth to say something else, the stage coordinator told them to get back on stage for the winner announcements. Walking up the stairs to the stage, he kept going back and forth between go, don’t go, go, don’t go.

As the MC started to announce the third place winner, Minhyun’s words echoed in his head, ‘Regret is an ugly emotion. It haunts you for a long time.’ And it was true. He regretted coming to Korea with his parents but he was here making the best of it. He made some close friends by trying out for the music club instead of being too afraid to try and audition. Joshua was sure he’d regret it if he didn’t join the club. He met he guys at the café, and he even met Jeonghan. he regretted that, yet he knew if he hadn’t decided to tutor him his life would have less memorable moments. As he wavered between going and not going, he heard his fellow club members roar and scream around him. Looking around confused, Seungkwan grabbed onto him sobbing, “We won! We won!”

“We won…oh my gosh we won!” He screamed as he patted Seungkwan on the back. As Jihoon collected their trophy and the other members held up the large check, he smiled so large that his jaw hurt. In that moment he decided to go. If he hadn’t tried out for the music club, he wouldn’t have been here celebrating with people who made his life colorful, more meaningful. Joshua would hurdle into the unknown and hoped for the best. Regret was ugly and he didn’t want any more ugliness in his life.


Joshua rushed back to school, hoping he’d make at least half of the game. As he neared the gym, he slowed down and caught his breath. He walked past the empty table where people checked tickets and quietly went in the open doors and let out a sigh of relief as the game was still going. Walking towards the bleachers, he glanced at the players’ bench and saw Jeonghan. He smiled.

He went up the bleachers stopping when he felt eyes on his back. Joshua turned and saw Jeonghan looking at him. He waved and cracked a grin as Jeonghan waved back. Settling down he looked on as players were switched out and Jeonghan went onto the court.  

Twenty minutes later the buzzer rang. The basketball team scored ten points over the challenging team. He clapped and cheered along with the other spectators as the team did their customary bows and handshakes with their opponents.

Jeonghan ran towards the bleachers where he Joshua sat. Breathing rather heavily he said, “Stay right here ok? I’ll be back out quick. I have something to say to you.”

“Sure.” Joshua said bemused and half scared at Jeonghan’s words. He waited as Jeonghan ran to the locker room to change and grab his stuff.  

Joshua sat there wondering what the other guy wanted to say. Stuck in his thoughts he was abruptly pulled out when Jeonghan called out, “Hey.”

The black haired boy laughed. “Hi.”

“So uh… I wanted to ask you… if you…”

“Hmmm.” Joshua inquired, tamping down on the bubbling anxiety.

Jeonghan bit his lip and blurted out, “I wanted to ask you if you would go on a date with me.” His voice echoed through the empty gym.

Joshua blushed. What did he do now? He took the dive to get here, dare he take the dive to go out with him.

Grinning down at Jeonghan from his higher vantage point he replied, “Ok.” Letting out a huge breath.

 Jeonghan smiled in relief. Joshua made his way down the bleachers and towards him. “Ok, I’ll go on a date with you.” He couldn’t believe he was going to do this but, Joshua leaned into his personal space and gave Jeonghan a small kiss on the side of his mouth. Jeonghan blushed and grinned at Joshua wildly, his eyes filled with triumph.

It made Joshua smile, letting the anxiety leave him he said sassily, “You could’ve asked sooner though you know? I would’ve said yes.” Which wasn’t a complete lie, he probably only would’ve said yes in surprise, but best not let Jeonghan know that.

He grabbed Joshua’s hand, laced their fingers together, and kissed his forehead. Chuckling at him, Jeonghan held tight onto Joshua’s hand as he led them out the gym doors. Joshua hoped that taking this gamble wouldn’t hurt him too much.


I have no plans for now to continue writing in this verse, however I have some floating ideas on a sequel that'll be seeped in angst. But for now I have no immediate plans to write it. I'm going to focus on my new story Secrets in the Shadows. Shameless plug here but I set up a writing tumblr where you can pester me and send me requests, and where'll I'll post short drabbles that don't fit anywhere and any future timestamps of my stories there first. So far it's only filled with writing references, complaining and one drabble. But check it out if you want. liestotheheart.tumblr.com