Another tutorting gig

English SOS

Whoooo! The companion fic is coming out sooner than I thought. Hope you all enjoy it. I'm aiming for more of less the same lenghth as English for Dummies. So another 3 parter. Read on and enjoy. Please comment with love or with critique if you want. Till the next part.


Looking down at his Korean textbooks, Joshua wondered for the umpteenth time why his parents decided to come back to their home country. He knew it was because his Dad was transferred back to the Korean branch to train new personnel for different branches, before he would be moved back to the American branch. But he didn’t see the point of having to move him as well. Joshua didn’t mind the school. He minded the changes. The abrupt changes that happened to his life. He was forced to roll with punches and some days he still hated it. Once his father was done training the new workers for the office he managed they’d be able to go back to California. But who knew when that would happen. He could be spending the rest of his high school career here. Maybe even college. As much as he loved his mom, he didn’t think he could deal with going to university here unless something worth it came along. Which he highly doubted. He missed the California sun, the constant warmth, and the atmosphere of Southern California. He’d be back in California going to college even if he had to fight his mom for it.

“Hey Josh!” rang through the empty music room. He whipped his head around to see Vernon in the doorway.

“What’s up Vernon? Did you and Seungkwan get into a fight and you need some advice on how to woo your way back into your boyfriend’s good graces?” Joshua said with more bite than his usual calm attitude.

“Whoa. Dude what’s got your in a bunch today?” Vernon asked.

“Life, Vernon. Life in Korea to be exact.” He replied with a huge sigh.

“Ah. Well you won’t like what I have to say then. Your homeroom teacher asked for you. Apparently he has a favor to ask. It’s probably tutoring some other poor soul in English again, but you know that looks good on your college apps. Especially since you plan to go back to California for university.”

“Hmm. Again huh. This early into the year? Must be one of the athletes then.” He let out a huge breath of air. “Hopefully this one is easy to teach and learns fast. Juggling helping my mom out at the café, this tutoring side extracurricular, and music club is enough to make me crazy sometimes.”

“You could always say no. It’s not like you need that much extracurriculars.” Vernon replied.

“Yea, but I actually like music club and helping out my mom at the café. Not to mention I’d like to make sure I do my best to get into any university I apply for. The requirements are different in California then they are here in South Korea.” He said pausing. “Being an all-rounder, with out of school activities and good grades, is more likely to get me in.”

“Eyes on the prize huh hyung?”

“Exactly, Vernon. I’ll see you after school?” Joshua said with a questioning tone, as he got up to leave.

“Uh huh. Seungkwan wants me for one of his songs. Not to mention if I didn’t walk him home, he’d kill me.” Vernon responded, giving his head a little shake.

Joshua smirked. “Aren’t you used to the fact that Seungkwan has you wrapped around his little finger already? Admitting your love for your baby Boo isn’t a bad thing Vernon.” Joshua laughed as Vernon blushed a deep pink to the roots of his curly hair. “Better get back to your boyfriend.” He advised, walking out the door with that parting shot.


Approaching his homerooms teacher’s desk, he announced, “I heard you wanted to see me, Mr. Kang.”

“Ah, Joshua. Perfect. Mrs. Park the English teacher for Class 3 is looking for a tutor for one of her student athletes. He’s one the of the stars of the basketball team. So if you could help, it would do the school a big favor. And it would also secure you a few more recommendation letters for the American colleges you wanted to apply for. Will you do it?”

Joshua perked up at the mention of more recommendation letters. Those letters would be a huge asset, and worth the trouble of taking on another time consuming activity of tutoring an athlete so they could play on the team. “Of course, Mr. Kang. As long as I get to make the tutoring schedule.”

“Mrs. Park knows your reputation for being a good English tutor. I'm sure she will be fine accommodating your schedule. Jeonghan will have to deal if he wants to play that badly.” Mr. Kang replied, voice full of confidence. “There’s Mrs. Park now.”

He turned around to look at a petite woman wearing kitten heels in a no nonsense suit. Joshua stood by the side while he watched Mr. Kang and Mrs. Park talk. Most likely about his only demand and the recommendation letters.

She looked his way. Joshua introduced himself after a bow, “Hello, Mrs. Park. I’m Joshua Hong.”

She smiled at him and said, “Let’s go talk at my desk. I can tell you about the student you’re tutoring.” Together they walked towards the desks by the window. Sitting down in the seat Mrs. Park gestured at, he settled down. “What have you heard from Mr. Kang so far?” She questioned.

“One of the basketball players is having trouble in English class and needs a tutor.”

“Yes. Yoon Jeonghan, is one of the star basketball players on the team and he’s failing my class. The school and the basketball coach need him playing, but his grade in this class will prevent it if he can’t bring it up. That’s where you come in. I’ve heard that you worked wonders for the students you’ve tutored, and I was hoping you’d be able to do the same for Jeonghan.”

“I can try and do my best. He just has to be willing to put in the time. And to work with my schedule.” Joshua replied back with a smile on his face. As long as they agreed to his timeframe Joshua could work with just about anyone. He was a calm person, too calm his friends would say. Until he exploded that is.

“In this case, Jeonghan will have to adjust to your time schedule if he wants to be playing again. You can meet him after school today?”

“Yes, after music club is over. I guess he would be at the gym?” Joshua responded, tilting his head to the side.

“He would. I’ll tell him the news when he sees me after school.”

Joshua got up and said his goodbyes. Looking down at his watch, he saw he had fifteen minutes of lunch left. The black haired boy decided to find Seungkwan and get some more information on this Yoon Jeonghan. He wanted to know if this was going to be easy tutoring gig or not. If Jeonghan was going to be a thorn in his side, then getting those recommendation letters weren’t going to be worth the trouble.


Luckily for Joshua he found Seungkwan exactly where he thought he would. On the roof sitting in Vernon’s lap. Calling out to them, he sat face down in front of Seungkwan. “What do you know about Yoon Jeonghan?”

“Yoon Jeonghan? The basketball player?” Seungkwan asked.

Joshua nodded. “He’s the kid I’m tutoring. I want to know if it’s going to be worth it or if the guy is going to give me problems.”

Humming, Seungkwan looked up for a moment thinking. “He’s pretty popular. A lot of girls and even some guys are into him. He’s got a very distinct look. Blond hair that’s a little beyond shoulder length. A pretty handsome face… and,”

Joshua interrupted him. “No, no, not how he looks like Seungkwan. I want to know about his personality. I’m trying to gauge if he’s going to be easy to tutor or not.”

“Oh, you should’ve said so hyung.” Seungkwan said, his eyes wide in surprise. Vernon snickered behind him, too used to Seungkwan and his ever speaking mouth.

“He kind of did baby.” Seungkwan pouted a bit, ready to sass back at Vernon. Joshua again interrupted him before things could stray far from what he was looking for.

“Back to my question.” He said with a pointed look at both Seungkwan and Vernon.

“He’s pretty easy going. Sticks to his circle of friends a lot, but can be a social butterfly. Most of his time is spent training, which is why his ex-girlfriends broke up with him. But they did say he was nice and caring, if a little spacey at times.”

“Sometimes I wonder how you get this much information. It’s one thing to know his personality but it’s another to know what his exes say about him.” Joshua giving him a funny look, shaking his head in disbelief. Some days Joshua wondered if his idea that Seungkwan had a small network of spies were completely off base, but this wasn’t one of those said days.

“Girls like to gossip and they’re loud lot of the time. Even when they think they’re whispering.” He said with a huff. Vernon and Joshua just laughed.

“So how’s this tutoring thing supposed to work out if he’s so busy with training.” Vernon asked.

“I don’t know. The only thing is that he has to compromise somehow otherwise I can’t tutor him and I won’t change my schedule around for him. I told his English teacher that and she seemed fine with it.” Joshua stated.

“Laying down the law already?” Vernon snickered.

He huffed. “He seems to be a busy guy. And I’m busy too. It’ll be easier this way…” As he trailed off the warning bell rang, prompting them to get to class. Joshua would see them later during music club practice anyhow. The only difference was that after he would have to go see Yoon Jeonghan about tutoring.


Packing up his guitar, he swung the case around to rest it against his back. He turned around saying his goodbyes to the other members and bumping fists with Vernon on his way out. Joshua walked out of the building and towards the gym. Even from a good number of feet away he could hear the squeaking of the basketball shoes, shouts for defense, orders to shoot more accurately, and the thumps of basketballs on the gym floor. He took careful steps to the open door of the gym and peeked in. Spotting what looked to be an underclassman, Joshua called him over. He told him who he was looking for, and watched as the other boy approached what looked to be the coach. The coach turned towards him and nodded. The boy came back to tell Joshua to wait while Jeonghan came out. As he walked away, Joshua looked onto the court to see long ashy blond hair. Remembering what Seungkwan said about long blond hair, he tried to get a look at his face but couldn’t get a clear glimpse. Joshua backed out the doors, just in case. He didn’t want to get hit by stray balls only to fall and hurt his precious guitar.

Joshua looked up at the sky and stared. He wondered if for the umpteenth time if this was going to be worth it. He watched the clouds with a smile on his face until he heard a throat being cleared. Turning around he saw what he hoped was Yoon Jeonghan. The other boy did have ashy blond hair in a ponytail. His face was handsome to say the least. High cheekbones, a straight, strong nose, and his unique hairstyle. No wonder people were after him. But this wasn’t what Joshua was here for.

“You’re Jeonghan?” He asked. The blond nodded. Joshua smiled at him. “Hi, I’m Joshua. Your English tutor. Mrs. Park told me you were having trouble. Hopefully I can help you understand English better. I heard that you’re one of the main players and that bringing up your English grade is super important. So I guess starting soon is something we should do.  I’m free after school on Tuesdays, Thursdays. The weekends I’m normally free but it depends. How about you?” He said tilting his head to the side in inquiry. Joshua didn’t want to tutor on the weekends but if they needed too he’d have to deal he supposed.        

Jeonghan stared at him rather hard. Joshua wondered why. It’s not like he was speaking another language. Maybe it was because Jeonghan must’ve thought he would look more foreign.

Speaking in a clear slightly thin voice, the blond said, “I’m free on the weekends. I’m technically not free after school at all until after practice, but Coach wants me to be able to play when the official games start so I have permission to start practice later or cut it short.”

Joshua hummed contemplating and said, “We can start with Tuesdays and Thursdays after school. We can add more days of tutoring depending on how much help you’ll need and how fast you can learn. Sound all right with you?”

Jeonghan nodded and agreed. Joshua smiled and asked to exchange numbers for future communications. Tapping Jeonghan’s number into his phone he heard the other guy say, “I’d take your number down but my phone is in my locker right now.”

Joshua replied, “I’ll text you later with a location to meet up for future tutoring sessions.” Giving Jeonghan one last smile he walked away with a wave. Head high towards the sky, Joshua hoped this would be a relatively easy and uncomplicated tutoring gig.