Chapter One

We Meet at Four in Room Seventy-Three

St Paul's Secondary School for Boys was a very prestigious grammar school with high expectations, making arriving to school on time via the coach system of the utmost importance, especially on one's first day. This was why, on a gloomy, downcast Thursday bound for rain, Chan inhaled a piece of poorly buttered toast, tried desperately to shove his gigantic dinosaur themed pencil case into his admittedly miniscule black backpack adorned with the Jurassic Park logo, and rushed out the front door, leaping desperately down the small hill leading to the bustling Sunningdale bus stop. Once he was within spitting distance, Chan froze. There were girls there. Actual, real life girls that would twirl their hair and giggle helplessly and possibly try to talk to him. God forbid anything like that ever happening. Chan gulped and crept slowly, grimacing when a loud voice ruined his plan.

'Lads! It's a First Year!' a lanky boy with short, styled black hair squawked, turning all eyes toward Chan.

'You sure, Matt?' another, this one with chin length blond hair, challenged, 'He's a bit tall for a First Year. Well built by the look of things too,' he approached Chan without hesitation, grabbing his bicep, everyone laughing when Chan visibly flinched.

'We don't bite,' Matt assured, 'Mostly,' he continued, earning himself guffaws and a few "Mom! Get the camera!"s, 'But I see what you mean. Must be a Third Year, then. Either way he sits up front.'

'But then where will Elizabeth-' a short girl began, occupied with her phone.

'Uh, somewhere else?' another boy countered, the group once again erupting into pointless laughter.

'Ugh!' she retaliated, clenching her phone at her side, 'You are so- just- ugh!'

Just as the boys were going to continue their mocking, a tall, silver coach sped down the street and halted in front of them. The large party began to board, Chan sitting in the front seat, trying to avoid more communication. To clear his head of all unwanted thoughts, he looked out the window to his right. He became so immersed in the rushing trees and road lines, he almost did not notice the coach come to a halt between two schools. Immediately, everyone rose and exited, leaving Chan the last to leave. He had over heard the boys saying "Cheers" as they left, and thought he should try it out for size, but his came out a garbled, quiet mess that he would have rather forgotten ever happened.

After grabbing his homework diary from the school office, he flipped desperately to the map, and hurried off to where his supposed form room was meant to be, having only three minutes to get there before the bell rang. Chan slid into his seat, a modern black stool in an art room decorated tactfully with pottery, just as the tinny sound of their bell was heard, and a man, no older than his late twenties, addressed the class.

'I am Mr Jones, and I will be your form tutor this year. Welcome to Third Year, everyone!' a collection of ironic cheers and groans were heard, but the man continued nonetheless, 'I'd also like to welcome Chan Lee and... wow I'm sorry-'

'Dongyeol, Sir,' a boy said from the back, 'It's Dongyeol Lee, Sir.'

'Y-yes, that...' the teacher replied, trying to avoid saying their name, 'I'll know how to say it by the end of the year, I promise,' he assured, although the tight smile on his face said otherwise.

The rest of the school day passed much the same, the bell ringing for the end of the day and everyone springing up from their seats, Chan included. He had made a pretty decent friend of Dongyeol, and they decided to speak on Whatsapp once Chan had gotten home. His mother had decided for him to take the train home, so they could pay half the coach fees, and so Chan could participate in afternoon clubs with ease, although that did not mean he expected it when a boy clenched Chan's arms behind his back with one hand and covered his mouth with the other. He barely had time to react before being dragged away to a corner of the school he had only run through during lunch, the IT department. Chan feverishly kicked, but it was no use. His captor held a firm grip as he opened one of the computer rooms with his elbow, shoving Chan in before closing the door behind both of them. The mystery boy flipped a light switch and eleven bodies immediately jumped up from behind the four long rectangular tables that held around five desktops each and shouted, 'Surprise!'

'Welcome newcomer! Welcome!' an older boy, skip in his step, greeted as he approached Chan and stuck out a hand, 'I'm Seungcheol, founder of this fine establishment! I see you have met Minghao already!' he gestured to the boy who had tackled him, who was now waving shyly with slightly puffed out cheeks, 'Was that reconnaissance a success? Was that subsequent recruitment a success?' a crowd of bored "sure"s, a couple "whatever lets you sleep at night"s and one rather odd "it was the rarest of Pepes" were heard in response, and Seungcheol developed a pout.

'Squad, be more aggressive,' another commanded, this one with long red hair, and immediately everyone began shouting cheers of good fortune. When Seungcheol looked over, betrayal cast on his face, the teen simply replied, 'A mother's touch, dear Cheollie.'

'I-I'm sorry, but why am I here?' Chan asked, trying to be as kind as possible.

'You're queer,' one boy answered.

'Hella,' another confirmed.

'No I'm not,' Chan rejected hastily.

'Yeah you are,' a third argued, 'Listen bud, we found the male-loving allele in your DNA.'

'H-how-'

'Dead skin cells on your sports kit,' the long-haired one explained, 'I had a free period. The perks of being a Sixth Former.'

The group watched in amusement as Chan's face turned from one of confusion to one of horror to one of sad acceptance.

'Fine, what do you want?' Chan asked, irritated.

'Oh sweetie, isn't it obvious?' Seungcheol argued, 'We want you to join the LGBT Club!'

-

A/N: K so here's where I explain the British school system in five minutes. Because you start school earlier in Britain, there are thriteen years instead of twelve, unlike America. These are split into Primary School and Secondary School. At some Secondary schools you start in Year 9(13), at some you start in Year 7(11), and at some they accept people entering at both ages, like this school here. In this school I made up and some others a First Year is a Year 7, and so on. So Chan's in Year 9. Sixth Form are the last two years, so they're Year 12 and Year 13. Get it, got it, good.

Expect the next update soon! -Aidan :3