Closely guarded secret

DRAWN

Hey, I’m back! I took and pass all my exams, thank you all for cheering on me! ^^ Though the next semester started, I don’t have to study so hard anymore. I hope I’ll be able to write more frequently. So here is the new chapter. Hope you enjoy! :)

 


 

"CUT! Thank you for your hard work! One hour lunch break."

The shoulders of the members slumped instantly upon hearing the words. They really needed some time to rest. When the water boys approached them with bottles and towels they started chatting and small chuckles left their lips. Most of them mentioned the time their maknae hilariously overreacted his almost fell off from the tournament cabinet.

Though Ji Hyo didn't laugh with them, because she just couldn't see it amusing. When the case occurred one man was sitting in the back trying to contain his emotions and stop them from displaying on his face. His cheeks became red and small drops of sweat found their way down his neck. It could’ve been due to the slowly warming weather and the unusually physical games, but Ji Hyo thought otherwise. Even Gary was heaving once that day, and Suk Jin and herself were unable to accomplish most of the tasks.

"You worked hard" told her a coordi instantly working on her almost completely disappeared makeup. Not that she wore too much. Within minutes it was up again.

"I’ll go the restroom" She told the coordi and headed over to the nearby building. They were playing the games outside since the weather was really nice, but earlier they had held the preparations and the opening scenes inside. Entering the main hallway she could’be been turning right if she wanted to find the ladies’ restroom, but she turned left following the trace of a certain man.

After two minutes of searching Ji Hyo found him somewhere in a back corridor of the building sitting on a bench. He held his ankle tightly and his eyebrows were twitched, though there were no other signs of his distress. It wasn't entirely odd sight to see, sadly. Jong Kook often had pains, sometimes in his back, other times in his knees, but he rarely hide it from the members. He would swore to be fine, but let the others take care of him if they insisted. Now, here he was sitting in the dim light clutching his left leg as if it was broken. It must’ve been the worse he felt in years. Thought it wasn't the only surprising thing for Ji Hyo. Jong Kook didn't notice her until she spoke up, which was weird. The man wasn't called Commander only for his inhuman strength, but his quick wits and sixth sense. He easily found out things the others were struggling to figure out.

"Is your leg bothering you, oppa?" She asked. The man glanced up at her letting go of his ankle. He put his leg down, his expression showing pain for a second only to disappear completely after that.

"Ji Hyo-yah, why are you here?" His voice was a bit hoarse, but he tried to look cool.

The actress cracked small smile then sat down next to him staring at the opposite wall for a moment trying to collect her thoughts. She wanted to say that the reason for her being there is because she cared about her friends, which was true, though she was confused whether there were anything more to her actions. She could’ve informed the others about Jong Kook’s condition, but she chose to come alone. Was it because she didn't want him to feel bad if a crowd attacked him asking about his legpain which would be a direct hit against his pride, or was it because she wanted to be alone with him. Ji Hyo wanted to believe it was the first, but couldn't deny the second reason was also part of it.

"I’m lost" she answered finally, then glanced at him. "I was searching for the restroom."

It was so lame, one couldn't even call it an excuse. She used the restroom several times that day, Jong Kook also knew it. She was a better liar than that. But she chose to say this regardless, because it was obviously stupid. Directly saying ’I was worried about you, oppa’ would be perhaps insulting for him, and also awkward for her, because she wouldn't be able to say this just as a friend, her feelings are more complicated than that.

"Your turn." She pushed his shoulder with hers lightly implying she answered a question, he should as well.

The corners of his lips turned upwards, but the smile didn't reach his eyes. He glanced back at the actress and straightened his back. Even in a sitting position he seemed visibly taller and biger compared to her much smaller frame. How can he be so muscular?

"It’s just weather sensitivity."

At first she just stared at the man blankly, then smiled once again. Just as she did, he gave her a lame answer obviously lying. Clever of him.

Ji Hyo nodded and took of her snapback as it was already too hot wearing it. She didn't need it for protecting her skin of the warm April sunbeams inside of the building.

"And…" She was thinking hard whether asking it or not. Would it be it rude of her? After six long years of filming Running Man together and being friends she thought, it wasn’t. "And do you need help with your… weather sensitivity?"

"No, Ji Hyo-yah" This time his smile seemed genuine, free from pain. Her heart started to beat faster instantly. What was she? A crazy highschool girl again? "It will disappear with the warm front and oppa will be fine again."

"Are you sure?"

"Or course!" Jong Kook grinned at her and tousled her hair a bit with his big palm. He stood up and headed at the direction of the entrane. "Come on, Ji Hyo-yah. We should eat."

"Yes." She said loudly so he would hear him, but was unable to follow him instantly. He was clearly limping even though Ji Hyo knew he tried hard not to.

If this will continue… - She didn't want him to strain himself too much. He had an image to maintain for sure. The commander must be the strongest of all, but it doesn't worth to ruin his health along the way. People and their pride.

She sighed and stood up to go after him, but her mind was still racing like crazy. If the man will continue to play too hard even though he was not alright, she won’t be silent even if it would insulting for him.

 

~*~

 

He sometimes felt like a captain who leaves the sinking ship the last. Now, he wasn't the last person to leave the filming set of course, but he always made sure that everything went well with the production and the others are safe. When the members were already gone, he was still discussing important matters with the PDs and only after felt the right to take his car to go home or call his manager.

So when he saw the woman sitting in the plastic chairs in the hall, Jae Suk halted and raised his eyebrows. It was unlikely for Ji Hyo to stay at the set, normally she was the first to leave, especially in times like these, when she had tight filming schedules as well.

She wore a light a jacket and a scarf around her neck, that was big enough to cover her face up to the tip of her nose. Her eyes were closed. That was like her to sleep anywhere she can.

He slowly approached the woman making sure to not disturb her which was a bit silly thing to do as he was planning to wake her up anyways. It was too cold to sleep there, not to mention her odd pose that could give her pains in her neck the next morning.

When he got closer he saw her phone in her hands. The screen was still lit up, so she fell asleep only a minute ago, probably. But the image on the screen was more surprising to him. It was from a recent photoshoot that was even published by korean news websites. The image captured Jong Kook in a tight suit regarding his comeback with Turbo. The Tiger was dressed up really nicely and he showed a perfect, wide grin that even made his already small eyes to turn into a thin line. His signature sunglasses were in his hand this time.

The screen slowly turned dark as no one touched it in time and Jae Suk had to tear away his eyes from the phone. The actress was still motionless and peaceful.

"Is it true?" He whispered to no one.

The seven cast members were all friends, but some of them showed more affection towards some particular members than the others. For example Dong Hoon spoke more to Jong Kook, Suk Jin to Jae Suk himself. About Ji Hyo it wasn't that easy to determine who she felt more comfortable with in the beginning. She was a lot with Joong Ki, because she was more familiar with him after they filmed a movie together. She liked to talk to Jae Suk as well, since in the past they met many times. She had no connections to the others, yet she liked to be with Jong Kook. Jae Suk thought it was because of the Family Outing episodes they shoot together a few years earlier.

Now that every member is close to the others, he could found no reason yet again why did she choose to be with Jong Kook many times. They had no similar hobbies or other interest. Even their carriers were different excluding Running Man.

Of course he thought about the possibility that their friendship is more than, well… friendship. But he forgot that idea quickly. He could witness many women that fell in love with or had a crush on Jong Kook and Ji Hyo seemed different. The singer’s behaviour made it clear that he had no interest in her either. But now one thought creeped into his mind again. The way Ji Hyo laughed at his jokes, and how her eyes lit up every time he was around were suspicious. She seemed to care about him way more than the others as well.

As intense Running man could be, they sometimes get injuries. Minor or major ones, it happens from time to time. Jae Suk himself can’t even count the small bruises and tiny scars on his body here and there. At first they were more worried about each other’s wellbeing because of that, but after the many years they spent with filming they learnt to take these events more easily, Ji Hyo was no different. But she seemed to care about the commander the same way she did during their first years.

Today was a very tiring episode with lots of running and physical games again. The actress was the first one to notice something was up with Jong Kook. Though Jae Suk was aware it as well, Ji Hyo was the first one to call him on about it and asked the production for a bit of rest. Jong Kook didn't wanted it of course, but the decision wasn't up to him. She cared about everyone else as well, but she rarely went out of her way to say things like that since she knew how proud are the boys of their strength as men.

Jae Suk always felt worried about the cast members, especially about the variety rookies. However he felt more cautious about her for one more thing. She was the only female cast member so Ji Hyo had another pressure on her shoulders. Being in a love line. The boys didn't have to be worried about it, but Ji Hyo had to. There are six (previously seven) of them, so it was a small chance one of them would end up with her, and if someone didn't want to, there were still enough members left to found a Running Man boyfriend. But Ji Hyo become immediately the only candidate for the role of the girlfriend as soon as she entered the show. Jae Suk was afraid things could get out of hand, just like it did with Jong Kook who still couldn’t let go of his onscreen-lover even after ten long years. But Ji Hyo and Gary seemed handle things well. Separating work and real life, as well as friendship and onscreen-love was an easy task for them. If they weren’t capable of that, well, that would create quite a bit of mess. That is why Jae Suk felt anxious when he noticed Ji Hyo’s behaviour towards not Gary, but Jong Kook. Loving someone, as a celebrity is not always fuss-free or ’allowed’.

The National MC sighed silently. He reached for her shoulder and shook it lightly. She stirred right away and glanced up at the person hovering over her. The dark eyes were unfocust for moments, before she rubbed at them and looked up at him again.

"What time is it?" Her voice was raspy and silent. It made him smile though reminding him the multiple occasions he heard her speaking like that, barely out of her dreams.

"Little past ten pm. Where is your manager."

Ji Hyo brushed her hand through her – recently – black hair, but she still had hard time opening her eyes even though she only passed out for a few minutes.

"Uh… he called a while ago that something happened. An accident or something, so the roads are stuffed."

"Then call him that I will drive you home."

She stared at him then shook her head with a smile. "It’s nice of you, but I will just wait for him. You don’t live in the same direction as me."

"It’s not that far. Let’s go." He held out his hand to pat her shoulder again, so the actress just nodded and reached for her phone to make that call while eyeing the man with minor suspicion.

 

 

Nights were beautiful in Seoul. The countless street lights and giant skyscrapers illuminated the city for them. The night life was lively and usually lasted at least until two or four am and only after that started thing became a little less lively thought it didn’t last long. Shortly after cars and people started flooding the streets on their way to work. Ji Hyo watched the people walking down the streets from the passenger seat and wondered why are so many people out there even on a week day.

While she seemed indifferent, Jae Suk had a troubled expression on his face. He glanced at his friend a few times before he dared to speak up.

"Do you have a little time today, Ji Hyo-yah?"

She looked at him and raised her eyebrows. "Well, I have. But it’s almost eleven pm, don’t you want to go home to your family?"

"I just want to talk to you about something." He tried to ease her suspicion, but in the end he just made it worse.

"Now?" Her eyes grew bigger. "Uh… if it’s important, of course, but…"

She trusted him. Actually she trusted Jae Suk more than anyone in the entertainment industry, but this request seemed a bit off. What was so urgent that couldn’t wait and he wanted to talk about so badly at night?

"I know it sounds weird, Ji Hyo-yah" started the man with a sigh "but nowadays nor you nor me have enough time to meet up any other day. I thought it would be better to talk about it privately."

"Okay" nodded the actress after considering it. "Do you want to speak in the car or do you have a place in mind?"

"I don’t know. How about Han river? I will buy you coffee."

She hesitated a bit glancing at the man suspiciously than nodded. "Thank you." Something warm would be definitely good, and since it was him who wanted to talk, it seemed reasonable that he would treat her for an americano as well. But still. What was this all about?

 

 

The riverside was empty. Only a few people could be seen, some walked their dog, some had a late night jog, but none of them were close to the Running Man duo. Anyway noone seemed to care about their presence which was really beneficial. Citizens and the paparazzi never let them be, so he was a bit anxious being out with a fellow celebrity late at night. He almost never went to anywhere even with his family because of journalists hungry for some gossip to chew on.

"It’s beautiful, isn’t it?" Jae Suk heard her saying. He glanced at the woman who just stared at the lights at the others side of the river.

"Yes."

How could he ask this without being too straightforward and rude?

"What did you want to talk about oppa?" She spoke up first. "Everything is alright?"

"Yes" he smiled at her. "Everything is fine."

"Is it something about the members?" She asked next between two sips of coffee, never tearing her eyes away from the night view.

"No. Well…"

"It’s about me?"

She slowly looked at him. Her face was blank, her eyes showing no emotion. She was a good actress, so he often wished to know what was on her mind.

"Yes" He admitted silently. His face alone asked her forgiveness for whatever he was going to say next.

"Why are you so serious?" Ji Hyo frowned, clenching the paper cup harder. "You scare me."

"Don’t be scared." He sighed again. His breath was visible due to the cold weather. "I would never get into someone else’s business, the only reason I wanted to sort things out because I am responsible for everyone and also for the show."

Ji Hyo watched him intently for a minute then something twiched in her eyes and she turned her head away from him pressing her lips into a thin line.

He fell into silence not knowing what to say. He knew that the last thing Ji Hyo needed was to feel anxious about this when her drama tired her out enough.

"How do you know?" She asked quietly, barely audible.

A small, bitter smile fell on his lips, then glanced at her searching for eye contact. "I think I always knew."

"I am too obvious?" Her worried expression made him laugh. He understood just now, that they shouldn’t be too serious about this. Love, at the least, was all about happiness and fun. Or it should be. For him it was now just like that, though previously it wasn’t this simple.

"No, not really. After all Jong Kook doesn’t know about it."

"Ah, right…" She glared at the paper cup in her hand and forced herself to drink some coffee. It was already lukewarm, but she still needed the caffeine even though her heart already raced like crazy.

For a little while none of them muttered even a word, Jae Suk waited for her to speak up and she did so, after standing up from the bench to throw the empty cup away. When she came back from the trash bin she glanced at him worriedly. Her usually mature features were replaced with a worried expression.

"Why do you wanted to talk about it, oppa?" She avoided his gaze being afraid what would she find there, but actually he was smiling sweetly.

"Because I wanted to ask if you were okay. Liking someone can be troublesome." How many girls and women left him in his life? How many times did they broke his heart? At least he wanted to offer her a shoulder to cry on in case she felt sad or helpless. They always teased Jong Kook about women he had or has crushes on. For someone who likes him, it can be hard to listen to these antics.

"I’m fine" She looked up with a bit determination in her eyes. "I decided to give up on him."

"You did?" He chuckled a bit, than stood up as well. "But if you would like to talk about it…"

"I don’t" she didn't let him to finish his sentence even if it was rude to do so to an older person. "Everything’s okay."

"I’m glad to hear that" Jae Suk told her with a smile. "But I want you to know that I'm here regardless."

Ji Hyo eyed him for a while never stop thinking. When was the first time the MC knew about her feelings? Was it really that easy to find out? She should be careful now on. She also wondered whether the man or herself knew it sooner. Because neither did she previously neither she thought now, that her feelings were that serious in the first place. But now that someone else knew about it as well, everything seemed more real. As if she suddenly woke up from a hazy dream. The reality was harder to cope with. When it was only her, she felt less pressure.

"It’s not serious" she told the man, though her eyes said otherwise.

"I understand. If you say so, I believe you." His kind smile if anything, reassured her that the secret is in good hands with him. "It’s late" Said the man glancing at his smartphone. "I will take you home."

He patted her on the shoulder and they headed back to the parking lot, neither of them saying a word. Jae Suk felt that he already told everything he wanted, and Ji Hyo was too short for words. It was weird to think that her closely guarded secret is not only, well, a secret anymore, or more importantly, not just hers.

 


 

Sooo, Ji Hyo’s secret is revealed. Well, for one man at least. But the number of people knowing about it will only increase leading to complications.

In the next chapter Ji Hyo will tell about it willingly to someone…

 

Aaaaaan, I just found out, that there is an other story with the title 'drawn', and it's also SpartAce, so I think I need to change it  :'D Can't believe it. When I post the next chapter, probably the story will have another title :/ Which is sad, because I really liked this one (and because I also bad at coming up with titles.)