Chapter 2

Idol Series : Balloons

Chapter 2

"Ok, out with it already!"
Sehun stopped his chore to glare at his friend.
"What?" Chen asked innocently.
"Whatever's bothering you," Sehun growled. "Spill it and stop bringing me down with your forlorn puppy dog look."
Chen sighed, softly banging his forehead against a tall record shelf.
Sehun was busy arranging some new arrivals on the shelves, when Chen dragged  himself into the CD store.
"Irene and Kai broke up," Chen said finally.
"Really? That's great, man! You can go in and make the kill then," his tall friend beamed at him, shaking him by the shoulders.
Yet Chen hesitated.
"I can't?"
"Why not?"
"I'm scared."
"Scared? You're such a twerp," Sehun snorted. "What's wrong with you, dude?"
Chen remained silent for a moment before answering, "after Kai, what makes you think she'd want someone like me?"
Sehun stared at him momentarily.
Sehun and Chen have been friends since kindergarten, even living on the same street.
Being one who has to work hard at the grades, Sehun has always admired Chen's easy breeze in the academic field.
Together with Irene and a few other friends from the same high school, Sehun and Chen now attend the same  college, with Chen undergoing the Information Science degree and Sehun a Music and Sounds Engineering one.
"Chen! You're our idol, man. So smart and creative," Sehun said. "Go for it, man, you've liked her since forever."
"Me liking her, doesn't mean she'll like me back," Chen grimaced. "She probably don't even know I exist."
"Of course she knows you, man. We've been together since kindy."
"But I'm not the tough kind," Chen said dejectedly.
"So what?"
"Girls like that sort of guys, don't you think? Guys like you and Kai?"
"Well, maybe, I guess," Sehun said, never one to beat around the bush. Being tall, athletic and good looking, Sehun was always a popular figure at both the schools and neighborhood. However, sensitive to his friend's thoughts and feelings, Sehun continued to encourage Chen. "But somehow, Irene doesn't strike me as one of those girls."
"But she's been with Kai for a long time."
"Well, we all know it was Kai who wooed her, not the other way around, and the fact that they've broken up, maybe they're not meant for each other."
"Yeah, well. We'll see," Chen said thoughtfully.
"Ok well, whatever," Sehun sighed, knowing not to push his friend anymore for the time being. "Get your to that counter and look after the shop for me, ya?"
"Where are you going?"
"To go fetch that little guacamole."
"Lily-chan? Why? Luna mending her store again?"
"Yeah."
"Well ok, see you later then."
"Yeah, later, man," Sehun returned as he rushed out of the shop.

 

Chen sat behind the cash terminal after Sehun left.
Staring into space, he thought of has happened lately.
It has been more than a month since that day at the ice breaking party.
Classes were well underway, together with sports and other extra curricular activities.
Chen, as usual, has signed up for the games and creative applications club. With an online reputation he has built throughout his high school years as a games builder and player, Chen was accepted warmly by the club members.
Like maths marathon before, games competitions were fast gaining popularity amongst the colleges and universities.
It encouraged innovations and creativity, which was right up Chen's alley.
Maybe I should just forget her, and concentrate on school, Chen thought. It was a while since he last saw her.
I see her locker more often that I see her nowadays, he thought again.

 

Since the induction week, Chen has been sneaking in every Sunday evening to tie a balloon at Irene's locker door, for her to receive every Monday morning.
It was supposed to be a consolation for her of sorts. A good luck charm to last her for the week. To tell her that balloons were supposed to cheer a person, not otherwise.
And like a stalker, he waited each beginning of the week, hoping to see Irene smile receiving the balloon.
Yet, on the contrary, each time she arrived at her locker and see the balloon, she burst it off almost immediately.
Maybe it was a wrong strategy, Chen frowned, and he had decided to stop the gesture about a week ago.
Unlike his ever charming friend Sehun, Chen has always been awkward around people.
Save for his neighborhood friends, Sehun and Luna, with Luna's sister, Lily, Chen preferred to keep to himself - his books and old laptop as his most trusted companions.
Waiting for me to be the next Steve Jobs til I get the girl, seemed to be too far off, and there's no way for me to be the next Ronaldo or Rafael Nadal either.
Chen sighed to no one in particular.
He has never been much into girls, but something about Irene has always intrigued him. Ever since they were little.
Living on the next street and of the same age, Irene has always attended the same school with him, Sehun and Luna. Some years even the same class.
In fact, she used to join them in group play or activities when they were younger, and pretty chummy with Chen himself too.
Until Kai came into the picture at high school.
Then, she was always known as Kai's princess.
Until it was finally made official yesterday that Kai and Irene have broken up.

Clearing the path for Chen to try his luck with her.

If he wanted to.
If he has the guts to.