Chapter 3

Idol Series : Balloons

Chapter 3

 

I should feel sad.
But funnily enough I'm not.
In fact, I feel free.
I don't have to put on fake smiles for friends I really should regard as mere acquaintances.
I don't have to wear high heels because he had insisted I should be nearer to his height.
And I don't have to waste time attending parties I don't feel comfortable in.
Instead, I can sit here quietly and do the one thing that makes me most happy.
Draw.
I love to draw, sketch, paint, whatever - both by hand and on the computer.
Online, I'm known as Prince Caspian, a moniker taken from the crush I developed for that Chronicles of Narnia character.
I also liked the fact that online gamers think I'm a guy and hence take me seriously.
And unbeknownst to anyone in the real world, I make pretty decent side income by selling my creations, as well as participate in online games competitions.
So, being anonymous about it, gave me the privacy that I needed to continue my trivial pursuits in a secure manner.


Irene was tucked in a small enclave in a shrubbery maze on the college grounds. Hidden by hustle and bustle of college life and the social expectations of it, she found solace in her quiet moments to simply enjoy her favourite pursuit.

"So you're with Kai now, huh?"
Irene suddenly heard a conversation on the other side of the maze wall.
"Uhm, not really, more of us keeping quality company with each other."
Irene recognized those voices, sitting up straight and paying attention, on her bench. The latter was EunJi's, while the first belonged another of her so-called friends, Suzy.
"Quality company," Suzy laughed.
"Yeah, which is how I prefer it, you know. I mean he's hot and all that, but to have him hang all over me all the time, can be quite claustrophobic."
"But that was how he was with Irene too."
"I know, right... oh my god, I really don't know how she could stand it. Kai can be pretty boring some times."
"Well, Irene is the princess of bore-kingdom too, they say."
"Well, you know how nerdy she can be some times."
"Yup," Suzy sniggered. "I mean, who follows amines any more nowadays. Does she think she still in middle school?"
"Yeah," Irene heard the disdain in EunJi's voice. "Kai said she's a novice at the kissing scene too, not that I care what she's capable of. I mean after being with me, I'm sure Kai won't want to go back to that cold fish again."
"Cold? I won't say she's cold," the on-the-fence Suzy tried to sing Irene's traits. "More like innocent really."
"Innocent, my derrière," EunJi scoffed. "Whatever! Why are we even discussing that girl. Let's go, I want to make my presence at the cafe first, before going off to class."
"Ok, let's go."
"Y'know what? That Sehun is getting cuter and ..."

Irene sat quietly on the other side of the maze wall, the girls' voices moving farther away from her as they chatted excitedly.
Why am I not even hurt with those words, she thought to herself.

Is it because the girls don't mean anything to me, hence their words too mean nothing?
Perhaps, Irene shrugged, as she started to gather her belongings. Anyways, it's time for me to get to the next class too, I guess.

 

 

***
 

Chen stopped in his tracks, on the way to his favourite thinking spot.
He has been busy lately with school, his part time delivery job and co-curricular activities.
It was rare that he got a full hour of free time to himself.
He found the little enclave in the maze the first day he enrolled in college, and have been using the bench as a resting area as he gets a shut eye, mentally arranging the games codes in his mind.
The mind was a wondrous place, Chen thought, loving the imaginary world he could create in it.
Lucky for him he also has the talent to translate them into products one could touch, feel and see.
But creativity often took a toll on Chen's social life, projecting him as a nerd, unapproachable or even a recluse.
Still, I have all the friends I need in Sehun and Luna, and some really cool gamer friends, he thought.
And Irene?
Irene will forever live in my imaginary world, I guess. A mere fantasy.

 

Lost in his thoughts, Chen woke up at the snooty conversation on the other side of the maze wall.
"Kai said she's a novice at the kissing scene too..." He vaguely heard to retreating voice said.
"Cold? I won't say she's cold... More like innocent really."
EunJi? And Suzy, he said to himself. Discussing Irene, he was sure.
My poor Irene, I wonder how she's been holding up lately, Chen thought.
I wonder how and why we actually drifted apart.
We were actually quite close when we were younger.
Puberty happens, I guess
, he thought again.
Oh well, with the way she burst those balloons without feelings, I guess I need to stay away from her for the time being.
Besides, I have that competition to concentrate on for now.

Arriving at 'his bench', Chen noticed a thick sketch book.
Suddenly, a gust of wind threw the pages open, making him privy to the drawings inside.
I know these drawings, he frowned.
His hand slowly lifted the book to look at the drawings closer.
Man, I know this style.
And unable to stop himself, he flipped one page after another, with his surprise turned to wonder.

 

***

Irene walked away a good 300 meters away, before she realised her missing book.
Sighing impatiently, she ran through the maze to retrieve it.
Oh no, Irene thought, looking at the scene in front of her. Not him.
Looking at his shocked face, Irene approached Chen slowly, before stopping a meter away from him.
"That's mine," Irene said softly. "Chen, that's my book."
Chen looked up, before his mind registered who it was in front of him.
"I'm sorry," Chen stammered. "The wind blew it open."
"Oh? Yeah well, can I have it back?"
"Huh?"
Chen does not know what was shocking him more. The fact that the girl of his dreams is in front of him, or the fact that she was also the owner of the sketch book.
“These are your sketches?"
Irene thought of saying no, but she could not.
"Yes."
Chen cocked his head, trying to register her words.
“You're Prince Caspian?"
Irene stared at him for a long while.
"Yes, I am," she replied. "Now can I have it back?"
Still in a stupor, Chen started to hand it over to Irene, before his senses hit him.
"You're Narnia?" He asking again, using his nickname for Prince Caspian, snapping his hand back and holding on the book for his dear life.
"Yes, I am," Irene answered again.
"I'm Guitar Man."
"I know."
"You know?" Chen asked incredulously. "You know Guitar Man is me."
"Yes, I do. Everybody does."
"Then, why?"
"Sorry," Irene grabbed her book. "I got to go."
And she ran off, away from him.
"Wait..!"
All Chen could do was to call after her, his legs too weak to follow suit.
She's Prince Caspian, he thought, sitting heavily on the bench. Prince Caspian is a girl.

No, Prince Caspian is Irene.
After a long dazed period, Chen suddenly smiled. And then, started to laugh.
Wooh! He thumped the air excitely.

Gotcha, Narnia, an evil yet beautiful grin lit up his normally serious face. I know now, who you are. Just you wait til I come and get you.