Chapter 7

Idol Series : Balloons

Chapter 7

 

 

"Hey!"

"Hey yourself," Luna greeted Chen and started to help him unload the boxes from his trolley.

"Nope, I got it. You know you shouldn't," Chen stopped her from lifting the heavy boxes. "Same place?"

"Yeah, in the store room."

"And this one to the hospital?" Chen asked, pointing to a box of party hats and red noses.

"Yup," his friend smiled.

Chen kept the last box away from the others, as how he knew Luna preferred it.

"How's business this week," Chen asked when finished his chore and plonked himself over a stool in front of Luna's counter.

"Not so good, hence I pay for those hospital stuff myself."

Luna's family shop was the last stop for his party favors delivery. The Chois have had the shop ever since Chen and Luna were children, and now that Chen worked part time at a party trinket factory, he delivered them to Luna's shop whenever they ordered.

Apart from college and helping out with the family business, Luna also volunteered at the local hospital as a feel good clown giving away presents and party favors to cheer the sick children.

"Yeah, it's a crunch," Chen sighed, taking off his glasses and wiping it with the bottom of his t shirt.

Luna shook her head at his actions, instead handing a felt cloth for him to use.

"When are you ever going to get contacts?" She asked.

"What for? I'm comfortable with this tortoise of mine," he grinned, referring to his trusted tortoise shelled glasses.

"You remind me of Clark Kent," Luna smiled. "Hiding your beautiful eyes behind an ugly pair of glasses."

"Hey, who you calling ugly."

"Your glasses. Admit it. You know they are ugly," Sulli sneered. "And your power is not that high, anyways. What are you trying hide, huh, behind those rims?"

"Nothing," Chen grinned again, comfortable with his old friend.

"Oh, by the way, your balloons arrived," Luna remembered suddenly.

"Great!" Chen jumped from his seat to follow his friend to the store room.

"It's a bit pricey though."

"That's ok, it's cheaper than if I were to buy them online."

"Really cute," Luna grinned as she handed him the box of balloons, "and one of kind."

"Really, what do they have? Have you seen them?"

"Only from the box," as they both peered excitedly as Chen tore the plastic wrapper away.

"Gosh, there's Power Puff, Clannad, Naruto," Luna clapped we hands in glee. "Shall I guess who they're for?"

"You know you don't have to," Chen smiled at her.

"But why anime characters?"

"She's Prince Caspian, can you believe it?" his hands flew up excitedly.

"You're kidding me..!"

"No, I'm not."

"Seriously?" Luna repeated again, not believing the story. "How did you find out? Cassie was always kind of secretive with his identity, wasn't he?"

"I know, right?" Chen grinned. "And now we know why."

Chen went on to tell Luna how he found out about Irene's alter ego.

"Nooo, I've always thought you'd match make him with me," Luna pouted.

"Well, sorry babe, it's a her," Chen grinned. "Not him"

Luna mirrored his infectious grin and pat him on the shoulder, knowing his gaming obsession.

"I should have picked it up sooner. The way you used to gush at Prince Caspian, was a little unnatural to me."

"Hey, he was my bro, ok. And I just admired his work that's all. He's the one person who knows exactly what I want," Chen explained.

"Well, you can start referring him as a her now," Luna smiled. "More interestingly, you can start thinking of him as Irene now."

"I don't know Lun, it's been 2 weeks since I found out and we've been chatting almost every night," Chen suddenly turned subdued. "But she still refused to meet up with me in person."

"So, the balloons are..."

"... to replace my bad pick up lines?" He finished for her with a forlorn face.

Luna laughed.

"Well, I don't know if it'll work, given what she did with the last ones you gave her, but it's worth the shot."

"Yeah, I know," Chen gimaced. He ruffled Luna's hair before he started to make his way out of the store. "Wish me luck, ole girl."

"Hey..!" Luna called out to him, making Chen stopped his tracks. "You're a great person underneath that quiet persona. Anyone who takes the time to get to know you, will definitely love you, ok?"

Chen looked at her and smiled softly.

"Good luck, Chen-chen," Luna returned his smile. "Time to ditch those glasses and show her the real super you."