Winter Break

Spy Academy

"Assessment day marked the end of the first semester, and the following day was the begining of winter break. Sera awoke the following morning eager to get her grades. She had just finished getting dressed when she heard a knock at the door.

"Good morning!" Minhyuk beamed.

"Morning"

"Do you want to go with me to get our grades before we leave for break?" 

"Yeah, just let me put on some shoes" Sera turned around to put her shoes on.

Minhyuk took a look around her room. "You haven't packed?" he asked, pointing at the empty suitcase stashed behind her wardrobe.

"Oh, I just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'll do it after we check our grades" She headed towards the door. "You coming?"

-

The grades were being dispersed in the principal's office. They were originally supposed to be given out during class on the day that they returned for break, but most students found it hard to wait another week for their results. The line for report cards was longer than Sera anticipated. It spilled out of the building and ended outside.

"This line is going to take forever!" Minhyuk whinned.

Sera stayed optomistic "it's not too bad"

"I hope it goes by fast, my mother is going to be here in an hour to pick me up"

While in line, they watched as their classmates came out with their grades. Their expressions showing the obvious feelings of either satisfaction or grief.

"Sera!" Jooheon called.

Sera watched Jooheon approach her and Minhyuk. "I'm suprised to see you here"

"Yeah well, I lost my match so I wanted to see how badly that was going to effect my grade"

"Who did you loose to?" Sera was suprised to hear that someone could beat Jooheon.

"Shownu"

"Of course" Sera mumbled. 

"Can I just wait with you guys?" Jooheon looked at where they were standing and found it much more appealing than the end of the line.

"No, you can't cut" Sera said sternly.

"Why not?" he whinned "We're friends aren't we?"

"Friends don't put friends in concussions" Sera mentioned.

His eyes widened "I didn't mean to! You moved!"

She started laughing.

"Please" He batted his eyelashes.

"End of the line jooheon" She told him.

"Oh okay" he pouted.

When they reached the begining of the line, Sera wished Minhyuk luck and watched him enter the office. After a few seconds, he came out and it was Sera's turn. Once inside, all she had to do was tell the assistant principal her name. The assistant principal then handed her the report card, and she was good to go.

Sera met with Minhyuk outside. "Should we open them together?" He asked.

"Okay, on the count of three" They both held their cards, ready to open them.

"1, 2, 3!" They both opened their books and exaimened their grades.

"Oh..." Minhyuk muttered.

"What? Is it bad?" Sera asked.

"Not too bad" He peered over at her card "Let me see yours"

"Let's switch" Sera took his card and handed him hers. "This isn't bad at all. Look! You got a A in Chemistry. You were worried over nothing"

"That's noting compared to yours. I thought you said you were bad at math!"

Sera laughed "I started studying"

The two of them headed over to the gym next. Sera was eager to check her score and Minhyuk still had some time to spare before his mother arrived. Inside the gym, their was a crowd of students looking at the leader board. They were all laughing and talking about the list. 

Sera gasped when she saw her name. "Oh my gosh"

Minhyuk didn't even bother to look at board "What? Did you fall?"

"No, I'm number 10!"

Minhyuk's eyes widened "No way!"

"Yes! and look! Minhyuk, your name is on the list too!" Sera pointed at the list. There he was, right at the bottom, number 20.

"But How?" He was in shock.

"Must be your grades. You did well on your tests and you won your 1on1"

His mouth was hanging open. "I never imagined I would even get on the list"

Sera looked at the list again. Shownu was still number one, and Wonho was still number two. Jooheon had dropped to forth place, and Kihyun had moved up to fifth. After staring in disbelief, Sera and Minhyuk were finally ready to leave. 

Then it was time for Minhyuk to leave for the break. Sera helped Minhyuk with his bags and now stood outside in the front yard, waiting with him for his mother to arrive.

"Don't forget to text me over the break" he reminded her 

"I won't"

"Promise?"

"I promise"

A black car pulled around the building. Sera handed him his bags and let him carry them to his car "See you in a week"

"Bye Sera!" He walked off and got into the car.

After Minhyuk was gone, Sera already started feeling lonely. She slowly drifted back to her dorm. She passed by students carrying their suitcases and rushing out of the building. It seemed like everyone was excited and ready for the break. On her way back she started to wonder what kind of plans the other students were looking forward to. Were they going skiing? Or having home cooked meals with their families? And then she started to think about how boring her week is going to be.

In the midst of her thinking she bumped into someone walking the other direction. She bounced off his chest and probably would have fallen onto the floor if he didn't catch her. "Are you okay Sera?" His arms were wrapped around her back. 

Sera was clinging onto him for dear life. Looking up at him she let out a "I'm good" 

He laughed and helped her to her feet. "Looks like we're both falling for each other huh?" His joke, although corny, made her laugh.

"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention"

"It's no problem really"

"Well, have a good break" Sera tried to leave.

"Where are you headed?"

"Back to my room, my parents aren't coming until later"

"Okay we'll I'll see you in a week"

"Okay, see ya!" Sera smiled.

-

A few hours had passed and students continued to leave. Sera watched from a window in her room. She saw Hyungwon get into a really expensive looking car. She felt bad about getting so mad at him earlier, and wished she could apologize. Next she saw Shownu leave. A woman, who she assumed to be his mother, came out of the car and hugged him. Shownu looked so embarresed afterwards, Sera found it adorable.

Soon it was starting to get dark. Sera was begining to feel hungry, so she made her way over to the cafeteria for dinner. The room was almost vacant. Aside from the cooks in the kitchen, there were only a handful of students in the cafeteria.

Luckily, Sera saw Kihyun sitting by himself. "Is this seat taken?"

"What are you still doing here?" He asked her.

Sera sat down across from him "I could ask you the same thing"

"I'm being picked up tomorrow, you?"

"Same" she lied.

"Ah, just our luck. Now we're stuck here for another night"

"I don't mind"

"You don't"

"No, I like this school" She explained. 

"I like this school too, but that doesn't mean I don't miss being home"

She shrugged "This school kind of feels like home to me"

He laughed "If you say so"

Sera took at bite of her food. 

"I saw your score. Congratulations"

"Thanks!" Sera became happy after he reminded her. "But that doesn't mean we can stop training"

"How far are you trying to go? I don't think I should keep helping you if you're just going to surpass me"

"I'm not going to surpass you" She assured him.

"You might, you went up 7 ranks after that assessment"

"Oh c'mon! You need training too! Let's just keep doing it together."

"Fine, but the minute you start scoring higher than me, you're on your own."

"Deal"

After dinner Sera retired to her room. She decided to give her parents a call to let them know about her grades.

"Hello? Sweetie? Is that you?" Her mother answered.

Sera smiled "Yeah mom"

"Oh how are you doing! It's been so long since you've called!" Her mother's voice was bright and cheery.

"I've been busy"

"That's good! Have you made any friends?"

"A few"

"What about your grades?"

"I aced most of my classes"

"That's amazing! Well, I would love to keep chatting with you, but me and your father are getting ready for a big meeting"

Sera wasn't too disapointed, she knew this call wouldn't last long. "Okay"

"Do you want to speak to your father?"

"Sure"

Her father took the phone "Hey dumpling! How's school going?"

"Good, I made the top 10 today"

"That's great, dumpling" He sounded almost insincere.

"I miss you guys" Sera admitted "I wish you guys weren't so busy working"

"I know, I'm sorry"

"It's okay"

"I have to get back to work. I hope you have a fun break"

"I'll try" Only her father didn't hear that last part because he was handing the phone back to her mother.

"Honey, You're free to come home over the break, I know the house might be empty without me or your father there but it's still home."

"No thanks, I think I'm going to stay here at school. At least there's some other people around"

"Okay well have a good time. I'll call you soon"

"Bye" 

Sera hung up the phone and sighed. Then a knock came at the door. Sera opened it to find Kihyun standing there with a bag of marshmallows. "You busy?"

"No actually"

"Good!" He exclaimed "Let's go to the bonfire"

"Bonfire?"

Kihyun explained to her that every year, the students that either can't go home or choose not to go home, have a bonfire to celebrate the first week of spring break. When they got there, there were about twenty or so students sitting around a large fire. They were all laughing and playing around.

"This is a really good idea, who came up with it?" 

Kihyun shrugged "It's been a tradition here for such a long time, I doubt anyone knows"

They pulled out the bag of marshmallows. They toasted their marshmallows and sat down to enjoy them.

"So what time are you leaving tomorrow?" Kihyun asked.

"Late afternoon"

"Really, because before you said you were leaving in the morning"

"Morning to afternoon, sometime around there"

Kihyun laughed.

"Why are you smiling?"

"When are you going to admit you're lying"

She froze.

"Sera, it's obvious"

"Is it really?"

Kihyun nodded "Why aren't you going home?"

She shrugged "My parents are going to be working the whole week. I might as well stay here. At least here I can keep training"

"If you want you could come stay at my house"

Sera refused "No, it's alright. Staying here won't be bad. Like I said, it feels like home here"

"Alright, if you insist"

-

Sera and Kihyun enjoyed the rest of the bonfire. One student brought his guitar and played music while everyone else sang along. Suprisingly, Kihyun had a really impressive singing voice. Then after everyone started turning in for the night, Kihyun offered to walk Sera home.

"That was fun" Sera commented "I wish we could do it every night" They arrived at the door and Sera opened the door. "Thanks for walking me" 

He stoped her from going in "Before you go, I have something I want to tell you"

"What is it?"

"I wanted to finally cash in the favor you owe me"

Sera never forgot about the favor. She had been patiently waiting for him to cash it in for weeks now. "What's the favor?"

"Tomorrow night my family is having a party, it's stupid I know, but I don't want to go alone"

"A party? Doesn't sound like much of a favor"

"Oh trust me it is, because you're going to impress my parents"

"You're loosing me"

"My parent's have been on my case about finding a girl for as long as I can remember. I need you to pretend to be my date to this party so they'll finally stop nagging me about it"

"So, you want me to be your date?"

"Exactly"

"Okay" 

"I'll see you at 6 tomorrow night"

"Night" She closed the door after he left. It wasn't until he left that she started to realize what she had just agreed to. "Wait, a date?"