A Strong Recovery

Spy Academy

Sera woke up with a throbing headache. The light from the window told her it was early the next morning. She was sitting in the bed in the nurse's office. She looked around to see if anyone was around, but she was alone. She slipped out of bed and went to the restroom and looked in the mirror. A huge bandage was placed on top of her forehead. She was still wearing her gym clothes from yesterday. She decided she should go back to her dorm to change. She opened the door to leave and saw Kihyun standing there with a brown bag.

"Why aren't you in bed?"

"I feel fine. I just wanted to go..."

"Get back in bed" He cut her off. "The nurse still has to check and make sure everything is alright before you can leave"

Sera pouted and went back to bed.

"I brought you a present" He plopped the brown bag on the bed.

"What is it?"

"Fast Food"

Those words sounded foreign to her. She hadn't eaten fast food for months. "You're lying"

"No, I'm not. Open it"

She opened the bag and pulled out a burger and fries "But we're not allowed to leave campus! How did you get this?"

"I called in a favor" Kihyun sat at the foot of the bed, across from Sera.

"Speaking of favors, are you ever going to cash in the one I owe you?"

"Oh that favor is coming, just be patient" he teased.

Sera took a bite of her burger. It was slightly cold but still delicious "This is amazing"

"I'm glad you like it"

"So what happened after I out yesterday? Did my score drop?" Sera asked in between bites.

Kihyun laughed "You're becoming obsessed with that leader board."

"Well of course I am, It's all we've been training for. If my loss yesterday causes my score to fall, we'll have to pull an all nighter!" She half-joked. 

He watched her take a bite of her burger leaving mustard on the side of her face. "You got a little something on your face"

"Where?" She wiped the other side, completely missing the mustard.

"No, here" he reached forward and wiped the mustard off with his thumb.

Sera blushed slightly. "Thanks" She suddenly became too shy to look him in the eyes.

Minhyuk entered the room "Sera!" He looked at the scene he had just entered, with the fast food all over the bed. "Aw, I wanted to bring you breakfast!"

"It's okay, I'm just glad you're here" Sera laughed "What do you have there?"

He was holding a few books in his hands "I brought you your homework, so you wouldn't fall behind"

"Thank you Minhyuk, but I don't think I'll be here for very much longer"

Kihyun got up and picked up her trash "I'm going to get back to class, I'll see you later" He raced out of the room. Sera couldn't figure out why he left so quickly. 

Minhyuk put her books down on the table. "I looked at your score by the way. I thought you would probably want to know where you were"

"How much did it fall?"

"You're number 17" his words hit her like a brick.

"Darn, I guess it's okay"

Minhyuk looked at the door. "I can go, if you want to work on your assignments I mean."

"No, don't leave" She whinned. 

"Okay" He smiled. Minhyuk pulled up a chair.

"I'm sorry Minhyuk" Sera apologized. "I know I haven't really been around lately"

"Oh it's okay. I was acting selfish"

"Well, we're hanging out now right?" Sera picked up the remote "What do you wanna watch?"

-

The nurse came back after Minhyuk had left for class. "Sorry I'm late" she apologized. "Some kid shot himself with a dart gun"

"Oh that's okay" Sera replied.

"You look much better" the nurse pulled out a ophthalmoscope and waved in front of her eyes. She flashed the light back and forth to check for any sign of a concussion. "Okay, looks like you're good to go" The nurse put the tool back on her purse.

"Thank you so much" Sera stood up and grabbed her books.

"Take it easy okay?" The nurse reminded her "I know when I say that to students they never seem to listen, but try to take it easy"

"Yes Ma'm" Sera answered.

-

Sera freshened up and changed into new clothes. She threw on a tank top and some sweatpants and then headed straight back to the gym to practice. The gym was empty, aside from a few others who were training. Sera put on gloves and started hitting a punching bag. 

"Are you even trying?" She heard someone say.

She turned around to see Shownu. He was covered in sweat, it looked like he was in the middle of training. "Of course I'm trying"

He laughed "The bag is barely moving"

"My punches aren't that powerful, the coach said to make them strategic" 

"Seriously?!" He lifted an eyebrow "That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to put power in them"

"Well, you have your way and I have mine" Sera didn't want to take advice from him. Especially if he was going to talk to her that way.

"Fine, keep on practing 'you're way' " Shownu moved to the punching bag next to hers and started hitting it.

Sera watched him for a few seconds before going to her own. She tried to mimic his form and put more power in her punches.

Shownu peered over and saw that she changed her form. He stopped hitting his bag and watched.

She noticed he was staring so she stopped and looked at him. "What?!"

"That's better, but the bag still isn't moving much"

"What do you suggest?" She was growing impatient with him.

He moved closer to her "You have to throw all your wait into it. You're small but you can still throw a decent punch."

"Like this?" Sera threw a punch and the bag swung.

"Good" Shownu smiled.

"Are you...smiling?"

Shownu quickly wipped the smile off his face. "Now that you can throw a punch, you'll need to be able to..."

"Take one?" Sera inturrupted. 

"I was going to say avoid one"

"Oh" Sera followed Shownu out to the mats.

"I'm going to yell out where I'm going to throw my punch and you'll need to dodge it" He told her.

"Okay?" Sera prepared herself.

"Left Arm" Shownu punched her arm.

"OW!" She rubbed her arm "That was too fast!"

"I gave you a warning! Keep up" Shownu argued "Left knee"

Sera jumped backwards and his punch missed.

"Good, you are fast!" Shownu didn't let her rest "Right knee, left shoulder, right hip"

He threw out body part after body part. Each time Sera barely dodged it. Then she slipped and fell onto the ground. "Ah, I was doing so well!"

"You did fine" He held out his hand for her to grab "You just need to work on your footwork"

She took his hand and he pulled her to her feet "My footwork huh?"

"Yeah but that's something you're learning next week"

"Teach it to me"

"Now?" Shownu looked confused.

"Yeah, I want to learn it now. Or at least get a head start"

He thought for a moment. "I guess I could spare some time. Okay, I'll teach you. But you have to tutor me"

"Tutor you?" 

"In world languages. I at them, but I heard you're not to bad" 

"Okay deal!" Sera agreed.

"Great, now let's get to work!"