Top 20

Spy Academy

Minhyuk and Sera spent the rest of the night looking for her unique skill with no luck. Sera wanted to keep trying but Minhyuk eventually convinced her to call it a night.

Sera awoke the next morning eager to start her day. She had a a little over an hour before her first class, so she decided to get some extra training in. With her gym uniform on, she went out to the field to run the track. Suprisingly, she was far from alone. There were many other students also getting in some morning exercise. As she was jogging, she felt a presence running beside her. She tried to start running a bit faster to get ahead of him but he just copied her speed.

"You're Sera right?" He finally spoke up.

"Yeah" She admitted.

They continued to run while they chatted. "Congradulations on your big win"

Sera was suprised he knew about that "Thanks, but how did you..."

"You're all anyone can talk about" He laughed "You went from the bottom of your class to actually having some skill"

"Well it wasn't all me" Sera referred to Kihyun and how he helped her out during the game.

"Stop it, you're too cute when you're modest" he joked "My name is Wonho by the way"

"Nice to meet you" Sera noticed they were coming up to a bar and prepared herself to jump.

"Maybe later we could hang out"

Sera didn't hear him, she was too busy concentrating on making the jump. It looked like Wonho should have been concentrating on the track as well. When the bar came around he tripped on it and fell over. "Ah!" He fell onto the ground and held his shin in pain.

"Are you okay?" Sera stopped and ran to his side

"Yeah I guess I should have been paying more attention." he whined.

-

The day went on as usual. Sera sat through her English Literature class and was ready to go down to the gun range to practice. The professor had invited Jooheon, an upperclassmen, to come to their class and help out the students.

The students each praticed on their own individual booths. Sera tried her best to remember everything that she learned from the professor and apply it. Jooheon came around and stopped when he noticed her struggling. "You need help there, rookie?" 

Sera shook her head "No, I think I just need to keep practicing" 

Jooheon sat back and watched her shoot, each time barely making it on the target. "Your form is all off"

She looked confused "My form?"

"Don't stand with your feet together, keeping them apart helps with your balance" 

Sera shifted her feet "Like this?"

"Yeah" Jooheon scratched his head "Why are you holding it like that?"

"I was just holding it the way the professor was"

He chuckled a bit "The professor is left-handed. It's not going to be easy to mimic him." Jooheon took the gun from her hands and showed her how to hold it the right handed way. "Like this see?"

She had to admit he look cool holding a gun. "Okay" 

Jooheon handed her the gun and helped her move her hands into the correct position. "Now aim and the target and shoot and let's see how you do"

Sera took a deep breath and focused on the target. Pulling the trigger, she fired her gun and hit right in the middle of the target. Her eyes widened in shock, and so did Jooheons. "I did it! Did you see that!?" Sera was jumping up and down in excitment. She was so excited she jumped on Jooheon and gave him a quick hug.

He blushed, but tried to coolly shrug it off. "Don't get too excited, could just be a lucky shot"

"You're right. I should keep practicing. Thanks for your help"

"Anytime" Jooheon walked away trying to hide the fact that his face was growing as red as his hair.

-

After Sera finished changing into her work out clothes, she went out to the rock wall that was just past the field. When she got there, there was already a crowd forming around the rock wall. The rock wall was made off actual rock and was very steep. There were a few ropes tied to the top for begginers but there weren't any harnesses. 

Sera quickly made her way over to the crowd to see what all the commotion was about. "Hyungwon, what's going on?"

He let out a short laugh "that" he pointed up at a kid hanging off the wall. He was barely holding on and didn't have a rope anywhere near him. If he fell he would surely break something.

"Why are you laughing?" She practically yelled at him.

"Because it's funny"

"He could fall! Shouldn't we help him?" Sera looked around, the coach hadn't arrived yet and all of her classmates were just watching the boy struggle.

"Oh c'mon, he'll be fine. Besides, everyone's on their own here" 

Sera couldn't believe how he was acting "What if that was you up there?" she didn't wait for an answer. Instead she pushed past the crowd and grabbed hold to one of the ropes.

"Sera, what are you doing?" Hyungwon called after her.

She just ignored him and tied the rope around her waist. Next, she put one foot on the wall and started to climb. Once up a few feet she looked down. Her classmates were no longer laughing, more like inticipating what she would do. She could see the coach and the student asistants running over in the distance. There was no turning back for Sera, she had to keep climbing. 

"Just hang in there" Sera yelled to the boy.

"Wasn't planning on letting go" He called back.

Once Sera was caught up to him, she helped pull him onto a ledge. The boy wasn't scared like she expected. He looked more embarrased than anything. From the ledge she could see the coach standing there at the bottom with her arms crossed. "Do you think she's angry?"

"At you? No." he admitted "I shouldn't have started climbing without anyone spotting me"

"Why did you start climbing?"

He shrugged "It was a dare"

-

Once Sera was back on the ground the coach asked to talk to her in the gym. "Sera"

"Yes coach" Sera was feeling nervous.

"Look up there" The coach pointed to the leader board. 

Sera looked up at the names "The top 20"

The coach smiled "And?"

Sera looked back at the board. She didn't understand what she was trying to infer. Then she saw her own name listed at the very bottom next to number 20. "Oh my!" Sera looked at the coach "How?"

"You're showing drastic improvement. Plus that little stunt you just pulled showed off was quite the rescue mission. You showed a lot of bravery"

Sera was astounded. "Wow, thank you"

"Don't thank me, you're the one that did it"

-

Sera came out of the gym and joined the other students. They were all lined up waiting for their turn to climb the rock wall. Sera stood in the back of the line, patienly waiting her turn.

"That was one stunt you just pulled." Kihyun nudged her.

"I just don't understand why everyone was so willing to let him fall rather than help him out"

"Most of the people here have an everyone-for-themselves mindset. It's terrible, I know, but it's just how it is."

Sera watched the students waiting in line in front of her. Instead of cheering one another on, they just sat there, waiting. 

"But if you want to keep up your momentum, you're going to need to keep training"

"What do you mean?" She turned to look at him.

"If you want to stay in the top 20, or even improve, you're going to need to start seriously training" Kihyun kept a stern expression "And you'll probably need a trainer, now I could train you, but I'm going to need something in return"

"And what's that?"

A smiled cracked on his face. "A favor"

-

After class was over, Sera met with Kihyun on the field to start their first day of 1on1 training. "Alright coach" she joked "What first?"

Kihyun pointed at the obstacle course "The wall"

Sera's mouth dropped. "Seriously?" That wall still haunted her dreams.

"It's not that hard" He fibbed "Just think of it as wall jumping in a game of Mario"

Sera laughed at his joke.

"C'mon, I'll show you" Kihyun stood at the foot of the wall. He backed up a few steps an jumped onto the wall. Using his feet he somehow made it to the top and threw his body to the other side.

"Yeah...not that hard" Sera scratched her head.

"Now you try" he told her.

Sera stood a few feet from the wall to get a running start and made a jump. She missed and fell on her . "Ow" she whinned.

"Keep trying" He encouraged her.

She tried again and again, but still couldn't make it. After the twentieth time she started loosing hope.

"If you want to give up you can, but just wish the top 20 goodbye" Kihyun told her.

Those words fueled her and convinced her to keep on trying. She tried another ten times but still no luck, but she was indeed getting closer. 

"Looks like we're already late for dinner" Kihyun looked at his watch "Do you want to stop to eat?"

Sera shook her head. "I'm not giving up, I can do this"

Kihyun stood back and let her keep trying.

Finally, she got enough momentum to get on the wall. Hanging there with her hands clentched on the top, she used all her strength to pull her body up and hurl it over. She landed on her back, causing her to wince in pain. 

Kihyun walked over and stood over her. "That was really good" he held out his hand "Now let's see you do it again"