Attachment Issues and Taxidermy

Be Prepared

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Not Good, Kai thought to himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He was holding a glass of martini, stirring the content slowly as if the gunshots around him were nothing serious.

 

The bottle of the said liquor which was placed right next to him was suddenly shot out of nowhere, bursting the content everywhere and knocking a photo frame down the table but Kai paid no heed to it and stared blankly ahead.

 

The place was like a warzone with dead bodies scattered everywhere and blood pooling at every corner. Kai ducked his head just time when a body was thrown to his direction, breaking the glass cabinet behind him. He gave the limp body a look of disgust before looking back to the occurring battle in front while taking a sip of his drink.

 

“I’m bored”, he whispered.

 

 

 

Kai looked around the place carefully, seeping every nook and cranny of the office. He was currently sitting on a huge table, maybe belonging to the owner of this office that is probably hiding somewhere behind the huge bookcase.

Kai searched every drawer, every cupboard, even searching in a safe deposit box behind the huge painting. He turned this place into a total shipwreck but the contract was still not seen anywhere.

 

The young boss saw a figure standing up from behind the bookcase at the end of the room from his peripheral vision and without a doubt Kai pulled out his gun and took a precise shot right on the figure’s head. Thanking God that it wasn’t spraying blood everywhere, Kai took his time walking towards the dead body he shot just now and dropped his drink on the way.

 

 

He inspects the body, looking for anything odd or out of place from the dead man. He pulled out a handkerchief from his jeans pocket and used it to lift the man’s bloodied hand.

 

The man was not as old as Kai had suspected but there were a few strands of grey hairs among his neatly combed hair. Kai noticed him as Nam Joohyeok, the smart strategist for his rival’s company. So Kai felt somehow proud, ousting a possible threat to his organization’s well being.

 

 

 

Then Kai spotted it, a ring on the man’s ring finger.

 

He’s married.

 

 

Kai smiled happily, mentally doing a victory dance in his head. One of his men came up to him looking tired out from the rigorous fight with a few scratches on his face.

 

“Sir, we have ‘cleaned’ out the whole floor. But we need to get out from this place in less than 5 minutes before their back up come. Some members from their security squad are coming to get you.”

 

“Come on, L.Joe. Don’t be such a party pooper and relax a bit. Ask the boys to get ready to leave and you can ask Chen to hurry his sorry here before I shove a pole down his throat. Make sure to clearly tell him that it’s the 47th floor, I don’t want to jump 20 floors down this building like last time.” Kai patted his shoulder and strutted back to the table he was sitting on before.

 

“Yes sir,” L.Joe answered.

 

Fortunately for Kai, none of his men are dead or injured badly so the operation is considered a huge success especially when he found out where his most wanted contract is.

 

There was an annoying pounding of the security alarm and Kai could hear heavy footstep running to the office. He picked up a fallen photo frame near his foot and stared at it fondly. This was his favorite part of the mission: the part where he wins.

 

A little girl with freckles on her chubby cheeks and beautiful blue eyes was grinning happily in the photograph while hugging a bunny doll tightly in her tiny arms. Her bright blonde hair braided neatly and clipped with a flower pin as an accessory.  Kai brushed away all the broken fragments of glass and pulled out the photo carefully.

 

True to what he thought, Kai found the contract papers folded neatly beneath the little girl’s picture. He decided to keep both the picture and contract and shoved it to his pocket.

 

The door was suddenly kicked open and Kai only welcomed the men who were ready to kill him with an attractive smirk. They were all wearing attires that were too similar to SWAT clothing complete with the dark shades and helms.

 

“Hello boys,” he said with a mocking tone and those guys walked closer to him warily while pointing their guns at him. Kai’s crews did the same while positioning their aim and were ready for another battle when all of them heard a rather loud and annoying sound.

 

 

Ah ah, mic test 1, 2, 1, 2. Is it working?” The voice was emitted from the loud audio enhancer from the helipad right outside the building. The sound of the propeller gets louder as the helipad gets nearer to the building.  The helipad shoots some blinding lights towards the 47th floor and made some of them squint their eyes. Thank God it was night so it wasn’t terribly obvious that a helipad was flying above the center of the city when most people are still busy getting home from work.

 

 

 

Kai turned around to face the ceiling-to-floor glass window with a scowl on his face. He held unto his earpiece and screamed, “YOU ARE FREAKING LATE, CHEN!”

 

“Sorry boss, there was a big sale at the market. Don’t want to let Xiumin beat me up again,” Chen replied with a sheepish smile while maneuvering his ride. “Move aside people, meatballs coming through.”

 

As soon as he said those words, Kai jumped to the side and his men did the same. Those SWAT wannabes was utterly confused and stayed very still now aiming their weapon at Chen who was smiling suspiciously at them behind the 45-cm thick glass window. Chen released his favorite item in the heli with a light heart, the machine guns.

 

 

So to make it super quick, the glass (of course) shattered to tiny billion pieces and those kids from MLE (it’s the name of the group Kai infiltrated) don’t stand a chance against the monster weapon. Kai and his pupils escaped the place before MLE’s back up arrive to roast their asses and Kai got what he wanted. The contract is now in his hands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So now, you are telling me that you are late because you were in a brawl with some gangster who was trying to kill you and you barely escaped the place with some sort of a contract? Is that it?”

 

“Yep.”

 

 

“Do you expect me to believe that,” Minhee glared at the man in front of her. “You kept me waiting here for the last hour and I didn’t even get an apology for it and you are making excuses up.”

 

Kai quirked an eyebrow, “I was almost dead you know. My 6 men and I are facing more than half of our number with full ammunition ready to blow my head up. Please be somehow thankful that I still remembered you and your stupid meeting.” He crossed his hands and couldn’t stop but flinch when he felt something stings on his forearm, probably another shard of glass scratched him. Thankfully Baekhyun was a persistent style diva and forced Kai to wear a black leather jacket before coming here. Now he doesn’t look like a psycho with blood stains on his T-shirt sleeves.

 

They were now standing in the lobby of a magnificent looking hotel. Kai couldn’t help but think that the meeting was too petty to even be held in a 5-star hotel like this. And what kind of a fan meeting would be held nearing midnight?

There was a diamond chandelier hanging above their heads and Kai wanted to run away because it looked like it was going to fall any second.

 

Minhee gave him an exasperated look and flailed her arms in the air like a retard. “YUNHO OPPA IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR LIFE. I MISSED THE FAN MEETING BECAUSE YOU FREAKING TOLD ME WE COULD GET A VIP ACCESS AND YOU HAD CONECTIONS AND STUFF BUT YOU LEFT ME STANDING IN THE DARK SEEING YUNHO OPPA WALKED PASS ME AND I COULDN’T EVEN SAY HI TO HIM. MY LIFE.”

 

The girl was now running to the water fountain in the middle of the luxurious lobby and pretended to weep over her unluckiness that she missed to attend TVXQ’s fan meeting. She received many weird glances from the hotel employees and guests.

 

“I don’t know her,” Kai said when a bell boy was about to ask him about Minhee.

 

 

Kai waited patiently, telling himself that she’ll go back to normal in sometime around now. A few seconds later Minhee was running to Kai with wide grin on her face. She grabbed his arm and pulled him out from the grand hotel. She hailed a cab and was literally jumping in her seat. Kai stared at her whilst grumbling under his breath, “what the hell is wrong with you. One minute you were crying like a hormonal pregnant lady and the next second you’re a happy-go-lucky puppy that craves for her master’s attention. What is wrong with your head?” He knocked her head twice and looked out from the window.

 

Minhee froze for a millisecond with smile faltering before cracking a wide grin to cover it up. She paid no mind to Kai’s previous statement and told the taxi driver the address they were heading to.

 

15 minutes later they both arrived in front of one of the tallest building in Seoul’s business district, the JKCB tower. It was closing to midnight but the tower was still brightly lit like a 24-hour mart. The girl took the decency to pull a sulking Kai and entered the building together. It wasn’t really surprising to see workers still wandering around the place as they provide some sort of a dorm for the workers to stay overnight if they want.

 

Instead of going to the elevator on the right side of the building where everybody uses, Minhee led Kai towards a door on the left wing of the floor.

 

Once inside, a tall man wearing a complete suit and tie attire greeted them with a bow. Kai gave him a nod of acknowledgement and pulled his own hand from Minhee. The room was small, with only a lamp lighting it. A comfortable looking chair was placed inside for the guard to sit on when he felt tired by guarding the room the whole day. Kai pushed another door open behind the guard and Minhee quietly followed like a chick following the mother hen.

 

There was nothing extraordinary about the room they are in right now, to be specific you can barely see anything inside because it was completely dark, you can’t see anything.

While the door behind them shut completely, a long horizontal laser light showed up from the floor. The green laser moved up slowly, analyzing each part of their physical appearance.

 

Body scan completed,” a robotic sound echoed in the room.

 

A small blue light appeared a few steps away from Minhee and Kai. A short pole, reaching the height of Kai’s waist emerged from the ground. They walked nearer to the source of light.

Please put your finger on the scanner.”

Both of them did so according to the robotic command. Kai put his finger first on top of the said pole and Minhee followed suit. The source of light suddenly went out and the pole retreated back to the floor.

“Fingerprint scan completed.”

 

 

“Do I really have to take the next test?” Minhee moaned tiredly, trying her best to find Kai and began shaking his body once she managed to find the said man.

“Yes, you are the one who wanted to come here in the first place. I’m merely here because you forced me to.”

 

 

Minhee scowled in the dark and began badmouthing Kai discreetly.

 

Please look up from your position,” the same robotic sound said. The girl begrudgingly followed the instruction and angled her head up. Glancing to the man beside her, Kai was already angling his head up and looking as bored as ever with his usual ‘I-don’t-give-a- damn’ face. After heaving a deep sigh, she opened her eyes as big as possible.  A red laser light appeared and scanned their eyes simultaneously.

Retina check completed. Welcome KAI and JUNG. MIN.HEE.”

 

Kai stood still as the room shook for a few seconds while listening to the girl’s ever so miserable groaning.

“MY BLOODY EYES, GOODDAMMIT,” she screamed while clutching her precious eyes and began rubbing soothing circles on her eyelid. Kai snickered at the side, “serves you right.”

 

Soon the door behind them opened once again and welcomed them with bright lights.

 

Kai walked ahead and was welcomed with generous bows from anyone he met on the way out from the dark room. Minhee soon followed and stayed close to Kai incase she’s lost because they are now in level 26 below ground which means this is Kai’s lair, his favorite maze. Anyone who doesn’t know their way around would be lost and that is why Kai generously put a map on each pillars for directory. The 26th floor (underground) was huge, I mean, you can’t see the end or walls cornering the place. The place doesn’t look like it was 600-700 meters below earth surface with bright lights everywhere and LED TV placed by every 7 meters showing varieties of channels (there was even Disney Channel). Minhee’s sneakers skid noisily on the white shining tiles and Kai gave her a menacing look.

 

 

What makes this place different from the upper level?

Those people working up there, typing away in their computer screens, dealing with customers and writing contracts are normal people that only know that they are working for a normal 58 years old businessman and their job is to do what he says which is normal and get paid with legal money for it. While down here, people are working to get information from other triads, trained for battles and they absolutely know that the 58 years old businessman does not exist because Kai made that up. So yeah, up there is unicorns and rainbows, being a distraction so that no one would suspect that an underground triad is happening down below and down here is simply illegal and supposed to be secret.  Know what I’m saying? No? Okay, never mind.

 

 

 

The place was divided by statuses (hierarchy). Kai’s private room, where he first met Minhee, was at the other end of the floor, opposite of the dark room which happens to be a secret elevator. Area nearer to the elevator belongs to ‘Sapphires’ group. Minhee always wondered what ‘Sapphire’ means but Kai forced her to keep mum and said he would explain soon. Conclusion is, the lower level gets the nearest place to elevator, the higher will get further. It doesn’t really make any sense but what Kai wants Kai gets.

Both of them went pass the ‘Sapphire’ area in 10 minutes which is probably taking too long.

 

“So,” Kai started. “Where exactly are we going?”

Minhee was out of breath by now, she was not really used to walking this fast and this far. Even her classes at university are not this far away. So she heaved a really deep breath and stared at Kai with a smile, “Baekhyun’s lab.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun’s lab is too far so Kai decided to ride on his mini golf cart to travel there because heck it was tiring even for the man who created and owned this place. And now he is reconsidering why he let Minhee drove the said vehicle because they had bumped more than 15 tables, 9 innocent workers, and 7 trash cans.

“Why are we going to Baek’s lab again?”

“Oh, he said he made a new gadget and said I could be the first person to try it.” Minhee answered while focusing on the straight lane she had to pass through.

 

“Is that why you’re being a happy puppy?”

 

“Yes, it’s better than sulking over Yunho oppa whom I wasn’t able to meet.”

 

“Why do I have to come along?”

 

“Nice question, I don’t know either. Just tag along princey, it’ll be fun.”

 

Kai grumbled and sunk deeper into his seat while trying his best not to break his neck on the way.

 

 

So they made it safely to Baekhyun’s place after nearly crashing into Xiumin’s fridge (yeah, Kai let Xiumin keep his own fridge next to his office). Minhee pranced her way inside the lab and was greeted by an equally excited Baekhyun. He was wearing sort of a lab coat but Kai told everyone that his job doesn’t include chemical substances and his job is nearly harmless.

“Hi sweetheart, what took you so long?” he said while opening his arms wide and enveloped Minhee with a hug. Kai faked vomiting at the corner while closing the door behind him and his attention was taken by a small tube-like object on top of a white table in the middle of the huge enclosed room. Baekhyun is not really great with interior designs so all the things in his lab are white which reminded Kai of the hospital.

“What is that?” Kai pointed to the object.

 

“Hello to you too Mr. Kai, glad you could make it. And I’m quite happy that you made it out alive,” the shorter male mused.

 

“Thank you for your concern but Baek I’m serious.”

 

“Fine,” Baekhyun huffed and took the object from the table and offering it to Minhee who was standing behind him. She took it gratefully and inspects it before frowning, “it’s a torchlight.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head, “no no no no, dearie. This,” he gesture with his hands, “is a flashlight.” Kai almost facepalmed and decided to keep quiet because he knows Baekhyun is actually smart. “Try turning it on and point it there,” he pointed to the left where he already prepared a rectangular glass. “Try not directing it to your eyes.” He laughed devilishly.

 

“It is 50 cm long, 30 cm wide, 40 cm thick. Remember the numbers and Kai, could you please once be a darling and count the time once the light hits the glass,” Baekhyun said and turned off the lights to the room.

 

Minhee followed Baekhyun’s instruction and the flashlight with a flick of her finger. Nothing strange, well actually not yet. Kai looked at his wrist watch with a very bored expression.

 …4, 5, 6, 7,   he mentally counted.

 

And that’s when it starts, the glass was slowly melting and droplets of liquid fell on the floor. The melted droplets on the floor quickly morphed back into a solid state of glass. Minhee gaped at the sight and turned off the said gadget. Now there was a hole on the rectangular glass where the light hits it.

 

Baekhyun clapped his hands in glee, “YAYYYY! I did it.” He turned the lights back on and Kai must say that he is impressed.

 

“Wow Baek! You outdid yourself this time, this is so coooolll!!” Minhee jumped up and down excitedly before sharing a hug with the male. She then made her way to Kai and shook the flashlight in front of his face.

 

Kai pushed her hand away like she was an annoying fly. Baekhyun saw them interact to each other from a distance and feel somehow nostalgic. He pitied Minhee, then he pitied Kai, then he pitied Sehun, then he pitied himself, then he pitied Jungkook, then he pitied Kai again and he pitied Jungkook again.

None of this should have happened in the first place and fate is clearly playing with everyone.

 

He saw Kai barely maintaining his stoic face as the girl grumbled angrily at him for something he said and to be completely honest Baekhyun thought her face is ridiculous. The edges of Kai’s lips are tugging upwards and it wasn’t a bad sight to see, the shorter male had to admit. He decided to break them from their little bubble, “Minhee, I’m giving it to you.”

 

It caught the girl off-guard. She blinked twice then took a peak at Kai’s face as if asking for his permission. Kai nodded beside her and she squealed excitedly before attacking Baekhyun into a bear hug, “thank you thank you thank you thank you!”

 

“Remember, it only works on glass. Concrete or other materials cannot be destroyed with it.” Baekhyun gave her a friendly reminder. While Minhee was doing her usual routine of doing a happy dance whenever she is ecstatic, Baekhyun made his way to Kai, “we need to talk.”

The younger nodded.

 

“Michelle,” Kai called. Minhee immediately stopped her celebration and frowned. The male knew Minhee hated her name and that’s the only way to stop her. “Go wait in my office and I’ll catch up with you in a minute.”

 

She scowled, “but your room is boring.”

 

“Am I not paying for your student loans?”

 

“I will wait patiently in your room, your majesty.”

 

 

 

She walked out of the door of the room after bidding Baekhyun bye and snatching away the cart’s keys from Kai with a victorious smirk.

 

Kai watched her leave with a smile and that doesn’t go unnoticed by the older male. Baekhyun pulled out two stools from out of nowhere and motioned Kai to take a seat.

“Kai, how’s your mission?”He opened a common conversation topic.

 

Kai pulled out a contract and a photograph from his pocket and offered it to Baekhyun. The older of them both stared at it for a while and gave Kai a questioning gaze. “Ask Xiumin to run some facial recognition on that girl and give me the reports tomorrow.” Kai murmured.

 

Baekhyun could only nod. But his main objective was not on the mission or the MLE, he didn’t give a single damn about that. His priority is Kai.

 

“So….” Baekhyun said slowly. “Are you feeling okay?”

 

 

But Kai noticed Baekhyun’s uneasiness, “Cut to the point Baek, I know you have other things in mind and you don’t really care about MLE. Spill it out.”

 

“You are getting attached,” he said warily. Kai didn’t reply immediately.

 

“With who? With that girl? You thought I was getting attached with Minhee? Are you serious?”

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath, “you know you can’t get attached once you enter this game right? This is not her place. She will leave one day whether you let her go to her own freedom or dead in others’ hands. You’ll suffer again Kai.”

 

“She’s like a pet to me, Baek. I am not attached to her!” Kai was already standing up when Baekhyun pulled his hand down to sit back on his seat.

 

“See, this is what I’m talking about. Your emotions are running wild and I don’t want you to act rash. You need me to remind you about Monggu? Monggu was shot, you loved it too much, you freaking mummify it and put it in your office. I am always scared to enter your damn office because as if it was looking at me with its dead eyes.”

 

“It’s not mummified, idiot. It’s called taxidermy and the scientists under Suho’s department did a damn well job preserving the curled furs.”

 

“That’s beside the point –“

 

“I know you mean well but honestly I am not attached to her. She’s just a pet because seeing her isn’t boring for my already boring life.”

 

“Your life involves gunfights, combats, and dealing with mafias around the world. It is not boring.” Baekhyun deadpanned.

Kai shook his head and walked straight to the door because right now Baekhyun is talking nonsense. Before he walked out, Baekhyun managed to utter, “remember about Soojung, Kai. Remember about Jungkook’s sadness. I don’t want to let you go through that kind of pain anymore.”

 

Kai didn’t answer and just left.

 

Baekhyun sighed and searched for his phone. Sometimes Kai is too stubborn for his own good. He can’t even see the look in his own eyes whenever his so called ‘pet’ is around him.

Baekhyun dialed a number and encrypted the call so that the conversation wouldn’t be planted by other people.

 

Hello?”

 

“Sehun, it’s me Baekhyun.”

 

 

“Look, if you’re calling to ask me buy another box of eyeliner, I’m going to end this call right now.”

 

 

“Shut up dip. It’s about Kai and his attachment issues.” Baekhyun could hear a groan from the other end of the line.

 

 

“What now? Don’t tell me Monggu somehow came back from the dead.”

 

 

“No, but he is getting really chummy with Minhee. He kept on denying that he likes her company and told me that she is just his pet or something. I know he’s somehow interested because she’s not like the rest of us and disobey almost whatever Kai says. And somehow I pity you right now.”

 

“Oh, dammit.”

 

 

“Yeah. History is going to repeat.”

 

 

“Just call me when the time comes and I’ll be bringing 3 packages of soju to his place. Nothing beats alcohol. And what are we going to do with poor Kookie? I’m suddenly concerned for that boy.”

 

 

“I don’t know. Just keep doing your work and don’t tell anyone yet. This is supposed to be a secret so shut your big mouth. Anyway see you at training.”

 

Baekhyun ended the phone call and threw his phone carelessly on the table. Baekhyun loves Minhee, he really does. She’s like the girl-nextdoor everyone had and Baekhyun loves her like a real brother but he doesn’t want Kai to go through the same painful thing, twice. So for the time being, the brunette had no other choice but to watch over them from afar and make sure nothing will go wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

this was supposed to be updated on 1st Jan but im a lazy so yeah