Baits and Cheating

Be Prepared

 

 

 

“Kai?”

 

 

The said man hummed lazily in reply.

 

 

“Why are we running away?”

 

 

Kai‘s ears perked at the sudden question but kept his hands on the steering wheel with his utmost concentration and picked up some pace. “We are not running away,” he comments while turning on the car’s wiper as tiny droplets of water hit the car’s glass and its getting hard to see the road with the water rippling against it.

“Then why are we driving over the limit?”

 

“Well, because it’s fun. Adrenaline rush of some sort.”

 

“But why is that black Mercedes kept on tailing us? It’s been like 2 hours since you picked me up from the university and they are not changing course from the start so they must be following us. Are they trying to kill you or something?”

 

Kai smirked at the question and shrugged. The radio was blasting some hard rock music but both of them are too lazy to reach out and change the channel even though the obnoxious electric guitar and drum beats were really irritating. Minhee, who was sitting beside Kai, crossed her leg with a sour face. She wanted to go to a stopping area to do her business but the male behind the wheel is not going to make that needed stop and that means she need to hold it in and pretend that her bladder is made of steel. So she stared out from the window and saw stretches of grass fields that passed by in a blink. They were heading towards the outskirts of town, skyscrapers are no longer in sight and exchanged with some natural landscape.

 

It was quiet between the both of them for awhile.

 

 

Not before a gunshot was heard and Kai flicked his eyes towards the rear mirror.

 

“Don’t tell me that they start shooting.” She mumbled.

 

 

“Sorry to ruin your day but yes, one of them is holding a shot gun out from the window to shoot us down. But fret not my love, my dearest jaguar is bulletproof.”

 

Minhee groaned out loud and slumped into her fluffy seat. She crossed her arms and closed her eyes in effort to block out the rest of gunshots behind them.

“Are you okay? Are you perhaps scared? This is the first time I have seen you so pissed off.” Kai took a glance at the girl beside him while changing his gear to speed up.

 

 

“I’m fine and not scared. And don’t talk to me for a while, I’m tired. So could you please be a nice driver and let me sleep without moving the car too much, that would be really great thank you.” After saying that, Minhee rested her head on the window and dozed off in a matter of seconds. Kai could only gag at her incredulously, “why am I not surprised? Still ignorant as ever.”

 He then fixed his eyes on the road ahead. It could be really slippery for both the speeding cars because it was pouring right at this moment but Kai is never the one who plays safe. So he changed his gears, stepped onto the pedal harder and zoomed across the empty street with multiple shots following close to his own car. This race is going to take a while.

 

 

 

 

----

 

2 hours earlier

 

 

It was a very gloomy day for everyone. The sky was so dark even when it was still around 1 in the afternoon. Minhee grumbled under her breath as she took heavy steps out from the grand building which happened to be the place everyone calls university. She trudges blindly, not paying any mind to whoever she bumped in the way (and does not apologize) and set her focus towards the exit gate. Her morning classes had ended quite early today with not much learning done, which was the only good news she had, but she was called to the principal’s office after the lectures were finished to handle some ‘issues’ that ended up longer than she had thought and forced her to miss lunch. And also, the administration staff had reminded her to pay off the tuition for the semester.

Minhee wonders why she even enrolled to a stupid university when she can work part time job and earn money without those loans and bills pulling her down.

 

With a determined gaze, she walked past the wide lawn at the front of the university building and finally set foot on the gate of happiness, the exit. All she wanted to do now is to stay at home, drink a cup of hot milo, hide beneath the comforts of her blanket, watch sappy kdramas and weep her eyes out in the process. Her boss at the chicken restaurant was out of town so she was not going to deliver any, and of course not to mention the laundry ahjumma’s son is getting married today so she is not going to attend the job either.

This is going to be the best, no-job, free-of-stress day for Minhee and she isn’t going to let anything ruin it.

 

Except for the part where the whole university gate was blocked with hundreds of college girls crowding in that particular place for no good reason. Minhee stood on her tippy toes and jumped a few times to see what the commotion was about and caught a glimpse of a devilish red Jaguar parked beautifully by the side of the road, just right outside the gate. There was a figure leaning against the said car that made the girls somehow intrigued but Minhee paid no mind and squirmed her way out among the sea of people to go home and finally rest.

 

Today might be one of the worst days in her life so she could only sigh in relief once she made it out alive from the mass of human and walked slowly along the pavement because right now, the only thing that could comfort her is a nice nap so she made it her goal to reach the apartment in less than half an hour.

The girl hugged the jacket closer to herself as the wind was especially harsh on this particular afternoon. She was about to turn left at a corner when a hand gripped her shoulder tightly.

 

“Damn,” the figure said with uneven breath. “I kept on calling your name and you didn’t even budge. I wonder what’s wrong with your head.”

 

If it weren’t for the familiar voice, Minhee would have landed a good uppercut on the person’s jaw. She turned around to find Kai, smiling at her with his pearly white teeth showing. Clouded with suspicion, she asked, “why are you here? And why are you smiling like you knew something I don’t?”

 

The male shrugged without giving her a decent answer and took the decency to hold her wrist and drag her tired body towards a red Jaguar.

 

Oh so the car belongs to Kai, no wonder.

 

The crowd who were watching the whole ordeal began murmuring amongst themselves, creating new gossip.

Kai opened the door for her and Minhee gave him a subtle glare before entering the car closing the door by herself. Kai ran to the other side of the car and made himself comfortable in his own seat behind the steering wheel.

 

“Great, now the whole school knows that I am related to you,” Minhee rubbed her forehead in a tired manner.

“Isn’t it great? Being related to a dashing, hot, badass, rich guy is something to be proud of. “

 

“Did you just call yourself dashing and hot in the same sentence?”

 

 

Kai chuckled and started the engine. The crowd moved back to avoid being ran over by the sport car when Kai made the said vehicle accelerate in no time.

 

“Did you just kidnap me?”

 

“Well, in some sort, yes. Yes I am,” the male cheerily replied and whistled some weird tune. Minhee heaved a really deep sigh and try not to pounce on the guy sitting next to her. Kai noticed the permanent frown on her face but said nothing and weaved between cars on the crowded street expertly. He took a glance of his rear mirror and found the car of his rivaling triad following right behind.

 

Just in time.

 

 

 

----

 

It was nearing 5 pm and the rain does not show any sign of stopping as the water poured endlessly without mercy. Minhee is still peacefully asleep in her seat, sometimes shifting to a more comfortable position and snoring in the way. Kai would sneak a glance or two at her sleeping figure once in a while, and avoiding the shots from the back skillfully.

Suddenly a blaring ringtone erupted.

Minhee flinched.

 

No, Kai is not in the mood to handle a moody and grumpy young woman who had just woken up from her nap.

 

And then she groaned in distaste.

Kai’s eyes widen by half a centi.

“,” he cursed out loud and rummaged through Minhee’s bag aimlessly with his free hand and steadies the steering wheel with the other. The girl was mumbling something incoherent while Kai gets more flustered with every ring of the phone.

He found a pretty weird-looking Nokia with an even weird-looking doll hanging from the phone. He quickly picked up the incoming call to avoid the grumpy riser (Kai knew she would probably ruin his poor car if she woke up by the call).

 

“Hello.”

 

“Hello, we are from Daehak University and this is Principal Nam. Is this perhaps Ms. Jung Minhee?”

 

 

“Well, no. But I am her guardian. Is there a problem at school?” Kai answered uneasily.

 

“We would like to apologize sincerely on our mistake and we hope that Ms. Jung would forgive us. It is my mistake that the incident went out of hand. After checking the CCTV recording, it is proven that Minhee-ssi is not guilty.”

 

Kai frowned. CCTV? Guilty?

 

Before he could utter a reply, 3 other Mercedes showed up from the rear mirror, picking up their pace to catch up to Kai’s speed. The man rolled his eyes, “I’m sorry but I’m afraid that I had no clear idea about the whole ordeal you have been talking about. Minhee rarely talks about her problems and tend to keep it to herself. Could you please tell me what’s going on?”

 

The red Jaguar sped up as Kai spotted machine guns propped up on top of the three cars and they look like they are not kidding around. The line went silent for a while and Kai was losing his temper.

 

“Ah, you must be Jung Minhee’s relative, Mr...”

 

“Call me Kai. Just get to the topic I don’t have much time.”

 

“Sorry mister Kai, as I was saying, this morning Jung Minhee’s class was having their test in the auditorium. After some time, a student who was sitting right next to Minhee claimed that she was cheating on the test. The student was very convincing towards the teacher and so Minhee was immediately excluded from the ongoing exam and was called to my office. Minhee was not allowed to participate in Professor Kim’s classes the whole week as punishment. But later on, another student came up to the teacher and reported that Minhee did no such thing. After checking the footages from the CCTV, Jung Minhee did the test fair and square. We will give disciplinary actions for the said student who accused Minhee without solid proof.”

 

The other 4 cars behind Kai’s Jaguar began shooting like there was no tomorrow. The young man could feel his seat vibrating with every bullet shot. This is not going to end well.

 

“Thanks for telling, glad you cleared her name up. Make sure none of this would happen again or else. I’m quite busy, gotta go, bye.”

Kai ended the call by pressing various buttons on the 3x4 matrix keypad abruptly. He is worried right now. Yes, his car is quite bulletproof and but he is still worried nonetheless. The numerous bullets had made a permanent crack on his window. The three other cars were completely a surprise he wasn’t expecting.  He is not scared about being shot in the middle of nowhere or being captured but… Minhee, he is worried about her safety. He may not voice it out but he felt uneasy whenever she is out of his sight. The probability of her dying is higher now that most of his rival gangs had found out that she is part of his triad. Suddenly his rearview mirror was destroyed into millions of pieces with precise shot.

 

Minhee woke up. “What was that?”
She rubbed her eyes tiredly in attempt to get rid of the remaining sleepiness.

 

“Another shot, nothing much. You can go back to sleep if you want,” Kai mumbled absentmindedly, knuckles turning white by holding on to the wheel too tight. The Nokia rang again, this time with a different tone from the previous call.

Minhee took her time answering and pressed the phone to her ears without looking at the recipient. Her face was rather irritated more than anything, Kai noted by the furrowed eyebrows on her face.

 

“Hi Kookie.”

 

Kai managed to avoid an incoming bazooka with mind still clouded with questions like ‘why the hell is Jungkook calling her in the middle of a mission?’ Or ‘why is she calling my Jungkook like that?’

 

“Put it on speaker,” Kai demanded to which Minhee obeyed right away. She pressed some buttons and Jungkook’s voice was loud and clear. Nokia is not that bad anyway.

 

“Where are you?” Jungkook’s tone was normal, like usual. But the background sound was far from peaceful with gunshots and shouts heard. There were sounds that similar to girls shrieking and glass breaking, and also not to mention grunts and groans of pain.

 

Minhee quirked a questioning eyebrow and glanced at the GPS before answering, “a few kilometers away from Seoul. Wait, it’s nearing Goyang now. Why?”

 

“I couldn’t locate you on my phone and that means you are quite far from me.” There was a sound of grunts and bones breaking. “Are you travelling?” Jungkook was heaving a deep breath, probably stillf exhausted by the combat and Minhee snorted at him.

The conversation continued like that with Jungkook’s constant questions and Minhee’s annoyed replies, a promise to eat out together after he finish the mission and a bet to see who can win Mario Kart on Xbox. Kai could only listen while holding the urge to pull out a gun and shoot randomly at the cars behind him.

Finally Kai snapped, “HEY JUNGKOOK!”

 

“Oh hey, hyung! Are you okay? Are the cars still following you?”

 

“Yes, I am still alive. I freaking drove around South Korea for 3 hours not for you to play around and let me get roasted by idiots. Now would you go do your job properly before I turn hulk like last time and destroy anything around me. I’m giving you 4 minutes.”

 

“Give us 5 minutes and I will sweep up the whole building for you.”

 

“Four and a half minutes, now move it soldier,” the boss replied before snatching away the phone from Minhee’s hold. He opened the window and threw the phone out. The continuous gunshots were loud as the window was lowered and Minhee stared at Kai’s now empty hand that had once held her precious phone.

Her jaw was dropped, hand reaching out to nothing. “How could you,” she whispered. “She is my baby, my only sunshine. I saved up for the last 4 years for that piece of gold. I’m not a rich brat like you so I can’t just throw my phone out of the window when I feel bored of it. Now my precious N70 would probably be dead.  Jeez Kai, my hard earned phone, dammit.”

Kai rolled his eyes.  “Since when are you close with Jungkook?’

 

“Shut up. I’m mourning the death of my phone.”

 

 

“I’ll buy a new phone later, that one was already implanted with bug. Now answer me.”

 

 

Minhee grumbled under her breath and glared at the pouring rain ahead. “Since his teammates mentioned that he is actually the same age as me and I felt guilty for kicking him in the jewels the first time we met. You know, people are actually against me talking to him but I think what’s so wrong about it and we’re cool with each other. I mean he is nice, bit of an some other time, but he doesn’t hold grudges. He even taught me how to handle a stoner 63.”

Kai’s right eye twitched. No, he is not jealous. He is just upset that he missed the rerun of Return Of Superman. He is not jealous, not at all. Why would he?

 

Their mission is quite simple. Kai gets the role of bait because such an important person of a group out on the loose is a very rare chance hence making their rival target and focus more on murdering Kai while the rest of his team destroy the opponents building and their business while Kai is in a wild goose chase on the road. Even the nerdy Chanyeol and Baekhyun are ordered to take down their system. This would be a rather easy game for Kai but unfortunately his rivals were aiming not only him but Minhee as well so he had no other choice but to take her with him.

 

 

 

 

It was quiet for once.

No chit chats, no gunshots (maybe they are reloading), no pitter-patter of rain against the window. There was only the faint sound of engine rumbling.

 

“Minhee?”

 

The girl hummed lazily in reply.

 

“After we’re done, let’s go eat grilled beef. We can go to the Karaoke box too if you want.”

 

She turned her head slowly, inspecting the man sitting next to her with suspicion. “What are you up to? Did you do something wrong, aside from throwing my phone? Are you feeling guilty now that you realized I haven’t been to the restroom yet?”

He chuckled merrily, eyes crinkling in delight.

 

(Nobody really understood his mentality anyway.)

 

“Your school called,” Kai said. From the corners of his eyes, he could see the girl tensing. She pretends to act nonchalant but the resignation in her eyes gave it away.

“What did they say?”

 

“Well, congratulations for being proven innocent on the test.” Minhee gasps audibly. “Your principal had somehow realized that he is a dimwit for mistreating you. So you could go back to school again soon.”

Minhee smiles, “why are you so sure that I did not cheat?”

 

 

The male shook his head, shrugs his shoulders in response. “You aren’t the type to do that. I can see someone’s personality by the look in their eyes. Besides, you are part of my team now.  Trust is a big issue and a must here.”

The peaceful conversation was finally ended by another batch of gun war. This causes Kai’s anger to rise as he had spotted another faint crack on his back window.

 

 

“Brace yourself,” he warned between gritted teeth. “I’m going to make a turn.”
Minhee took a glance at Kai’s hidden right hand beneath his jacket. She glued herself to the seat and closed her eyes.

Kai skillfully swerved the car and now it was going the opposite direction of the road. He lowered his window and pulled out a normal hand gun. Instead of shooting the car’s body (he knew better than to waste his bullets on bulletproof glass), he took a precise shot on their wheels.

 

 

Long story short, there was a big explosion, 13 people died in the accident, Kai and Minhee found themselves in a stopping area because unfortunately she couldn’t hold her urge to pee anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

 

jeez why am i such a slow updater, there isnt much plot going on here

thank you for reading!!