Chapter 4

First and Thirteenth and Everything In Between

Wonwoo shifts uncomfortably for the umpteenth time and asks, “Why are we doing this again?”

“Shush!” Seokmin slaps a hand over Wonwoo’s mouth, effectively blocking his startled yelp. “We must be absolutely silent.” Seokmin turns to fix Wonwoo with a serious expression and Wonwoo can’t help but to freeze under the other boy’s unwavering gaze. “We cannot be heard or seen.

Wonwoo nods quickly, feeling slightly creeped out at Seokmin’s abrupt seriousness. Seokmin takes his hand away, nodding in turn, and murmuring, “Good, good…”

Seokmin turns back to face the scenery and Wonwoo follows the action. It really would be a perfect day to frolic in the park or maybe even just sit on a bench and watch little children play with dogs. The sun is shining bright overhead, hiding occasionally behind big fluffy white clouds. It’s burning the skin off his back, especially under the black shirt he’s wearing on the insistence of Seokmin. But the trees are dancing lazily in the slight breeze and Wonwoo shivers lightly as a particularly chilly one ruffles his hair. His ears pick up the sounds of the young children screaming in joy as they chase each other around or roll around in the dirt. He sees the occasional old couple helping each other walk slowly down the pavement and can’t help the smile that appears on his face.

He’s still enjoying the scenery when Seokmin’s arm claps down on his arm painfully and he hisses, “They’re here!”

Wonwoo swings his head around, looking for whoever ‘they’ is. He’s surprised when he sees two of his housemates walk onto the bright green grass of the park and asks, “Seungkwan and Hansol? What are they doing here?”

Seokmin shoots him a suffering glare and Wonwoo ducks his head in apology, although he’s not really sure why he’s doing so. Seokmin sighs and pulls him down even farther behind the bush that’s providing them with a hiding place.

“Seungkwan and Hansol. Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed anything about them?” Seokmin raises an eyebrow.

Wonwoo starts sweating. “Uh…”

Seokmin gasps in shock and his voice is scandalous when he speaks. “Wonwoo hyung! You’ve been living in the dorm for a month already! How have you not noticed the tension between the two?”

“Uh… Sorry?”

Seokmin shakes his head in mortification. “I am absolutely disappointed in you. Now turn around—” Seokmin forces Wonwoo’s body around. “—and watch those two very, very carefully. Do not look away for one second.”

“Uh, okay.”

As per Seokmin's order, Wonwoo watches Seungkwan and Hansol carefully. He’s flabbergasted at Seokmin’s reaction, and doesn’t understand what he’s supposed to be seeing. There hasn’t been any tension between the two boys and there hasn’t been a fight, not one that he’s aware of. He’s confused, but he continues watching Seungkwan and Hansol. It’s another five sweltering minutes before Wonwoo sees what Seokmin is urging him to see.

“Oh my god, you don’t mean…” Wonwoo starts, turning to look at Seokmin, who gives him a hopeful look.

“Yes, yes, I do mean. Now keep watching.”

“Oh my god…” Wonwoo gasps under his breath and turns his attention back to his two housemates.

Seungkwan is laughing loudly at something Hansol has said and he smacks Hansol lightly on the arm in mirth. Hansol grins right back and shoves Seungkwan away slightly. If Wonwoo’s not mistaken, Hansol’s fingers linger just a little longer than necessary on Seungkwan’s shoulder to turn him around. Wonwoo gasps silently. Seungkwan eyes Hansol curiously and then turns when Hansol points at something. Seungkwan’s mouth falls open in surprise and he obviously squeals, if Hansol’s suddenly pained expression and covering of his ears are anything to go by. The shorter boy shoots forward and he bends down in front of a small puppy. He gasps when the puppy bounds up to his face and Seungkwan ruffles the dog’s hair lovingly. Hansol squats down next to him and Seungkwan shoots him a wide, unguarded grin, and Hansol returns the smile. Seungkwan grabs Hansol’s hands and pulls him up, racing to the next dog as Hansol blushes.

Wonwoo plops down, unable to handle any more. Seokmin notices and sits down next to him, grinning at him wickedly.

“So. Tell me what you have observed, my apprentice.” Seokmin says, taking on a weird accent but Wonwoo doesn't care. He turns to Seokmin wonderingly and smiles.

“We’re getting a dog?” he asks excitedly.

Seokmin’s face falls and he looks confused. “What?”

“We’re getting a dog! Seungkwan and Hansol are looking to get us a dog!” Wonwoo continues, eyes shining brightly.

“Wait, Won—”

“This is brilliant, I can’t believe it! I’ve always wanted a dog!”

“No, you’ve got it—”

“I wonder what kind of dog they’re going to get… We should go help them!”

“WONWOO HYUNG! SHUT UP!”

Wonwoo blinks in surprise at Seokmin, who’s shot up from the hiding spot and is looking down at Wonwoo in disbelief. The two don’t notice that people all over the park are staring at them, and they definitely don’t notice Seungkwan and Hansol peering at them in horror.

“You’ve got it all wrong! How did you even get such a ridiculous idea?” Seokmin asks in a strangled voice.

“…We’re not getting a puppy?” Wonwoo asks, crestfallen, and Seokmin resists the urge to slap his forehead.

“No, we’re not! I don’t know why you suddenly thought we were going to get a puppy, but it’s absolutely wrong! We’re not!”

“Then… What are they doing?”

Seokmin sighs exasperatedly. “They’re on a date!”

Wonwoo’s eyes widen comically and he gasps, “A date?”

“Yes! A date! Seungkwan is absolutely smitten with Hansol, and I am absolutely confused as to how you have never realized this before! Ugh, I have never been so frus—”

Seokmin whirls in spot and then suddenly stops speaking. Wonwoo blinks in curiosity and leans over to see Seungkwan standing in front of Seokmin, a murderous expression on his face.

“S-Seungkwan! What a coincidence to see you here!” Seokmin stutters, obviously startled at Seungkwan’s sudden appearance.

“Yes, what a ing coincidence.” Seungkwan’s voice is dripping with venomous sarcasm.

“Well, Wonwoo and I were just about to leave, so, uh, if you’ll excuse us…” Seokmin says and tries to shy around Seungkwan. But the shorter boy puts out a hand to stop Seokmin, who freezes.

“Oh no. Why don’t you stay a little longer?” Seungkwan smiles coldly just as Hansol reaches them, walking at a leisurely pace. “Hansol, do you mind staying with Wonwoo hyung for a moment? I need to talk to Seokmin hyung.”

“Yeah, sure. Have a blast.” Hansol says, ignoring Seokmin’s silent pleas for help.

Seungkwan grins maliciously and he swings an arm around Seokmin’s neck, pulling him down to his own eye-level. “Let’s go, hyung.”

Wonwoo and Hansol sit together as Seungkwan and Seokmin disappear out of sight, and if they hear any screaming that sounds suspiciously like Seokmin, they take no notice of it.

“Hey Hansol. Wanna get a dog?”

~~~

This is completely unedited. I'll come back later and edit it, but for now, enjoy! And sorry I'm so late...

Edit: Okay, I came back and edited it. I'm sorry I'm so late with all my updates, so this one is slightly, just a little bit, longer than the rest. Also, I was going to make this kind of a continuation with the chapters. So like chapter 3 would connect with chapter 4. But then I decided to toss that idea, so it'll just be random anecdotes about the members for every chapter. They'll connect somewhat, but not right one after the other; it's too much of a hassle.