Chapter 3

First and Thirteenth and Everything In Between

I am so sorry this is so late I'm so sorry!!! This chapter is really, really bad, but I felt like I had to get something up quickly so here it is, in its unedited, awkwardly organized state.

~~~

The rest of the apartment residents arrived later toward the evening. Seungcheol had come while Mingyu and Wonwoo were in the kitchen, cleaning the microwave and washing the dishes together. Jisoo, Hansol, and Myungho had followed him in and found him smacking Mingyu across the head for making Wonwoo, the newcomer, clean. Wonwoo had looked at Mingyu apologetically after the four new-old residents introduced themselves, but Mingyu had said it was fine with a playful grin.

“But next time, you should get me something to eat.” Mingyu had wriggled his eyebrows. “Maybe ice cream.”

“Yeah, sure.” Wonwoo had laughed.

Soon after, they gather in the living room to eat dinner, save for those who came later. Soonyoung complains that Seungcheol never buys him food, but always buys food for the other roommates. Seungcheol retaliates by saying that Soonyoung never buys him food and Soonyoung uses the “you’re the hyung!” card. Seungcheol scowls and points at Jihoon, telling Soonyoung to ask Jihoon to buy food for him. Wonwoo doesn’t know whether he should be surprised that Jihoon actually grabs both of them in headlocks, or that Seungcheol and Soonyoung are actually being beat.

“Don’t mind them.” Mingyu whispers in his ear and Wonwoo just barely manages to keep himself from jumping 50 feet in the air. He cranes his neck around and relaxes upon seeing Mingyu’s toothy grin.

“I’m assuming they’re always like this.” Wonwoo states, looking around at all the unfazed boys.

“This should be their-” Mingyu pauses and stares off into the distance, counting off his fingers. Wonwoo applauds himself on not externally squealing. “-seventh time having this argument this month.”

Wonwoo laughs at the matter-of-fact way Mingyu says it, enjoying the younger boy’s friendly casualness.

The rest of the meal passes uneventfully, except when Jihoon smacks Soonyoung across the head for asking him to feed him. Seungcheol tells Wonwoo that he doesn’t have an actual bed to sleep in yet, so he sets out a sleeping bag for him in the living room next to Mingyu’s couch. Wonwoo wouldn’t have minded sleeping in the sleeping bag, but Mingyu insists that Soonyoung sleep in the sleeping bag so that Wonwoo can sleep on the bed. Soonyoung readily agrees, obviously carefree about everything.

When he’s settled in the bed, quilt tucked in nice around him, lights out, the world outside dead silent, Wonwoo thinks back to his day and smiles sleepily.

~

When Wonwoo wakes up, the first thing he hears is screaming. He shoots up in his bed, looking around frantically at the unfamiliar environment. He relaxes a little once he remembers that he’s moved, but then, his spine chills when he hears the same ear-piercing shriek that woke him. He clambers out of his bed cautiously, wondering why no one is in the living room and thinking worst case scenarios. What he’s faced with, however, is a bunch of boys bunched into the bathroom, screaming and shoving to get to the sink first. Wonwoo blinks as Soonyoung flies past him, toothpaste foam bubbling at his mouth, waving his toothbrush around in circles above his head, looking like a mad man. He blinks a couple more times as Seokmin follows the mad man, along with Chan and Seungcheol. Jihoon looks behind him hesitantly and then he scurries after the four boys.

“What?” Wonwoo murmurs to himself. “What is going on here?”

Hansol hears and he turns around shyly, toothbrush gripped tightly in his fist. “We all need to get to work or school, but there’s only this one sink.”

“Oh.” Wonwoo says. He wonders if he should spill Soonyoung’s secret about the kitchen sink, since it seems no one else has thought of it, but then Hansol kind of bows and turns back around to fight his way to the sink. “I’ll wait then…”

Wonwoo goes back to wait, sitting on the bed until most of the boys have cleared out and are in their bedroom getting dressed. The waiting boy stands up, grabs his toothbrush and toothpaste, cleansing foam and towel, and walks to the bathroom, where he sees Mingyu and Myungho still washing up. Mingyu grins brightly when he sees Wonwoo walk in armed with toiletries, and Wonwoo smiles back just as happily, the foam dripping off Mingyu’s chin making his eyes crinkle.

“Hyung!” Mingyu cries and Wonwoo remembers how adorable it had been when Mingyu asked if he could call him that. Wonwoo hadn’t wasted any time in saying yes.

“Good morning, Mingyu.”

Mingyu turns around to wipe away the foam on his mouth and Wonwoo notices only then that Myungho’s no longer there. He wonders briefly where he could be but then Mingyu’s looking back up and all thoughts of Myungho fly out the window.

“So, hyung, I was thinking.” Mingyu begins, busying himself with drying his face. “After classes and all, do you want to-”

He’s cut off the by the sound of Seungkwan screeching his name. “KIM MINGYU! GET YOUR NONEXISTENT OVER HERE THIS INSTANT!”

Mingyu flinches and then sighs. He looks at Wonwoo regretfully and bites his lip, as if he’s holding himself back. “I’ll see you later hyung.”

Wonwoo merely nods and watches Mingyu trod out sadly. He’s suddenly hit with the story of Gyunwoo and Jiknyeo and he blushes, slapping water on his face to snap out of it.

When he’s done washing up and changing into an oversize gray sweater, jeans, and a white snapback, he wanders into the living room with his towel slung around his shoulders and he’s met with the Second Strange Sight of the Day—Mingyu is sitting on the couch and everyone is sitting in a circle around him, packing their things, except for Junhui, who is sitting in front of Mingyu. Mingyu has his hands buried in Junhui’s hair, untangling strands here and ruffling up parts there. He lifts a red spray bottle and squirts water onto his hand before going back to fix Junhui’s hair. When he’s done, he pushes Junhui away slightly and calls, “Next!”

Soonyoung shoots up and dashes over to Mingyu, plopping down in front of him before anyone else. “Mister Kim, I would like a cute-boyfriend-look today.”

Mingyu grins and says, “Yes customer-nim,” and he gets to work on the blonde boy’s hair.

Wonwoo takes a seat on the bed again and continues to watch curiously as Mingyu works on each boy’s hair. The boys leave almost as soon as Mingyu’s done, but occasionally someone, like Soonyoung, will wait for a friend to finish, like Jihoon. Unfortunately for Soonyoung, Jihoon doesn’t seem intent on going with him. He pulls up his bag and swiftly walks out the door, ignoring Soonyoung’s cries for him to wait sounding from behind.

Finally, it’s only Wonwoo left with Mingyu and Jeonghan. Jeonghan seems to be taking a while because his hair is so long, but Mingyu handles it well, carefully styling it and tying it into a ponytail. Jeonghan stands up and smiles kindly at Wonwoo before waltzing out the door with his bookbag.

“Wonwoo hyung.” Mingyu calls and Wonwoo snaps his gaze away from the door. Mingyu is staring at him with his head cocked to the side, a ghost of a smile on his lips. “Do you need me to do your hair too?”

Wonwoo pretends to busy himself with his bag, hiding his blush from Mingyu. “N-no, I’m good. Besides, don’t you have to go to school?”

“I can go a little later. You have class soon?” Mingyu asks, getting up and stretching his arms and fingers.

Wonwoo doesn’t, but he doesn’t think he can stay any longer with just Mingyu in this apartment. “Y-yeah. I have to go now actually. Bye Mingyu!” He snatches up his bag from the floor and scuttles out of the apartment.

~

“Why’d you call so early in the morning? I could have actually slept in today…” Changkyun mutters as soon as he sits down.

Wonwoo smiles up at him sheepishly. “Sorry. It was a bit of an emergency.”

Changkyun lifts an eyebrow as he setts his head down on his bag. “Mind telling me what that emergency was?”

Wonwoo plays with the strings of Changkyun’s bag. “I, um-”

Changkyun lifts a hand firmly. “Never mind, I don’t want to know.”

Wonwoo smiles carefully, biting his lip. “Thanks Changkyun.”

Changkyun doesn’t bother responding, but he does smile lazily as he rests his head on his bag again.

“Hey, where’s Jooheon hyung? I was kind of expecting you guys to come together.” Wonwoo asks, looking curious.

“He was being a this morning so I ditched him.” Changkyun replies in a slightly annoyed tone.

“Oh. Mind telling me the details?” Wonwoo smiles.

Changkyun raises his head and stares at Wonwoo as if looking through him before deciding that yes, he will tell him.

“Well. It started yesterday actually.” Changkyun begins, sitting up straight. “He came home and was on the phone with this girl for at least two hours and no matter how many times I asked who she was, he wouldn’t answer. So I went to sleep early by myself because obviously I’m very, very pissed. But he doesn’t even care!” Changkyun throws up his arms in frustration, eyes flashing angrily.

“And then this morning, I woke up to your call and I was about to leave. But then Jooheon hyung comes out and he asks where I’m going and when I see to meet you, he gets all pissed and exclaims that he can’t trust me!” Changkyun crosses his arms, an angry huff leaving his lips. “Says the one who refuses to tell me who that girl is from yesterday! He knows you too and he says I can’t be trusted! He’s so infuriating!”

Changkyun flops against the table surface and doesn’t move for a while. Wonwoo sighs quietly when he hears a small sniffle from the boy and lifts a hand to pet his hair. “There’s probably a reason why he’s not telling you. I’ve seen you guys long before you guys got together and I’ve seen how much he likes you, so he’s definitely not cheating on you. And he’s just jealous that you’re seeing me first thing in the morning. Don’t worry about it too much, Changkyun.”

The brown-haired boy looks up, eyes a little red around the edges. “You sure?”

“Of course I’m sure.” Wonwoo laughs and ruffles Changkyun’s hair.

“Yah! I’m not your dongsaeng or anything, stop that!” Changkyun ducks away. “In fact, my birthday is faster than yours!”

“Okay, whatever Changkyun.” Wonwoo rolls his eyes goodnaturedly. Changkyun glares for a moment longer before he breaks out into a smile again.

“Hey, you wanna get something to eat now?” Changkyun asks and Wonwoo grins.

“Sounds good.”