Chapter 2

First and Thirteenth and Everything In Between

After Jihoon, Soonyoung took Wonwoo around to meet all the other boys. The two who had been in the corner earlier, popping open bottles, are Seokmin and Junhui. Jeonghan is the one who had been screaming for his underwear while Chan raced around, swinging the white cloth above his head. Wonwoo is shocked that Jeonghan is actually a boy, what with his beautifully sleek, long hair, and high cheekbones. But seeing how he chased after the little child, Wonwoo doesn’t dare doubt that Jeonghan is a boy.

“The rest are out to get something to eat. Except Mingyu. He’s at his friend’s house. I think. Anyways, the rest, Seungcheollie hyung, Myungho, Hansol, and Jisoo hyung are getting dinner.” Soonyoung explains, leading Wonwoo back to the living room after being smacked by Jihoon at least thirteen times. Soonyoung had half-screamed, half-laughed the whole time, and even through the pain, he had tried to give Jihoon affectionate hugs. Of course, he only got hit even harder for it. “Do you want to join me, Seokmin, and Junhui?”

Wonwoo looks over at where Soonyoung was pointing. Junhui is laughing hysterically at something Seokmin had said and is slapping his own thigh, flinging his head back and forth. Wonwoo had thought Junhui would be a really scary person, ready to flick out a knife at the slightest insult, but looking at the boy now, he can only think that this scary boy is, for lack of a more fitting word, cute. Seokmin grins widely, and takes another gulp from the green bottle. Wonwoo grimaces and looks back at the expectantly waiting Soonyoung and shakes his head, trying to look polite. “No thank you.”

Soonyoung’s face falls and he shrugs. “Well, alright then.” Turning around, he dashes over to the two boys in the corner and slings his arms around them, sporting a toothy grin.

Wonwoo turns in a full circle in his spot uncertainly before moving back to the sofa and taking a seat slowly. He bites his lip and watches the other residents of the apartment nervously. He feels very out of place, as if he doesn’t belong in this... in this pigsty. He thinks longingly of his old apartment, the one he had shared with his younger brother. Their apartment had been so clean, so clean and so nice-smelling and so homely and familiar. But this place… It’s so foreign, especially because it’s packed with twelve guys he knows nothing about, save for their names.

Wonwoo sighs and he gloomily takes out his phone, figuring he might as well play some games or scroll through FaceBook, since, obviously, Soonyoung is too busy drinking with Junhui and Seokmin, Seungkwan has no mind to make him feel at home, and Seungcheol, whoever he is, is not present at the moment to indicate where he’ll sleep. However, as soon as he whips out his phone, he hears the faint sound of keys jingling and then the sound of the lock turning, and he swivels his head around to stare at the door, wondering if maybe it’s the stranger Seungcheol. When the new stranger walks in-and he’s so, so tall, stretching toward the ceiling, and Wonwoo’s sure the stranger’s carefully-styled blue hair can actually brush it-Wonwoo doesn’t know if it’s Seungcheol, but he’s struck speechless, and he can just barely keep his jaws closed. The stranger opens his mouth, revealing a gleaming set of sharp teeth, and he speaks.

“I’m back, guys.”

There’s a moment of silence and then Seungkwan looks up from his phone for once and screams, “MINGYU’S BACK!!!” and everyone else starts screeching too-meanwhile, Wonwoo is thinking ‘ah, so that’s his name.’ Jeonghan and Chan come racing out of the big bedroom too and join the fray.

“MINGYU, can you please clean the living room?”

“No, can you work on the kitchen first?”

“No, the bathroom! I feel dirty even after I take a shower!”

“Maybe because you are still dirty!”

“Shut up! I’m not dirty!”

“CLEAN THE ING LIVING ROOM!”

“What the , Jihoon, you don’t even come out to the living room.”

“I CAN STILL SMELL IT!”

“Well then maybe he should come out and clean it…”

“I ING HEARD THAT!”

“Mingyu, clean please. Everything. Please. I’m dying in this filthy pigsty.”

“You know, you guys could have cleaned up after yourselves. Then this wouldn’t have happened and Jeonghan hyung, you wouldn’t be dying.”

“It’s not the same, Mingyu. Just clean please.”

“Later.” Mingyu rolls his eyes and comes forward to properly greet Wonwoo, who has been staring at him the whole time he’s been standing on the Welcome mat. “Hi, I’m Kim Mingyu. Nice to meet you…?”

“J-Jeon Wonwoo!” Wonwoo exclaims a little too loudly and clears his throat in embarrassment. “I-I mean, Jeon Wonwoo.”

“Nice to meet you, Jeon Wonwoo-sshi.” Mingyu grins and wow, Wonwoo didn’t think those sharp teeth could actually form such a perfect smile, but they do, and welp, he’s definitely not ready for the thudding of his heart against his ribcage. He’s extremely grateful when Jeonghan whisks Mingyu away to start cleaning the bathroom and he inwardly thinks that he owes Jeonghan one, so maybe he’ll buy him coffee if they ever get closer.

Wonwoo eases back into the couch as his roommates go back to their previous activities and he takes out his phone just as a pretense of having something to do. He tries not to think about the blue-haired boy named Kim Mingyu, but dammit, his thoughts keep wandering back to him. After a couple of minutes of looking back and forth from his phone to the bathroom door, Wonwoo finally decides to save himself the torture and gets up carefully, discreetly to make his way to the bathroom. The door is wide open and Wonwoo sees Mingyu crouched over inside the bathtub, a cloth tied around his head to keep his hair out of his forehead and hands adorned in long, pink rubber gloves. Mingyu is scrubbing hard at the bathtub and Wonwoo is struck with the strange image of Cinderella-Minderella-before he quickly shakes the thought away. He steps forward and nervously knocks on the bathroom door, biting his lip to stop himself from grinning at the adorable way Mingyu pauses to fling his head up to stare at Wonwoo.

“Hi…” Wonwoo mumbles, lowering his hand and shuffling his feet.

“Oh, hi!” Mingyu smiles-R.I.P. Wonwoo’s heart-and asks, “What’s up?”

“Oh, um, I just… I just felt bad doing nothing. Maybe I could help?” Wonwoo’s voice rises at the end, as if it’s a question and Wonwoo’s about to berate himself for it, but Mingyu’s huge grin stops him.

“Really? Aw, you’re so nice!” Mingyu drops his voice and gazes out menacingly at nothing in particular but Wonwoo knows he’s talking about the other roommates when he mutters, “Unlike some people.” He brightens again when he looks back up into Wonwoo’s face though. “But that’s okay. I like cleaning anyways, so I’m okay.”

“Ah, but I feel bad!” Wonwoo protests, fiddling with his hands.

Mingyu laughs. “Okay then you can just sit on the toilet seat and you could keep me entertained. I’m bored all by myself.”

Wonwoo is more than eager to accept because, um, individual time with Mingyu, duh. He scrambles to the toilet and lowers the cover, setting himself down on it lightly. “Okay.”

He hopes the other guys won’t have to use the bathroom any time soon.