[4/?]

Mvtsqanth.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Four.

 


Yoochun and Jaejoong run frantically toward the emergency unit corner.

“Kim Junsu. We’ve heard he’s brought in here two hours ago. Where can we see him?” Yoochun asks the front desk in charge nurse through panting breaths. He hasn’t run properly in ages. He’s a music teacher, thank you, not an athlete.

The nurse processes his question. “He’s still under intensive treatment in ER, sir. You aren’t-

“Thanks.” Yoochun runs again followed closely by Jaejoong. “That’s mom.” Yoochun stops running. He catches his breaths in sweats. Running isn’t his forte and he doesn’t run unless it’s urgency level one. Junsu is in level one.

Jaejoong spots mama Kim talking with one doctor probably the one handling Junsu.

“Mom.” Yoochun greets in flustered sweaty look. “What happened with Junsu?”

The woman and the doctor turn their head at the newly arrived pair of friends.

“None of them has B blood type.” The woman says. “I’ll try blood bank nearby.”

“I’m afraid they don’t have enough blood supplies, ma’am. It’s a hectic holiday season.” The doctor looks apologetic. “He has got one donor already. We just need another pack just in case his internal injury bleeds again.”

“I’m O.” Jaejoong quickly grasps what’s going on. “I could give my blood for Junsu.”

The doctor shakes his head. “We need to be careful here. The same blood type is the safest. But I would really appreciate it if you would still donate.”

Jaejoong puts a joker look. He would give his blood as much as it is needed if it’s Junsu but for random people? Sure he will. Just not now please. He’s still in shock hearing Junsu was sent into hospital.

“I’ll text anyone I know.” Yoochun gets his phone walking some feet away from mama Kim, Jajeoong and the doctor before the doctor says the same blood donating thing to him. He’s just run long. That’s enough sport for the day. Blood donation could wait later on when he’s not sweating and panting from long running.

“Thank you, doc.” The woman bows. “I have to make calls. Excuse me. Boys, I’ll talk to you soon.” She turns around leaving Jaejoong and the doctor alone.

“How bad is he?” Jaejoong couldn’t help asking. “Why does he need blood transfusion?”

The doctor flashes a tired yet friendly smile at the man clad in tux. “His critical phase has just passed. He needs blood to cover for the internal injury. We are transfusing one on him now. The person brought him in has the same blood type with him.” The doctor reaches inside his pocket. “My pager beeps. Gotta go.”

The person brought him in has the same blood type? Thank you, God. Jaejoong thanks silently. The past memory of Junsu’s bad injury is still crystal clear in Jaejoong’s record. He hopes this one isn’t serious.

Yoochun reappears besides Jaejoong. “Jessica and Seunghyun can’t be reached. Both phones are busy. I’ve asked Joong Ki to broadcast it in his radio show. Do you keep Heechul’s number? He’s AB. Perhaps he knows some friends with B blood type.”

“I’m not sure I keep Heechul’s number.”

“How about Hyunjoong? Isn’t he B too?”

Jaejoong hasn’t had chance to reply when they see two males walking approaching them. Choi Minho and Lee Taemin. Changmin’s friends. Yoochun looks at them in flat unfriendly eyes. Why does he have to bump into his fiance’s friends here? He doesn’t want to be reminded of his bad state problem with Changmin right now.

Minho bows at them first, greeting. Jaejoong nods his head acknowledging the two men. No actual greeting words spoken as Yoochun openly shows his reluctance to play polite.

“Um.. Where could we see Changmin?” Minho clears his throat breaking the thick solid air among them.

Yoochun frowns. “Why are you asking us where Changmin is?”

Minho and Taemin exchange uneasy look. They are well aware of Yoochun-Changmin’s cold war.

“We are told to donate our blood for Junsu.” Taemin says after short silent eye contact with Minho. “Where should we register?”

It’s Jaejoong and Yoochun’s turn to exchange silent eye contact.

“Changmin asked you to come here?” Yoochun drops his cold cover.

“He texted us half an hour ago.” Minho nods. “Taemin met me on the way here. Where is he?”

“We just came a while ago before you. We don’t know he is here either.”

“How did Changmin know Junsu is in hospital and needs blood?” Yoochun eyes the two males. No offense. He just finds it odd how Changmin could help faster and better than them.

“We didn’t ask him yet.” Taemin says. “I called him on our way here. He didn’t answer his phone or reply my last text asking his whereabouts.”

Yoochun could feel the effort made by the people around him not to look at him. They all know Yoochun and Changmin aren’t talking to each other.

Mama Kim pops up among the men. “Ah. Changmin’s friends?” Her eyes examines Minho and Taemin. Yoochun looks to his side hiding his uncomfortable hearing his fiance’s name mentioned by mama Kim. So Changmin is indeed here.

Minho and Taemin bow at the woman. “Yes, ma’am. Changmin asked us to come by.”

“B blood? Positive rhesus?”

Minho shifts. “B it is but I’m not sure about the rhesus.”

The mother beams. “Would you mind getting some blood test?”

“Of course not.” Taemin smiles back. “Where should we get the test?”

“Thank heaven you came.” The woman says brightly. “Please come with me.” She gestures at the two males to follow her.

“Mom.” Jaejoong calls.

“Oh, Jae.” The woman halts. “Would you please wait here for a moment? Changmin would meet you soon. He’s just finished transfusing his blood for Junsu.”

Jaejoong elbows the stunned Yoochun. “You are engaged to a hero, huh? He moves fast saving people’s lives.” He teases the blank look friend.

Yoochun chooses to say nothing.


----


Changmin presses the cold soft patch onto his hand carefully. He’s told to lie down a bit after transfusing his blood. It may take a while to recover from the amount of blood loss. He sits up comfortably testing his ability to cope. It’s fine.
Kim Junsu is lying in the bed next to him. The pale complexion slowly fades along with the beeping machine and connected wires around his head and body. It beeps steadily showing the good progress of the patient.

Changmin studies the sleeping man. Junsu looks like he’s sleeping in peaceful dream. His eyes are shut in relaxed way. His lips are closed thinly. There’s no any slightest trace of an angry and threatening Junsu Changmin saw two hours ago. The man lying in bed next to his bed looks like the usual Kim Junsu Changmin knows. He doesn’t know much about Kim Junsu, though. All he knows about Junsu is that he’s Yoochun’s best friend, Jaejoong’s most cared dear friend, the object of Jung Yunho’s affection, used to be very mischievous and a master prankster behind his innocent cover look, used to fool around Jaejoong and Yoochun like it’s his life goal, used to hardly be seen separated from Yoochun or Jaejoong, used to work in local newspaper as a sport columnist, used to be very noisy and loud. That’s about all. Yoochun mentions Junsu in most of his talk about his school days, college days, hunting for job days, bad jokes, any good and bad days in the past. He knows Junsu is well loved and cared by Jaejoong and Yoochun and that Junsu returns the similar sentiments toward the two. He knows Junsu keeps distances from them after the accident for personal reasons he successfully keeps that even Jaejoong and Yoochun fail to figure out why.
Changmin stares at the sleeping man oblivious of how long he has been doing it. It’s funny. Really funny how he realized Junsu had found his most secret hideout out of nowhere. It’s funny how someone you know as the extension of your relationship with your fiancé, someone who hardly speaks to you in person, let alone closely, could find Changmin’s whereabout in no time where even Changmin’s mother doesn’t know. It’s funny how this person declared he would make Changmin regret everything if Changmin breaks up with Yoochun. Why would Junsu care so much about them?
Changmin’s body moves slowly bending down closer onto Junsu’s sleeping face.

“How did you find me there, Kim Junsu?” He whispers. “We are not that close of a friend. You talk to me only when we are with other people. You never try to be friendlier to me like you do to Jaejoong’s friends. You take me just as Yoochun’s fiancé, not someone you could be friend with or someone you could let in to your circle of people. You see me as an outsider yet you know one of my deepest secrets. How do you do that if we aren’t even good friend to start with?”

The beeping machine is the only sound heard in the ward.

“I would watch you closely from now on.” Changmin whispers more. “I have to find out how you could step into my secrets.” He leans lower and before he could stop it or realize what he’s going to do, he plants kisses on Junsu’s nose and cheek.

Something in him snaps.

Changmin is pulled backward by his own conscience that he’s just kissed his fiance’s best friend. Not a kiss kiss but still a kiss he shouldn’t do. Especially not in hospital ward where there are only two of them and not with this… feeling. What’s this feeling? What’s this kicking pull inside him? What the hell is he doing?!?!

----


“Thank you.” mama Kim hugs the tall man in gratitude. “If you didn’t find him and bring him to hospital fast, I don’t know what would happen to my son.”

Changmin returns the hug in absurdity. “Anyone would do the same, ma’am.” He manages to reply amidst the uncertain feelings in his chest.

“I can’t thank you enough.” The woman insists. “For everything you have done for our family.”

“It’s a coincidence. Please don’t make me feels bad.”
The mother releases her hug. “I’m so glad Junsu has great friends like you.”

“You are embarrassing me.” Changmin’s cheeks gain color.
“Thank you.”

Changmin can’t do much but murmuring objection which is ignored by the woman.

Yoochun, Jaejoong, and Minho watch the scene quietly. Taemin is taking his turn donating his blood. Junsu has woken up fifteen minutes ago and demanded to go home as soon as he saw where he lied down.

“Junsu’s father is speaking with the head doctor.” The mother informs. “We’ll know when we could see and kick him for making a ruckus.” She smiles warmly at the group of friends. “Anyone wants some drinks?”

“I think I need some.” Jaejoong rises from the lounge. “I know a good beverage vendor near here. Anyone else wants anything while I’m out for drinks?”

“I’m fine.” Yoochun says.

“Me too.” Minho adds.

“Alright. Let’s go, mom.” Jaejoong playfully offers his arm toward the woman.

She chuckles. “An honor for me, young man.”

They leave the three men sitting on the lounge.Minho feels the cold awkward atmosphere trapping him as he sits in between Yooc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter