Chapter 1

Of Theater Troupes and Bounty Hunters

“I can’t believe my dad sometimes Hoseok.” Seokmin complained in the middle of their Super Gecko Man marathon.

 

“He’s still asking you to get a job?” Hoseok asked. For some reason, it wasn’t awkward to have his landlord who was a good 3 years older to marathon an old kids’ super hero show. Nor was it not awkward that he can freely discuss his problems with his landlord. But Hoseok was a cool person who would never judge his problems.

 

“Yup. He’s still asking me to get a job.” He whined. “Does my dad not know how hard it is to get a job?”

 

“Doesn’t your dad have a job?”

 

“He’s a police officer. He went to a police academy to become a police officer. He studied to be a police officer.” Seokmin scoffed. The elder rolled his eyes and grabbed his phone. “That’s exactly what college sounds like. You go to college to learn how to get a job.”

 

“Not my point. Plus, I went to college to be a singer.”

 

Hoseok stopped typing and showed what he had made. It was a note that said ‘Debts’.

 

“No. Hoseok. Not that. Please.” Seokmin begged. Hoseok didn't listen and proceeded to expound on the note.

 

“You’ve been living in my apartment complex since August. It’s been 3 months since you’ve actually payed your rent. As your new friend back then, I actually lowered your rent and even gave you exceptions. Now you have to pay because at the moment, there aren’t much people residing here because stupid Mr. Hong of Hong Apartments discounted his apartments for the holidays.” Hoseok ranted on about how Hope Apartments’ business has been slow, how much Mr. Hong , and even about the low quality apartments they have compared to Hope Apartments.

 

“I mean, Hope Apartments has always been cheaper than Hong Apartments. If it wasn’t for the fact that my ex-tenant’s girlfriend is a wanted criminal, more people would be renting at Hope Apartments. Mr. Hong had to put a discount on his apartments as well. He really wants to put Hope Apartments out of business.”

 

Seokmin coughed and went up to change the VCR from Volume 3 to Volume 4.

 

“Wait… Didn’t you say a theater troupe tried hiring you earlier?” Hoseok asked. The younger nodded his head as he sat back down.

 

“What was it called?”

 

“I don’t know… SVT Troupe?” Hoseok started grinning making Seokmin question why he even became friends with his landlord.

 

“That’s my friend’s little brother’s theater troupe.” He laughed. “My friend Yoongi’s little brother is the director there.”

 

Seokmin’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped. “You mean that short guy with the colored hair is your friend’s brother?”

 

“You know, you just described both Yoongi and his brother Jihoon accurately.” Hoseok said.

 

“Damn. It’s been so long since I’ve talked to Yoongi. That old man.” He chuckled. “He’s a rapper now you know.”

 

Seokmin tried to excuse himself. He knows where this is going. Hoseok would start giving out stories of his past and go “Good times.” And frankly, Seokmin didn’t want to hear it. Obviously his excuses never worked.

 

“Oh man. Back in High School, me, Yoongi, and another friend named Namjoon, we used to be underground rappers. I was called J-Hope, Yoongi was Suga, and Namjoon was Rap Monster. Good times.”

 

“Hoseok, I-”

 

“Namjoon. Well, he got married and last I heard they have a foster child. Mom died, sister ran away. Pretty sad. Poor kid.”

 

“Hoseok, you know what,” he started. “I’m gonna take that job in the SVT Troupe. I’ll act or something. So, bye.”

 

He quickly went out of the room as to not hear another story. Yeah, most probably he will join the theater troupe.


 

 “Great job today guys.” Jihoon said. Everyone groaned back in response. Jun had to wipe the fake blood off his body. Minghao had body glitter everywhere, Jisoo was soaked after a prop malfunction in one scene. Only Jeonghan had no problems after the play. He was used to being in drag and having to hide his from the lingerie he wears in some performances. All he had to do was change.

 

The cast was definitely heavily undermanned.

 

“Can you all please stay for an hour. I have an important announcement to make.” He announced. The limited cast that they had just groaned back again.

 

“You know Jeonghan…” Jun broke in. “Your acting seemed semi-decent earlier. I actually believed that you didn’t have a for a second.”

 

Jeonghan rolled his eyes. “Thank you Junhui. I saw that you actually had fans today.” He scoffed.

 

“Yeah. At least they’re actual females rather than dirty old men who think you have a .” Jun retaliated.

 

“What can I say? I have the appeal that gets us an audience. Congratulations though. It took you a while to actually have a small section of the audience be there for Wen Junhui.”

 

“You little .” Jun hissed.

 

“You giant .” Jeonghan cursed.

 

“Go back to hell you demon !” Jun yelled and threw his wet towel at Jeonghan who narrowly missed it.

 

Jeonghan grabbed the flowers on his table and aimed at Jun who also narrowly missed it. “Easy for you to tell someone to go back to where they came from when you’re an illegal immigrant!”

 

“I’m sorry. The visa problem was just a damn visa problem. You should improve on your comebacks and your acting since you still act like a cheap star.” Jun scowled. He was ready to punch the theater’s so called ‘angel’ on the face.

 

“What about you? You’re acting is as bad as Hayden Christensen’s in the Star Wars prequels. You can’t call me out on my acting you dead-eyed fish.” Jeonghan snarled. Jun went up to Jeonghan, ready to punch the living daylights out of the guy. Jeonghan had that same feeling and grabbed his prop bat.

 

The other two actors knew where this was going. Minghao raced up to Jun and tried to convince him in Chinese to not kill Jeonghan. Jisoo tried to restrain his friend and reassured him that Jun was full of ‘bull crap’.

 

“Please curse properly Jisoo.” Jihoon piped in. He entered the room with what looks like a rolled up poster and his laptop. “Were you two idiots trying to kill each other again?”

 

“No.” Both men mused. Jihoon unrolled the poster to show what looks to be an elaborately drawn plan. “What’s this?” Minghao asked.

 

“Our next pay check.” He grinned. No one really liked the sound of that.

 

“Jun, plug the projector wire to my laptop. This is going to be a long night.” He said. Jun was about to do that when Jihoon just grimaced. “Change. Change your clothes. God. You all look like a mess. I thought you’d all be done by now.”


 

 The lights were off and the only thing that can be viewed was the projection of a girl’s mugshot. On the bottom was her name “Jeon Wonwoo”.

 

“As you can tell, her name is Wonwoo.” Jihoon started, “She’s wanted for arson and for the murder of her mother. She has been missing for a year.”

Jisoo raised his hand and asked, “May I interrupt?” Jihoon nodded his head and gave the floor to the elder.

 

“She’s the sister of one of my students. She was also heavily pregnant around the time she was arrested, am I right?”

 

Jihoon nodded his head yet again. “Yes you are. Soonyoung gave me the information. She somehow managed to give the police a chase and escape while she was pregnant. A nice feat.”

 

“Wait, why did Soonyoung give you information like that? Why are you telling us this? Jihoon, what’s all this?” Jeonghan questioned.

 

“I was getting to that.” Their director sighed. “I accepted a bounty hunting mission from Soonyoung so we could have money. You know we can’t count on Jeonghan’s fanbase and Jun’s tabloids as a stable source of income.”

 

“Just because Jungah, Uee, Raina, Nana, Lizzy, E-Young, and Kaeun all left us and the amount of tickets sold after that became less doesn’t mean you can accept a bounty hunting job for us just to make easy money.” The long haired man argued.

 

Jun nodded his head in agreement. “I hate to admit it, but he’s right. It isn’t fair to us because we didn’t sign up for a bounty hunting job. Plus, my tabloids does help us bring in money.”

 

Jihoon brought out his phone which immediately made Jeonghan and Jun flustered. “We’re sorry Jihoon. It’s an amazing idea.” They both said.

 

“Now, let’s get back to the presentation. And good, Jisoo got us a step closer.” He grinned. “Her only living relative is Jeon Jungkook, her younger brother. Since Jisoo is his teacher, interrogating him would be a piece of cake.”

 

Jisoo laughed nervously which made the others stare at him. “Um…Jungkook doesn’t like talking about it.”

 

“You can’t ask him?” Minghao asked to which the elder just sighed.

 

“Jeon Jungkook would never talk about it. If anyone mentioned anything about his mother or sister, he would either storm off or get angry. Most cases would end with him in fights though.”

 

“Does Jungkook have any current legal guardians? He’s 17 and he wouldn’t be able to live alone until he’s 18. Soonyoung has no information about the kid.” Jihoon inquired.

 

Jisoo sighed again. “He has foster parents who I have seen once or twice but… The principle is the only person allowed to talk to them and anything like their names or address is classified information.”

 

“Dammit.” The shorter man cursed. “We’re back to square one.”

 

“Well, the simple plan was to interrogate everyone who was connected to both Wonwoo and her mother, Jeon Minju. Jeonghan, lights.” Jihoon requested. He opened to lights and Jihoon pointed at the poster.

 

“Those are our leads. They’ll help us find Jeon Wonwoo in no time.”

 

On the poster were pictures of 3 different people. 2 male and one female. All were around the same age range.

 

“Yao Mingming.” Jihoon started. “Jeon Minju’s coworker. They haven’t interrogated her because she was too uninvolved in the crime. Most probably she knows some things about Minju and her daughter Wonwoo.”

 

“Park Jimin.” He continued. “Wonwoo’s best friend. He was out of town when Wonwoo disappeared. He works at a bar and is said to be biual. He might know some information about Wonwoo’s whereabouts.”

 

“Lastly, Kim Mingyu. Jeon Wonwoo’s boyfriend. A frequent apartment hopper. Location is currently unknown. They interrogated him but found nothing against him or any information about his girlfriend.”

 

“We start tomorrow at Jang Doyoon’s workplace. We’ll also have Kwon Soonyoung fill in for Jisoo who has to go to work. Oh, are you done checking your papers.” Jihoon taunted.

 

If Jisoo could curse, he would have.

 

“Okay. Have a nice sleep, I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.”

 

The troupe was about to leave when they heard a knock on the door. “God, it’s probably one of my fans.” Jeonghan cringed. He hated the erts he attracted.

 

“Junghan left. Please do not look for her or else she will file a lawsuit against you.” Jihoon yelled out.

 

“I’m not looking for Junghan. I’m here for a job.” The muffled voice from behind the door said. Jihoon opened the door and saw the man from the diner yesterday.

 

“It’s you. The Super Gecko Man fan. You actually accepted my job offer.”

 

“Yeah. Also, my name’s Seokmin.” He added.

 

“Whatever. Get in, I’ll fill you in on your first job. Also, I will tell them how great you are in acting as Super Gecko Man.” Jihoon declared, making the rest of the troupe snicker. Until they all realized they have to stay longer because:

 

“Jesus, I have to explain the job to him.”

 

“What job?” The newest addition to the troupe asked.

 

“Our bounty hunting job.”