Prologue

Of Theater Troupes and Bounty Hunters

One Year Ago

Wonwoo never expected it to be like this. Everything was a blur as she ran through several alleys hoping she would escape the police. But that was impossible. She was heavily pregnant. It was already a feat that she was able to run this far or to even run at all in her current state. She knew she was innocent. The police are after an innocent, pregnant woman. She stopped to catch her breath. If she does escape and go into hiding, where would she go? Mingyu’s job was dangerous enough. She’d be a wanted criminal with her face on posters and her name “Jeon Wonwoo” would be known everywhere. What about Jungkook? Jungkook’s still in high school. He wouldn’t be able to survive this way.

 

She was too lost in thought that she didn’t notice that the police finally caught up with her. “Jeon Wonwoo. You are under arrest for arson and for the murder of Jeon Minju.”

 

She grasped her belly and took a deep breath. “I didn’t kill my own mother.” She yelled.

 

“Miss! Put your hands up!” They commanded. Wonwoo couldn’t resist them. She had to think about her child now. A young officer with bleach blonde hair stepped forward and removed the handcuffs that were on his belt. “I’ll be careful miss.”

 

She surrendered to the police for a crime she did not commit.

------

Present 

Inspector Kwon Sonnyoung could have spent his day off in a dance studio or singing karaoke with some other friends. No, he had to be stuck with Lee Jihoon in a family diner as Jihoon ranted on about his theater troupe going broke. “I worked day in and day out writing the script, directing, composing, I even choreograph. All my hard work and all we get are some erts who are thirsty for Jeonghan. Christ. Soonyoung, we’re so broke that we have to rely on the money of Jeonghan’s fanbase and Jun’s tabloids.”

 

Soonyoung sighed and took his phone out of his pocket. “I never wanted to get you involved but…” He clicks on the image of a beautiful girl. “Jeon Wonwoo. Missing since last year. She’s wanted for arson and for the murder of her mother. We caught her last year but after a certain event…” Soonyoung trailed off as the memory slowly comes back to him.

 

“My boyfriend. H-he works so hard to support me. And my mother, she hates him. She hates him for some damn reason. I’m pregnant and she doesn’t want my child’s father to support us.” Wonwoo cried. Soonyoung’s tears fell as he listened to her story.

 

“But, I would never kill my own mother. Even after all she did to keep Mingyu away from me. And now, Jungkook. My little brother Jungkook is left without a family.” His heart breaks as soon as she finished. He reached for a tissue and blew his nose.

 

“I-I’m so sorry Miss. That’s so horrible.” He switches the recorder off and stands up. “Let’s get you out of here.”

 

“She escaped. There’s a huge bounty on her head and if you’re that desperate for money, I’m giving you this task.”

 

Jihoon scratched his chin. “I don’t know Soonyoung. I mean, I’m up for it, but my troupe, we’re really lacking in actors.”

 

“I can try to help you guys but… you know how demanding being an officer can be.” Soonyoung shrugged.

 

“It’s very strange how class clown Kwon Hoshi became Inspector Kwon Soonyoung.” Jihoon sneered. No one expected that this is what Soonyoung would have become.

 

“Hey! I’m still a clown.” Soonyoung laughed.

 

Their jokes and laughter was short lived when a man in a ski mask barged into the diner yelling that he was going to rob the place. He held one of the waitresses with one hand, and a knife on the other.

 

“You just had to be off duty today.” Jihoon muttered as they watch the helpless girl struggle against the man. “I have my badge, but I don’t have my gun.”

 

“Ah yeah. I know dad, but- Yes dad. Okay. But- Okay dad. I get it, but- OH MY GOD DAD! PLEASE STOP!” A young man with glasses entered the establishment after what was likely to be a heated conversation with his father. He was too focused on that conversation that he hadn’t noticed that there was a robbery taking place.

 

“Oh my god.” Soonyoung cursed. This guy was about to get ed. Right on cue, the guy bumped into the robber and dropped his phone.

 

“I’m sorry.” He apologized before noticing the knife on the robber’s hands.

 

The robber’s eyes gleamed as he turned towards the guy. “You wanna die kid?”

 

The guy started squirming at the sight of the knife. “N-no.” He stuttered.

 

“Good. Now, slowly go down on the ground and ing stay there.” The robber ordered. The guy was frozen in fear, he stood there mortified. “You deaf kid? Get down on the ing ground?” He said as he removed the guy’s glasses with the tip of his knife. In a second, his expression changed. His eyes became fierce, his stance became strong, all the fear that was in the awkward guy who entered disappeared.

 

“Do you know who you’re messing with punk?” The guy asked the robber.

 

“Huh?”

 

He flicked his hands up. “I am the determiner of Justice, defender of the weak, and hero of the masses. I am Super Gecko Man!”

 

Soonyoung just glared at him. He clearly imitated the hero from an old super hero show. He looked at Jihoon who clearly looked impressed at that guy.

 

The guy started bouncing up and down like a kangaroo, ready to pounce at the robber.

 

“I don’t know what the you’re on kid, so get down on the ing ground before I knife you.” He growled. He released the waitress and now set his sights to attacking the new guy.

 

“Fear is not in my vocabulary.” He announced. “I, Lee Seokmin, am Super Gecko Man. And I shall put you in your place.”

 

The robber went in to stab Seokmin, but the latter took a side step and maintained his gecko pose. Seokmin then did a very awkward kick at the robber which made both him and the perpetrator fall on the ground.

 

Jihoon snapped Soonyoung back to reality. “Psst. Officer Kwon, make that arrest now.”

 

"Oh. Right." Soonyoung put his badge on and sprung into action and held the criminal down.

 

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can not afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights as they have been given to you?” He narrated.

 

Seokmin tried to look for his glasses on the floor. “Looking for these?” Jihoon asked as he held them. Seokmin immediately grabbed them and put them on. “Thank you sir.”

 

The older (but much shorter) man smirked. “Are you in any way interested in theater?”

 

“Huh?”

 ------

 In another side of the City, a devilishly handsome man was on his way to a bar. He heard the whispers around him.

 

“Isn’t he that Chinese actor?”

 

“The one on the tabloids every other week?”

 

“Wow, he’s hot.”

 

Junhui heard that comment and made his way to the cute girl who said that. He gave her a wink and he knew she must have internally melted.

 

“Yo! That’s my girl you little !” The man beside her cursed.

 

“Your ex-girl. We’ve been off for a month.”

 

The man grabbed her by the wrist, “Don’t mean that bastard can just make eyes at you like that. Ain’t he the on the tabloids?” He spat out.

 

Junhui immediately punched the man on the groin making him release his ex-girlfriend’s wrist. “Is that really how you treat ladies? No wonder you guys aren’t together anymore.”

 

“Why you little ! Who the do you think you are? The man tried to punch Junhui back, but the Chinese man just dodged the punch and received another blow from Junhui, knocking him out. “Wen Junhui. Don’t forget it.”

 

“Th-Thank you.” She blushed. Junhui knelt down and kissed her hand. “No problem, my lady.”

 

“Is there anything I can do to repay you?” She asked. Junhui stood up and smirked. “Maybe a date. I was supposed to go to a bar tonight but maybe a fancy restaurant with a pretty girl is something better.”

------ 

“Miss, there are no more available seats for this movie. You have to understand that you were not allowed to enter without a ticket. Please wait for the next screening.” The usher said. The blonde girl didn’t take no for an answer.

 

“But…” She whispered into his ear before blowing into it. “I really want to watch it.”

 

She grabs on to the back of his neck and teased the usher. “It’s not nice to keep a lady from doing what she wants…”

 

“I- uh.”

 

She gave him a small peck on the cheek and blew into his ear again.

 

“Iunderstandmisspleasedothatagain.”

 

She giggled and watched as the usher fell to his knees, flustered that such a pretty woman just did that to him.

 

She entered the cinema and immediately dropped her front. “ing ert.” Her voice drops into the tone of a man’s.

 

No one will ever know how amazing Yoon Jeonghan was at acting like a woman. He stood at the back and quietly watched the movie.

------ 

 “Excuse me, if you have the- Okay.”

 

“Do you want to- Okay.”

 

“If you have the time can you watch our show later at 8 pm.” The young man asked the people as he offered flyers for their show in the evening. Everyone just ignored the cute boy with the adorable dirty blonde curls on his head.

 

He was about to give up when a woman tapped his back and he immediately panicked. “I would like one.” She smiled.

Xu Minghao can feel his face flare up and he was about to go mad. A woman had just touched him. He was scared less. A WOMAN JUST TOUCHED HIM.

 

“Excuse me, sir?” She asked again with a look of concern on her face. She touched Minghao’s arm and Minghao freaked out. He fell backwards and was fortunate that things couldn’t get any worse.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked, bending down just enough for her cleavage to show. “!” Minghao screamed out before passing out. Last thing he thought before he lost consciousness was Junhui’s handsome face.

 ------

 “That’s it for today class.” He announced in Korean. Joshua Hong (aka Hong Jisoo) ended his classes for today a bit earlier than usual. They had a show tonight and if he came late, Jihoon would end him.

 

One of the students raised their hands and asked in English (he was glad it was a student who was pretty good at the language), “Mr. Hong, what about our last test? When are we getting it back?”

 

Oh crap. He forgot that he promised to have it checked by today.

 

“By tomorrow. Some unforetold circumstances occurred so I wasn’t able to finish checking it today.” The confused students looked at him. He repeated what he said in Korean and they said their good byes.

 

[text] Jeonghan, tell Jihoon I’ll be late. I have papers to check.

 

[text] Why don’t you directly text Jihoon?

 

[text] He changed his number and he never gave it to us.

 

[text] Good luck with the papers. Also, Jihoon says you’re still dead.

 

Jisoo sighed and sat down. Teaching was a well-paying job and he wouldn’t have to work part time in a theater troupe if he didn’t have his demon uncle as his landlord. Truth be told, his uncle has held a grudge against Jisoo’s part of the family ever since his mom left for America and he was left with the apartment complex. Now that Jisoo moved to Korea, his uncle has been nothing but hellish. The apartment complex was already bad to begin with and his uncle overpriced the place. Unfortunately, people need homes, even horrible ones like their apartment complex.

 

As he checked the papers, he hopes none of the students notice the blatant anime references in the questions.

 ------

“I’m really regretting getting you in to this Jihoon.” Soonyoung grimaced. He had ed up countless times that he now has actual ‘oh ’ senses.

 

Jihoon just gave him one of his know it all smirks. “Trust me, we’ll find the missing girl and I’ll treat you out. It’s embarrassing having you treat me out all the time. Come on Soonyoung, it’ll be fine. I promise.”