Meant To Be

A Million Goodbyes

Maybe you just didn't want to be alone. Maybe I was just a distraction. Why are you torturing me like this? I thought you loved me. You and I, we can start over.

 

You walk through the grassy fields on campus, clutching your notebooks to your chest, and make your way down to the music hall. Everyone knew that singing was your passion and you couldn’t live without it. In the midst of all the studying for exams, you always had to visit the studio at least once a day. Today was a little different, though. Today’s practice was a group practice. A couple of your friends and you had formed a small group and were asked to perform at a gig at the town square.

 

As you neared the room you reserved, you could hear Jihye practicing her parts. You smiled to yourself and reached for the handle before stopping. Was that a male voice you heard?

 

“Sing down. Don’t strain your throat. Use your diaphragm.” It was, in fact, a male voice. He repeated the phrase Jihye had just sung and your knees start to feel a little weak when you peek through the door. It was Jungkook. After last night’s events, you couldn’t help but smile a little to yourself before pushing the door open and walking in.

 

“Wow, no wonder you’re an idol. You have an amazing voice,” you state confidently and place your bag down. Jihye and Jungkook turn around at your voice and he walks toward you, smiling.

 

“Rina! Jihye told me you guys had practice today so I thought I’d tag along.”

 

The explanation didn’t exactly connect the dots, so you asked. “Why? It’s not like you have a part.” He winked at you.

 

“I didn’t come to sing; I came to see you.” His blunt reply caught you off guard, but you smiled at his cheesiness. You could feel your face heat up when he suddenly wrapped his arms around your waist and pecked you on the cheek.

 

Jihye feigned a disgusted look. Of course, Jihye loved that her brother and best friend were hitting it off great. She knew how lonely being an idol was. He had a group obviously, but it definitely wasn’t the same as being in a relationship. Jihye was even more happy for you. The two of you were best friends and frankly, there wasn’t much she didn’t know about you. That included your love for playing guitar, the funny little quirks you had when you studied, and also the nonexistent love life that just bloomed last night. Of course, Jihye loved that the two most important people in her college life had gotten together. Just… “Not in front of me, please.”

 

Before her brother could come up with a witty remark, the door opened, revealing 5 more girls. You escape Jungkook’s tight embrace and rush to give them hugs. “Yay! You’re all here! We should get started practicing so that we don’t fall behind.”

 

Jungkook stepped back and leaned against a table, smiling. You locked eyes with him and smiled back.

 

After he dropped you off at your dorm later, you stopped to think. You had met the dork two weeks ago and seen him only 3 of those 14 days. But, you still felt completely comfortable around him and loved his company. You weren’t sure, but it almost felt like the two of you were rushing the relationship, yet it seemed to be fated all along. Although you only got to know him yesterday, it seemed like he was destined to be yours all along. Two weeks fourteen days, that's all it took for me to fall for you.

 

The whirlwind of thoughts made you dizzy and you threw your bag on the couch, jumping into bed. You didn’t want to think. It was the beginning of something new in you and you just wanted to enjoy as long as you could. But, the nagging feeling in the back of your head wouldn’t go away.

 

You threw the covers off and grabbed your phone. His number had been saved in your phone for only two days, yet you already had it memorized. You dialed it and he picked up on the third ring.

 

“Sunshine?” it sounded like he was back with his band members. “Is something wrong?”

 

You smiled at his voice, already missing it. “No, I just want to see you. Are you busy right now? Can you come over?” He laughed. Oh how I miss his laugh; if only I could hear it one more time.

 

“Missing me already?” You hummed into the phone, affirmative.

 

“Yeah. I have something to ask,” you weren’t sure if he was going to take it the wrong way, but you felt it necessary to at least give him a heads up. A couple minutes later, you heard the sound of a car door slamming shut. Seconds later, there’s a knock on your door.

 

You hurry to open it and revealed a shivering Jungkook. “Hey, come in. Your sister is in the shower, so it’ll be-” Jungkook cut you off, rests his head on your shoulder and whispers, “You and I. We’re meant to be.”

 

You hadn’t even asked your question, but he answered it for you. You knew then that no matter what happened in life, he was the one to stay by your side.

 

Forever.

 

But I can still hear you voice inside my head. I can't get rid of it. You were my song and you still are. Why do you have to do this. It hurts me, how much you still love me. Why can't we just be free? Free from each other? We both know that's impossible because “we're meant to be”. Then why aren't you here with me now?  

 

 

Hey there! I know we've been updating pretty frequently, and we hope it'l stay that way! The two of us really enjoy writing this story! It will pick up in the next couple of chapters, we promise!