Paper Hearts

A Million Goodbyes

Looking back, we were so crazy in love. You and I.


 

It had been the best 11 months of your life. Every day, you looked forward to seeing his radiant smile and spending time in his embrace. You couldn’t help but feel that Jungkook was the one all along. Your relationship was perfect.

 

However, there was a lot of uneasiness to your relationship. For one, your parents didn’t approve of Jungkook at all because he seemed like a player and his busy life as an idol was unappealing to them. They pestered you a lot about it but you generally ignored their comments about him. After all, to you, he was the one.

 

It was the day before he went on tour. The two of you were cuddling on the couch, watching a boring soap opera. His arms were around you and you leaned against his chest. It was hard to think that you guys wouldn’t have these moments for a long time. You took a deep breath to calm yourself but dissolved into fits of tears. “Do you have to go?” He gently your hair.

 

“It’s okay, it’s only two months. It’ll be over before you know it.” Two months. He was right. Days became weeks, weeks became months. It wasn’t the same but you still got to see him everyday and hear his voice as the last sound before you went to sleep. Your life went on. You had work, school, and other stuff to worry about. Soon, you were back in his arms, but the quicker he came, the quicker he was gone. He became more and more famous, gaining more and more fans. Of course you were happy for him, but you missed him.

 

Each time, it was two months. You hated this cycle. Your phone calls and texts became shorter and less heartfelt. You barely FaceTimed at all anymore. You missed him so much your heart hurt. Worse, it seemed like it didn’t affect him very much,like it didn’t matter to him if you were there or not. When he finally picked up, to your dismay, he would always tell you he was too busy and that he couldn’t talk.

 

The next time he came back from tour, he felt like a stranger, so distant. So, You decided to confront him about it. “Jungkook…” you say timidly, “What’s going on?”

 

To your surprise, he snaps at you, “Rina, as I’ve been telling you for the last 12 months, I’M BUSY! Not everyone has time for distractions. Seriously, stop being so ignorant.” This was the first time he had ever raised his voice at you. Worse, he had called you what? A distraction? “I was right Jungkook. I don’t even know you anymore.” You walk out of the room with tears stinging at the back of your eyes, but you refuse to let them fall. You shoved past a very confused Jihye who had just come back from buying groceries for the week. “Hey Jungkook you’re back! Rina, where-” Jungkook stuck his hand in his hair, slightly frazzled.

 

The next time you saw him, it was December in Seoul. All the happy couples coming into the coffee shop made you miss him even more. You were starting to get sick and worse and Jungkook wasn’t by your side. You needed medicine, but could barely get out of bed without falling over. Jihye was out dancing most of the time and your other friends seemed to have found themselves significant others as well. Finally, you decide to call him, expecting no answer. Surprisingly, he picked up on the first ring.

 

“Jungkook? I-”

 

Before you could even start your sentence, you were interrupted by a painful set of coughs, that made your chest sting. Your whole body began heating up as you struggled to stay upright. Wincing, you could hear Jungkook’s voice.

 

“RINA! What’s going on? Why didn’t you tell me you were sick? Are you okay?”

 

You managed to croak an “I’m fine.” but obviously you weren’t.

 

“Rina… stay where you are. I’m coming.” You weren’t exactly sure what that meant, but you decided to do as you were told. It all went black after that.

 

The next thing you remember is lying on a familiar bed with a cool towel draped against your forehead. Someone was sitting beside you and holding your hand. His body was slumped over onto the bed, and you catch the familiar scent of cologne.

 

“Jungkook? You’re here? Wha-”

 

“Shh… just rest now sunshine. Do you need anything?”

 

He smiled at you tenderly as he gently pushed a stray piece of hair behind your ear and kissed your forehead.

 

“Jungkook, you’re going to get sick if you keep kissing me.” You smile weakly.

 

“It’s okay. That means you can take care of me.” You sit up a little too fast and grabbed onto Jungkook to steady yourself. He only looked at you and chuckled softly. Putting a hand on your back, he slowly pushes you back onto the bed. “Stay still. I’ll take care of you until we have to switch roles.”

 

You smiled up at him until something hit you. “Jungkook… why didn’t you call me after I left the other day?”

 

He sighed. It was deep and sounded rather regretful. “I don’t know. I guess I just didn’t have the confidence to. You were right, Rina. I guess my schedule just got too hectic and I took out my stress on you. I was waiting for you to call me since I was being a coward.”

 

You stared up at him. Was he telling the truth? You decided to trust him. “It’s okay. I’m glad you’ve finally come around though. I was missing you.” Your smile was genuine and his sad eyes lit up a little.

 

“I love you, Rina. So much.”

 

“I love you, too, Kookie. Don’t ever leave me.” He leaned down to hug you.

 

“I won’t. Ever.”


 

Pictures I’m living through for now, trying to remember all the good times now. Our life was cutting through so loud memories are playing in my dull mind. I hate this part paper hearts and I’ll hold a piece of yours. Don’t think that I would just forget about it.

 


 

The last paragrah was Tori Kelly's Paper Hearts. Go check out Jungkook's cover of it (shamelessly promoting)! 

Things are starting to pick up!