Emergency

Midnight Circus

14: Emergency


     Suzy fiddled in her spot as her coughing grew worser and she was having a hard time breathing. 

     She wasn't usually this sick, but being at a foreign place made her body weaker than it already was. Not to mention, all the harsh training made her pretty weak and she wasn't really given a proper day to rest. 

Zico glanced at Suzy who continued to cough and grabbed his wallet, slowly standing up.

"Zico," the emergency sector director rushed into the room, panting. "Thank god you're here."

"What?" he spun his chair and stared at the director who looked extremely distressed. 

"There's been a huge riot in the entertainment department and there's at least 5 critically injured," he blurted. "We have to go now."

"Send him," Zico kicked Taehyung's chair.

"I'm working on the papers for neuroanalysis," he refused. "It's due midnight." 

"Then send her," Zico pointed at Suzy.

"It's Jooheon," the director sighed. "Suzy's not going to be able to handle him."

     Zico sighed and stood up, taking his doctor's coat off and throwing it on his table. He grabbed his large bag and was about to walk out the door when he saw Joohyuk stand up with a nervous smile.

"If you don't mind," Joohyuk said awkwardly. "I want to go too."

"Aren't you the newbie?" the director asked. "It's pretty hectic. You don't want to damage your first day."

"Yeah," Zico glared at him. "It's not a place for a freshman." 

"I've treated many cases like this sir," Joohyuk smiled. "I'll be fine."

"Alright then!" the director nodded.

"Be careful," Suzy croaked as the both of them turned around and nodded, glaring at each other. 

"What's with those two?" Taehyung asked as soon as the two left the room. 

"Who knows," Suzy shrugged and returned to her work, coughing.

 

     "Lee Jooheon," the director said as they got in the medical mobile and started the engine, checking for all the supplies in the shelves. "Was in half drunk state when he assaulted one of the waitresses at a club. Her guest - presumably her boyfriend confronted him and they got into a huge fight. The boyfriend has been stabbed five times with a glass shard around the lower abdomen, and 4 other witnesses are also reported to have severe injuries."

"ing bastard," Zico cursed.

"Oi," the director glared at Zico through the front mirror. "Cut down on the language."

"Lee Jooheon..?" Joohyuk said as he tried to think of the familiar name.

"The tard in the locker room," Zico stared at Joohyuk. "That day I beat him up."

"Oh, him?" Joohyuk gasped.

"While you guys were away in training, we've already made 5 emergency trips because of the mess that bastard made." the director said in annoyance.

"What department does he belong to anyway?" Joohyuk asked. "He always.. seems to be at the entertainment department."

"Food," Zico snorted.

"Food?"

"He's stuck in that little shop making dumplings all day," Zico snickered. "No wonder he wants to move departments."

"Well why didn't he?"

"Here in Rubicon, everyone has something called merits. Everyone starts off with 200, and if you can manage the full merit, you can apply for department change."

"But then Jooheon would probably be at the bottom of the list," Joohyuk said. 

"Yeah," the director laughed. "He's going to have to make a million dumplings to make up for that."

"But wouldn't keeping him at a department he doesn't want to be at be a trigger for more crime?"

"They've been discussing that in the Head Department office for some time so they've looked into it. But Jooheon's requested for the entertainment department every single time, and the leaders know what's going to happen if they put Lee Jooheon in there."

"But you never know-"

"Dude," Zico glared at Joohyuk. "Just shut up."

"Did you just tell me to shut up?"

"Let's get off," the director stopped the mobile. "Make sure you grab all the kits."

Joohyuk and Zico shoved each other as they got off the mobile with the heavy kits in each hand.

     

     Joohyuk flinched as he walked into the club and saw all the girls dressed in extremely short and revealing dresses that showed practically almost all of their cleaveage. He jumped and rushed infront as he felt a girl slap his , seeing a large crowd circled infront of the cocktail bar. There were shards of glasses strewn all over the floor from all the drinks that had been knocked over from the shelves. 

"Please turn the lights on," the director said annoyedly as he looked around at all the club lazer lights shooting around the place.

     There was a young man who laid on the floor coughing out blood as he clutched the large piece of glass that was stuck near his lower abdomen. Zico gently lifted his head and placed his jacket under his head and wiped the blood that leaked out of his mouth.

"There's another stab near the iliac artery," Joohyuk said as he examined the man's body. 

"The bleeding isn't too severe," the head director said as he put his latex gloves on. "There's a chance it hasn't hit the arteries."

"His breathing is uneven," Zico blurted. "His pulse is weak."

"Keep him awake. We can't lose him."

 

     The three finished the emergency care and returned to the Medical center, treating the others at the scene.

     Zico sighed in annoyance as he stared at Jooheon who sat on the patient bed glaring right back at him. Jooheon had severe scars on his face and a small would near his chest, and it just happened so the head director put Zico in charge of him.

"Why're you always breaking our peace?" Zico spat. "We have better things to do than treat beasts."

     Jooheon scoffed and kicked the Heart rate monitor, watching as it crashed across the wall. Zico glared at him and dragged the monitor back, placing it in the corner of the room; out of Jooheon's reach.

Zico forced Jooheon's leather jacket off him and lifted up his shirt, examining the scar near his chest.

"Luckily the scar isn't too deep," Zico said in a monotone. "But don't give any pressure around the chest area."

Zico dipped the cotton pad in alcohol and roughly dabbed it across his scar. Jooheon hissed in pain and kicked Zico on the leg, Zico kicking back automatically.

"It ing hurts," Jooheon scowled.

"My eyes hurt having to dress a piece of too," Zico fake smiled.

Zico put some antibiotic cream on the scar and stamped a sterilized gauze on it, snorting as Jooheon scowled in pain.

"Are there really that less doctors here?!" Jooheon shoved Zico aside and walked out into the corridor. "Out of everyone, had to be that bastard."

He spat on the floor and limped away, clutching his chest in pain.

"Ungrateful piece of ," Zico muttered as he packed away the dressing equipments and rolled his shoulders.

     Zico packed his things and walked past the pharmacy, retrieving his steps as he walked back to the pharmacy. He zipped his wallet open and bit his lips; he spent most of his money for the month and it was some time left before his next pay came in.

"Can I get a cough medicine?" Zico said as he handed over the only money he had left. 

     He walked up the stairs with the medicine bag in his hands, walking toward the small office room that was dimly lit. Taehyung sat in his desk working on his paper frantically as he continued glancing back and fro at the clock and his paper.

"Where's Suzy?" Zico asked as he looked around the room.

"She went back to the dorm early."

"She's that sick?"

     "She looked really stuffed so I took her out to the creek near the back mountain," Taehyung said as he continued flipping through his book. "We splashed around a little and I think she felt a little sick."

"You stupid," Zico smacked his head. "Why would you take a kid who's already sick out to the creek? Didn't you hear her coughing?"

"What?" Taehyung blurted. "She said she wanted to go."

"It's really a question to as how you're even in the medical center." 

"What's up with Suzy and this pampering?"

"What?"

"Joohyuk just came in asking the same thing," Taehyung said. "He's probably on his way to Suzy."

"Why'd you tell him?!" Zico seethed as he rushed out of the office.

"Why am everyone hate me?" Taehyung groaned as he checked the clock, frantically realizing he hadn't finished his paper. 

 

 

     Zico ran towards his bike and threw the medicine bag in the basket infront, cycling with fast speed as he sped through the people and took a shortcut through the back alley. He felt more impatient as there were more people crowding the alleyway and shoved them as he sped through. 

Joohyuk just came in asking the same thing. He's probably on his way to Suzy.

"Who does he think he is?" Zico muttered. "Why does he keep popping out of nowhere?"

     Zico threw the bike near the bike rack and grabbed the medicine bag, running toward the dorm building. He kicked the door open and rushed up the stairs, rushing into the girls bedroom and ignoring their cussing.

Zico looked around the room that was dimly lit and coughed; it just occured to him that he ahd never been in this room. 

"What are you doing in the girls room-" Jungyeon burst in but went silent seeing the medicine bag in his hands. 

Zico looked to the corner and saw Suzy buried inside her blanket with a small towel on her forehead.

     He sat infront of her bed and stared as she slept sound asleep like an angel. He had never noticed how white her skin was or how long her eyelashes were as they laid gently under her eyes.

His heart started pounding softly as he felt his cheeks getting hotter.

"What's wrong with me," he slapped himself and looked to the side, staring at her bedside table.

     There was a small silver lined picture frame, and inside was a picture of Suzy and Joohyuk standing next to each other. Joohyuk had his arms around Suzy who was holding a bunch of flower bouquets. Behind them was a large banner that read Seoul Science High School 47th graduation.

Zico felt a pang of disappointment as he stared at the two people in the frame. 

"What are you doing here?" Suzy asked as Zico flinched.

"I'm just.. don't misunderstand I'm just here because Taehyung said that he was slightly concerned that you might be sick so he sent me and just-"

"Okay," Suzy cut him off and smiled. 

"Here," he threw the medicine bag at her. 

"Cough medicine?"

"If you fall sick during the game, I'm the one who has to suffer." Zico said, averting eyes with her. 

"Sorry," she shrugged.

"Take it and go back to sleep. I'm going." Zico stood up and rushed out of the room, stumbling back as Joohyuk entered the room.

"What are you doing here?" Joohyuk asked, raising his eyebrow.

"This is my dorm," he said sarcastically.

"Since when did you sleep in the girls' dorm?"

"Are you guys fighting again?" Suzy called out weakly from the corner.

"No," Joohyuk said cheerfully and walked toward Suzy with a bunch of things in his hands.

Zico cursed under his breath and walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

 

"Why'd you barge into our room like that?" Jungyeon spat. "Do you like Suzy or something?"

"Shut up," he murmured and walked into the boys' dorm, crashing onto his bed. 

He stared at the ceiling as the picture in the frame filled his thoughts. 

He wanted to get angry, but he knew he couldn't. 

"Mingyu," Zico poked Mingyu with his foot, waking up the poor boy who was sound asleep.

"What?" he croaked in annoyance but didn't defy in the fear that Zico would beat him up again. 

"Is it normal for someone to feel angry and annoyed and pissed off if you feel as someone is trying to steal your friend away?"

"What?" Mingyu glanced at Zico with a funny face.

"Just answer my question." he threw a cushion at Mingyu.

"It's not.. abnormal no," Mingyu trailed off. "But it depends."

"On what?"

"If it's a guy you're jealous over, it can make some sense. But a girl? That's a whole another story."

"What do you mean,"

"Are you really asking because you don't know?"

Zico gave Mingyu the death glare.

"Stop looking at me like that hyung," Mingyu sighed in annoyance. 

"Just say it Mingyu," Zico blinked. "You're getting on my nerves."

"It's obvious," Mingyu chuckled half heartedly. "He likes her."

Mingyu stood up and walked toward the door. "Do you want juice?"

"No," Zico murmured as he stared at the ceiling, blinking consecutively.

 

It's obvious, He likes her.