you’re like warm sunshine, i’m like ice

to be home; to be real

 

you're like warm sunshine, i'm like ice

His mind was racing with thought as he speeds up the car. Woohyun grips the wheel tighter and makes his knuckles turn white. His eyes wildly glare the view in front of him—blurry and it’s a miracle he’s still not gotten into accident at this rate. When his car finally reaches their home, his heartbeat almost stops finding one strange car parked in the yard. Speculations run through his mind and in no time, anger already fills in him again.

But that doesn’t feel quite right. He almost feels like regret and lost, and crestfallen.

Nam Woohyun fears Park Chorong would be kept away from him.

He’s rushing inside and finds Wu Yifan crossing his leg while sitting on one of the sofa. The taller (if Woohyun is insecure he would already claim the model was the tallest guy in the world) guy doesn’t move from his position and only gives Woohyun a look. It irritates Woohyun a lot, he doesn’t know why.

Woohyun shuffles his feet toward the stairs, ignoring the unwelcomed guest when Yifan’s baritone voice stops his step.

“Nana is worried about her sister.”

Woohyun holds in his breath, trying to restrain himself from the outburst that bubbles up in his mind, although he’s ready to retort back with whatever this taller guy feels worth to lecture him.

“I should thank you before. Arranged marriage is .”

For a moment Woohyun is startled and can’t decide whether Wu Yifan is mocking him or not. When he sees no trace of insulting smile on Yifan’s face, he comes to conclusion that Yifan means no harm with his words. Im Jinah almost became Nam Woohyun’s bride once, after all. But then flash of memory occurs to Woohyun’s mind and his face turns grim, solemnly replies.

I have no right to complain! I’m not the Im breed! They help me to live, what an ungrateful child I am to be complaining over my angels?!

“You should thank Jinah’s sister instead.”

Yifan exhales heavily, uncrossing his leg. He stares at Woohyun right in the eyes before voicing out his words. “I know,” He looks troubled, a little bit guilty, but Woohyun doesn’t want to buy a model’s facial expression. Yifan coughs. “Can you, uhm, can you tell her my gratitude for me? I don’t think I can say it with my own mouth right to in front of Chorong’s face.”

Woohyun’s expression becomes hardened as his jaw tightened. He doesn’t say anything in return and spins his heels to go upstairs, leaving Yifan alone to deal with silence and guilt. But he can’t walk further and barge in to Chorong’s and his bedroom once he hears a faint sob in earshot.

Chorong cries softly, and Woohyun believes she already cried for a while. He’s gulping down in attempt to ease his nerve only to avail.

“I’m sorry Chorong-ah, say, what should I do? Let me talk to omma so you—“

Ahem.”

He may have lost his mind. Or Woohyun has already lost his mind since Park Chorong came into his life. Like what his friends said, he’s the Casanova. He has dated so many girls back then—pretty, y, chairman’s daughters, all those kind of girls only to find his life would be stuck with such an uptight woman called Park Chorong.

At first, he’s kind of disappointed. It’s true. He thinks the only decent payback for his history is the super model Im Jinah—she’s flawless, a perfection. He didn’t even know Park Chorong. How come the most desired bachelor like him ended up with such ‘nobody’ girl. It hurt his-so-called-pride and the only source to blame it all is the pitiful girl who lawfully wedded as his wife.

But there’s another reason for him to be so cold toward her.

“I’m sorry, Jinah-ssi, can I talk to my wife now?”

“Bastard!” As fast as Jinah’s hand flies to slap him, Woohyun’s hand reacts faster to hold hers.

“I’m sorry, I think I’ve had enough slap today.” He says, maintaining his cold tone. Jinah turns furious instantly, but someone holds her and slowly keeps her away from him. When Woohyun’s eyes search for the shining knight, they meet with Yifan’s understanding gaze. The taller guy nods weakly before dragging angry Jinah out of the room.

It suddenly becomes a dread silence. Like usual, Chorong thinks. Like usual, Woohyun thinks.

Woohyun gazes the woman on the bed, face pale and tears on her cheeks. Her nose is red, her eyes are lifeless.

“Chorong-ah, I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness.” He starts, cautiously. The gap between them is too distant, as distant as her dead stare. She looks at him cynically—he’s lost her trust, and he doesn’t blame her. “But please hear me out just this time.”

Her lips twist, there’s a mocking smile there. “Nam Woohyun.” She spells his name, trembling, hoarse and betrayed. “Of course you’ll always have something to say.”

“Honestly, I was disappointed.” He doesn’t want to lose his chance and begins his confession. “I was a wicked creature. I’ve had with so many women before. My ego told me Im Jinah was the perfect reward for me. I was angry, at everyone. But you said nothing, so what could I do?”

He takes three steps closer, only to stop when she speaks up with her menacing voice.

“You could do anything. Cancel the marriage deal. It’s not like we’re soul mate or something.”

Woohyun wishes he can be the one who makes her smile instead of the one who causes tears to her heart. When they look at each other, her hatred is clearly sent to him, between the crystal liquid that drops again onto her cheeks. He wants to wipe it off badly, oh he wishes he can be a true gentleman for her just once.

That.” He forces his steady voice to come out, although he can’t recognize his own voice. “But that is the one which disappointed me the most.”

He watches how her eyes turn big and her lips open ready for counter attack but he continues.

“You let them decide your life. You aren’t in control for your own. You would just accept whoever he was if they told you to accept him, wouldn’t you?”

There. He comes clean to her. Her eyes flicker into dark, she blinks continuously as if with that she can register better what he has said.

“I,” Her voice comes out breathless. “I, I don’t know.” She avoids his gaze now.

Woohyun smiles bitterly. He hates the fact he feels hurt by her answer. No, he shouldn’t, right?

“Because of your character, you won’t fall in love with me, right? Because for you the marriage is the obligation you need to obey.”

Woohyun hates how he sounds bitter now, like he’s been falling for her. Chorong’s body becomes stiff as her eyes wildly search anything to stare but him. She bites her lower lip in desperation. When she opens , her voice sounds weak and helpless.

“Woohyun-ah,” They lock gazes for a split second before Chorong breaks it first—but she sees the unbelievable thing she doesn’t know how to react; it’s the truth. And a clear hurt. “I, I don’t know about that too.” She waits a heartbeat. “You didn’t make it any easier too for me to fall for you.” She doesn’t think it’s the appropriate time to blush, but she still does.

There’s a light of relief and disbelief in flickers in his eyes before he comes forward again. This time isn’t just for three steps—he only stops when his feet reaches the wood of the bed.

“I know.” His voice is barely audible. “It upsets me, to know that I will spend the rest of my life with someone who can't love me.” His voice is trembling and broken. "I'm sorry." He sincerely is.

"Well," She speaks up after heaving a sigh. "We don't know about that, do we?"

Chorong looks up, she still looks guarded but at least a smile is there although it’s the awkward one. Her hand hesitantly reaches for his and Woohyun intertwines their fingers in slow motion. And like magic, the warmth spreads to their hand almost immediately, like that's how their fingers should beconnected to each other.

“This is the new start then.” She softly whispers, staring at him in assurance.

His face is painted with one faint smile as he whispers back, full of hope.

“It is.”

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: gifs credit to fywhgifs & fyeahchorong on tumblr