A Good Person

Plot Twist

They ordered two pies and the TV while waiting. It was a music show with tons of musicians gathering around for the final stage. Both Dara and Seunghyun were quiet, not really knowing what to talk about.

“Hey, can I use your phone? I should tell my family that I’ll be home later.” Dara just wanted an excuse to break the silence.

“Sure, and the charger is on that table over there so you can charge your phone.”

“Thank you.” Dara walked over to plug in her phone while she dialed her mom’s number. The room was silent again except for the low volume of the TV. She walked a little further into the hall when her mom picked up.

“Hey, yeah sorry I couldn’t pick up my phone died. I’m going to be home a little later.” Seunghyun could still hear Dara, and while he didn’t want to eavesdrop on her conversation, he didn’t really have a choice.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Uh…I’m at a friend’s house. Mhm, don’t worry I’m safe I’ll be home when the rain gets better. Okay bye.” Seunghyun smiled at her hesitation before saying the word ‘friend,’ her mom would probably freak if she knew that Dara was at a guy’s house. He remembered how protective her mom had always been. Dara was now walking back into the living room and Seunghyun went back to pretending that he was interested in the ads.

“Thank you…” Dara stared at Seunghyun as she took her seat on the sofa again.

“What?”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah…”

“Who was that on the phone today? When I called you earlier.”

“Oh.” Seunghyun thought she was going to ask something else.

“He’s Jiyong, my friend and also my partner. Why?”

“Just asking, he sounded like he didn’t like me.”

“He was just being stupid, he’s never met you how could he dislike you?”

“That’s true. I’m guessing you two are close if you started a business together?” Dara turned her body to face him.

“Yeah, I guess you could say he’s my best friend.” Dara laughed at how hesitant he was to give his friend that title.

“Then why do you sound like you don’t like him?”

“No, I do. He just can be a lot to handle at times but I guess I am too so we’re equal.”

“You’re a lot to handle? You don’t seem like it.” The look on Dara’s face showed her disbelief.

“I guess it’s because you don’t know me that well yet.” Dara liked the sound of the word “yet,” she wanted to get to know him.

“Ha, maybe. So how did you two meet?” Seunghyun had angled his body to face her as well. She was now sitting pretzel style, it was cute.

“We met in our second year of college, in a design class. I was falling asleep and he nudged me to tell me that the professor was staring at me.” Dara laughed out loud at his story, she wasn’t expecting him to be type to fall asleep in class.

“Wow, then what happened?”

“After class, I thanked him and was about to walk away when he asked if I wanted to go get some lunch. I went, and we ended up becoming friends. In the beginning, I had no interest in architecture at all but I think it was because Ji kept talking about buildings and their ‘amazing’ features that it just stuck with me. I began to pay attention in class more and realized I enjoyed it a lot, and wasn’t so bad at it myself.”

“Yeah right, ‘not so bad.’” Seunghyun was happy she thought he was talented.

“I mean I’m good, but Ji is definitely the better designer between the two of us. But, I am more reasonable I guess that’s why our business works so well. He comes up with the crazy ideas and I tone them down to make them more affordable and realistic.”

“Wow you two sound really close. I wish I had a friend like that.” Seunghyun wished she could remember him and how close they really were back then.

“You don’t have a best friend? Or someone you see yourself most comfortable with?” Dara immediately imagined Youngkwang.

“I guess, but I don’t think I consider him my best friend.”

“What’s his name?”

“Youngkwang, I met him through work when I was starting out as an assistant. He’s sweet.” The light in Dara’s eyes was enough to tell Seunghyun that she didn’t see Youngkwang as just a friend.

“Well I’m sure you’ll find someone who you can think of to be your best friend.” Seunghyun hoped it would be him again.

The door bell rang and Seunghyun got up to pick up his wallet before answering the door.

“Can I pay? You bought coffee last time.” Dara was reaching for her purse as well.

“Nope. My house, my treat.” Dara gave him a look while he went to tend to the delivery man. Seunghyun was walking back inside with the boxes in his hand when Dara said “You know, I’ll be living here from now on too.” She still had the mean look on her face, but it only made Seunghyun chuckle.

“You’re right. Next time you can pay.” He set the boxes down on the coffee table and sat on the floor, pretzel style. Dara moved down next to him.

“What happened? Are you that happy to see food?” He was referring to the smile on her face.  Another nasty look was sent his way.

“No, I just didn’t expect to see you be so comfortable and free. When we met you looked so… uptight? That’s not the right word but yeah.” She finally took notice of what he was wearing, a simple white long sleeved shirt, that fit him pretty nicely, and a pair of black sweats. He was also bare feet. It made him seem more charming. 

“Oh. It’s because I’m at home.” He left it at that and failed to mention that he always felt at ease next to Dara, even after all these years.

The two ate while having a light conversation and watching a show that was on TV. After a while something occurred to Dara.

“Won’t Shin Min Ah-ssi mind that we’ll be living together?” That was the last thing Seunghyun thought would come out of Dara’s mouth.

“Min ah?”

“Yeah. She’s your girlfriend right? I’d expect her to be against you living with someone else.”

“Why do you think she’s my girlfriend?”

“…I saw that picture of you two on your stand, and you didn’t deny it when I asked you about your girlfriend’s clothes.” Seunghyun’s eyes darted over to the turned over frame and he cursed himself for not putting that away.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have looked at that picture…” Dara was scared he was mad at her for looking through his things.

“No, it’s fine. But um she’s not my girlfriend, well at least not at the moment.”

“What does that mean?”

“Um, it’s complicated but we’re taking a break right now.” He wasn’t very comfortable talking about his love life but Dara wasn’t catching the hint.

“What happened?”

“Stuff…”

“Oh , I’m sorry this is totally stepping over the line. I didn’t mean to pry.” Seunghyun was glad she finally got the hint, so he gave her a small nod and a tight smile.

“But… that drawing earlier. It was her right? The eyes were very similar.” The girl wouldn’t stop.

“Can we talk about something else?” He gave Dara a look that was different from the laid back image he portrayed a few moments ago. He seemed colder and his eyes had that same intensity to it like when they first met.

“Uh huh, sorry…” Dara knew not to bring up Min Ah again…

Seunghyun got up with the excuse of getting himself some water. Dara also got up to look out the window, it was still raining but it wasn’t as bad now. She knew she had made things awkward between them with her big mouth and felt the need to leave before she made it worse. When Seunghyun came back to the kitchen he saw her picking her things up and putting her coat back on.

“I should go, the rain isn’t as bad. And I still need to finish packing. Thank you for the pizza.” She was about to make a run for it when Seunghyun called out her name.

“I’ll drop you off downstairs. You said you parked far, it’s late and the weathers bad.”

“It’s really okay, I’ll be fine.”

“No, it’s okay. Let’s go.”

The two stepped out into the rain under one umbrella, with Seunghyun not wearing a coat even thought it was December. The walk was quiet and awkward since Dara was trying her best to keep the maximum distance between her and Seunghyun without getting soaked again. They were finally at her car when she was about to enter after saying thank you she was stopped by his hand on her arm. She turned back around to face him.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have spoken to you like that before. It’s just I guess that topic is a sensitive topic and uh I’m not very comfortable talking about it just yet. Sorry.” Dara was amazed because she knew it was her fault but here he was dropping her off in the rain and standing in front of her looking embarrassed as he touched the back of his neck. She was going to like getting to know Seunghyun. He seemed like a good person.

“You don’t have to apologize. It was my fault, so I’m sorry. But, I’m glad we’re okay now.” Seunghyun gave her a soft smile, which seemed to be his signature smile.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night.”

“Good night, thank you for walking me to my car.” There was another smile as he got off the road to stand back on the sidewalk. He stood there until he gave her a small wave as she drove away. 

 

Enjoy!