Across the World?

Plot Twist

“What do you mean things would be different?” Dara looked over at the front view mirror to look at Seunghyun, but he was looking straight ahead on the road.

“You know, his relationships.” Jiyong was looking down at his phone now, checking his email.

“Why are you talking about my relationships when I’m sitting here?” Seunghyun was parking now.

“Would you rather us talk about it when you’re not here? We can do that, Dara let’s meet up one day, just us two.” Dara laughed at his sudden request.

“You guys are crazy, let’s eat. I’m hungry.” As they were walking down the street to the restaurant, Seunghyun grabbed Jiyong’s shoulder to hold him back.

“What the hell are you doing?” This was exactly the reaction Jiyong was expecting. If Seunghyun was this angry towards anyone else the person would be running, but Jiyong knew his best friend too well.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t act dumb. I don’t like Dara, not in that way.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Yeah, okay. I already knew that, but thanks for the confirmation.” Jiyong shrugged off Seunghyun’s hand and walked inside the restaurant.

As soon as they walked in the waitresses’ faces lit up. They all smiled towards the guys while Dara just watched in awe.

“Wow, how often do you guys come here?” Jiyong only smiled and pulled out a chair for her to sit in, and then took the seat next to her. Seunghyun rolled his eyes at his friend’s flirtatious ways and took the seat opposite of Dara. As they waited for their food, Jiyong decided to start up another conversation.

“So, Dara” those two words were enough for Seunghyun to feel another migraine. Dara on the other hand turned in her seat slightly to face Jiyong.

“Yes?”

“Does Seunghyun ever talk about me?” Jiyong made it a point to place his chin on his hands as he looked over at Seunghyun lovingly. Seunghyun looked disgusted.

“Uh, yeah actually he does.”

“Oh really? What does he say?”

“He told me about how you two met and how you got him interested in architecture.”

“Oh.” Jiyong sounded almost disappointed. Catching onto his tone, Dara continued.

“He also said how between the two of you, you’re the better architect. He’s jealous of your designs.”

“Really?” There was a stark difference between his tone now and a moment ago. He sounded very excited now.

“I never said I was jealous!” Seunghyun had to take control of the situation or Jiyong would never let him live this down.

“Yes you did! Don’t lie.”

“Aw my hyung is jealous of me? I’m flattered.” Jiyong was holding back his laughter because he knew now he really would get hit if he acted up. Seunghyun hated being embarrassed the most. And to prove this, Seunghyun was sending a subtle glare in Dara’s direction.

“Don’t be mad! It’s not like it’s a bad thing. You should always be honest about your feelings.”

“I agree! Honesty is always the most important.”

“You’re one to talk.” Seunghyun was mumbling now.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jiyong was challenging him.

“You’re barely honest!”

“No I’m not!”

“Please, you have 3 girls at one time and to each of those girls you tell them that you love them.”

“So. It’s possible to love more than one person at a time.”

“No it’s not. Plus do you really think you love those girls? You barely know them.” Dara was watching the banter between the two and decided to stay out of it.

“Fine, I’ll give you that. But I really do believe you can love more than one person at a time.”

“How?”

“You can have feelings for two people at the same time, you’ll just prefer one person over the other a little more.”

“That’s so selfish though.”

“Not if you hold onto both of them.”

“Yeah, but if you’re with someone and you know that you aren’t fully committed to that person because you have thoughts of someone else, that is selfish. And wrong.”

“I agree.” This time Dara spoke up.

“Really? Why?” Jiyong felt as if he was the puppet master, pushing two people together so that they can see what’s right in front of them.

“Do you really love the person you’re with if you think of someone else, no matter how small the thoughts are? When you’re in love, you basically become blinded. It’s scary but it’s also very exciting. Love keeps you on edge.”

“Wow, that was deep.” Jiyong continued after the waitress placed their orders down in front of them.

“Dara, you love Youngkwang right?” He kept his voice very nonchalant as he put a piece of sushi in his mouth. Seunghyun stopped his drink mid way when he heard Jiyong’s question.

“Yes.”

“How much?” Dara looked at Jiyong with slight confusion.

“I don’t know, why?”

“I was just curious because people always say some like ‘I love you to the moon and back’ or something just as cheesy.”

“Well I don’t really think you can quantify love, and I’m guessing from the sound of your tone, neither do you?”

“Yeah I think it’s bull, but Hyung here doesn’t think so.” Dara turned to Seunghyun in surprise.

“Really?”

“What?” Seunghyun didn’t like the attention he was getting from both of them.

“Don’t lie Hyung, when you were with Minah I heard you say some like that.”

“Well yeah I did say that.”

“But, you two broke up so did you really love her to the moon and back?” Dara didn’t think it was nice of Jiyong to bring up Seunghyun’s past relationship so easily, but maybe it was because they were so close that it was okay.

“I don’t know. But I do know that I really did love her, so when I said that I know I meant it at that moment.”

“I see.” There was a brief silence as everyone took a moment to take in the words said as well as the amazing food in front of them.

“It’s nice that Dara’s here with us,” she smiled at Jiyong’s words, Dara felt way more comfortable than she expected herself to feel. “We have deeper conversations, and we don’t talk about work. Thank god.”

“What do you two normally talk about?” Dara was curious mostly because she was jealous of their friendship.

“We talk about Jiyong’s incapability to be in an adult relationship for more than a week.” Seunghyun smirked as he took his revenge against Jiyong.

“Dude.” Jiyong was not happy, especially when Dara burst out laughing.

“I’m sorry, that was rude.” Dara couldn’t even keep a straight face as she apologized. “But really? A week?”

“No! He’s lying. What would Hyung know anyway, he’s only been with one girl.”

“Yeah, one girl for four years.” Seunghyun wasn’t embarrassed to admit to his past.

“Whoa, four years? And you broke up after that long?” Dara was amazed, but Seunghyun only gave her a sad smile.

 “I’ll have you know I can keep an adult relationship. I just choose not to.” This made Dara laugh again.

“And why is that?” Seunghyun decided to humor his friend.

“They’re not fun.”

“Ah, I see. You’re an idiot.” He could only shake his head at his friend’s childish mindset.

“Why am I an idiot? There’s too much drama in adult relationships. Why would I take a relationship where I constantly fight and am unhappy, when I can be with a girl that just wants to sleep with me with no strings attached?”

“If you’re in a relationship where you find yourself unhappy, that’s a bad sign. Not all relationships are like that.”

“Dara’s right, plus one day you’re just going to get tired of sleeping around.”

“Alright, I didn’t come out with you two to be lectured on my ways. Plus if you like being in relationships so much, why are you single right now?”

“Because, I don’t get into a relationship with the first girl I see. It takes time to find someone that you see yourself potentially spending the rest of your life with. They could be somewhere across the world.”

“Or they could be sitting right across from you.”

Jiyong’s words rung in Seunghyun’s ears as he understood what he meant. He looked at Dara, who was wrestling with a piece of shrimp tempura, and he found himself smiling at how focused she looked. Her eyebrows furrowed together as if she was looking at rocket science instead of food. When Seunghyun looked away before Dara could catch him staring, he caught eyes with Jiyong. Jiyong didn’t say anything, except raise his eyebrows and signal with his eyes as if he was actually saying I told you so. And at that moment, Seunghyun understood what Jiyong was doing this whole time, and only one word crossed his mind.

.