Chapter 4

The Best Gift

 

"Joohyun, when will you get a boyfriend?" 

 

"Mom, I don't need one right now," Joohyun dully answered this question her mom asks everyday.

 

"I'm just worried Joo. And, don't hang out too much with Taehyung. You'll never get a boyfriend with him next to you all the time" 

 

"I'd rather have Taehyung next to me than a boyfriend." 

 

This was their typical conversation at the dinner table. 

 

Joohyun wasn't the most popular girl in school, but she had some suitors. 

 

"Hey Joohyun, can we talk?"

 

Joohyun, who was in her locker getting her book, looked at the boy with confusion. 

 

"Luhan Sunbae? Sure."

 

"I thought for so long because I didn't know how to let you know. But I'll tell you straightforward. I like you."

 

Joohyun's eyes got bigger and dropped.

 

"What? Is this a… joke?"

 

"No, I'm serious. I liked you since last year. I'm surprised that you're surprised. I guess I wasn't able to show it very clearly," Luhan said seriously

 

"Oh…," Joohyun's faced got red and felt fluttered and uncomfortable.

 

"Do you want to go out with me?"

 

Before she could reply, someone called out, "Joo!"

 

They both turned and there was Taehyung, of course.

 

"Taetae, wait I'm talking. Can you wait outside?"

 

"Oh hello Luhan Sunbae," Taehyung greeted politely.

 

"Hi Taehyung," Luhan said, feeling uneasy with his presence.

 

"Then I'll be in front of the gate. Don't keep her for too long, Sunbae!" 

 

Like that, Taehyung left. He was actually overheard their conversation and was feeling uncomfortable. He always felt uncomfortable when someone liked or confessed to Joohyun. 

 

"Please say no, Joohyun," Taehyung thought as he waited outside. 

 

"Sorry for the interruption, Sunbae," Joohyun apologized on Taehyung's behalf.

 

"No it's fine. But what's your answer?"

 

"Uhh.. I.. I don't think I want to date anyone at this point," Joohyun answered apologetically.

 

"Is it because of Taehyung?"

 

"What? No! Of course not! Taehyung has nothing to do with my decision."

 

"You two seem just like other couples, you know although you guys always say that you guys are just friends. Aren't you guys just ignoring your feelings? Make it clear Joohyun. And, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable." Luhan said then left.

 

Joohyun just stood there, thinking about the words Luhan just said. 

 

'Do I like Taehyung?' 

 

"Joo! You slowpoke! Why aren't you coming?" 

 

It was Taehyung.

 

"W..Wait up Taetae. I'm getting my stuff."

 

Joohyun after getting her book, ran to Taehyung who was across the hall. 

 

"Here, let me help," Taehyung said as he took the books from her arms.

 

"No, it's fine Taehyung," Joohyun refused.

 

Taehyung looked at her as if something was wrong. 

 

"What's wrong with you? You'd normally make me carry all your stuff! You've changed."

 

"No, it's not that. It's too heavy for you," Joohyun joked and continued walking with her books in tightly held in her arms.

 

"Hey, I've been working out lately. Wanna see my biceps?"

 

"No thanks Taehyung, haha"

 

"Anyways, what did Luhan Sunbae say to you?" he asked although he knew everything. 

 

"I'm not telling you! It's privacy."

 

"Hey, no secrets between us."

 

Joohyun sighed and opened , "He.. he asked me to go out with him."

 

"WHAT? Why would he ask YOU?"

 

"Exactly. I thought he was joking at first."

 

"It wasn't a joke?"

 

"He seemed pretty serious."

 

"So what did you say?"

 

"Well, you know, I don't want to date yet and I don't even know anything about Luhan Sunbae. Why would I go out with him?"

 

"So you want to get to know him?"

 

"No. I just told him no."

 

"So you're only gonna date someone who you know well enough?"

 

"Of course. I can't just date any guy! I need to know what his personality is like and what kind of person he is. Dating isn't just for fun!" Joohyun said firmly.

 

"Wow. So serious, Joo. Then how about Jin hyung? You've known him for a long time."

 

"Tae, that's just not gonna happen." Joohyun said as she laughed.

 

"Then how about Jimin? He's a good guy, right?"

 

"Jimin is a good friend, but I can't imagine him as a boyfriend."

 

"Joohyun, I think you might never get a boyfriend." Taehyung said.

 

"Don't say that! I get enough of that from my mom already." Joohyun said as she pouted.

 

Taehyung chuckled and said, "If you don't get married by the time you're 27, I'll marry you."

 

Joohyun stopped at that sentence. And Taehyung also stopped and looked at her curiously.

 

"Taehyung you can't make silly promises like that!"

 

"No, it wasn't a joke. I'm serious."

 

"Why would you marry someone you don't even love?"

 

"But I do, Joohyun."

 

"No, not as a friend, Tae."

 

"Then you want me to love you like between man and a woman?" Taehyung came closer to her with a serious face.

 

"I.. I mean, not like.." Joohyun was stuttering and embarrassed, not knowing what to say.

 

"Well, that's not too hard because I've been trying so hard not to love you as a girl, Joo."

 

Joohyun's eyes got even bigger and her face turned red when she understood that statement.

 

"If you want, I'll be your friend for life. And if you want, I'll be your boyfriend and husband. You choose," Taehyung said sincerely.

 

Her heart stopped. Then it was racing so quickly that she couldn't find words to speak.

 

"I get it," Taehyung said with a smile then leaned in and kissed her.  

 


 

Epilogue

 

"Joohyun, I thought you said you don't need a boyfriend."

 

"Well, Jimin, things change," Joohyun answered him with a shy smile.

 

Taehyung put his arm around Joohyun and said, "Now Jimin, you should get a girlfriend too. Anyways, we have to go! Bye!"

 

"Go where?" Joohyun asked curiously.

 

"Just come with me," Taehyung said, dragging her away from Jimin.

 

Jimin just sighed and told himself, "It's okay Jimin. It's just gonna be a cold winter."

 

Ever since that day, Joohyun and Taehyung were officially dating, which made Joohyun's mom super happy. 

 

Where Taehyung brought Joohyun was the playground that they always go to.

 

"Why are we here, Taetae?"

 

"I heard it's gonna snow today. First snow!"

 

"Really?" Joohyun asked excitedly.

 

Taehyung smiled and nodded.

 

"Of course we can't miss our first snow tradition!" 

 

They watch the first snow fall every year at this playground since third grade.

 

"I've never imagined we would be where we are right now, Taehyung. Loving you and being loved by you is the best thing I've experienced in my whole life," Joohyun spoke will all sincerity. 

 

"Me too, Joo. It's my wish come true."

 

Then the snow flakes drifted, filling the air. 

 

"It's snowing Taetae!" Joohyun said as she jumped in excitement. 

 

Taehyung just smiled looking at Joohyun's childlikeness. 

 

"Man, I love this girl," Taehyung muttered, with his eyes fixed on Joohyun who was running around the playground.

 

"What did you say?" Joohyun asked.

 

"Nothing, Joo."

 

Joohyun came up to him and frowned. Taehyung couldn't help smiling at her cuteness. He suddenly hugged her.

 

"I love you Joo."

 

Hugging him back, Joohyun replied, "I love you too Tae. You're the best gift in my life."  

 


 

It's done!!!!Thank you so much for subscribing, commenting, and upvoting!  I hope you enjoyed the story. :)