Panel 5

Windows

Seungwan had been high on drugs. 

 

The very thing she had been dealing — she had turned to it for relief when the heartbreak of breaking up with Joohyun was too much for her to bear. The combination of drugs and a vengeful soul was what led to the terrible accident. 

 

While the convicted had only escaped with a few bruises and scraps, the victim wasn't as lucky. 

 

Rubbing the bandage around her head, Joohyun felt tears pooling at the corners of her eyes. 

 

She should have known that Seungwan had been intending to go after Seulgi all along. 

 

Joohyun had no recollection of what happened after the car hit the window and smashed it to smithereens. The force of the window breaking was enough to send her flying a couple of metres into a nearby table, her head hitting the edge causing her to black out instantly. 

 

The light from the car lights had been so glaring that she had not even witnessed Seulgi getting hit by the car and landing on the pile of broken glass. 

 

From the police statements, Seungwan had overdosed on drugs and she had lost consciousness as her body rejected the drugs, leading to the car stopping before it continued wrecking mayhem on the exhibition venue.  

 

And most importantly, before it continued on its course to hit Joohyun. 

 

Fortunately, paramedics were quick to arrive at the scene and they managed to stabilise Seungwan’s condition before racing her off to hospital. Within an hour or two she was out of the danger zone and by the next week, she was undergoing rehab. 

 

But right now, clutched in Joohyun’s arms was not something to help Seungwan with rehab but a portrait of her sitting in a coffee shop.  

 

The coffee shop Seulgi and her had first met at. 

 

This was the very portrait Seulgi had wanted to gift her that fateful night and since it was handed over to Joohyun, she had not let go of it for a single moment. To her, it was the only tangible object she could hold onto while she waited for the artist to awake. The smell of paint on the portrait smelt so much like Seulgi and it helped Joohyun to fall asleep, dreaming that Seulgi was embracing her while she did. Everyday, for hours on end, Joohyun would sit with the picture in front of her and pretend that the picture was Seulgi so that she could pray to God to help Seulgi get through this. 

 

Seulgi, oh poor Seulgi, had taken the brunt of the car crash. 

 

Her back was heavily bruised from the impact of the car crashing directly onto her. And even though her spine had escaped unscathed, she had landed face first onto the pile of broken glass. When medics had flipped her over, the sight had not been pretty at all. Glass shards were embedded all over her arms and thighs. A long, thick one had even lodged itself into Seulgi’s abdomen. Fortunately, the right side of her face had only been grazed slightly so ultimately, Seulgi was still recognisable. 

 

Both Joohyun and Seulgi were sent to the hospital immediately but Joohyun had gotten off with a few stitches. 

 

Seulgi, on the other hand, had to undergo a ten hour long operation.

 

By the time Joohyun had awoken from her concussion, the doctors were already done operating on Seulgi and had moved her to the intensive care unit. Of course, Joohyun had no knowledge of this but not seeing the artist next to her bedside when she woke up spoke volumes of what had most likely happened to her. 

 

She had begged the nurse taking care of her to tell her what had happened to Seulgi and when she had finally gotten a response, she had stumbled onto her feet and tried to run to where Seulgi was. But trying to run immediately after a concussion was the perfect recipe to send Joohyun into another fainting spell, leaving her unconscious till hours later. 

 

The moment she came to, she had immediately noticed the picture sitting on the bedside. Slowly, she reached out for it and loved how it already smelt like Seulgi, as though Seulgi had not left her for even a moment. At the back was a note addressed to her written in Seulgi’s neat handwriting. 

 

Joohyun:

 

I hope you like this portrait I drew of you. I’m not a stalker I swear! It’s just that I love drawing beautiful things and the first time I saw you…you were just so beautiful the moment I got home I just had to sketch this out and paint it. Thank you for accompanying me to the exhibition today I enjoyed your company very much. This is a token of my appreciation. I hope you accept it. 

 

Seulgi.

 

Thankfully Seulgi had painted the painting with acrylic paint otherwise Joohyun’s teardrops might have caused the colour to run. Joohyun had stared at the painting for an hour or two, picturing Seulgi sitting at her easel painting this, every of her brush, using her fingers to meld the colours together in places where the paint brush failed to do so and maybe even falling asleep as exhaustion befell her. 

 

When the urge to see Seulgi had become too much and simply looking at the painting would not suffice, Joohyun had dragged her feet to where Seulgi was. The nurse had informed her that her movements were going to become much slower since her brain was trying to recover from the trauma but nonetheless, the arduous journey did nothing to stop her from trying to reach the artist. 

 

Beads of sweat were beginning to form on her forehead as Joohyun finally arrived at the ICUs. Even though Seulgi was heavily bandaged, Joohyun could immediately identify her. Fresh tears sprung to her eyes as she saw Seulgi in her current state. She wanted so badly to reach out to her, to hold her in her arms again, to feel Seulgi’s touch on her telling her that she was going to be safe no matter what, to hear Seulgi whisper in her ear and make her laugh, to see that goofy grin on Seulgi’s face again. 

 

It was so ironic. Just when Joohyun had realised she had fallen so deeply for the artist, fate had to snatch her from her grasp. 

 

Please God, don’t take her away from me now. 

 

———

 

We need to place her in a medically induced coma. If she is conscious, the pain of the wounds would be too much.” 

 

It had been six hours since doctors had removed the drug that was keeping Seulgi in a medically induced coma and Joohyun had not left her bedside since. 

 

The only thing she wanted to do today was be there when Seulgi woke up. 

 

For that very reason, she had been fighting off sleep that was threatening to overtake her senses. Cupping Seulgi’s left hand in her palms, Joohyun rested her eyes for a moment before forcing them open. She was not going to fall prey to sleep today. 

 

And with a pair of sleepy eyes but a heart full of determination, Joohyun waited.

 

———

 

ing headache argh.

 

So tired. I need energy. Don’t have any strength to move my body.

 

Goddamit it’s so bright.

 

Even thinking is so tiring.

 

Joohyun.

 

Joohyun! 

 

Furrowing her eyebrows, Seulgi mustered all the strength she had in her to open her eyes. She had to see Joohyun. Was she alright? Was she hurt from the crash? Where was she now? 

 

“Seulgi?” 

 

That voice. 

 

A person was bending over her, long brown locks cascading down. Seulgi squinted, hoping her vision would focus soon because all she was simply seeing double at this moment. She wanted to confirm that the person bending over her was Joohyun. She needed so badly to see Joohyun in front of her. 

 

“Seulgi? Are you awake? Can you hear me?” 

 

The moment her vision stabilised, Seulgi felt tears cloud her vision. 

 

It was Joohyun. And other than the bandage round her head, she looked fine. 

 

She wanted to call out to Joohyun but was parched and all she could manage were scratchy noises. 

 

“Seulgi, if you can hear me, blink,” Joohyun bent lower, cupping Seulgi’s face with one hand and the artist instantly melted into her touch. 

 

Oh how she missed Joohyun’s warmth. 

 

Looking back up at Joohyun, she blinked and instantly, she felt drops of tears fall on her face and mix with hers as her own tears fell from the corners of her eyes.

 

“I’ll go get the doctor.” 

 

And even though Seulgi wanted Joohyun to stay, to cup her face for a little longer, to look at her in all her beauty, to ask her if her head hurt or if she was okay, she could not summon the strength to do so. 

 

And with that, she slipped into another slumber. 

 

———

 

When Seulgi awoke once more, she felt a little more energetic. Slowly, she opened her eyes and felt the warmth encompassing her hand. A smile stretched across her face. Without a doubt, that was Joohyun. 

 

She wanted to thank the heavens so badly for letting her live. If she had died, there was something she would regret greatly. 

 

Tilting her head to the left, she saw Joohyun sleeping and holding her left hand as though her own life depended on it. Straining against the restrictive bandages and the wires that were hooking her up to various machines, she brought her right arm over to cover Joohyun’s hands. Her right thumb the back of Joohyun’s hand and she let out a sigh, oh how she missed feeling of Joohyun’s skin against hers. 

 

However, that very small action seemed to wake Joohyun up. Rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes, she began tending to Seulgi immediately. 

 

“Seul? How are you feeling? Do you want anything?” 

 

still parched, Seulgi let her eyes travelled to the side of the bed, where a tumbler full of water was standing. Joohyun quickly caught on and moved over to quickly pour Seulgi a cup of water. Sticking a straw into the cup, she bent over and helped remove the oxygen mask over Seulgi’s mouth before placing the straw into Seulgi’s mouth. 

 

Seulgi swore that water never tasted this good. 

 

her chapped lips once she had drained the cup of water, Seulgi flashed her eyesmile at Joohyun. Throughout this entire time, they had their hands intertwined and neither of them had the intention to let them go. 

 

As Joohyun took her seat next to the bed once Seulgi had drunk her fill, Seulgi tugged on her hand, indicating to her that she wanted her to come closer. 

 

“Joohyun,” she croaked. She felt the grip on her hand tighten after she called out the Daegu native’s name. 

 

“What is it Seul? I’m here, I’m listening.” 

 

“Joohyun, please be mine?”

 

Shock etched itself onto Joohyun’s face at Seulgi’s sudden question and confession. At Joohyun’s silence, Seulgi continued in a raspy voice. 

 

“Joohyun, I almost died back there and I woke up feeling the regret of not asking you to be my girlfriend. God has given me another chance at life so even if you reject me, I just had to try my luck and pop the question.” Seulgi let loose one of her toothy grins. “I hope you don’t mind.” 

 

Silence ensued for a moment before Joohyun let her tears run tracks down her cheeks.

 

“I thought you would never ask.” 

 

Seulgi brought her hand up to wipe away Joohyun’s tears. She had a second chance to make things right and she had. 

 

From this point on Joohyun was hers. 

 

Cupping Joohyun’s face, she looked at Joohyun square in the eye and it seemed as though both of them knew what each other wanted. 

 

Joohyun bent over and, noses brushing, gently pressed her lips against Seulgi’s. 

 

Eyes closed, the two enjoyed the feel of each other’s lips on the other.

 

And even though one of them had a head injury while the other was bedridden, at the very point, both of them swore that nothing could ever feel so right. 

 

--------

Oh excites excites yey Seulrene are finally together.

Wonder why they need a car crash to realise their feelings but then again one is a blur bear and the other's a granny xD

One of my shorter chapters but I hope it satisfies your Seulrene feels :)

I'm tried and yes, that is an excuse for me not to proofread my chappies.

Comments are welcomed :) I would really appreciate it if more of you could comment so I can improve my writing and stuffs

I think the story is gonna get boring from here on probs like fluff? And sweet so you end up getting diabetes.

Won't last beyond 10 chapters haha I need to keep my stories short or else I would never finish them.

I actually have 92 subscribers for this short story now that's cool ahahaha :)

If I hit 100 maybe I'll do something nice lol.

Thanks to mikito, jess1218, kenji_eros, IrSeWeJoYe and recrecrec for the upvotes :)

P.s. anyone wanna do a poster for this fic for me? Ahahaha :)