Panel 2

Windows

When Seulgi got home, she found herself not sketching the usual scenery or portraits she used to. 

 

Closing her eyes, she recalled the beautiful face she had seen this morning. 

 

She hadn’t gotten that beautiful girl’s name and number. According to the latter she ‘had to earn it’.

 

Playing hard to get huh.

 

Seulgi smiled to herself. Looked like her new subject was not only beautiful but interesting as well. 

 

Picking up the pencil but instead of sketching on the paper placed on the easel, Seulgi moved over to the table facing the window and opened her sketchbook instead. 

 

And thus she began, soft, swift of her pencil moved across the paper to draw the first draft of her subject. 

 

Seulgi only did this when she wanted to draw her subject to absolute perfection. 

_____

 

“Is something wrong?”

 

Irene’s eyebrows shot up at the sound of her coworker’s voice. Only then did she realise how sore her knees were feeling. She must have been squatting for quite a period of time.

 

“Ah no,” Irene replied with a nervous laugh. 

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” Bogum smiled.

 

“It’s nothing,” Irene assured her coworker. 

 

And Irene’s ‘nothing’ referred to a particular girl who had piqued her curiosity immensely yesterday morning. 

 

She had constantly been on Irene’s mind even though the two of them had barely met for an hour. 

 

Their conversation had constantly been replaying itself like a broken record in Irene’s head and thanks to it, she had began to feel the urge to look outside windows. 

 

“Don’t you see something beyond these glass walls?” 

 

For the first time since she started working here, Irene plucked up some courage to look outside the windows of her working space. 

 

And she began to see what the mysterious woman’s words meant. 

 

She saw the beautiful orange brown leaves fall to the ground, creating a beautiful brown heap beneath the tree which turned into a leaf crater when a playful child decided to dive headfirst into it. 

 

She saw a couple sharing a tubful of chicken drumsticks, something which she probably would never be able to truly savour. 

 

And for the first time, she saw her girlfriend’s hair flutter through the wind as she approached Irene’s workplace. 

 

“You were expecting me?” Seungwan’s voice rang out as Irene met her gaze as her girlfriend stepped into the shop. 

 

Before Irene could reply, she felt the warmth of her girlfriend’s body press against her as she enveloped Irene in a hug. 

 

“Thought you hated looking out of windows,” Seungwan murmured into her ear before they pulled away. 

 

“I do, but then you know I can’t take my eyes off you,” Irene wiggled her eyebrows suggestively as Seungwan slapped her lightly on her shoulder, laughing her melodious laugh. 

 

“Ah, yes, of course,” Seungwan played along. “Bought you your favourite.”

 

And the two of them settled down to a delicious lunch filled with laughter. 

 

_____

 

“Ah, Seungwan, sorry but we need you to leave,” Bogum informed apologetically as a couple stepped into the wedding boutique. 

 

“Sure thing!” Seungwan flashed her megawatt smile before hastily getting up and checking her watch. “Bout time I got back to the office anyway.” 

 

“See you!” Seungwan placed a chaste kiss on Irene’s lips before exiting the boutique. 

 

“You got yourself a sweet one,” Bogum noted as the doorbell tinkled once more, signalling the entrance of another visitor. 

 

And boy was she gorgeous. 

 

Today seemed like a day of first times because for the first time, Joohyun was starstruck by the visitor’s beauty. 

 

She hadn’t realised she had been staring until Bogum came over with the visitor and gently pushed her bottom jaw upwards. 

 

The laughter that followed resounded in her ears beautifully. 

 

“Joohyun, I’d like you to meet Kang Seulgi,” Bogum introduced. “She’s here to paint the portrait of the couple against the backdrop they requested the other week.” 

 

“Ah oh yes! Uh, nice to meet you! I've heard about you before!” Joohyun stumbled over her words, mentally face palming herself for her terrible introduction. Why did her heart skip a beat? Why couldn't she look into the other girl's eyes? Why were the tips of her ears turning red?

 

The only plausible explanation was that the brunette was the cause of all of it. 

 

"Nice to meet you too...although our introduction yesterday left a much more indelible impression in my head," Seulgi smirked. Before Irene could even process what the brunette meant by that, Seulgi brushed past her, holding up a small card between her index and third finger. 

 

"Bae Irene, look's like I just got your name and number without having to earn it," Seulgi commented as she looked over her shoulder before pocketing Irene's namecard. 

 

And Seulgi's mischievous smile sure didn't escape Irene's gaze. 

 

---

 

Seulgi stayed for the next three hours, during which no more visitors came into the boutique. Joohyun had chosen to lean against the cabinet as she watched the artist work her magic while Bogum was in the storeroom checking stocks. The paintbrush moved expertly across the canvas while the couple moved leisurely around the backdrop, allowing Seulgi to capture every possible detail and angle which the couple made. Joohyun should have been looking at the beautiful couple but she could not tear her eyes away from Seulgi's face. She observed how Seulgi's eyebrows would furrow in concentration when she tried to get even the most minute details right and noted how a slight smile would adorn her face when she finally managed to capture that detail.

 

A strand of hair fell past Seulgi's face as she was drawing but with her hands full and fingers covered with an assortment of different colours of paint, she couldn't sweep it behind her ear. That was when Joohyun went up and moved the strand behind her ear for her. 

 

That was one action which Joohyun regretted. 

 

As she moved the strand of hair behind Seulgi's ear, she felt the smoothness of her skin, the curve of the shell of her ear and the warmth Seulgi was emitting. When Joohyun pulled away, she felt sadness at the loss of contact. Squeezing her eyes shut, she retreated back to her original spot. She had a girlfriend. She shouldn't be feeling this way. 

 

---

 

"The day's still young. Could I buy you coffee?" Seulgi asked Irene as she was packing up. 

 

"Seulgi, I-I think we need to establish some boundaries." Irene's statement had Seulgi's complete attention. 

 

"I'm attached." 

 

It would be an understatement to say that Seulgi's heart dropped. She blinked a couple of times to try to process whatever Irene had said before plastering a weak smile on her face. 

 

"Ah! Yes I understand but I didn't mean it that way! You know, like since we're gonna be working together more often now, I should try to get to know you better no?" 

 

"How do you know we're gonna be working together more often now?" 

 

"I just entered into a long-term contract with your boss." 

 

Silence enveloped the room as the artist dropped the bomb on the employee. Seulgi noted the mixed expressions on Irene's face: her eyes sparkled with something like happiness but she was trying so hard to hide her emotions that her jaw had tightened and her lips were in a frown. 

 

But the nervousness engulfing the artist didn't last for long as Irene finally replied. 

 

"Ok I'll grab coffee with you." 

 

---

 

The cold autumn breeze hit the two of them the moment they exited the boutique. Joohyun couldn't tell if it was out of instinct or personal want but she found herself reducing the proximity between her and Seulgi. With shoulders brushing and footsteps in time with the other, an awkward silence hung in the air as the duo headed towards a nearby coffee shop. But an awkward silence did nothing to deter the two from sneaking glances at each other. 

 

Joohyun felt a small smile grace her lips as she watched how Seulgi burrowed the bottom half of her face into her scarf to ward off the cold. She wanted to reach over and pinch the red tip of the artist's nose but she tore her eyes away from the work of art before she couldn't restrain herself. 

 

And almost instantly, Joohyun felt Seulgi's gaze fall on her. She felt blood rush to her cheeks and she looked to her left to prevent herself from looking back at the artist and getting lost in those eyes that seemed to sparkle with the stars of the universe. 

 

"Ah we're here," Seulgi announced their arrival. Joohyun smiled in thanks as Seulgi held the door open for her and she noted the way Seulgi's eyes would crease into crescents as she smiled back.

 

She's so handsome.

 

It was the heat that was causing her heart rate to speed up, Joohyun reasoned as she stepped into the warm coffee shop. The aroma of her favourite beverage filled her lungs as she took a deep breath and let out a long contented sigh. 

 

"Looks like I've got a coffee addict on my hands." 

 

"Excuse me!" Joohyun laughed as her playful side took over and she gave Seulgi a light slap on her shoulder. 

 

"Ouch! Damn!" Seulgi exaggerated as she held her shoulder in mock pain. "You have quite the slap for someone your size!" 

 

And the two of them laughed in unison as the waitress led them to a vacant table.

 

Joohyun felt as though she and Seulgi were old friends as they got acquainted over coffee. Seulgi was quite the charmer and in Joohyun's mind, a total retard. She would say the stupidest things or act like a four-year-old just to make Joohyun laughed and for the first time in months, Joohyun laughed the hardest she had ever had. While the laughter was part of the conversation, the other consisted of Joohyun completely losing herself in Seulgi's eyes as well as losing track of the conversation multiple times. While Joohyun had flushed in embarrassment, Seulgi had brushed the weird responses off with a throaty laugh before moving onto another topic. 

 

And that was one of the things Joohyun took a great liking to -- the fact that Seulgi was so easy to talk to, always helping Joohyun out of their suddenly awkward conversations as well as playing the role of a great listener when Joohyun needed her to be one. 

 

But above all, Joohyun liked how respectful a person Seulgi was. Never once did Seulgi try to flirt with her or initiate any skin contact that would make Joohyun feel uncomfortable. It indicated to her how Seulgi respected Joohyun's boundaries as a person who was attached and Joohyun really liked that. As someone who constantly had her private space invaded since young, it was refreshing and welcoming to meet someone who respected her personal space. And interestingly enough, this particular aspect had Joohyun warmly welcoming this girl into her small circle of friends.

 

And nature's call had Joohyun leaving the table to go relieve herself.

 

---

 

Seulgi let out an exasperated sigh as she sunk into her chair. This was ing torturous. She had a goddess right in front of her, but had to keep her hands to herself. After all, Irene was attached.

 

Closing her eyes to take a quick rest, Seulgi recalled how she wanted to reach and hold Irene's hand on the way to the coffee shop or the moment where she wanted to snake an arm around Irene's waist and plant a quick peck on her cheek as the waitress led them to the table. She smiled as she recalled how Irene's plump cheeks flushed as she gave a response that totally did not answer Seulgi's question and remembered how she wanted to reach across and feel the warmth in the palm of her hand.

 

She's attached goding dammit. Control your hormones you bear.

 

But Seulgi's alone time didn't last long as the shrill sound of the chair dragging across the floor broke her out of her reverie. A visibly pissed Irene with tear-stained cheeks greeted her and she watched as Irene hastily grabbed her belongings before storming out of the cafe. 

 

"Ire-" Seulgi barely had time to even call the girl and demand an explanation before the tinkling of the door bell fell silent, leaving Seulgi alone with two lukewarm cups of coffee for company. 

 

---

 

Seungwan?

 

That was strange, what was Seungwan doing here? Shouldn't she be in the office working right now? Questions began to flood Joohyun's mind as she spotted her girlfriend through the window as she exited the toilet. Smiling, Joohyun immediately concealed herself behind the storeroom door as she spied on Seungwan, trying to look for the opportune moment to surprise her.

 

As she watched, a tall muscular man about twice Seungwan's size approach her girlfriend and Joohyun immediately felt cold sweat forming on her forehead. Was Seungwan in danger? Instinct took over and she dashed out through the back door. 

 

"Stay away from her!" 

 

All she saw was how Seungwan's eyes widened while the man immediately took to his heels, dropping whatever he was holding. 

 

"Are you okay?" Joohyun grabbed Seungwan by the shoulders and forced her to face her. Relief engulfed her entire being as she noticed that Seungwan was perfectly fine and she pulled her girlfriend into a tight hug. 

 

"Joohyun, I-"

 

That was when Irene saw it. 

 

The packet the man had dropped as he made his escape.

 

No, it can't be.

 

Joohyun's breath hitched and hands shaking, she pushed Seungwan away from her. 

 

There, clutched tightly in her girlfriend's hand, was a hundred dollar bill. 

 

Having spent nearly every waking moment with her girlfriend on weekends, Joohyun knew that Seungwan didn't do drugs. 

 

And that could only mean one thing. 

 

"Seung-seungwan? What was going on?"

 

Irene watched as Wendy's gaze fell upon the white packet lying on the ground. And before she could react, she saw her girlfriend making a mad lunge for it.

 

Adrenaline pumped through Joohyun's veins as on reflex, she kicked the white packet far away from Seungwan's reach. 

 

"Seungwan what the is going on?!"

 

"Joo-Joohyun it's not what you think-"

 

"Not what I think it is? You meeting a shady customer, at one of the most desolate areas in the neighbourhood, carrying out a dubious transation that involves a puny packet of white substance and a hundred dollars and you still have the ing guts to tell me it's not what I think it is? Are you asking me to spell it out for you?!" Joohyun was nearly screaming at this point. Tears were flooding her eyes at the sudden revelation that explained so much -- why Seungwan had business transactions to attend to late at night, why she couldn't bring Joohyun along, why she couldn't divulge the location at which she was meeting her customers. Everything made so much sense now and yet there was a part of Joohyun who really wished that this entire incident that was unfolding was really a misunderstanding, that it wasn't what she thought it was, and the Seungwan she knew was the pure and innocent Seungwan who was, for some reason, implicated into this mess. 

 

"Joo-"

 

"Are you dealing drugs?"

 

Joohyun let out a shaky breath as she noticed how Seungwan couldn't meet her eyes.

 

"Answer me, goddammit!"

 

"Joohyun, I-"

 

"Yes or no?!" 

 

And when Seungwan remained silent, that was when Joohyun realised that her suspicions were spot on. 

 

"We're over." 

 

And with that, Joohyun dashed back into the cafe, no longer able to hide her tears that trickled down her cheeks. 

 

Don't you see something beyond these glass walls? Something that might break you down completely?

 

And as Seulgi's words from their first meeting replayed in her head, Joohyun realised that was one of the reasons why she hated windows.

 

-----

Now, we all know Wendy is beautifully nice and talented (I'm her fan too!)

So I apologise if I didn't do her justice in this chapter but you'll understand her intentions later on.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. One of the times where I update pretty quickly.

Trying to link each chapter to windows...somehow...

Comments are appreciated. Silent readers can stare out the window and think about life.

Might wanna find someone who's willing to read thru my chapters before posting? I think my style of writing's kinda boring idk :/