Chapter 5

Red String
-Y/N-

 
                “Y/n? What are you doing?” Shiro asked, waving a hand in front of my face.
                “Staring at the wall.” I answered, my eyes starting to water from being open much too long.
                “You look like you’re going to cry.” The ravenette’s brows furrowed, concern written all over his face.
                “I haven’t blinked for two minutes.” I resisted the urge to blink, disregarding the stinging sensation in my eyes.
                “Why’d you start a staring contest with the wall?”
                “I didn’t mean to… I was thinking, lost in my thoughts, and then the wall provoked me! I swear!” I smiled, trying not to laugh as my eyes started to twitch. Shiro stayed silent for a moment, watching me struggle to keep my eyes open. I eventually gave in, blinking my eyes rapidly before squeezing them shut and rubbing at them furiously. “Okay, bad idea! Bad! Idea!” I whined, opening my eyes to look up at my roommate.
                “Your eyes are red,” he smirked, amused by the pain I had acquired by making such a bad decision. “Hurry and get ready, our shift starts in thirty minutes,”
                “What, seriously? But I just got home from school!” my eyes widened as I grabbed the digital clock from the table beside the couch my behind had previously resided, “Or… not… apparently I got home an hour ago…” I mumbled in shock, glancing up at the white haired male.
                “You zoned out for an hour? You haven’t done that in a while,” he laughed, though I could still see the concern laced across his features and worry in his eyes.
                “Yeah, guess I lost track of time while I was thinking. I go put my uniform on, wait for me at the door!”
 
                “What were you thinking about?” I raised my head in shock as Shiro and I walked down the sidewalk, now only a couple blocks from the Death Café.
                “W-what?” I asked, startled. I didn’t think he was going to question me now…
                “You’re obviously upset about something. You have been since we were at Soul and Maka’s place a couple days go. What’s on your mind?” I smiled, knowing Shiro could see right through me, so there was no point in lying.
                “Soul said he’s in love with someone. I can’t get his face out of my head; the face he made when he talked about her. He made a face, a face that only people in love make when they think about that certain someone.” I sighed, a sad smile gracing my features as we arrived at work.
                “He didn’t say who she was, right?”
                “No, why?”
                “He could’ve been talking about you,” Shiro smiled and waved at our coworkers; the ones we’re here to relieve.
                “Why would you think that?” my lips pulled upwards into an automatic, bright smile, as I followed suit, waving at our coworkers.
                “Let’s just say it’s a gut feeling.” Shiro laughed, “By the way, I figured out who the ‘stalker’ was.”
                “Really? Who was it?”
                “Kid. He apologized yesterday, said he had wanted to talk to me but I was busy the entire time and he couldn’t find the right moment to but in.” Shiro laughed, “I was pretty busy that day, rushing everywhere and whatnot. Anyways, he asked me on a date. That’s what he wanted to talk about.”
                “What’d you say?” I could feel myself growing excited as I stopped, balling my fists and holding them to my chest, staring at him hopefully and full of interest. Shiro backed away awkwardly, taken aback by my sudden change in mood.
                “W-well, I agreed, of course. I… didn’t exactly have a reason to refuse. Kid’s cool, and hot. Mind you, the whole ‘everything must be symmetrical’ thing is kind of weird… but hey! Everybody has their quirks!” Shiro laughed, taking my hand and pulling me into the back room, so we could put our stuff in our lockers.
                “Oh, this is perfect! I totally thought you’d be the one to make the first move, but wow I like this progress even more!”
                “Waitwaitwait… did you know this would happen?”
                “That’s for me to know, and you to keep your pretty white nose out of!” I winked, dropping my bag into my locker and locking it. “Now, let’s get to work!”
 
                Ding ding. The café’s door bell rang, alerting Shiro and I of a new customer.
                “Welcome to the Death Café! Please take a seat anywhere, and I’ll be right with you!” I tilted my head and turned towards the door, giving the person a large, close-eyed smile as I recited the words, pleased with how well the day has been going.
                “Hey, Y/n.” a familiar voice chimed in my ears, echoing in my mind. I opened my eyes, shock written all over my face.
                “Soul! What are you doing here?” I questioned, taking a few steps over to the albino male.
                “Hmm, wanted to ask you for advice.” Soul glanced around the café, his eyes full of boredom. “Can the café spare you for a few minutes?” I looked around the café, at the few customers we have at the current time.
                “Yes, but only for a few minutes. The busy hour starts in twenty minutes, so Shiro and I will have to prepare…” I trailed off, lost in thought once again as I made a few hand signs to Shiro, alerting him that I’d be going out for a few minutes. He nodded, giving me a smile as Soul and I made our way outside.
                “Soo… what is it?” I twirled, taking in the fresh, cool air before stopping directly in front of Soul, his cheeks tinted a light pink as he stared at me.
                “W-well, it’s about… what I told you a couple days ago…” Soul scratched the back of his head, glancing off to the side.
                “Oh, about the girl?” I asked, my heart dropping slightly. I tilted my head, placing a finger on my chin as curiosity filled my eyes. “You need advice, regarding her?”
                “A-ah, yeah… I’m not entirely sure what to do…” the albino teen rubbed the back on his neck, embarrassed.
                “Tell her you love her, of course.” I stated bluntly, as though it were obvious.
                “Well, I know that… but how? I mean… oh, I don’t know,” he sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets, “If a guy were to confess to you… but slowly… how would you want it to be done?”
                “How would I…?” I stared at him in shock, a small smile creeping its way onto my face, “Well, I think I’d want him to just come right out an say it. But, if you’re talking about slowly… like, building up to the confession point over a few days, I’d say… spending time together, and compliments are always good.” I smiled sadly at the ground, imagining what it would be like, “But what’s most important, is making the other person know you care, you know?”
                “Yeah… er, thanks.” Soul smiled, taking a few steps down the sidewalk, turning around mid-step, “By the way, Y/n, that uniform looks great on you. You’re adorable.”
                And with that, he was gone, leaving me standing there, alone, in front of the Death Café, my face a deep crimson, eyes wide, and mouth slightly ajar.