Prologue

Red String
 
-Y/N-

        I've always been a little strange; seeing things other people can't, having weird dreams only to watch them come true, you know, things like that. My best friend, Shiro Tsukiyama, says I'm what's called a 'psychic'. Sounds pretty cool, right? Well, the only thing I like about this ability, is the fact that I can see the 'Red String' that's wrapped around my pinky finger. It brings me hope that I'll find the person attached to the other end someday. "The 'Red String of Fate' is really amazing! I still can't believe it actually exists...  do I have a red string around my pinky? Can you help me find my soul mate, Y/n? I can't stand to wait any longer! If I do, I just might die!" Shiro gasped dramatically, resting the back of his left hand on his forehead for an extra effect as he picked up the tray for table 5. I've been working at Deathbucks Cafe for nearly two years now, but Shiro has been here for five years. This place is where we met. I'm sixteen now, while Shiro is just three years older than I. 
        "Maybe if you're a good boy, I'll help you out." I shot a wink towards my best friend, and giggled a bit, starting to prepare a sandwich for the lady at table 3.
        "Awh, no fair, Y/n! You help others out all the time now! I swear you've made a bazillion perfect couples! And half of them are married now!" Shiro whined as he came back, picking up the sandwich and cup of green tea, setting the items on the tray. Sending me a pout, Shiro spun on his heels, plastered a big smile on his face, and walked over to table 3, setting the sandwich and green tea on the table with a simple 'Here you go! Call if you need anything else, ma'am!'
 
~•🌟•~

        Slipping on a simple pair of white shorts and a plain black tank top, I searched through my locker for my purple sweater, frustrated when I came up with nothing. "Check your bag, it's probably in there." Shiro said, boredom lacing through his words as he sat in the corner staring up at the ceiling. You must be wondering, 'Why the hell am I getting changed with a male in the room?', well, the answer to that is simple. Shiro has absolutely no interest in the female body. In fact, he's gay. Not the stereotypical gay, he's just like any other guy, only difference is he likes guys and not girls.
        Ripping my bag open, I growled, seeing my purple sweater stuffed beside my books. "I can't believe I forgot it was in here! Ugh, I should probably stop putting my sweaters in my bag... I always forget about it..." I mumbled, pulling my arms through the soft sleeves. Shiro grabbed my wrist, dragging me outside into the cool air.

        "Finally! Outside at last! Fresh, cool air is soo much better than that stuffy, hot room!" Shiro laughed spinning around with his arms stretched open wide.
        "Ow! Watch it, !" Snapping my head up at the sound of a new voice, I noticed a boy with striking red eyes. Letting my own eyes wander around him and the people he was with, I noticed the rather large group of teenagers all wore DWMA uniforms. Smiling, I apologized for Shiro, roughly planting my hand on the back of his head and forcing his to bow with me, growling at him to apologize, noticing the red strings attached to each of their pinky fingers.
        "Soul, be nice! I'm really sorry about him!" I girl with dirty blonde pigtails laughed nervously, before a loud voice interrupted the awkward exchange.
        "Hey! Aren't you that psychic girl everybody's talking about!?" Shocked, I stared at the blue haired male as a blush creeped its way onto my face.
        "I-I didn't know people were talking about me...” I stuttered shyly, unsure of where this was going.
        "Oh! I heard you help people find their soul mates!" The blonde girl said excitedly, "How does that work exactly?" She stared at me, her eyes filled with curiosity. I could feel all eyes on me at that moment, and I heard Shiro stifle a laugh.

        Glaring slightly at the boy beside me, I returned my focus to the teens in front of me as I felt a slight tug at my pinky finger. "W-well... it's actually really simple for me... you've heard of the Red String of Fate, right? Well, I can see it... all I do to help people is to help them follow the string to the person on the other end...” I explained, unsure of how they would react. Feeling another tug at my pinky finger, I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down, seeing the red string tied around it pull and tug at my finger. Sighing, I let my eyes follow the string until they landed on another pinky finger, belonging to one of the teens in front of me. Looking up slowly, I stared at the albino, as he looked around, obviously bored. My heart began to beat faster and I could feel my cheeks darkening.
        The blonde girl noticed where my eyes had wandered and giggled a bit, holding out her hand and catching my attention. "Hi, my name is Maka, and this is Soul!"
        My eyes caught with Soul's, and we just stared at each other for what felt like an eternity.

        And that was the beginning of an amazing adventure.