Chapter Kris

Crazy Cat Lady

The next morning Esmae woke up to the maid at her door, asking if she was present. With a quick call, the employee walks off to find an empty room to clean and Esmae has to carefully slither out of bed from all the cats snuggling with her. 

She really was turning into a crazy cat lady, and she was proud of it.

"Ugh, I'm so single." She mumbles to herself as she presses her feet into the hotel carpet and scavanges through her suit case for fresh clothes. She packed enough for the week, which wasn't even over yet. After a quick wire to her bank account, she was even able to get an apartment in under a week.

Chen jumps up and stretches nearby, meowing his concern and making her smile.

"Yeah, and it's your fault." She accuses and he tilts his head to the side as if proud, which, considering that this is Chen, was probably true. Esmae ruffles his fur as revenge and she walks into the bathroom with her arms full to shower. When she comes out, smelling like "rain-kissed leaves," Jongin was still sleeping, but he looked far more content than he was yesterday, so Esmae couldn't bother to wake him.

"I'm going to sign some things for a little while, but I'll be back soon, alright?"

They meow at her, a few with objection, but she waves and guiltily closes the door behind her. She enters the elevator and slides it down to the lobby, waving at the person behind the counter before greeting the post-blizzard world. The wind had died down entirely and left the clouds broken so the sun could peep out. In the on-and-off rays of sunlight the snow drifts would glitter.

Since her destination wasn't too far off, and it looked to be a good day, Esmae decides to walk, but it wasn't entirely in her favor.

First thing to happen to her for the day was for a hand to reach out and suddenly grab her - in plain day light - and push her between two buildings. It was still very open and there were people walking by, so she didn't feel threatened.

And, especially since the man who grabbed her was one tall and handsome hunk of yes please. He had a cold look to his eyes, but that could easily be overlooked. Feeling suddenly shy from forgetting how to talk, Esmae's stuck with partially open as the man glances both directions before taking a step closer to her, as if he was relaying a secret.

"What did you do to them?" He asks and his voice takes her off guard so much she almost jumps, but calms down and tilts her head in confusion.

"What?"

"I saw you with them yesterday!" He claims and Esmae blinks.

"The cats? Oh my gosh, are they your's? I've been wondering if you even existed! Is Chen your's too? Because I'm too attached to him to let go now." She exclaims and the man presses his finger to her lips to make her quiet down.

"Cats?" He asks and she nods her head like he didn't understand.

"Is there something or someone else you saw me with yesterday?" She asks and he shakes his head, taking a step back. Esmae relaxes as the man stands in thought, then places his gaze back on her.

"How many do you have with you?" He asks.

"Uh...five? Yeah, five."

"Their names?"

"Crap. Okay, um. Chen, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Jongin. Yeah, that's all of them. How many did you lose?"

The man's gaze on her seems to soften and he looks her over, but Esmae isn't offended or surprised by it. She could imagine what it felt like to lose all of his animals. Maybe, since he was so cute and had so many cats, they could get married and be the crazy cat couple. Then she wouldn't be so human deprived for the rest of her life.

But what was she thinking? She literally just met the guy and now was already thiking of marriage. He could kidnap her for all she knew. Esmae shakes her head slightly to dispel her strange imagination and looks back at the stranger talking to her.

"I didn't lose any of them." He explains and Esmae purses her lips.

"So you wanted them to be on the street?" She asks and he shakes his head, but still appeared to be in thought.

"No. I'm only looking for them now, actually." He confesses and Esmae's eye light up.

"Oh my gosh! Could they be like some sort of secret organization, or maybe they're gods or some sacred animal and I'm going to recieve the dragon's pearl only it's a cat's pearl? I have to do something, but I'm asking Chen that as soon as I get back!" Esmae concludes and, before she can say anything else, the stranger suddenly slips back into the crowd and disappears, leaving Esmae in confusion.

Taking her time to shrug it off, she hurries to the realtor and becomes the owner of her very own appartment.

And, not unusual for her now, on her way home she comes across a Siamese cat sitting by that same meeting place with the stranger, his bent tail flickering as he seemingly waits for her with his steely gaze. Esmae stops walking and looks at him with a blank expression, finally sighing and kneeling down next to him.

"If that dude was your owner, then how many cats does he own? Ah, Baekhyun would hiss if I said he was owned by anyone, so I take that back." She mutters and examined the identical collar, "Kris? I don't suppose you know English, huh?"

Kris just blinks his cold eyes, his tail continuing to flicker.