Chapter Jongin

Crazy Cat Lady

The first apartment was too small, the second too big, and the third someone was still in the process of moving out.

That was where she met trouble.

The realtor brought her inside only to find boxes stacked by the door and a woman frantically running around, trying to make sure everything was put away. When she spots them she stiffens, but calms when she recognizes the man with Esmae.

"Ah, sorry for the mess. I didn't know what time you were coming by," She apologizes and tries to shift the boxes aside for them to enter, "I suppose I could give you a quick tour."

"If you need to do something then I can take it from here." The man replies and she bows to him thankfully before rushing to another room. The realtor, Mr. Bang, smiles at Esmae and gestures for her to enter deeper. Esmae's expression was concern, but she nods and steps further into the apartment. The style was acceptable, and she liked how the upper level was like a balcony. They overlook the furniture currently in the place and examine the kitchen and view of the upper level apartment.

"Damn cat!" The woman yells from the balcony just as they were about to go up the stairs. The woman attacks a small auburn shape with a broom and it tries to hiss, only for her to sweep it between the railing bars. Esmae's quick to respond, diving for it as it falls and it lands in her arms, tense and growling.

Kyungsoo, in her hood, meows and uncovers himself. The other cat suddenly drops the angry look and he stares up at Esmae, who was looking at his collar.

"He keeps getting in here somehow." The woman complains and she walks down the stairs to take the cat back, but Esmae pulls back and Kyungsoo meows again.

"That's alright. I can hold him for now." Esmae waves her off and the woman gains a passively disgusted expression, but she was too busy to deal with this right now. the woman's phone rings and she answers it to argue with a moving truck driver.

The cat in her arms meows from inside his throat in apreciation and Esmae reads his tag, "Jongin."

With a quick sigh and the slumping of her shoulders, she already knows that she's going to have to keep this one as well. It sounds like he has no owner if he's been surviving the cold by sneaking into this apartment...somehow...

Esmae looks around for any sort of open air duct or clue as to how he could've gotten inside, but then she's being summoned up the stairs and shown around the office area. Soon, though, she'd have to uncover this mystery of the identical collars one day, but, today, she still had to chose a place to live.

When they leave she wraps Jongin up in her jacket and promises to come back to the office tomorrow to decide. She brings Jongin to the hotel and he's happy to meet the others. He seems to enjoy messing with Kyungsoo, which surprises her because all the others appeared to be terrified of the munchkin.

Messing includes biting his ears and purposely wiggling his tail in Kyungsoo's face, but the smaller cat gets his revenge later by climbing on top of Jongin while he was resting and smothering him.

Chanyeol was meowing at her as she orders food, so she feeds both him and Chen from the same bowl and shares with Baekhyun. Her application for being an English teacher was rejected, so she creates a resume for herself as a translator and sets herself up on several websites as she programs the hotel TV to an anime.

Later, she gives Jongin a bath and he actually lets her scrub him clean, even going as far as to rubbing against her arms with affection. Chen protests and jumps on the edge of the tub as a warning, which makes Esmae chuckle.

"Ah, so many new friends, huh Chen?" She jokes and he sits down, his tail flickering with annoyance.

The newlyweds call her and explain how they already got tickets to go back to America, and she explains how she was starting a new residence in South Korea, so they give their goodbyes for the future and Esmae prepares herself to sign the papers for their new apartment tomorrow.

Assuming that lady finally left it, that is.

"Jongin, when we get to the apartment you'll have to show me how you got in there."

The said cat perks up and his tail lifts into the air like he was trying to show off. Chanyeol suddenly pounces on it and they fly off the side of the mattress from the force of his tackle. Baekhyun makes a laughing noise from his place on the pillow and Esmae helps the two back up.

 

Then, after the room had gone dark and they were sleeping, Esmae wakes at the sound of voices, peeking through her half-closed eyes and seeing figures in the dark. By the time she reaches over to turn on the lights, though, it was only the five cats walking on the floor, looking up at her as if she had called out there names.