Chapter 3

House of Cards

The hall was lit only by one lamp residing at the back of it, by the stairs. The lamp cast a light over some pictures on the wall, a lone plant behind the lamp and a shadowy glow over the sofa and a floor mirror leaned back into the wall. A lone stool with unread pile of mail stood not far from one of the doors, while a mini cabinet - pretty much starting to gather mold - kept company to a white heater. Jungkook was sitting by the heater; all curled up and tears streaming down his face. The boy was an emotional mess the past few weeks and he felt like the loneliest person in the whole world. His body shook as he let out quiet whimpers, trying not to make too much noise. Other inhabitants of the hotel did not need to know in how much pain he was, thus he tried his best to keep quiet. Jungkook scanned the hall with his puffy eyes and the images from a few weeks ago appeared in his head on their own.

 

He was coming back home from the grocery store and expected to have cozy dinner with Yoongi. However, taking the steps to their apartment in the hotel, he realized loud music and people's voices were coming from their floor. Since hotel was low class, the owners payed no attention to whatever happened in the premise and closed their eyes to mostly anything.There was only one rule and the tenants followed it surprisingly well. Whatever you do, there can be no police involved when it comes to hotel. Thus the party was not a surprise. Yet Jungkook was worried, because recently Yoongi's partying became somewhat uncontrollable and his drinking was getting out of hand.

Opening the doors of the hall in their floor the boy was met with a sea of drunk bodies, jamming to the song without any apparent rhythm and shouting random things. He pushed himself past sweaty and intoxicated crowd, avoiding constant tries to his body or pull him into the 'joys' of dancing in this mass of wasted people, and somehow managed to reach the other end of the hall without losing the grocery bag. He spotted Yoongi on the sofa, chugging down soju straight from the bottle while some girl was feeding him whatever was on the plate. Jungkook gulped away a scream, because he perfectly knew drunk Yoongi was as good as deaf to whatever he said. Deep in his heart the boy knew Min Yoongi had no interest in that lady. But since the man now was completely drunk, there was no way to find out what his intoxicated mind was thinking.

Casting one sad glance he went upstairs to where their bedroom was located. He passed a few couples that were making out with half of their clothes missing, and reminded himself to tell Jackson tomorrow of the promise the boys was suppose to keep. His girlfriend would go super mad if she knew he was making out with random girls. Then he passed a few other neighbors - Daesung, Yugyeom, Heechul and Amber - playing cards in the middle of the stairs, the game already quiet in a heat. Jungkook had to carefully step over some already sleeping guests and then he walked by a lonely boy who was holding a red cup of soju but not drinking, just sadly staring at the party below him.

In the bedroom he expected to find unwanted guests but instead there was Taehyung, lying on his back with his arms behind his head. 

"TaeTae...." The boy was surprised to find the younger Kim here, yet he was thankful. Now he really needed a friend. "I thought you are visiting those two today..."

"No. I heard about this party from Joonie..." The slightly older one sighed. "He was invited by Yoongi but he had plans to drink elsewhere. I knew Yoongi partying meant you will be coming home late, so I decided to watch over your room at the very least; had nothing to do anyway."

"Figured.. Thanks..." Jungkook plopped on the bed next to Taehyung and pulled out boxes of salad, rice and jjajangmyeon. "Hungry?"

"Wasn't this for you and Yoongi?" The older asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"He is happier being drunk and fed by random females..." He swallowed a lump in his throat, not wanting to cry for something not worth it and opened the boxes, passing Taehyung a pair of chopsticks. "Let's dig in, wasting food is not in my 'to do' list."

 

Jungkook hugged himself tighter and started sobbing once again. Since that day he haven't seen Yoongi and he missed him like crazy. Whatever happened after the party; he didn't even want to remember. A small scar on his face still reminded him of that argument and he could no nothing but cry even more.

Jungkook didn't hear the hall doors opening, his body didn't react to Taehyung lifting him up and carrying to the apartment upstairs. It was where Yoongi and Jungkook lived until Yoongi suddenly disappeared. Jungkook couldn't bare sleeping there alone and usually would end up staying at Amber's.

Only when he felt the older boy cradle him in the strong embrace, did he let himself completely cry his heart out, clutching onto younger Kim's shirt and soaking it wet with his tears. Taehyung tightened the embrace and nuzzled his nose in his friend's hair, knowing how the boy needed comfort. He did this as a ritual nearly every day now, and he knew that in about half an hour - from exhaustion and lack of nutrients - Jungkook will fall asleep. He was wondering when was the last time his friend properly ate, aside the take out food Taehyung brought him occasionally. After all, the youngest boy always ate less than half of what Tae brought him. It worried the older one and he knew it was time to pay Yoongi a visit.

 

A/n. Oh my god, subscribers, comment writers and readers, thank you very much for the support!!! I am trying to update this whenever I can, but I am super busy this season. Well, I hope I don't disappoint you and I promise very soon chapters will be longer - and hopefully better, since I should have more free time here and there. Some things might be confusing, but it all be revealed later. Yet, if you have questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer without spoiling ^^; [Yah, Yoongi, how could you do this to Kookie >.> ]